Should Parents Pay the Bill

Right, but if you know CPR are you required to drop everything and run to help someone who could use you? Well, I mean certainly anyone with a heart would if they could manage it, but there is no requirement to do so.

And bringing up a military comparison is invalid, b/c the military obviously works different and we never, if it can be helped, leave a man behind.

On the open ocean it makes no difference if you are military or non military. A distress signal is a distress signal. Anyone close will respond.

Right, but this ship that is going to rescue her was in fact NOT close, they in fact did NOT pick up HER distress signal, they picked one up that was relayed by an airplane that was only in the area SPECIFICALLY to look for the girl. It's an ENTIRELY different situation no matter how you spin it.

Irrelevant.

I'm a coward for not throwing around insults where I don't feel they're warranted? :lol:

You are a coward little man because when you used a 16 year old as a shield. You are a coward because you cant debate without using insults, falsely thinking that makes you a big bad man.

And because you cant man up and say you were wrong.

WTF are you serious???? You just hammered me for not insulting Gunny in a debate with him , then you turn around and call me a coward for not debating without insults?

Are you a real person?:lol::lol:

I hammered you because you have a double standard on where and how you insult. You seem to grovel to the men and hammer the girls.

How about his, try to be an adult.

French fishing vessel steams toward stranded teen - Yahoo! News

for this kid's rescue?

Mark me down as a YES!!!!!!!

You obviously are clueless to maritime customs. ANY ship that receives an SOS on the sea and is nearby comes to the rescue.

I'm marking you down as :cuckoo:

hell you have to help the drunks on the lake that run outta gas....its just the rule

Yeah, sorry about that. I'll be more careful next time.

I'm a coward for not throwing around insults where I don't feel they're warranted? :lol:

You are a coward little man because when you used a 16 year old as a shield. You are a coward because you cant debate without using insults, falsely thinking that makes you a big bad man.

WTF are you serious???? You just hammered me for not insulting Gunny in a debate with him , then you turn around and call me a coward for not debating without insults?

Fact is, WHERE does your argument come from?

I disagree the parents should be berated. (Addressing WillowTree). US law ends where international waters begin. The rest of the world doesn't treat their children like babies until in their mid-20s like we do.

Second, maritime law is a matter of priorities and internationally recognized by civil as well as military ships. Since when did WE, as a genus, put a price tag on life?

We revere it. We revere our dead. Is making a buck more important than saving another human being? When did we get that way? I wasn't raised to believe that crap. Then again, I was raised to believe that doing the right thing, even at MY expense, IS the right thing.

Like it or not, maritime law is based on morality, not capitalism.

omg radio...so i am sitting on the boat...minding my own business when i hear a drunk yelling to me....to let him cast a line to my boat...i am like..fuck no...they are fussing at me...telling me i have to render help....exact words...i tell them to fuck off again...when da man...goes...we have to help them...they are stranded....the drunks are going...you tell her buddy....which aint helping their case at all...and they keep tossing a line which i keep letting fall in the water......so da man catches the line and we tow them into the gas port thingie...but da man said you have to help people when they are stranded....it was all rather funny..they wanted to hug me good bye...that wasnt even gonna happen

I hammered you because you have a double standard on where and how you insult. You seem to grovel to the men and hammer the girls.

LOL - No dear you just got caught trying to first criticize me for not insulting another poster and then turning around saying I can't debate without calling named. The only double standard here is you.

As for I only call girl's names or whatever. The fact is. I have had debates with women where no one has called names, and I have had debates here with men where names were called, and I have debates on here where I have no idea if the other poster is a male or a female so that played no part in a decision about name calling.

Now, I understand that your little ass is raw because I pointed out that you are unfit to be a mother if you would choose to send your 16 y/o daughter out into a dangerous sea that professional yachtsmen stay away from this time of year in a boat that is both too small and has had mechanical issues; but you really need to get over that.........

i think the kid did a brave thing...and gunny is correct why do we keep kids ...like we do...other countries at 18 they are out of the house....etc.

i think its great they found her.....now she has to stay on the boat with all them horney french sailors....

o my

LOL - No dear you just got caught trying to first criticize me for not insulting another poster and then turning around saying I can't debate without calling named. The only double standard here is you.

