Shocked: Maine , woman says she would rather go to jail than take down her pro Trump signs

Yep, and she is exercising he right to protest, which is a liberal value, or was, now it is only a liberal value when it agrees with your bigoted view.

You always go through existing channels to find a solution before open protest. The RWNJs here don't seem to agree.

She didn’t know the signs were illegal, after she found out, how do you know she didn’t go through existing channels and they blocked her? It seems you are making excuses. Why didn’t the NFL players go through existing channels?

Slow news day. RWNJs will whine about anything Alex Jones tells them to whine about.

Lol! You are the one crying. I checked the story before I commented, it wasn’t Alex Jones, it was a newspaper in Maine that went with the story.

I always double check a link to any story that Jones goes with, he is not a reliable source.

Now back to the topic. So can you verify if this woman went through existing channels or not? So did the NFL players go through existing channels?

The newspaper in Main didn't put a "hair on fire" spin on it and offer it up to the crazies as something of national interest..

Go read the Jone’s website, it quotes the Maine paper word for word and then gives a link to read the story in the Maine website. So there is NO spin by Jones. So you are clearly lying and again for the second time are changing the subject.

So again back to the topic, can you verify if this woman went through existing channels or not. Did the NFL players go through existing channels. It seems you are avoiding those two questions.

. You as a liberal of all things don't want laws to be cut and dried, but here you are wanting it now in a cherry picking sort of way ? There is a thing called discretion within the law (a "tolerance" like you libs love in that word), but in this specific case you want cut and dried now ?? LOL

It's a Trump sign, so you want to ignore the law.
. Wouldn't it had been better that the left ignore the woman and her sign ? Cheaper on taxpayers, and that's why judges should laugh these things right out of court. The government needs to go through and get rid of all these draconian laws finally or maybe bring them up for a vote to see if the nation's citizens want to keep them of not.
It's NOT the Nation's business or the Nation's citizen's business, it is the local town's citizen's business...including the law breaker and those who complained and everyone else in their voting district for the town....but NOT yours, nor mine!

“Those” who complained? How many complained?

Doesn't matter. It would be the same if no one complained. Can you get away with running a stop sign, if no one complains?
. Should be able to if can do it safely. How many times have you rolled a stop sign on a country road or at 4:00 am in the morning ? I thought so.

It's a Trump sign, so you want to ignore the law.
. Wouldn't it had been better that the left ignore the woman and her sign ? Cheaper on taxpayers, and that's why judges should laugh these things right out of court. The government needs to go through and get rid of all these draconian laws finally or maybe bring them up for a vote to see if the nation's citizens want to keep them of not.
It's NOT the Nation's business or the Nation's citizen's business, it is the local town's citizen's business...including the law breaker and those who complained and everyone else in their voting district for the town....but NOT yours, nor mine!

Doesn't matter. It would be the same if no one complained. Can you get away with running a stop sign, if no one complains?
. Should be able to if can do it safely. How many times have you rolled a stop sign on a country road or at 4:00 am in the morning ? I thought so.

Careful beagle, bullpup might turn you in! Lol!

If people in her area don't like what she does with her property, United is ready whenever they are.

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly
Do you condone violating the law?
It depends on the stupidity of the law. Who is hurt or killed by that woman having a sign in her yard?

Holly

So you condone violating the law. Very hypocritically Christian of you.
. Stupid law, but whose counting right ?

Not to worry. Perhaps I worded that wrong. Of course, we have all run a stop sign at some point and gotten away with it. Is it illegal to do so even if none of the neighbors complain?

If people in her area don't like what she does with her property, United is ready whenever they are.

Holly
It depends on the stupidity of the law. Who is hurt or killed by that woman having a sign in her yard?

Holly
The legal law is one thing, but the Lord's law is another and violating his law is where I think that things get ugly because in my opinion, his law is the final word.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Where in the bible does it say "Thou shalt not require Trump supporters to follow the same rules as everybody else."
. Rules are made to be broken if they are ridiculous rules, and using the Bible isn't a good place to go in suggesting that rules aren't made to be broken. The Bible is full of stories of rule breaking in order to get back to using common sense again. God wants us to be wise, and not sheep who would follow the likes of those who want to control us for evil purposes.

