Should Biden and Trump debate?

JLW

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2012
“In a typical election year, we would be seven months away from the first presidential debate of the parties’ nominees. A date and location is already penciled in: Sept. 16 at Texas State University in San Marcos. The campaign teams of President Joe Biden and his predecessor, Donald Trump, would likely schedule days of prep away from the trail, and plan to frame the outcome as a win for their side, and an abject failure for the other.…

….now we appear to be heading to a game of debate chicken, where neither of the likely candidates appears ready to state whether they are even willing to step on the same stage with their opponent later this year.

A spokeswoman for Biden’s campaign said headquarters would have no comment about the debate schedule or have anything to add to this piece with fingerprints attached. Two spokespeople for Trump’s efforts didn’t even acknowledge the question. At other times, when asked directly about the debates, top officials dodged the issue as being premature given neither candidate is yet the official nominee.”

I personally hope they debate. If and when they do debate both sides will be holding their breaths given that both candidates are prone to gaffs and lapses. I would not be surprised if neither decides to debate though. Trump avoided all debates during the primaries and Biden hasn’t debated since 2020.

What say you?

Last edited:
“In a typical election year, we would be seven months away from the first presidential debate of the parties’ nominees. A date and location is already penciled in: Sept. 16 at Texas State University in San Marcos. The campaign teams of President Joe Biden and his predecessor, Donald Trump, would likely schedule days of prep away from the trail, and plan to frame the outcome as a win for their side, and an abject failure for the other.…

….now we appear to be heading to a game of debate chicken, where neither of the likely candidates appears ready to state whether they are even willing to step on the same stage with their opponent later this year.

A spokeswoman for Biden’s campaign said headquarters would have no comment about the debate schedule or have anything to add to this piece with fingerprints attached. Two spokespeople for Trump’s efforts didn’t even acknowledge the question. At other times, when asked directly about the debates, top officials dodged the issue as being premature given neither candidate is yet the official nominee.”

I personally hope they debate. If and when they do debate both sides will be holding their breathes given that both candidates are prone to gaffs and lapses. I would not be surprised if neither debates though. Trump avoided all debates during the primaries and Biden hasn’t debated since 2020.

What say you?
Neither one sees an advantage, this early in the election year. Not debating with the other Republican candidates has been good for Trump. No need for Joe to be anxious, probably waiting on results of a criminal trial, Donny is bound to lose.

Of course they should debate, or should Americans just let the media decide for them who to vote for?

Neither one sees an advantage, this early in the election year. Not debating with the other Republican candidates has been good for Trump. No need for Joe to be anxious, probably waiting on results of a criminal trial, Donny is bound to lose.
All true. Come September, I think the voters will want to see a debate. I think there will be one. But you’re right that there will be a lot of maneuvering until one or the other sees the writing on the wall and determines they have to debate because of falling poll numbers.

They should debate but they won't. Biden will not debate anyone, and Trump's camp would insist on rules that allow him to showboat.

Political debates are usually not helpful. A proper political debate would give the candidates the questions in advance so that they can prepare a coherent answer, then allow follow-ups so that they don't get away with answering the question they WANTED to get rather than the questions that are actually asked.

I think early voting should not open until after at least one debate. I know the Democrats want to get their voters locked in before the full extent of Biden’s dementia is revealed when he has to speak without a teleprompter, but c’mon man!

I personally hope they debate. If and when they do debate both sides will be holding their breaths given that both candidates are prone to gaffs and lapses. I would not be surprised if neither decides to debate though. Trump avoided all debates during the primaries and Biden hasn’t debated since 2020.

What say you?
???

This was last month

NEW YORK (AP) — Former President Donald Trump says he is eager to debate President Joe Biden, even if the debates are sponsored by the nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates. And he says he is open to debating a single Republican rival if a serious challenger emerges after the New Hampshire primary.

Trump, who has skipped all of the primary debates so far citing his commanding lead in the polls, was asked if he will debate Biden if named his party’s nominee during an interview with conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt Friday.

“Oh will I look forward to that,” Trump responded. “How about 10 debates?”

???

This was last month

Of course, Trump said in the article you post that he would debate his primary opponent
if the Republican nomination came down to a two person race. I don’t that debate happening.

Last edited:

What say you?
Biden will try to find a way out of it. More than likely they will set up debates with Trump on like CNN, MSNBC and the like with extremely biased moderators, hoping Trump will back out because Biden and the left know that Biden would have no chance in a debate with Trump. Then they will blame it on Trump.

Trump isn't intelligent enough to debate, he will simply parrot his hate filled talking points and praise himself in spite of little accomplishment.

For the reader:

hate filled?

like "close the border". "America first".

yeah so hateful!!!!!

Trump has never won a national debate... He might have done better than expected in Primary but one on one he has never won one..

The Trump Campaign will try and set expectations so low that gets a prize for getting his name right...

Problem the Trump Campaign has is that he doesn't know the details of the various issues... Trump has a slogan he keeps repeating and half the time it is a lie...

This will end up with Trump Campaign refusing to debate because of fact checking. Trump wants no fact checking, facts are no his friend, facts have a well proven liberal bias...
There might be a compromise and then they will debate and even with no fact checking during the debate Biden still wins handy..

What say you?
3 debates will be scheduled through the CPD. Biden will show up for those. The RNC has said their boy won’t. I think El Blob-o shows up for the first one. The next 2? Probably not

Forum List

Back