Romney will be the GOP nominee

Romney has read this political dynamic just right. While most other candidates have embarrassed themselves and wasted their time by lavishing unwarranted attention on a small number of Tea Party “leaders,” Romney has been content merely to avoid antagonizing them. In his Sunday Tea Party Express speech in Concord, Romney did not pander and managed to talk for 13 minutes without uttering the phrase “Tea Party” once.

Instead, Romney has embraced Tea Party issues on spending, debt, and taxes while keeping Tea Party activists at arm’s length. It’s the right approach, politically.

Fergus Cullen: In NH, the Tea Party movement is smaller than advertised | New Hampshire LOCALVOICES

Romney has read this political dynamic just right. While most other candidates have embarrassed themselves and wasted their time by lavishing unwarranted attention on a small number of Tea Party “leaders,” Romney has been content merely to avoid antagonizing them. In his Sunday Tea Party Express speech in Concord, Romney did not pander and managed to talk for 13 minutes without uttering the phrase “Tea Party” once.

Instead, Romney has embraced Tea Party issues on spending, debt, and taxes while keeping Tea Party activists at arm’s length. It’s the right approach, politically.

Romney's making the same mistake he made in 2008. He's counting on these early states to win the election for him.

In 2008, he lost Iowa to Huckabee and then limped wounded into New Hampshire, where McCain was able to rise from the dead and beat him there. His campaign never recovered from these miscalculations, and he was done by Super Tuesday.

Really, the primary schedule is not his friend this time.

He really has no chance in Iowa, and little chance in South Carolina. Despite the Mormon advantage in Nevada, he running a bit behind Perry there.

He's betting all his chips on New Hampshire, a state notorious for flipping off candidates.

Last nights GOP debate on CNN didn't change my mind - I don't care if Perry is ahead of Romney in the polls.

Perry is UNELECTABLE in the general election (does anybody remember Barry Goldwater in 1964?)

Last nights GOP debate on CNN didn't change my mind - I don't care if Perry is ahead of Romney in the polls.

Perry is UNELECTABLE in the general election (does anybody remember Barry Goldwater in 1964?)

Well, actually, I was 2 at the time..

But man, is that the best comparison you can come up with. "Let's not nominate a real conservative because 50 years ago, we did that and he lost."

It's like asking why Custer lost at Little Big Horn. Because the Indians won.

Let's look at the 1964 election.

LBJ was running under the mantle of a martyred president. We were at peace, the unemployment rate was at 5.1%- lower than it had been when he and JFK got elected in 1960. Every possible measure of prosperity read positively. We were at the Zenith of our economic, military and political power in the world. The office of the President had respect and it had been 30 years since an incumbant lost.

In short, Barry Goldwater was already pushing a very large bolder up a hill that was probably too steep. It is really unlikely Nelson Rockefeller- the Mitt Romney of his day without the crazy religion- could have done any better.

Since Goldwater, when the GOP has run true conservatives- Nixon, Reagan, Bush-43- they've won. When they've run milqtoast, let's try to get the liberals to like us moderate- Ford, Dole, McCain- they lose.

The dems used the Daisy Ad to portray Goldwater as someone who could start a nuclear war and blow up the world. (actally there was no basis of fact for the ad whatsoever.

They would do the same thing with Perry re Social Security if he won the GOP nomination.

The dems used the Daisy Ad to portray Goldwater as someone who could start a nuclear war and blow up the world. (actally there was no basis of fact for the ad whatsoever.

They would do the same thing with Perry re Social Security if he won the GOP nomination.

So what? I mean, I'm no fan of Perry or Romney, but your only goal seems to be to nominate some who is most likely to win. Does it matter to you at all who that person is, or what they stand for?

So what? I mean, I'm no fan of Perry or Romney, but your only goal seems to be to nominate some who is most likely to win. Does it matter to you at all who that person is, or what they stand for?

I could live with Romney. So he's not Mr Excitement. If Perry gets the nomination - the GOP can kiss the pivotal state of Florida goodbye with all of the seniors.

I could live with Romney. So he's not Mr Excitement. If Perry gets the nomination - the GOP can kiss the pivotal state of Florida goodbye with all of the seniors.

OK.. I guess you're not getting my point. Neither Romney nor Perry would be an improvement over Obama. They're cut from the same cloth. If the only way to win is to nominate someone who is pretty much the same as the schmoe in office, what's the point?

OK.. I guess you're not getting my point. Neither Romney nor Perry would be an improvement over Obama. They're cut from the same cloth. If the only way to win is to nominate someone who is pretty much the same as the schmoe in office, what's the point?

Excuse ME - but I think Romney has a SLIGHTLY better track record on economic matters than Obama - MASS MIRACLE ............

Obama makes Carter look good................................

That ad was vastly overrated.

Republicans like to pretend that 1964 was some close thing and if Goldwater had only done X or they had not run him and run Goldwater instead, that things might have been different.