Holly
The legal law is one thing, but the Lord's law is another and violating his law is where I think that things get ugly because in my opinion, his law is the final word.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Where in the bible does it say "Thou shalt not require Trump supporters to follow the same rules as everybody else."
It doesn't, but I don't believe that the Lord would take issue with the woman leaving her sign in her yard either. She supports our leader, she doesn't worship him like some people seem to be trying to imply.

Holly

Romans 13:1-7 states, “Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.”
. All bets are off when God is rebuked by the institutions. This is the case today. You were saying ?

Holly

God bless you always!!!

Holly

. Rules are made to be broken if they are ridiculous rules, and using the Bible isn't a good place to go in suggesting that rules aren't made to be broken. The Bible is full of stories of rule breaking in order to get back to using common sense again. God wants us to be wise, and not sheep who would follow the likes of those who want to control us for evil purposes.

I didn't bring God or religious law into it. I just responded after it was.

here is a local article
Trump's campaign is now involved....said they'd send her signs the proper size.... :lol:
Bill Nemitz: In dispute over Rockland resident’s Trump signs, city official stays on message
William Butler has heard the wrath of Susan Reitman's supporters for telling her to take her signs down, but says the city code trumps politics.

byline-mobile-nav.png

By Bill NemitzColumnist

When was the last time you thanked your local code enforcement officer?

Probably never. Most homeowners hide in their basements at the mere mention of the title.

But today we honor William Butler, assistant code enforcement officer for the city of Rockland – a man who believes in following the law, even if it means getting run over by the Trump Train.

“I try to go as straight ahead as possible,” Butler said in an interview, one of many he’s given to the media this week. “I look at what the code says and stick to the code and not try to get off on too many tangents.”

Meaning he has no personal or political beef with Susan Reitman, whose home on dead-end Seavey Lane is adorned with two large signs: “I (red, white and blue heart) Donald Trump” and “He Won … Get Over It!”

Butler wants Reitman to take down the signs – but not because they’re too pro-Trump.

They’re too big.

The problem is, Reitman’s not budging.

“Look, I’m a 75-year-old widow living on a fixed income,” Reitman said in a telephone interview from her home. “There is no way I could ever pay that $100-a-day or that $1,000-a-day fine. He can put a lien on my house – I have two mortgages. He can take my house. He can put me in jail or whatever. To me it’s the principle of the thing, you know?”‘

Related
Read more columns by Bill Nemitz
Did she say she’d go to jail? Over a couple of Trump signs?

“Yes, I would. Yes, I would,” Reitman replied. “I know you probably think I’m crazy.”

Let’s go with “passionate.” In a previous chat with cable network NECN this week, Reitman went so far as to proclaim, “I would lay down my life for Donald Trump!”

Believe it or not, there’s a name for this kind of thing.

Psychologists call it “basking in reflected glory,” or BIRG. Often associated with sports teams, it’s the behavior people exhibit after their side wins and, like it or not, they’re going to make darn sure the rest of the world sees them revel in it.

In other words, the theory goes, “He won … Get Over It!” has at least as much to do with Susan Reitman’s self-image as a Trump supporter as it does her love for Donald Trump. As Trump won last fall, so did Reitman – and she put out her signs to prove it.

At least one neighbor, who complained anonymously, sees it a little differently. No Trump fan, she’s told Butler that she thinks the sign is aimed – both figuratively and literally – at her.

(In an odd twist, Butler divulged that the complaining neighbor has a son who’s a pilot and once worked for Trump. Meaning we now have one neighbor who would die for Trump pitted against another neighbor whose son would fly for Trump. Back to the action …)

Being a good civil servant who’s spent decades enforcing codes for four Maine municipalities and the Department of Environmental Protection, Butler wants no part of this political cage match.

His only concern is the city’s sign ordinance, which requires that residential properties be limited to one sign no larger than 2 square feet if affixed to a structure or 4 square feet if it’s freestanding.

