Should Parents Pay the Bill

:lol: @ I got pwned. How by crying strawman and running from the argument? You can't claim someone was competent to accomplish something and then just ignore bad decisions they made, well unless you're Obama then you can certainly try.

no one's answered my question either on why the FAA places age restrictions on pilots either.. go figure.

You can be a student pilot at age 16.

You're right, that isn't the same thing as being solo in the middle of a dangerous ocean in an undersized, mechanically suspect boat.

Abby Sunderlands boat was larger and better equipped then this boat. How small is to small for the attempt?

Anthony Steward - Around alone in an open boat

boat.jpg

Last edited:
A) I posted an expert that said she had no business being in that ocean at that time of year in a boat that small, now you post an expert saying the opposite

B) I haven't found it on the internet yet, but as we discussed last night Geraldo is on it, and you agreed that overall he has integrity when it came to reporting stories so I doubt he just made this up

C) See A

"There are plenty of things people can think of to blame for my situation; my age, the time of year and many more," Abby said in the blog. She added that "it was just a Southern Ocean storm."

I have been in that part of the ocean, and 30' waves are quite common, any time of year.

As for experts that think she had a chance of accomplishing this, try these.

Abby Sunderland Sponsors

Unless you think every one of those sponsors was taken in by a 16 yo girl.

:lol: @ I got pwned. How by crying strawman and running from the argument? You can't claim someone was competent to accomplish something and then just ignore bad decisions they made, well unless you're Obama then you can certainly try.

no one's answered my question either on why the FAA places age restrictions on pilots either.. go figure.

which means you must have an adult licensed instructor with you.. same with automobiles.. sailing into a storm all alone with 35 foot waves and high winds calls for all hands on deck. I'm not sure that trip would have been safe at that time of year for two let alone one 16 year old. engine failure and two broken masts equal helpless. dammed lucky they are not paying for a funeral.

A) I posted an expert that said she had no business being in that ocean at that time of year in a boat that small, now you post an expert saying the opposite

B) I haven't found it on the internet yet, but as we discussed last night Geraldo is on it, and you agreed that overall he has integrity when it came to reporting stories so I doubt he just made this up

C) See A

"There are plenty of things people can think of to blame for my situation; my age, the time of year and many more," Abby said in the blog. She added that "it was just a Southern Ocean storm."

I have been in that part of the ocean, and 30' waves are quite common, any time of year.

As for experts that think she had a chance of accomplishing this, try these.

Abby Sunderland Sponsors

Unless you think every one of those sponsors was taken in by a 16 yo girl.

Strange, I didn't see anywhere on your link where there was an expert saying that they had every confidence that it wasn't MORE dangerous to be on that part of the ocean at this time of year than at others.

I posted a link to a person actually saying "this was the wrong time of year for her to be in that part of the ocean", meaning an expert says she made the wrong decision, although I still think it was actually her dad's decision not her own, that is a different argument.

Same with the boat size, the expert said a 40 ' boat is TOO small to be in open water in that part of the ocean on its own. You have not posted a differing opinion, another bad decision.

I am glad that you didn't bother arguing about Geraldo reporting that boat wasn't properly repaired.

By the way , 30' seas are the norm in that ocean, but at this time of year 50 ' waves are even more common.

which means you must have an adult licensed instructor with you..

No, a student pilot can fly solo if endorsed by a certified flight instructor.

What a student pilot can't do is carry passengers, fly for a business, or fly an aircraft other than the ones that the CFI signed off on.

What a student pilot can't do is carry passengers, fly for a business, or fly an aircraft other than the ones that the CFI signed off on.

you cannot be licensed until you are seventeen. Remember that Kennedy dude? He let his aspirations override his ability and common sense. That's all I'm saying.

Pilot certification in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Once a student has accrued sufficient training and experience, a CFI can endorse the student's certificate to authorize limited solo flight in a specific type (make and model) of aircraft. A student pilot may not carry passengers, fly in furtherance of a business, or operate an aircraft outside of the various endorsements provided by the flight instructor.

