Should the Sons of Confederates Veterans get their license plates?

A Perez

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2015
As you may have heard, a group called the Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV) wants to take advantage of a Texas program that allows private citizens to put their own message in their license plates. SCV's message would include a symbol of the Confederate flag.

There is debate as to whether this is public speech or private speech, or both.
I think this is a tricky case. What do you people think the Constitution calls for in this case? How do you think the judges will vote? This should be decided in the next couple of months.

As you may have heard, a group called the Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV) wants to take advantage of a Texas program that allows private citizens to put their own message in their license plates. SCV's message would include a symbol of the Confederate flag.

I think this is a tricky case. What do you people think the Constitution calls for in this case? How do you think the judges will vote? This should be decided in the next couple of months.

Why shouldn't they? I don't understand. Daughters of the American Revolution have their own plates. Hell, I've seen plates that say "Fox E 1". Sons of the Confederate Veterans can't be any dumber than that....right?

Again - slavery was NOT the reason for the Civil War. It was a part (Read Abraham Lincoln) but it was only a part. As Lincoln put it - "If I could have saved the Republic and not have rid the country of slavery, I would have".

The Republic and stopping the South from Seceding was the primary concern of Lincoln.

A LETTER FROM PRESIDENT LINCOLN. - Reply to Horace Greeley. Slavery and the Union The Restoration of the Union the Paramount Object. - NYTimes.com

Lincoln makes himself abundantly clear in his letter to Horace Greely. So what is the big deal about the license plates?

I would not get one if it twas free....Just like I didn't join the Dean's list frat club...

I think I know why.

513q8Ol6yyL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

of course they should get the Confederate plates if they like !!

Why shouldn't they? I don't understand. Daughters of the American Revolution have their own plates.

The issue iswhether a State that doesn't want a certain plate can say no. Maybe the state that approved the Daughters license plate just didnt have a problem with it. Texas Sees things different.

Why shouldn't they? I don't understand. Daughters of the American Revolution have their own plates.

The issue iswhether a State that doesn't want a certain plate can say no. Maybe the state that approved the Daughters license plate just didnt have a problem with it. Texas Sees things different.
Like a blind bovine...

I suppose that the state can deny , probably will but as funders of the agency making the plates they should be able to get them APerez . Probably will deny due to 'p.c.' .

Like a blind bovine...

:rofl:

:puke:

I'd say this a free speech issue.

If some folks chose to read more into it than is there, that's their problem.

No one has a right not to be offended.

If the state is offering personally designed plates, then it should not discriminate based upon symbols. I think they have some discretion when it comes to outright obscenities. "FUCK U" for example. But these folks have as much right to their symbols as anyone else.

"Judges"? What judges?

This isn't a Constitutional issue. License plates are issued by the several states. What they permit on that plate is up to them. COTUS sez gummint can't restrict free speech, but that's not what a license plate is.

"Judges"? What judges?

This isn't a Constitutional issue. License plates are issued by the several states. What they permit on that plate is up to them. COTUS sez gummint can't restrict free speech, but that's not what a license plate is.
SCOTUS didnt say that.

COTUS, not SCOTUS. "Constitution Of The United States".

Who are these "judges" then?

Forum List

Back