Both of Reitman’s signs, which she estimates at 3 by 4 feet, far exceed those maximums. Big league.

“I know I’m not in compliance. I know that,” Reitman conceded. “My point is that he had all the opportunity in the world to tell me that I was not in compliance. He saw the signs. I told him about them.”

She did it once in an email last month in which she announced her plans for the signs. Butler recalls the email but said it was so laden with “pro-Trump political” stuff that the mention of the signs flew right past him.

The second came during a site visit Butler made recently to Reitman’s property to discuss her plans for a new fence. The signs were actually up by then, but Butler, unsure of what the heretofore obscure residential sign ordinance actually said, decided to go back and research it before causing a brouhaha.

Then the neighbor complained, forcing Butler to take action. And with that, a cause was born.

We won’t repeat the content of the voicemails left on the code enforcement office phone by callers who support Reitman and think the world would be a lot better off without Butler.

“They were vulgar, rude,” Butler recalled. “And they suggested (pause) that they didn’t understand (pause) what we were trying to do.”

Sounds like he’s being diplomatic here.

“I’m trying,” he replied.

Smart move. This thing could take a while.

On Thursday, Rockland City Manager Tom Luttrell told Courier-Gazette reporter Stephen Betts that the whole thing is on hold until Oct. 2, when the City Council will decide whether the residential sign ordinance needs an upgrade.

Code enforcement officer Butler, for one, thinks that’s a great idea.

“I’m actually hoping that this is a segue to changing the ordinance,” he said.

More help may be coming from another, entirely unexpected direction.

Butler said Thursday that he’d just received a call from someone identifying himself as a member of the “Trump campaign.”

The caller said they’re ready, willing and able to provide Reitman with a compliant Trump sign at no charge – in exchange for the two offending placards she just moved (for safe keeping) from her driveway gate to the front of her house.

And get this: The Trump folks will even try to have the sign signed by Donald Trump himself.

“I think that might satisfy her,” Butler mused, adding that the city would consider waiving its $60 fee for a sign permit as a show of good faith.

How this sits with the angry neighbor will be anyone’s guess. But she too has options – as does anyone in Rockland looking for a way to peacefully shield themselves from all of Trump’s reflected glory.

Cafepress.com, which sold Reitman her signs, is an equal-opportunity offender where Trump opponents – who, according to the shrinks, are suffering from “cutting off reflected failure,” or CORF – can purchase a post-election message all their own.

It sells for a mere $24.95.

It’s easy to read – just black letters on a white background, minus all the fancy-dancy red, white and blue stuff.

And it’s small enough – at least by the city of Rockland’s standards – to plant legally on your front lawn today.

It reads: “Elect a clown, expect a circus.”

© 2017 | Press Herald

Did I say it didn’t matter? He said “those”, where is his proof if it was “those”? It might have been just one person, it may have been no one. He is making crap up as he goes.
I'm not a he, I am 100% a she and love being a she, of which I was born. :D

The article mentioned a neighbor complaint...could have been more than one, I don't know that.... so 'those who complain' is in 'general'.
Those that are complaining need to get a life...

Those defending the goofy old bat are just as bad as her. Expecting that Trump exemption from rules that everybody else has to follow.

I don’t care what her signs say, if it was a pro Clinton sign, I’d be the first to say she should challenge the sign. It seems I’m more liberal than you are in this case. I’m also for the NFL players right to protest and hate that Trump stuck his nose in something that is none of his business.

For a guy that says he doesn’t care about this issue, you and Care4All are sure bitching and crying about it.

She has every right to challenge any law she wants. She doesn't have an exemption from the law just because they are trump signs.
. And the law under liberalism shouldn't be picking on her just because they are Trump signs.

Signs are too big due to city ordinance. Period.
What if someone put up a 4x5 sign that said OBAMA STILL ROCKS complete with him on his bicycle? People would still complain.

She can make the signs smaller. Or..toss her ass in jail.