As for I only call girl's names or whatever. The fact is. I have had debates with women where no one has called names, and I have had debates here with men where names were called, and I have debates on here where I have no idea if the other poster is a male or a female so that played no part in a decision about name calling.

Now, I understand that your little ass is raw because I pointed out that you are unfit to be a mother if you would choose to send your 16 y/o daughter out into a dangerous sea that professional yachtsmen stay away from this time of year in a boat that is both too small and has had mechanical issues; but you really need to get over that.........

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
No dear, try again.

Last edited:
now the boat size is in question....and you cant help but wonder if they didnt push her cause a kid broke her brothers record? but does all this matter at this point...a 13 yr old has summitted mt everest...

give the young ones their wings....let them fly.....even if like the young ones who was trying to fly across country and died...you still have to let them go

omg radio...so i am sitting on the boat...minding my own business when i hear a drunk yelling to me....to let him cast a line to my boat...i am like..fuck no...they are fussing at me...telling me i have to render help....exact words...i tell them to fuck off again...when da man...goes...we have to help them...they are stranded....the drunks are going...you tell her buddy....which aint helping their case at all...and they keep tossing a line which i keep letting fall in the water......so da man catches the line and we tow them into the gas port thingie...but da man said you have to help people when they are stranded....it was all rather funny..they wanted to hug me good bye...that wasnt even gonna happen

Got to do what you got to do, 'bones. Your emotions don't count. Doing what's right does. I've paddled a 26 footer halfway from Eliot Key to Black's cove.

Would you rather someone die that you know you can save?

Ummm ... you're an alleged A"liberal", right?

Right, but if you know CPR are you required to drop everything and run to help someone who could use you? Well, I mean certainly anyone with a heart would if they could manage it, but there is no requirement to do so.

And bringing up a military comparison is invalid, b/c the military obviously works different and we never, if it can be helped, leave a man behind.

On the open ocean it makes no difference if you are military or non military. A distress signal is a distress signal. Anyone close will respond.

Right, but this ship that is going to rescue her was in fact NOT close, they in fact did NOT pick up HER distress signal, they picked one up that was relayed by an airplane that was only in the area SPECIFICALLY to look for the girl. It's an ENTIRELY different situation no matter how you spin it.

Actually, it isn't. the law of the sea says that the closest ship comes to the aid of any vessel in distress. That French fishing boat was the closest, and is responding. In the days before satcom any vessel that hear an SOS would repeat it for other vessels, and all that heard it would respond, just like what happened with the Titanic. If she had been in immediate danger they would have sent another plane and dropped equipment/supplies. As it is the closest ship responded and has picked her up.

I disagree the parents should be berated. (Addressing WillowTree). US law ends where international waters begin. The rest of the world doesn't treat their children like babies until in their mid-20s like we do.

Second, maritime law is a matter of priorities and internationally recognized by civil as well as military ships. Since when did WE, as a genus, put a price tag on life?

We revere it. We revere our dead. Is making a buck more important than saving another human being? When did we get that way? I wasn't raised to believe that crap. Then again, I was raised to believe that doing the right thing, even at MY expense, IS the right thing.

I didn't say a word about "babying' her. I said it's stupid to send a 16 year old out alone in a less than adequate boat into the middle of the Indian ocean during the worst of the storm season.

Ok Gunny , I don't disagree with that at ALL, BUT when you intentionally put yourself, or in this case your child, in a situation where the likely outcome is that someone else will have to save her that is another situation entirely. If not for a bad decision on the parent's part here the rescue wouldn't have been necessary and so the parents should be financially responsible. I am NOT saying the girl shouldn't have been saved

Last edited:
i think the kid did a brave thing...and gunny is correct why do we keep kids ...like we do...other countries at 18 they are out of the house....etc.

i think its great they found her.....now she has to stay on the boat with all them horney french sailors....

o my

Oh, so NOW it's about sex? You're right though ....:lol:

o my

Full of shit you and Gunny izz. as I have already explained.

Would this argument even be happening if was a 32 year old male?

No?

Then argument fail. Cuz I guarantee you this girl is probably 100 times the mariner than most men who think they are.

Forum List

Back