Should Racial Views Get You Fired?

If you treat people differently because of your racist views then I think it's ok to fire you.

Here's an example of a time when I thought an employee should have been fired. I overheard a man at work telling someone he wished he had been present at Mathew Shepard's murder to have inflicted more damage. IMO, that constitutes a hostile work environment for lesbian and gay employees.
How is that hostile?

You overheard a man expressing his opinion on a social issue, which he has a right to do. He didn't issue his comments to you directly in a provocative or insulting form, so you are assuming the role of thought police by advocating suppression of his freedom of speech.

The fact that you don't like what he said is irrelevant. You should give a lot of thought to what you are advocating because it places Amendment One on a slippery slope. Freedom of speech is one of our most valuable and cherished Constitutional protections. Don't tamper with it because of your personal feelings.

MikeK, no one has free speech in the work place. The work place determines what is permissable.

No they won't. Don't you know we blacks are prone to violent outbursts?:eek:
only when the apes out number the human 5 to 1..and thats the Damn truth!!..unless the human victim is 85 or older ....and thats also the damn truth!!!and the Klitschko brothers are beating the hell out of every ****** that steps into the ring with them!!

Just think if this yidnar idiot worked with you, YOU ALL would be turning him in in hopes of him getting fired I bet!
That would depend on various circumstances. Essentially, Yidnar has a right to express his opinion -- provided he doesn't do it in a (directly) insulting, annoying or disruptive manner.

In this format anyone who doesn't like what Yidnar is saying is free to ignore it. But if you wish to pay attention to it and it offends you that is your fault, not his.

only when the apes out number the human 5 to 1..and thats the Damn truth!!..unless the human victim is 85 or older ....and thats also the damn truth!!!and the Klitschko brothers are beating the hell out of every ****** that steps into the ring with them!!

Just think if this yidnar idiot worked with you, YOU ALL would be turning him in in hopes of him getting fired I bet!
That would depend on various circumstances. Essentially, Yidnar has a right to express his opinion -- provided he doesn't do it in a (directly) insulting, annoying or disruptive manner.

In this format anyone who doesn't like what Yidnar is saying is free to ignore it. But if you wish to pay attention to it and it offends you that is your fault, not his.

And if the offended party is Skidmark's boss, Skidmark is out of a job. :thup:

Be realistic look how this asshole talk in here, if he behaved this way in the workplace he would get fired anyways without anyone having to do anything.:eusa_hand:

So which racial views should get you fired?

"Everything that is wrong with the world is the fault of blacks."

"Everything that is wrong with the world is the fault of Hispanics."

"Everything that is wrong with the world is the fault of Arabs."

"Everything that is wrong with the world is the fault of whites."

"Everything that is wrong with the world is the fault of Jews."

It is really clear that there are people on here who believe some of what I posted. If one believes ANY of it should he/she be fired? Or just if he/she believes ALL of it?

I'm SO confused by this thread!
Sunshine,

Any of those comments is simply an expression of opinion and is subject to intellectual challenge or debate -- provided one happens to be in the mood for such discourse. If not, to ignore the comment is the next best choice.

My ethnic lineage is German/Dutch. If someone said to me they believe everything that is wrong with the world is the fault of Germans or Dutchers, if I had the time and was in the mood I'd be interested in discussing that with him.

I wonder if he spouts his racist crap at work like he does on here. Should that be allowed?

I wonder if he has the courage to say those kinds of things in the real world. I suspect he will claim he does, but I wonder if he really does. Where does he work? Who does he work with? Does he work with minorities or are they all people just like him?

Immie
Employees who spout racist verbiage and treat customers poorly if they are black should be fired.
Now that is a valid reason to fire someone.

So which racial views should get you fired?

"Everything that is wrong with the world is the fault of blacks."

"Everything that is wrong with the world is the fault of Hispanics."

"Everything that is wrong with the world is the fault of Arabs."

"Everything that is wrong with the world is the fault of whites."