The ones saying these signs have to go would be arguing for those signs to stay and claiming racism if anyone disagreed.
Conservatives need to stop putting themselves into opposition to zoning laws. Zoning is inherently conservative and pro-private property. If you own a nice house on a nice street in a nice neighborhood, and decide to open a slaughterhouse or strip joint or something, your neighbors would be justified in complaining and forcing you to stop your plans in order to "conserve" the integrity of the neighborhood.
. No where near the same issue, but thanks anyway.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

It doesn't, but I don't believe that the Lord would take issue with the woman leaving her sign in her yard either. She supports our leader, she doesn't worship him like some people seem to be trying to imply.

Holly

Romans 13:1-7 states, “Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.”
. All bets are off when God is rebuked by the institutions. This is the case today. You were saying ?

Sorry, this is too much. A spoiled old Trump supporter expects an exemption for the size sign in her yard in some little town I have never heard of. The discussion has gone to God being rebuked by institutions. Can you say "that's nuts?" Enjoy the rest of your discussion.

Not to worry. Perhaps I worded that wrong. Of course, we have all run a stop sign at some point and gotten away with it. Is it illegal to do so even if none of the neighbors complain?
. They should all be yield signs. Just sayin.. lol

I'm not a he, I am 100% a she and love being a she, of which I was born. :D

The article mentioned a neighbor complaint...could have been more than one, I don't know that.... so 'those who complain' is in 'general'.

Those defending the goofy old bat are just as bad as her. Expecting that Trump exemption from rules that everybody else has to follow.

I don’t care what her signs say, if it was a pro Clinton sign, I’d be the first to say she should challenge the sign. It seems I’m more liberal than you are in this case. I’m also for the NFL players right to protest and hate that Trump stuck his nose in something that is none of his business.

For a guy that says he doesn’t care about this issue, you and Care4All are sure bitching and crying about it.

She has every right to challenge any law she wants. She doesn't have an exemption from the law just because they are trump signs.
. And the law under liberalism shouldn't be picking on her just because they are Trump signs.
WHERE do YOU get this CRAP from Beagle? Drudge?

The LAW is not picking on her....they are trying to do what they can to accommodate her...silly....

ENOUGH with your lies....cuz that is what you are doing, you are lying.

WHERE do YOU get this CRAP from Beagle? Drudge?

The LAW is not picking on her....they are trying to do what they can to accommodate her...silly....

ENOUGH with your lies....cuz that is what you are doing, you are lying.

How is it different than your crap? You have spewed misinformation this whole thread and are trying to play a higher ground? Lol!

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Holly

Sorry, this is too much. A spoiled old Trump supporter expects an exemption for the size sign in her yard in some little town I have never heard of. The discussion has gone to God being rebuked by institutions. Can you say "that's nuts?" Enjoy the rest of your discussion.

I understand why you left the thread, you couldn’t answer my questions. Your surrender is noted.

What if someone put up a 4x5 sign that said OBAMA STILL ROCKS complete with him on his bicycle? People would still complain.

The ones saying these signs have to go would be arguing for those signs to stay and claiming racism if anyone disagreed.
Conservatives need to stop putting themselves into opposition to zoning laws. Zoning is inherently conservative and pro-private property. If you own a nice house on a nice street in a nice neighborhood, and decide to open a slaughterhouse or strip joint or something, your neighbors would be justified in complaining and forcing you to stop your plans in order to "conserve" the integrity of the neighborhood.

What you need to do is mind your own fucking business.

Your examples are ridiculous.

Liberals need to stop objecting to peaceful protest as a way to change laws.

Liberals are so use to violently protesting they don't know what the way something should be protested should look like.

Liberals are so use to violently protesting they don't know what the way something should be protested should look like.

Lock her up!!! Lock her up!!! Lock her up!!! Lock her up!!! Lock her up!!! Lock her up!!! Lock her up!!! Lock her up!!!
Sound familiar?

Lock her up!!! Lock her up!!! Lock her up!!! Lock her up!!! Lock her up!!! Lock her up!!! Lock her up!!! Lock her up!!!
Sound familiar?

When this woman in Maine is responsible for the deaths of 4 honorable Americans like Hillary was, OK.

Forum List

Back