Kevin Durant to Suns for all the draft picks.

Final: Mavericks 123, Suns 90​

10:12 p.m.: The Mavericks routed the Suns, earning a wire-to-wire victory to advance to the Western Conference Finals.

Dallas led by as much as 46 points, in complete control throughout the game's entirety. Luka Doncic was magnificent, going for 35 points, 10 rebounds and four assists while Spencer Dinwiddie gave the Mavericks a huge boost off the bench with 30 points. Jalen Brunson also chipped in 24 points as that trio alone nearly outscored the Suns.

Phoenix didn't have a single player score over 13 points, with Devin Booker (11 points) and Chris Paul (10 points) struggling all night.

Right..........PHX is so great. They don't need a 7' 30ppg player who can handle the ball.

Last edited:
Potentially, I guess. I dont see KD retiring over the next 3 years though barring a catastrophic injury and even an older slightly compromised Durant is better than anyone you're going to pick up in the late 1st round IMO.

Here's the thing. The Suns were good enough to make the playoffs and thus keep them from getting any real talent from the draft but were not good enough to be a real contender for a title with the roster as it was configured. Their only 2 options were to blow it up and rebuild (and after signing Ayton I dont see how they do that) or go out and get a KD type super star and try and make a run at a title while you still have CP3 playing at a relatively high level and Booker under contract.
Okay, not sure what you want.

This is one of the worst trades I've ever seen. The Suns have thrown away too many 1st rounders for the rest of this decade. Durant is fragile and likely past his prime, they better win it all this year, or next. Durant won it all as a Warrior, but he never led a team to a championship.

The Brooklyn Nets are trading Kevin Durant to the Phoenix Suns in a blockbuster move, league sources confirmed to Yahoo Sports.

The Suns also will send forward Jae Crowder, who has not played this season after requesting a trade in the offseason, to the Nets, according to reports. Crowder could be part of an additional trade ahead of the deadline at 3 p.m. Thursday, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported.

The Suns also will send forward Jae Crowder, who has not played this season after requesting a trade in the offseason, to the Nets, according to reports. Crowder could be part of an additional trade ahead of the deadline at 3 p.m. Thursday, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported.

Brooklyn will also receive Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, four unprotected first-round draft picks in 2023, 2025, 2027 and 2029 and a 2028 pick swap, according to ESPN.

TJ Warren is headed to Phoenix in the deal, as well.

After the Nets traded Kyrie Irving to the Dallas Mavericks over the weekend, Durant reportedly met with Brooklyn's front office to discuss "the direction of the franchise and its ability to be a championship contender." Apparently, those conversations were not fruitful.

On paper, it makes the Suns a front runner for the finals. But I tend to agree with you. Arizona teams for some reason overspend for aging superstars and I've yet to see it pan out. The trade makes the Suns weaker defensively and thins the bench.

Okay, not sure what you want.
I guess Im confused as to why you think this is bad for the Suns or how they are worse now than prior to the trade. If the goal is to win a championship, this makes them a legitimate contender to do so. Had they stood pat they were a PO team who would get bounced in the 1-2 round. And all they traded for that potential was some late round draft picks which historically amount to at best decent role players.

If the goal is to stay an above average team who makes the playoffs but never wins a chip for a really long time then I guess I agree with the premise that this is a bad trade.

I guess Im confused as to why you think this is bad for the Suns or how they are worse now than prior to the trade. If the goal is to win a championship, this makes them a legitimate contender to do so. Had they stood pat they were a PO team who would get bounced in the 1-2 round. And all they traded for that potential was some late round draft picks which historically amount to at best decent role players.

If the goal is to stay an above average team who makes the playoffs but never wins a chip for a really long time then I guess I agree with the premise that this is a bad trade.
I never said it was a bad trade or a good trade. It could work, but KD has missed over half of his games since he joined the Nets, he has missed 16 out of 55 games this season, the window for the Suns is small, this year or maybe next. That was my comment, how you interpreted It is on you, not me.

