Should Parents Pay the Bill

The bottom line is that the parents of the girl let her go on the basis of her knowledge of seamanship and skill with a sailboat on the open ocean. The made made the decision that their 16 year girl was mature and compitant enough to attempt the voyage. I think she did a GREAT job.

Her parents, their decision none of our business.

As a mariner, she's probably much more well equipped than most adults in terms of handling an emergency on the water.

BULLSHIT

IF she's so experienced and able to handle that situation, why did she

A) choose to sail into a sea at a time when most acknowledged experts say she shouldn't have been near

B) choose to sail a boat which was having mechanical issues and which it is now being rumored was not repaired correctly before departing her last port

C) choose to sail in a boat which again experts have said was just too small to be in that part of the ocean.

Seems like she just made bad decision after bad decision and yet you want to say she did everything right here??????????

Nice strawman.

Nothing close to what I said....but kudos for giving it the old college try. Better find someone else to play your logical fallacy games with, cuz I don't play them.

If you would like to, ya know, actually address the statement I made I'll let you give it a second try.

Bullshit, just admit you have nothing and move on.... I gave you three perfectly legitimate decisions she made which prove that she not equipped to be taking on the challenge of sailing around the ocean and you come back with "strawman"? :lol:

The bottom line is that the parents of the girl let her go on the basis of her knowledge of seamanship and skill with a sailboat on the open ocean. The made made the decision that their 16 year girl was mature and compitant enough to attempt the voyage. I think she did a GREAT job.

Then explain how the three bad decisions I showed that she made lead you to believe the parents were right.....

Sure she did. The weather was sssooooooooo bad even the rescuers had sense enough not to go.. Until it got better. :eusa_whistle:

BULLSHIT

A) choose to sail into a sea at a time when most acknowledged experts say she shouldn't have been near

B) choose to sail a boat which was having mechanical issues and which it is now being rumored was not repaired correctly before departing her last port

C) choose to sail in a boat which again experts have said was just too small to be in that part of the ocean.

Seems like she just made bad decision after bad decision and yet you want to say she did everything right here??????????

Nice strawman.

Nothing close to what I said....but kudos for giving it the old college try. Better find someone else to play your logical fallacy games with, cuz I don't play them.

If you would like to, ya know, actually address the statement I made I'll let you give it a second try.

Bullshit, just admit you have nothing and move on.... I gave you three perfectly legitimate decisions she made which prove that she not equipped to be taking on the challenge of sailing around the ocean and you come back with "strawman"? :lol:

I tend to tell the truth like that.

Here's what I said:

As a mariner, she's probably much more well equipped than most adults in terms of handling an emergency on the water.

Where did I say that she did not make poor decisions?

Where did I say that she did everything right?

You accuse me of saying that. I did not. You attempted to use the Strawman Fallacy on me. It didn't work.

Better luck next time :thup:

pwn.jpg

not from my perspective it isn't. I offer them criticism because they let her put herself in the worst possible scenario at the worst possible time of the year. As I have stated the young aren't as equipped mentally or emotionally to deal with emergencies, they tend to panic there is an exception to every rule but why take the risk? And as you know I answered NO they should not be charged.

BULLSHIT

Accidents happen. Like the Gulf oil spill. Go out to see and pit your wits against it. I want to watch ....

Sure she did. The weather was sssooooooooo bad even the rescuers had sense enough not to go.. Until it got better. :eusa_whistle:

They won't touch my three bad decisions I showed, so far all I've seen so far is "strawman"

As an aside, I let my 2 y/o play with my .40 S&W. I really think she's mature enough to handle it. To prove it she

A) Shot the neighbors dog
B) burned her hand on the hot barrel
C) Scared one of the neighbor kids half to death

I really think she did an excellent job and handled that weapon in a way which proved that this whole notion of not treating children like adults is ridiculous.

BULLSHIT

Accidents happen. Like the Gulf oil spill. Go out to see and pit your wits against it. I want to watch ....

I've been to sea. and I've been a pilot. There ain't nothing better than good planning. see? or sea?

BULLSHIT

A) Experts are often wrong, that is why you have experts arguing the other way also.

B) I still haven't found any reference to these problems

c) See A

Financial responsibility has not historically been an issue. "Parents" is subjective.

In CA, if your kid is caught smoking, you get fined. Yet CA is one of the worst states for empowering children and emasculating parents. Go figure.

I'd rather save save a life than make a coin.

Who's saying the girl shouldn't have been saved?

No one, they are just "screaming" to be "right."

Uh huh ... want try this fail again...?

BULLSHIT

Accidents happen? That's the best you have?

1. Was it an accident that the weather did exactly what it always does this time of year in that part of the ocean?

2. Did she accidentally choose to leave her last port of call in a ship which wasn't properly repaired?

3. Did she just accidentally set sail in too small a boat? She meant to take the bigger one but oops............................

Then explain how the three bad decisions I showed that she made lead you to believe the parents were right.....

Again, Her parents, their decision and none of our business.

I get the fact that you would not allow your children to attempt a voyage like this. You are not her father. Just as I am not her mother. You have no personal experience of what this girl is like, what she knows or the training she has had.

BULLSHIT

Nice strawman.

You got pwned. Want to try again?

BULLSHIT

A) Experts are often wrong, that is why you have experts arguing the other way also.

B) I still haven't found any reference to these problems

c) See A

A) I posted an expert that said she had no business being in that ocean at that time of year in a boat that small, now you post an expert saying the opposite

B) I haven't found it on the internet yet, but as we discussed last night Geraldo is on it, and you agreed that overall he has integrity when it came to reporting stories so I doubt he just made this up

C) See A

Nice strawman.

:lol: @ I got pwned. How by crying strawman and running from the argument? You can't claim someone was competent to accomplish something and then just ignore bad decisions they made, well unless you're Obama then you can certainly try.

:lol: @ I got pwned. How by crying strawman and running from the argument? You can't claim someone was competent to accomplish something and then just ignore bad decisions they made, well unless you're Obama then you can certainly try.

no one's answered my question either on why the FAA places age restrictions on pilots either.. go figure.

:lol: @ I got pwned. How by crying strawman and running from the argument?

Ummm...no.

Better go read the thread through again there Bucky.

no one's answered my question either on why the FAA places age restrictions on pilots either.. go figure.

You can be a student pilot at age 16.

Forum List

Back