Dr who viewership going way down.

Resnic

Diamond Member
May 2, 2021
So it seems the viewshipnof Dr who is in decline. Of course that started when they switched Dr who to a woman. Which in other times no one may have paid much attention but in today's world of diversity and "anything but a straight white guy" it's no wonder people reject things because they don't happen organically anymore, they happen to push and force social agendas on people.

But come on you make dr who a black gay dude are you surprised straight white people aren't interested?

Then you have an army of keyboard jockeys pretending to be journalists making posts like this.

It kind of makes me think of this.

cee9b7cae65eb0b37289ea6afac33240d255802bb7b721de8581f7832fe5b6fe_1.webp

The idea was that for every fan lost to queering the Who, two more would be gained. That's not the way it works. Dr. Who is failing and may never recover.

The same thing is happening with Interview with the Vampire.

Last edited:
The idea was that for every fan lost to queering the Who, two more would be gained. That's not the way it works. Dr. Who is failing and may never recover.

The same thing is happening with Interview with the Vampire.
Interview with a Vampire has always been queer as a three-dollar bill.

Since Ann Rice wrote it.

The problem with Doctor Who is not necessarily the actor, but the fact that 1) The stories haven't been that good in a while and 2) After 19 years, people are kind of bored with it. It's been 19 years since the revival started, they've gone through six actors in the lead role.

I do think they are making some silly decisions (like taking Davros out of his wheelchair so we don't offend the disabled).

Since Ann Rice wrote it.

The problem with Doctor Who is not necessarily the actor, but the fact that 1) The stories haven't been that good in a while and 2) After 19 years, people are kind of bored with it. It's been 19 years since the revival started, they've gone through six actors in the lead role.

I do think they are making some silly decisions (like taking Davros out of his wheelchair so we don't offend the disabled).
Whatever Anne Rice intended for instance Louis and 5 year old Claudia were lovers. The newest adaptation for AMC isn't it. It became far too gay for my toleration.

Whatever Anne Rice intended for instance Louis and 5 year old Claudia were lovers. The newest adaptation for AMC isn't it. It became far too gay for my toleration.
Did you miss the whole subtext of the relationship between Louis and LeStat.

Not that the whole thing with Claudia wasn't creepy as hell. In the book, she's like five years old.

So it seems the viewshipnof Dr who is in decline. Of course that started when they switched Dr who to a woman.
No, actually, it started with Peter Capaldi.

Which in other times no one may have paid much attention but in today's world of diversity and "anything but a straight white guy" it's no wonder people reject things because they don't happen organically anymore, they happen to push and force social agendas on people.

Except- um, Doctor Who has always been a little "Woke", even back to the Jon Pertwee Era. (1969-1974)

But come on you make dr who a black gay dude are you surprised straight white people aren't interested?

Then you have an army of keyboard jockeys pretending to be journalists making posts like this.
They have a point. When I was in college in the 1980s and Doctor Who had it's last boomlet of popularity, a lot of the fans were women and a lot of them were people of color.

The problem with Doctor Who is one of diminishing returns. Every time the Doctor Regenerates, the show will lose a large chunk of it's audience because they were there for that particular actor. In the 1970's, the show peaked with Tom Baker. In the modern run, it peaked with David Tennant, stayed level with Matt Smith, but declined after Capaldi brought his take as the Doctor as a Grumpy Old Scotsman. I like Capaldi, but a lot of younger fans didn't.

Whitaker just didn't work, but not because she had two hanging high instead of two hanging low.

Gatwa isn't bad. He's not Smith or Tennant, though. And it's not anything we haven't seen before.

Since Ann Rice wrote it.

joe apparently you never saw that episode....he was out of the wheelchair because the story was about how he got in the chair...

So it seems the viewshipnof Dr who is in decline. Of course that started when they switched Dr who to a woman. Which in other times no one may have paid much attention but in today's world of diversity and "anything but a straight white guy" it's no wonder people reject things because they don't happen organically anymore, they happen to push and force social agendas on people.

The media is taking the Stalinist approach (of course), where content is made by the regime, for the regime, and no one else's opinions are considered.

joe apparently you never saw that episode....he was out of the wheelchair because the story was about how he got in the chair...
1) I did see the episode. (Actually, a mini-episode)
2) It takes place at a time before he was in the wheelchair, but that didn't make any sense because it contradicted previous lore. (That he had completed the Dalek design much earlier than he did.)

1) I did see the episode. (Actually, a mini-episode)
2) It takes place at a time before he was in the wheelchair, but that didn't make any sense because it contradicted previous lore. (That he had completed the Dalek design much earlier than he did.)
most writers for shows today just write,they dont care about previous episodes....many have never seen the show they are writing for....thats why the scripts have been so bad....the writers have no clue about the shows history...to them its just another job....

most writers for shows today just write,they dont care about previous episodes....many have never seen the show they are writing for....thats why the scripts have been so bad....the writers have no clue about the shows history...to them its just another job....
And that's a real problem, particularly in a show like Trek or Doctor Who with long histories and continuities.

That said, most series have a "Series Bible" that clearly define characters and their universe.

And that's a real problem, particularly in a show like Trek or Doctor Who with long histories and continuities.

That said, most series have a "Series Bible" that clearly define characters and their universe.
but that bible is useless if the show runner doesnt make the writers adhere to it....

but that bible is useless if the show runner doesnt make the writers adhere to it....
I agree.

The bigger problem, though was that Chris Chibnall threw the bible out, put in a whole lot of new stuff the fans hated with a passion (see the Timeless Child storyline),

A few years ago I watched a couple of Dr. Who episodes because so many people raved about the show.
I found it to be boring and kinda silly.
Still can't figure out why it has such a large and loyal fan base. ..

Well, besides generations of Britons grew up with it, I think the appeal of the show is that it's a great fantasy.

When a person happens to be gay in an entertainment setting and it is treated as natural and ordinary as it is in real life, pretty much everybody is okay with that. Think the two gay guys on "The Good Doctor" who were intelligent, sympathetic characters, never in your face with their gay orientation any more than heterosexuals are in your face with theirs. And when one of those characters was killed this season, I think all of us who have enjoyed that series felt the anguish and pain of loss of his significant other and his straight coworkers. The same with the Hispanic, black, Asian characters, there is never any in your face stuff re race or ethnicity and it all seems very natural and as things should be. All are just normal people going about their normal duties without any social engineering built into it.

Looking back a few decades at the TV sitcom "Barney Miller", one of the funniest and compelling comedies ever put on television, the racially diverse makeup of the police department including primary characters also seemed normal, natural, as it should be and there again was no social messaging thrown into it. Just normal, if very funny, people going about their normal duties. The gay couple that presented intermittently on the show was exceedingly funny and also quite endearing and we looked forward to their scenes.

In my opinion allowing people to be color blind and treat everybody the same without worrying about racial or gender or sexual orientation sensibilities is the way to eliminate all the 'isms that seem to dominate the national psyche these days.

All those who dress, speak, conduct themselves as normal people in normal society seem to get along just fine in American society regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation etc.

But when they are in our faces, preachy, demand special accommodations, privileges, representation and protections, weaponize pronouns, etc. I think all normal people resent that and do push back on it.

Forum List

Back