Santa Claus

I always knew that Christmas was about celebrating Christ's birth....

And reading the poem.

And making fudge and Martha Washingtons.

And tamales. Christmas in Tucson is all about cookies, fudge, and grandma's tamales. Since I'm not Mexican and my grandma couldn't have made a tamale to save her life, I had to learn to make my own.
So you're a masa tosser?

Absolutely. It wouldn't be Christmas without homemade tamales. We have people that go around door-to-door this time of year, selling their abuela's tamales.

And reading the poem.

And tamales. Christmas in Tucson is all about cookies, fudge, and grandma's tamales. Since I'm not Mexican and my grandma couldn't have made a tamale to save her life, I had to learn to make my own.
So you're a masa tosser?

Absolutely. It wouldn't be Christmas without homemade tamales. We have people that go around door-to-door this time of year, selling their abuela's tamales.
Your not my ex-wife are you?

As a child, of about 6-7 I wondered about the Kringle myth and where the presents came from, since our large family had Christmas celebrations starting a week before Christmas to be able to visit and exchange presents..So I stayed up all night, listening to cues about the visit from man from the North Pole......About midnight the TG&Y sacks began to rattle and for an hour I hear paper shuffling and tape being pulled out and cut for the wrapping of the gifts....I knew then after staying up till dawn that Santa, was not real.....
I never liked lying to my kids to get them to listen or to have discipline...

I tend toward the "my house, my money, my rules" theory of discipline. Also, my hyper-literal, rules-lawyer kids respond really well to reason and explanations. And they trust me enough to believe there IS a reason, even if I don't have time to explain it right then.

And reading the poem.

So you're a masa tosser?

No, this is a tradition most Tucsonans enthusiastically support. :)

And reading the poem.

So you're a masa tosser?

No, this is a tradition most Tucsonans enthusiastically support. :)
Dear old Dad lives in Yuma....

I also make Russian tea cakes....essentially a nutty shortbread .coated in powdered sugar. This year that was my contribution to twenty two stockings I contributed to. It was so much easier and cheaper than buying 22 items. Those were good, but I made a second batch using crushed pecans instead of walnuts...Those were fab too.

I also make Russian tea cakes....essentially a nutty shortbread .coated in powdered sugar. This year that was my contribution to twenty two stockings I contributed to. It was so much easier and cheaper than buying 22 items. Those were good, but I made a second batch using crushed pecans instead of walnuts...Those were fab too.

I always substitute pecans for walnuts in anything I make, because I'm allergic to walnuts.

Every year, I go through some version of this annoyance.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why so many adults are addicted to the idea of lying to children about Santa Claus being real. I'm bringing this up at the moment because I took my 6-year-old, Quinn, to the grocery store with me tonight. On the way out, he stopped to pet a dog that was being walked by his owner. The man inquired if Quinn was ready for Santa Claus to come in three days. Confused, Quinn looked up at him and said, "There's no such thing as Santa Claus."

Now, up to that point, I could understand it. It was just a polite question, based on the undeniable fact that many, if not most, parents of 6-year-olds do perpetuate the Santa myth.

But then this man proceeded to argue with Quinn, saying, "Of course there's a Santa. He brings presents on Christmas." Now Quinn was really confused, and looked over at me, getting agitated. (You should understand that all of my children are quite sensitive to feeling that they're being lied to.) His response: "There's no Santa. Mom and Dad give presents."

Incredibly, this guy started to continue arguing with him. I stepped in, said, "You're right, honey, but a lot of kids do believe in Santa, and that's up to their parents. Tell the nice man and his dog Merry Christmas, and let's get home."

I mean, seriously. If the mother's standing right there and making no attempt to jump in and convince her kid that Santa exists, odds are that she's the one who gave him the straight scoop on the fat guy in the first place. So why in the holy hell would you argue with the kid and try to convince him of something you know is a lie, when HE obviously knows it, too?

My daughter is going through one of those extra-fun custody battles over my granddaughter. I was absolutely floored when one of her ex's big arguments to show that my daughter is a bad mother is that she told her daughter - who's 5 - that Santa wasn't real, and presents were actually given by family and friends. This wasn't exactly a newsflash, since this has been common knowledge in my granddaughter's life all along, but it came up because Dad and his new girlfriend were trying to convince her to buy into the whole thing, and she came to her mom for clarification and honest answers.

What really amazed me about his argument to the court, though, is that at least some of the child welfare people monitoring the case actually thought this was a sign of bad parenting. Excuse me, WHAT?! No wonder Arizona has kids being murdered by abusive parents and foster parents in job lots, if THIS is what gets their shorts in a twist.

Just another example of how completely ass-backwards nuts our society is, I guess.
The lack of imagination in children is destructive to their ability to their ability to reason on their own later in life.
Every kid hearing the story of Cinderella for the first time thinks she was a real person. Do you start the story by saying she is fictional? That would be cruel in my view.

If a 6 year old asks you point blank if Santa or Cinderella is real, you tell them the truth. Until then, kids need to use their imagination and expand their universe.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why so many adults are addicted to the idea of lying to children about Santa Claus being real. I'm bringing this up at the moment because I took my 6-year-old, Quinn, to the grocery store with me tonight. On the way out, he stopped to pet a dog that was being walked by his owner. The man inquired if Quinn was ready for Santa Claus to come in three days. Confused, Quinn looked up at him and said, "There's no such thing as Santa Claus."

