Santa Claus

Every year, I go through some version of this annoyance.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why so many adults are addicted to the idea of lying to children about Santa Claus being real. I'm bringing this up at the moment because I took my 6-year-old, Quinn, to the grocery store with me tonight. On the way out, he stopped to pet a dog that was being walked by his owner. The man inquired if Quinn was ready for Santa Claus to come in three days. Confused, Quinn looked up at him and said, "There's no such thing as Santa Claus."

Now, up to that point, I could understand it. It was just a polite question, based on the undeniable fact that many, if not most, parents of 6-year-olds do perpetuate the Santa myth.

But then this man proceeded to argue with Quinn, saying, "Of course there's a Santa. He brings presents on Christmas." Now Quinn was really confused, and looked over at me, getting agitated. (You should understand that all of my children are quite sensitive to feeling that they're being lied to.) His response: "There's no Santa. Mom and Dad give presents."

Incredibly, this guy started to continue arguing with him. I stepped in, said, "You're right, honey, but a lot of kids do believe in Santa, and that's up to their parents. Tell the nice man and his dog Merry Christmas, and let's get home."
I agree completely. BUT at that point you should have kicked the idiot in the nuts. I think it's harmful, kids learn early on that mom and dad lied to them all along and it likely sets a precedent in their minds to distrust what you say.

Well, I figure it's probably a good life lesson for my kid that one has to pick and choose who one trusts, although that's not a lesson any parent ever likes having to teach their kids.

i told my son the truth rather early on......i got several angry phone calls from the parents of the other kids on his school bus seems he busted out and told them all....right down to the wee first graders......i got a lot of sarcastic merry fucking christmas that year.....

Yeah, and my response would have been, "I'm SOOO sorry your kid found out you're a liar sooner than you wanted."

Don't get mouthy with ME because you got busted, y'know what I'm saying? Not my job to protect and support your dishonesty.

Forum List

Back