Home schooling: the best and worst examples I've seen personally.

That is not the union doing this. The board's decisions prompted that issue. They do a particularly lousy job of affording due process and that trips up their actions according to contracts and laws regarding teacher misconduct. Did you ever notice these problems are usually in blue cities?

The union asked for the rules that created the situation, and draws out the processes against the accused.

Got a link to back that up?

And the Unions didn't seem to go for that when they kept putting off return to classrooms.
Teacher prep for on-line classes is 2-3 times harder than in-person instruction. I am sure there are hundreds of examples I could cite, but COVID certainly proved that remote learning simply is not as effective for most students. There have even been many threads on this topic in this forum. All you need to do is search a little.

On a more personal note, early in my career as a teacher, I was selected by my school district to evaluate on-line learning as a form of remediation. The program was never adopted because technology-trained teachers like my teammates and I decided the instructions results were not worth the effort and expense. During COVID, my three grandchildren had on-line instruction for a significant period of time. Their grades suffered and I doubt they will ever catch up as they lost about a years' worth of quality instruction.

The most important thing regarding instruction is that what the unions say is most often opposed by the rank-and-file teachers in the classroom. COVID was an example. My teacher friends all wanted to go back to class, but the unions in collusion with the local school boards and state governments kept them out.

Teacher prep for on-line classes is 2-3 times harder than in-person instruction. I am sure there are hundreds of examples I could cite, but COVID certainly proved that remote learning simply is not as effective for most students. There have even been many threads on this topic in this forum. All you need to do is search a little.

On a more personal note, early in my career as a teacher, I was selected by my school district to evaluate on-line learning as a form of remediation. The program was never adopted because technology-trained teachers like my teammates and I decided the instructions results were not worth the effort and expense. During COVID, my three grandchildren had on-line instruction for a significant period of time. Their grades suffered and I doubt they will ever catch up as they lost about a years' worth of quality instruction.

The most important thing regarding instruction is that what the unions say is most often opposed by the rank-and-file teachers in the classroom. COVID was an example. My teacher friends all wanted to go back to class, but the unions in collusion with the local school boards and state governments kept them out.

The teachers are part of the Unions, the Unions argue for them, therefore what the Unions do is on them.

The union asked for the rules that created the situation, and draws out the processes against the accused.
Why wouldn't they? Would you want to be fired based only on some ridiculous accusation? I was once called in and threatened by my principal with firing because I had been accused by a parent of racism towards her child. She complained to the school board that I was not appreciative of her concerns over a fight her son instigated. She quoted me as saying the n-word was just a word, which is exactly the complete opposite of what I told her, and I supported her 100% in her reasoning that the fight was racially motivated. Luckily, the assistant principal was present and heard my comment exactly as I claimed.

Do you think I should have been fired based on the accusation alone?

The school boards negotiate contracts. If they don't want something in a contract, it is their responsibility to deny its inclusion. I was a teacher and an administrator and saw the issue from both sides. few people have that point of view. I fired several teachers in my 18 months in the job, despite being told it couldn't be done.

Why wouldn't they? Would you want to be fired based only on some ridiculous accusation? I was once called in and threatened by my principal with firing because I had been accused by a parent of racism towards her child. She complained to the school board that I was not appreciative of her concerns over a fight her son instigated. She quoted me as saying the n-word was just a word, which is exactly the complete opposite of what I told her, and I supported her 100% in her reasoning that the fight was racially motivated. Luckily, the assistant principal was present and heard my comment exactly as I claimed.

Do you think I should have been fired based on the accusation alone?

The school boards negotiate contracts. If they don't want something in a contract, it is their responsibility to deny its inclusion. I was a teacher and an administrator and saw the issue from both sides. few people have that point of view. I fired several teachers in my 18 months in the job, despite being told it couldn't be done.

So everyone sitting in those rooms is innocent?

In big cities the school boards are dwarfed in power by the teacher's unions in political power.

So everyone sitting in those rooms is innocent?

In big cities the school boards are dwarfed in power by the teacher's unions in political power.
According to their rules and processes, it seems so because they cannot prove them to be guilty and remove them. I will admit that that situation is extremely messed up, but the elected DEM leaders caused it. Fortunately, is by far the exception rather than the rule.

Requiring parents to only home school up to the grade level they completed would at least be a step in the right direction. There are no requirements now.
When we did it, one of us had to have a college degree, so yes, there are requirements.

What about socialization skills and learning how to function in partner/team situations?
Making Education Conform to Natural Motivations

Instead of all this irrelevancy proposed by narrow-minded flunkies for either the authoritarian or permissive side of the ruling class, you've inadvertently mentioned a real solution that is not at all taking place in any of our educational robot factories:

Divide the classes into teams and quiz the students frequently. The team with the highest score will get Friday off; the team with the lowest will have to come in on Saturday. Individual high-scorers from four grades older will get paid to teach the Saturday classes.

And again, if homeschooling parents don't have the expertise to teach a subject, there are options that give their kids access to those who do. One option, as I've pointed out repeatedly, is an online curriculum that gives the student access to teachers and the parents become monitors making sure their kids can stay focused. Another is to homeschool until the kids get old enough that they're taxing the parents' ability to effectively teach (all the while keeping up with the SOL's), then put them back in private or government schools to finish out their years.
An Analogy That Diploma Dumbos Are Incapable of Realizing

You know the illogical criticism about pro athletes getting paid so much more than teachers? Not true if you consider that there are so many more teachers; only a few hundred of whom would make the major league of teachers, if there were such a group.

But there could be, if Internet websites, run by a few top people in school subjects, replaced the classroom. In fact, back in the 60s, I learned far more Latin outside the classroom from books such as Latin Made Simple, that era's equivalent of the For Dummies books. My Jesuit school's experimental new way of learning it would have failed as a website.

Yes but we should encourage more into trades and fewer into liberal arts
The Netrix Is Programmed With All the Wrong Answers

Replace the ruling class's "education" for the rest of us with highly paid professional training. Based on natural ability, not Daddy's Money or brown-nosing, bootlicking, workoholic no-talent class-climbing.

Well, that's a lie.....which I certainly expected from you.
Bait and Switch

A Rightist corpylover will use any excuse to blame unions, such as even teachers' unions for something they have no control over. This is because these bootlickers of the Plutes Who Wear the Boots love their bosses so much they want everybody else to go back to being paid pre-union slave wages. The real reason they blame FDR for Pear Harbor is that he empowered unions.

Forum List

Back