Should we ban college football and basketball?

Big college sports is big money for the school and the kids playing should be paid over and above the scholarship. I would hate to see college sports banned it would be a loss for everyone.

From all I have read, college football makes the money with revenue and TV money and helps support all the other sports programs.

Perhaps for the SEC...perhaps. Also, in fairness, the costs associated by most who harbor my view take the amount of money the scholarship players would be spending on their education and debit that--10 players at 20K = 200K the school isn't getting as if the players would be in college anyway. Meaning that people who share my view also like to say that the school lost 200K on the 10 players. Thats nonsense.

With states running deficits in the hundreds of millions of dollars if not billions, they shouldn't be funding college sports anymore than the Federal government should be funding the academy teams, public broadcasting, or any other frivolous enterprise.

Big time college football is big money, the TV contracts for BCS teams mean millions to each college. Look it up.

I may agree.

However, what about Highschool Football, the band, the cheerleaders, the Dance Team, the Field Maintenance, Security, lighting, etc?

None of this bring in Revenue to the Public School on TV, or otherwise.

Why does any highschool have the money to spend on this?

Sure. Why not? Then college students could spend their time drinking and drugging without worrying about missing practice.

Perhaps for the SEC...perhaps. Also, in fairness, the costs associated by most who harbor my view take the amount of money the scholarship players would be spending on their education and debit that--10 players at 20K = 200K the school isn't getting as if the players would be in college anyway. Meaning that people who share my view also like to say that the school lost 200K on the 10 players. Thats nonsense.

With states running deficits in the hundreds of millions of dollars if not billions, they shouldn't be funding college sports anymore than the Federal government should be funding the academy teams, public broadcasting, or any other frivolous enterprise.

Big time college football is big money, the TV contracts for BCS teams mean millions to each college. Look it up.

I may agree.

However, what about Highschool Football, the band, the cheerleaders, the Dance Team, the Field Maintenance, Security, lighting, etc?

I'm only replying to the idea that college football makes no money.

There are some high schools that make money in athletics.

Yes. They are fattening because everyone drinks beer when they watch. I expect New York to start the trend on this one.

There are many college coaches with multi-million $ contracts from their school. Then they make even more from books and tv and radio. Meanwhile the players, the ones who do the work and draw the fans and take the risks, get a $20,000 scholarship!!! Don't tell me the kids will make millions when they turn pros - very few will ever see a day in the pros.

College sports make a fortune for the coaches and the schools and the TV networks while the kids are screwed every way but right side up

You're an idiot, kid.

I may agree.

Most high schools sell tickets to the home games you know. And members of sports teams typically pay a fee to participate.

The money that colleges spend on sports could hire how many professors and fund how many labs?

According to the link I posted, the Univ of Alabama made over $22 million in profit from athletics. I'm thinking that paid for quite a few profs and labs.

Big conferences make money on football. Most colleges are not in the big conferences and don't make the money Alabama does.

Just make the coaches university employees like the professors and the problem will be solved.
They will not be allowed to take kickbacks fro athletic suppliers, etc and their slaaries will be regulated, etc.

and yes we will still have good quality coaches, just not bad ones that get fired and leave with 10 million severence packages and such.

The money that colleges spend on sports could hire how many professors and fund how many labs?

According to the link I posted, the Univ of Alabama made over $22 million in profit from athletics. I'm thinking that paid for quite a few profs and labs.

Big conferences make money on football. Most colleges are not in the big conferences and don't make the money Alabama does.

No, but there are plenty of schools that make a profit on their athletic depts. The list at the link I posted was a long one.

Just make the coaches university employees like the professors and the problem will be solved.
They will not be allowed to take kickbacks fro athletic suppliers, etc and their slaaries will be regulated, etc.

and yes we will still have good quality coaches, just not bad ones that get fired and leave with 10 million severence packages and such.

The money from endorsements and such are a big part of many head coach's salary. That is why when you hear one makes $5 million, you haveto ask how much comes from the school.

Forum List

Back