On paper, it makes the Suns a front runner for the finals. But I tend to agree with you. Arizona teams for some reason overspend for aging superstars and I've yet to see it pan out. The trade makes the Suns weaker defensively and thins the bench.
Yea, but think about it this way: It's almost worked before. Barkley was not beating Jordan though, and Kurt Warner couldn't beat the Steeler defense. Even with Durant I don't think they beat the East, although Philly, Milwaukee and Boston all can be beat.

The Nets will win a Championship before the Suns do.
No chance. First of all the Knicks and Nets are cursed. Second of all if the suns win it this year it wouldn’t be shocking

Teams should be free to make good and bad decisions. I don’t get why you’re such a bleeding heart for the Suns here
They'll make plenty of bad moves on their own (see the Republican Party for an example)...making moves that damage the long term prospects of the team should be restrained. Unlike the GOP who continues to partake in this bizarre exercise of leaders trying to out-cruelty each other, organizations like the Phoenix Suns are supported by taxpayers who pay for the stadiums, the tax base who buys the tickets, etc...

No chance. First of all the Knicks and Nets are cursed. Second of all if the suns win it this year it wouldn’t be shocking
They could be cursed.

I think they learned their lesson (hopefully) with Harden and Durant. Hopefully they will take an approach that is more balanced in the future.

They could be cursed.

I think they learned their lesson (hopefully) with Harden and Durant. Hopefully they will take an approach that is more balanced in the future.
That’s why I think they’re cursed. The Nets have tried everything, and no matter what they do, they never win. The next GM is half a genius, and all this good moves amounted to one playoff series victory.

Yea, but think about it this way: It's almost worked before. Barkley was not beating Jordan though, and Kurt Warner couldn't beat the Steeler defense. Even with Durant I don't think they beat the East, although Philly, Milwaukee and Boston all can be beat.
Philly did not complete the process some years ago as the "national basketball association" swamp cut it short. Silver and the Colangelo family sealed the Sixers doom. They are now a 2nd round and out team. Perhaps they make it to the next round as a thrill.

This is one of the worst trades I've ever seen. The Suns have thrown away too many 1st rounders for the rest of this decade. Durant is fragile and likely past his prime, they better win it all this year, or next. Durant won it all as a Warrior, but he never led a team to a championship.

The Brooklyn Nets are trading Kevin Durant to the Phoenix Suns in a blockbuster move, league sources confirmed to Yahoo Sports.

Brooklyn will also receive Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, four unprotected first-round draft picks in 2023, 2025, 2027 and 2029 and a 2028 pick swap, according to ESPN.

TJ Warren is headed to Phoenix in the deal, as well.

After the Nets traded Kyrie Irving to the Dallas Mavericks over the weekend, Durant reportedly met with Brooklyn's front office to discuss "the direction of the franchise and its ability to be a championship contender." Apparently, those conversations were not fruitful.

Over a month later, the Nets appear to have a better record than the Suns.

And immediately Durant slips in warmups and is out 2-3 weeks. Counting on Durant to lead you to a title hasn’t ever worked. See Oklahoma City (a team with him, Harden, and Westbrook that could have been great, but wasn’t). Golden State was always Curry’s team. Brooklyn didn’t even get one full season of games with their big 3 on the court together. Durant is a great player, no doubt. He may just not be a guy who can lead a team.

Over a month later, the Nets appear to have a better record than the Suns.
The nets are just glad to not be a circus anymore. I think the mistake they made was signing Vaughn to a contract extension. The Nets need a good coach.

And immediately Durant slips in warmups and is out 2-3 weeks. Counting on Durant to lead you to a title hasn’t ever worked. See Oklahoma City (a team with him, Harden, and Westbrook that could have been great, but wasn’t). Golden State was always Curry’s team. Brooklyn didn’t even get one full season of games with their big 3 on the court together. Durant is a great player, no doubt. He may just not be a guy who can lead a team.
He reminds me alot of Bernard King who was an absolute scoring machine for the Knicks back in the day. The problem was that he was what they used to call being "injury prone". These days they call it something less charitable.

Forum List

Back