Now, up to that point, I could understand it. It was just a polite question, based on the undeniable fact that many, if not most, parents of 6-year-olds do perpetuate the Santa myth.

But then this man proceeded to argue with Quinn, saying, "Of course there's a Santa. He brings presents on Christmas." Now Quinn was really confused, and looked over at me, getting agitated. (You should understand that all of my children are quite sensitive to feeling that they're being lied to.) His response: "There's no Santa. Mom and Dad give presents."

Incredibly, this guy started to continue arguing with him. I stepped in, said, "You're right, honey, but a lot of kids do believe in Santa, and that's up to their parents. Tell the nice man and his dog Merry Christmas, and let's get home."

I mean, seriously. If the mother's standing right there and making no attempt to jump in and convince her kid that Santa exists, odds are that she's the one who gave him the straight scoop on the fat guy in the first place. So why in the holy hell would you argue with the kid and try to convince him of something you know is a lie, when HE obviously knows it, too?

My daughter is going through one of those extra-fun custody battles over my granddaughter. I was absolutely floored when one of her ex's big arguments to show that my daughter is a bad mother is that she told her daughter - who's 5 - that Santa wasn't real, and presents were actually given by family and friends. This wasn't exactly a newsflash, since this has been common knowledge in my granddaughter's life all along, but it came up because Dad and his new girlfriend were trying to convince her to buy into the whole thing, and she came to her mom for clarification and honest answers.

What really amazed me about his argument to the court, though, is that at least some of the child welfare people monitoring the case actually thought this was a sign of bad parenting. Excuse me, WHAT?! No wonder Arizona has kids being murdered by abusive parents and foster parents in job lots, if THIS is what gets their shorts in a twist.

Just another example of how completely ass-backwards nuts our society is, I guess.
The lack of imagination in children is destructive to their ability to their ability to reason on their own later in life.
Every kid hearing the story of Cinderella for the first time thinks she was a real person. Do you start the story by saying she is fictional? That would be cruel in my view.

If a 6 year old asks you point blank if Santa or Cinderella is real, you tell them the truth. Until then, kids need to use their imagination and expand their universe.
Cinderella isn't real....but Little Red Riding Hood is!!

Our family is more the type that says of course it's real wink wink wink here wrap some presents for me...

I believed in Santa for a while, but then I became skeptical on my own and figured it was parents. The final nail in the coffin for Santa in my case was when my older cousin told me that he wasn't real. I have to admit that I was kind of sad even though I kind of already knew. It was just kind of a disappointment I suppose.

I was 7 when I found out that there was no Santa.

Last edited:

I always substitute pecans for walnuts in anything I make, because I'm allergic to walnuts.
Yes it did cross my mind that my Russian tea cakes could be an instrument of death for some. Then there would be fewer stockings next year.

Russian tea cakes and Mexican wedding cookies are the same thing btw which totally confuses moi.

Do you HAVE to tell your kid that stories aren't real? Mine are smart enough to figure that one out on their own.

As for "lack of imagination", I think we have it covered. When Nicholas was in first grade, his teacher gave the class a "free drawing" exercise. Most of the kids drew their families, or their dogs, or something of that nature. Nicholas drew a time machine, with an elaborate backstory as to how he could use it to change history, or go into the future to bring back all sorts of inventions. He is currently working toward his plan to be a video game designer.

Quinn, on the other hand, can talk until your ears bleed about the secret lives of cats and dogs (he currently plans to be a veterinarian), and the different types of aliens that probably live in all the other solar systems out there (he recently became fully aware of how immense space truly is, and he's very excited).

We live in a universe full of endless wonder and mystery . . . REAL wonder and mystery. If you need to believe fiction is fact in order to have imagination, then you're not doing it right.

Cinderella isn't real....but Little Red Riding Hood is!!

Talking wolves?

Yes it did cross my mind that my Russian tea cakes could be an instrument of death for some. Then there would be fewer stockings next year.

I miss pecan pie. :( Unfortunately, with my blood sugar issues, anything that's almost entirely corn syrup is out of the question.

I miss pecan pie. :( Unfortunately, with my blood sugar issues, anything that's almost entirely corn syrup is out of the question.
That is sad...

Do you HAVE to tell your kid that stories aren't real? Mine are smart enough to figure that one out on their own.

As for "lack of imagination", I think we have it covered. When Nicholas was in first grade, his teacher gave the class a "free drawing" exercise. Most of the kids drew their families, or their dogs, or something of that nature. Nicholas drew a time machine, with an elaborate backstory as to how he could use it to change history, or go into the future to bring back all sorts of inventions. He is currently working toward his plan to be a video game designer.

Quinn, on the other hand, can talk until your ears bleed about the secret lives of cats and dogs (he currently plans to be a veterinarian), and the different types of aliens that probably live in all the other solar systems out there (he recently became fully aware of how immense space truly is, and he's very excited).

We live in a universe full of endless wonder and mystery . . . REAL wonder and mystery. If you need to believe fiction is fact in order to have imagination, then you're not doing it right.
kids today have realistic video games, DVDs, etc. Very little imagination required today.

That is sad...

Better than being dead. Limiting sugar intake is a small price to pay for my surgery.

kids today have realistic video games, DVDs, etc. Very little imagination required today.

Maybe not to play them, but he designs them. Do you know a lot of unimaginative people who write videogame scripts and then draw the art to illustrate them?

Forum List

Back