There is no minimum aeronautical knowledge or experience requirement for the issuance of a student pilot certificate other than the medical requirements for the class of medical certificate (see below) the student certificate is based upon. There are, however, minimum aeronautical knowledge and experience requirements for student pilots to solo, including:

# Hold at least a current third class medical certificate (except for glider, balloon or sport pilot).
# Be at least 16 years of age (14 for glider or balloon)
# Read, speak, write, and understand the English language.

(rest edited out as not germane to the discussion)

you cannot be licensed until you are seventeen. Remember that Kennedy dude? He let his aspirations override his ability and common sense. That's all I'm saying.

No. You can be 16 and still solo Willow. As long as you meet the other requirements, being only 16 will not limit you if you are signed off on by a CFI.

All this deflecting trying to hide the real issue. This family should be responsible for the cost of the rescue operation.

The arguments about the parent's negligence belongs in the other thread.

Jessica Watson remember her?

Jessica Watson vessel was smaller then Abby Sunerlands.

Aussie girl, 16, sails solo around the world

How does what one idiot does justify what another does?

You were the one going on about the size of the boat. It would appear as if boat size is a non issue. Seamenship is however.

Boat size IS an issue. The fact that one moron went out in too small a boat doesn't justify this moron for doing the same. Is that really a difficult concept?

The fact is that rationale, sane yachtsmen say that NO ONE should be out in the open seas in a boat as small as 40 ' and that anything bigger isn't practical for one person to handle, so therefor ALL solo attempts are stupid. There is a reason people with brains take along a crew.

How does what one idiot does justify what another does?

You were the one going on about the size of the boat. It would appear as if boat size is a non issue. Seamenship is however.

Boat size IS an issue. The fact that one moron went out in too small a boat doesn't justify this moron for doing the same. Is that really a difficult concept?

The fact is that rationale, sane yachtsmen say that NO ONE should be out in the open seas in a boat as small as 40 ' and that anything bigger isn't practical for one person to handle, so therefor ALL solo attempts are stupid. There is a reason people with brains take along a crew.

How sad to limit the human experience to what experts have to say. Shall we go over what experts have had to say over the centuries?

Boat size is a none issue. Smaller boats have navigated the pacific and the waters that abby got into trouble.

The fact is that many people can and do make this voyage and secede. They are all brave in the attempt.

The attempt may be stupid to you but it is a dream for others.

Last edited:

How sad to limit the human experience to what experts have say. Shall we go over what experts have had to say over the centuries?

Boat size is a none issue. Smaller boats have navigated the pacific and the waters that abby got into trouble.

The fact is that many people can and do make this voyage and secede. They are all brave in the attempt.

Way to totally misinterpret what I have said. As an ADULT you have the right to do any stupid thing you want, as long as it does not endanger others. By that VERY definition you are not allowed to do stupid things that enraged others , agreed?

Just answer that simple question. Do you , or do you not agree that adluts are not entitled to take stupid risks which endanger other people?

How sad to limit the human experience to what experts have say. Shall we go over what experts have had to say over the centuries?

Way to totally misinterpret what I have said. As an ADULT you have the right to do any stupid thing you want, as long as it does not endanger others. By that VERY definition you are not allowed to do stupid things that enraged others , agreed?

Just answer that simple question. Do you , or do you not agree that adluts are not entitled to take stupid risks which endanger other people?

Did abby endanger anyone? Did she risk anyone else's life but her own?

To answer your question. No one has the right to UNKNOWINGLY endanger anyone else in any fashion. If you knowingly accept the danger then no blame can be levied.

Both abby and her parents understood and excepted the risks involved. All parties involved knew that this could be a one way trip.

No I don't believe I misinterpreted your post. I don't believe you understood the possible ramifications of your statements.

Forum List

Back