"Everything that is wrong with the world is the fault of Jews."

It is really clear that there are people on here who believe some of what I posted. If one believes ANY of it should he/she be fired? Or just if he/she believes ALL of it?

I'm SO confused by this thread!
Sunshine,

Any of those comments is simply an expression of opinion and is subject to intellectual challenge or debate -- provided one happens to be in the mood for such discourse. If not, to ignore the comment is the next best choice.

My ethnic lineage is German/Dutch. If someone said to me they believe everything that is wrong with the world is the fault of Germans or Dutchers, if I had the time and was in the mood I'd be interested in discussing that with him.

I do not believe that everyone listed there would be of the same mind as you.

Last edited:

Be realistic look how this asshole talk in here, if he behaved this way in the workplace he would get fired anyways without anyone having to do anything.:eusa_hand:
What are we discussing here, the rules of some workplaces or freedom of speech -- assuming one is not expressing his thoughts in the presence of the boss?

E.g. Suppose you overhear one employee tell another employee he dislikes Black people. Or suppose he says he "hates *******." Do you think that employee should be fired? If so, why?

You have racial views that are non-mainstream.

You do not share them with anyone at work. At work, you perform very well. Nobody ever has a complaint.

But, the Southern Poverty Law Center discovers your identity. They call your boss and announce that you are a "white supremacist."

You are fired on the spot.

Is this right?

No...

If you can perform your job tasks then your views shouldn't matter.

Racism is an extremely subjective subject.

You do not share them with anyone at work. At work, you perform very well. Nobody ever has a complaint.

But, the Southern Poverty Law Center discovers your identity. They call your boss and announce that you are a "white supremacist."

Is this right?

No...

If you can perform your job tasks then your views shouldn't matter.

Racism is an extremely subjective subject.

^A self-proclaimed libertarian advocating government regulations on who private business can hire and fire.

Ironic dingbat thy name is Mr.Nick. :thup:

Is this right?
And what would occasion the SPLC to investigate the employee, or call the employer, for that matter. Who at the SPLC called the employer, who at the employee’s job site did the SPLC speak to.

How was the employee terminated – did the employer come to him and say: ‘listen, the SPLC called and said you're really a white supremacist, so we’re going to have to let you go, sorry.’

Please.

Ridiculous hypothesis

Actually, it's not. This is how the Southern Poverty Law Center got a man named Kevin Lamb fired from "Human Events" magazine. Google it up.

The person who called, I believe, was a woman named Heidi Beirich. The man who answered, I believe, was an editor named Tom Winter.

Is this right?

If said business determines that the mere fact that they have a racist under their employ is bad for business then they are damn right.

We are living in a more and more marketing/media world.

Less and less privacy. Think internet/social media/reality tv/video cameras...etc.

Privacy, and/or the concept of privacy is VASTLY different, even from 10 years ago.

I didn't make the rules, I just live with them.

Is this right?

If said business determines that the mere fact that they have a racist under their employ is bad for business then they are damn right.

We are living in a more and more marketing/media world.

Less and less privacy. Think internet/social media/reality tv/video cameras...etc.

Privacy, and/or the concept of privacy is VASTLY different, even from 10 years ago.

I didn't make the rules, I just live with them.

That is a good point. To be a racist today and keep your job you need to stay off message boards, facebook, etc. I know that many employers check facebook along with your references.

And if said business determines that the mere fact they have a black man under their employ is bad for business? :eusa_whistle:

And if said business determines that the mere fact they have a black man under their employ is bad for business? :eusa_whistle:

Believe it or not Mani, there's precedent for that... Actually I think it's having 'black customers' is bad for business, and I believe SCOTUS ruled in favor of the business... Link forthcoming. Couldn't believe it.

I'd be interested to see that case...

When the civil rights act was being considered, some businesses said "well, we're not racist... but our customers are. so please let us not hire blacks."

Congress rejected this exception.

Forum List

Back