Serious Thread Topic: Can Terrorism Really Be Stopped?

SYTFE

Gold Member
Jun 25, 2016
Trolling/No Content
I'd like to get some thoughts from the liberals on this, because as a liberal, I really don't hear a whole lot of solutions to stopping terrorism. Probably because it can't be stopped. But I'd still like to hear if there have been any solutions proposed by the left.

Also would like to hear thoughts from the right about a real solution. Do you guys really think that bombing people into oblivion is going to end terrorism? We're talking about religious extremism here -- violence against them only adds fuel to the fire. Does the right actually have a real, actionable solution to ending terrorism?

My personal point of view is that you can't really stop it. I don't see how it's possible as long as people still cling to these poisonous ME religions. The only real way we'd ever end global terrorism is through a sort of collective spiritual and psychological evolution to the next level, where as a society we've moved past the violent idiocy of archaic organized religion. The change must come from within. But that just isn't in the cards for the foreseeable future. In other words, we're screwed and terrorism will become more and more of a "normal" part of life.

Discuss...

I'd like to get some thoughts from the liberals on this, because as a liberal, I really don't hear a whole lot of solutions to stopping terrorism. Probably because it can't be stopped. But I'd still like to hear if there have been any solutions proposed by the left.

Also would like to hear thoughts from the right about a real solution. Do you guys really think that bombing people into oblivion is going to end terrorism? We're talking about religious extremism here -- violence against them only adds fuel to the fire. Does the right actually have a real, actionable solution to ending terrorism?

My personal point of view is that you can't really stop it. I don't see how it's possible as long as people still cling to these poisonous ME religions. The only real way we'd ever end global terrorism is through a sort of collective spiritual and psychological evolution to the next level, where as a society we've moved past the violent idiocy of archaic organized religion. The change must come from within. But that just isn't in the cards for the foreseeable future. In other words, we're screwed and terrorism will become more and more of a "normal" part of life.

Discuss...
The only real way we'd ever end global terrorism is through a sort of collective spiritual and psychological evolution to the next level, where as a society we've moved past the violent idiocy of archaic organized religion.
Give us 500 years and get back to us.
I'd still like to hear if there have been any solutions proposed by the left.
There is a huge ballooning of young people in the M.E. and Northern Africa. Over half the population is under 35. Unemployment is 30% and no hope of getting better. The solutions I've heard proposed are the boring socio-economic ones of focusing on more opportunity for young people. It won't stop all recruitment, but it would probably cut down on the numbers a lot in a generation.
There is no quick fix. I agree with you that JUST bombing the shit out of them isn't the solution. It's part of the solution because they CANNOT control swaths of territory in order to make $ and go about their bloody business undisturbed. Of course, it is also completely against everyone's ideas of human rights to barge in to a city, kill all the resistance and take over, which is how they have taken Raqqa and Mosul and the rest.
So bombs there are in order, imo.
But to keep it from being a chronic 100 year problem? Focus on a better future. Maybe not our responsibility, but help the actual governments in M.E. and Northern Africa do that. An international effort. Bring them into the awesome global economy. Right now, even parts of Egypt are running on 8 or 9 hours of electricity a day. The infrastructure and their economies are gasping. Out of work and desperate young men aren't all that different anywhere. Look what they do in Chiraq.
So that's one lefty's ideas.

Discuss...

I think when somebody has no regard for their own life it makes it really difficult to fight without serious constraints on personal freedoms.

Unfortunately.

Jap kamikaze planes flew right into the guns, no avoidance, and some still got through....

I don't think it can be wiped out. There is an element of religious fanaticism, but I think it may happen even without it, perhaps to a lesser extent.

Take for example the classic case of someone shooting a bunch of people, taking hostages, then effing himself. Happens quite often, usually without religious or political connotations.

Even cannibalism has not been completely wiped out, there are cases devoid of any cultural context, they still happen, even if it's not common.

Have you any idea of the amount of money the world has poured into Africa?

No! We cannot stop it. We can slow it down though by border security and strict tracking of visas! England knew of their latest attacker, been watching him for years! Fat lot of good knowing does right?

Discuss...

Not a lot of time for a detailed response right now but I think the following; forget about stopping it totally. Be it Radical Islam or Radical Christianity…there will be people who hate.

MOST of the supporters cheering it on are not willing usually to act but some are. If we make it so that they get very little reward from their actions the millions of supporters that cheer it on will dwindle and the recruits will dry up.

There has always been terrrorism. It's nothing new - the only difference between now and 30 years ago is different players and more sophisticated methods. In Europe and North America - it's still a rare phenomenum, but because it's so horrific, it's measured out of scale with it's actual occurance in terms of risk.

I'm not sure we can actually "stop" it, just do our best to stay ahead of it and you can't do that with just a military solution.

In the immediate term:
You have to address immediate security - lock down the area, was he acting alone, part of a group, who are his associates?
You have to address the "why" - what led him to this point? If it's religious extremism - when and how was he radicalized?
You have to look at failures in the system - was he on any watch lists, had people reported on him but had it slipped through the cracks, was there anything that could have been picked up that can be utilized in the future, did he have a record of untreated mental health issues or interactions with the mental health or law enforcement systems that might have sparked a red flag?
Are there international implications?

In the intermediate term:
Was he part of a group and if so what was that group's ideology and who are it's members? Are they under surveillance?
What communities do we need to work with in order to get the information we need?
What are the weak links in our society and community that is allowing these groups to exploit vulnerable people?
Is intelligence adequately shared among our groups and with our international counterparts?

Long term:
We need to ask ourselves...
how many rights, and how much freedom and liberty are we willing to give up to attain a sense of security?
how much of OTHER people's rights, freedom and liberty are we willing to give up?
How much risk are we wiilling to accept in order to be a free and open society.

:dunno:

Discuss...

Not a lot of time for a detailed response right now but I think the following; forget about stopping it totally. Be it Radical Islam or Radical Christianity…there will be people who hate.
Ya cause after all we have THOUSANDS of examples of Christian terrorism like we do Islamic, right?

New Topics

Forum List

Back