Should the Sons of Confederates Veterans get their license plates?

I suppose that the state can deny , probably will but as funders of the agency making the plates they should be able to get them APerez . Probably will deny due to 'p.c.' .
In Florida there was a battle for "Choose Life" license plates.
They're on the road, so.....

This was hashed out two weeks ago, with all the usual suspects taking the same sides they always take and making the same arguments they always make when anything Confederate is discussed.
Nobody gets convinced, much name calling ensues, thread eventually fades....

How 'bout them Astros?

The "Stars And Bars" flag was not the Flag of The Confederate States Of America, it was a battle flag, and not the only one.

I fly it proudly, same as the battle flag of the 16th Maine Infantry Regiment.

Should the Sons of Confederates Veterans get their license plates?

They should be making license plates.

The "Stars And Bars" flag was not the Flag of The Confederate States Of America, it was a battle flag, and not the only one.

I fly it proudly, same as the battle flag of the 16th Maine Infantry Regiment.
stars_and_bars.jpg

1st National or "Stars and Bars"

ANV_battle_flag.png

Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia

I suppose that the state can deny , probably will but as funders of the agency making the plates they should be able to get them APerez . Probably will deny due to 'p.c.' .
Im undecided

Again, a car license plate is the property of the state, not the car owner. No kind of regulation of what may or may not be on the plate amounts to "speech", nor is it the only avenue for said owner to display his/her message. They could mount whatever symbol or message they like on the front license plate; they could festoon bumper stickers.

Now prohibiting bumper stickers would run into COTUS conflicts but the plate belongs to the state, so the state gets to make the rules.

But if SCOTUS rules in favor of Texas, Florida can go ahead and ban the Choose Life plates.

But if SCOTUS rules in favor of Texas, Florida can go ahead and ban the Choose Life plates.

Florida can do that already. As can any state.
What makes you think SCOTUS would trifle with this sort of triviality?

Now prohibiting bumper stickers would run into COTUS conflicts but the plate belongs to the state, so the state gets to make the rules
The State of Texas hasn't set any rules. What are the rules?

Florida currently cannot do so without being taken to court though.

What gives you that idea?

Because the issue hasn't been settled in the SCOTUS. So if SCOTUS sides with Texas, Florida won't have to worry about a thing. They wont have to accept anything they consider too offensive.

Because the issue hasn't been settled in the SCOTUS. So if SCOTUS sides with Texas, Florida won't have to worry about a thing. They wont have to accept anything they consider too offensive.

Again I ask -- why would SCOTUS be trifling with crap like this?
It ain't rocket surgery -- the license plate belongs to the state, not the car owner. What happens if you sell your car? You have to return the plate to the state. Therefore they make the rules of what it looks like. It isn't a forum for public discourse. Any offer they might float to make some extra money or fundraise (I have one) is just that -- an offer. It isn't a medium for "speech". All of which means the state gets to dictate what the offer is, and what it isn't.

If that were not the case, you could order a plate that says "FUCK YOU". But you can't.

As you may have heard, a group called the Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV) wants to take advantage of a Texas program that allows private citizens to put their own message in their license plates. SCV's message would include a symbol of the Confederate flag.

There is debate as to whether this is public speech or private speech, or both.
I think this is a tricky case. What do you people think the Constitution calls for in this case? How do you think the judges will vote? This should be decided in the next couple of months.

Why shouldn't they? I don't understand. Daughters of the American Revolution have their own plates.

The issue iswhether a State that doesn't want a certain plate can say no. Maybe the state that approved the Daughters license plate just didnt have a problem with it. Texas Sees things different.

So I guess it's freedom of speech - as long as WE agree with you?

Again I ask -- why would SCOTUS be trifling with crap like this?
It ain't rocket surgery -- the license plate belongs to the state, not the car owner. What happens if you sell your car? You have to return the plate to the state. Therefore they make the rules of what it looks like. It isn't a forum for public discourse. Any offer they might float to make some extra money or fundraise (I have one) is just that -- an offer. It isn't a medium for "speech". All of which means the state gets to dictate what the offer is, and what it isn't.

If that were not the case, you could order a plate that says "FUCK YOU". But you can't.

That's bullshit and you know it. What will the "State" do when a gay guy wants to put "I'm queer" on a plate? Sound familiar? It's the damned cake thing all over again. If you are going to force bakers to cater to gays then so must the state.

If you are not going to allow free speech on license plates - then stop selling them to the public.

Forum List

Back