The fact is, LBJ won because he had peace, solid economics, and the mantle of a martyred president. (JFK had been assassinated less than a year before the 1964 election.)

You also have to consider Goldwater's personality, which was abrasive as all get out.

People joked his slogan of "Deep down, you know he's right" should have read "Deep down, you know he's nuts!"

If you want to find a better allegory, Goldwater would be what would happen if the GOP actually had a complete Brain Fart and Nominated Ron Paul.

Attacking Mormanism won't work.

Tried Catholic with JFK.

The two things aren't even comparable.

By 1960, there was no real hostility towards Catholicism. Also, at that time, Catholics were the largest single denomination in the country.

There are only 3 million Mormons in this country, compared to some 30 million Baptists who consider them heretics. Gallup has found 22% of Americans, including 18% of Republicans won't vote for a Mormon. I know I won't. Ever.

Secondly, Mormons really do believe some weird stuff.

That Dark Skin is a curse from God.
That they wear Magic underpants.
That God lives on a planet called Kolob.
That you can become a God and rule over your own army of "spirit children" when you die.
That every other religion besides Mormonism is wrong.

The LameStream media won't talk about this now, but you will hear all about it if Romney ever becomes the nominee.

Secondly, Mormons really do believe some weird stuff.

That Dark Skin is a curse from God.
That they wear Magic underpants.
That God lives on a planet called Kolob.
That you can become a God and rule over your own army of "spirit children" when you die.
That every other religion besides Mormonism is wrong.

The LameStream media won't talk about this now, but you will hear all about it if Romney ever becomes the nominee.

Until recently I found your first point to be laughable. But now that I have seen for myself it is crystal clear that those Mormons have it pegged.

The GOP wants to get Obama out of office (who doesnt) and Romney gives them the best chance.

Dems are PRAYING Perry gets the nomination -so many chances to attack..

Romney was the CLEAR winner in the GOP debate.

VERY IMPRESSED.

He is looking very presidential right now; have to say that. And his 18,000 page plan is not all bad; some of it very tragic but not all bad.

The GOP wants to get Obama out of office (who doesnt) and Romney gives them the best chance.

VERY IMPRESSED.
The bad news is that Romney is the one GOP candidate Democrats should fear because he can challenge Obama for the "political center."

The good news is that the Republicans/TEA PARTY are their own worst enemies and will nominate one of the other GOP candidates who are already so far to the "political right" that he/she will have no chance in the 2012 general election - even on the planet "Kolob!"

Last edited:

VERY IMPRESSED.

Pssssst...He is a mormon. Seriously, he is. WE want Pery of this guy to win the nomination. It would be a larger victory margine this way really.

VERY IMPRESSED.

You know what bothers me--everyone seems to be ready to forgive Romney for his health care bill in Mass. they seem to be ready to forgive Perry on his stance on immigration--YET they won't forgive Newt Gingrich for a couple of stupid advertisements he made years ago--and in my opinion he is the most knowlegable--frank and sincere GOP candidate?

Beats Me?

-YET they won't forgive Newt Gingrich for a couple of stupid advertisements he made years ago--and in my opinion he is the most knowlegable--frank and sincere GOP candidate?

Agreed. Gingrich is by far the most intelligent Republican, but he wants to build an insanely Big Government around National Security > Terrorism > Surveillance. He wants the Patriot Act on steroids. He wants a big federal government with powerful intelligence networks that tie every state together under a big brother blanket of federally enforced law enforcement protocols. He wants to use National Security to give Washington more control over the states.

Attention Newt: Let the states decide how much freedom they want to trade for the illusion of safety. America doesn't need a Big Nanny Government to keep it safe. (Yes, we would all love safety and security, but only Republicans trust Big Government to provide it. Silly Republicans: government will only make things worse. If you give Government expanded surveillance powers, you won't be any safer. Why? Because bureaucrats are incompetent. Silly, silly Republicans)

You have a greater chance of getting struck by lightening than dying in a terrorist attack, but men like Gingrich (and much of the GOP) want you to trade massive amounts of privacy and freedom. (The GOP always exaggerates potential threats in order to give the Feds more power)

Attention Newt: we would all love total security from evil doers, but Washington is not capable of solving every problem. In fact, the more power you give Washington, the bigger will be their mistakes. (Republicans never seem to understand this, despite how much they berate Liberals)

Attention Newt: Please listen to Ron Paul. Stop trying to convince the under-educated Tea Party to give up civil liberties on behalf of a utopian dream: total safety delivered by Washington. (Only a Republican could believe such a myth. Why do they love government so much. Do you see how much they love Reagan, a government figure. Republicans love government figures like most other people love rock stars)

The Liberals are terrible when it comes to giving Washington power, but the Republicans have always been worse. The Reagan and Bush war on drugs gave the Feds expansive power over the states. And let's not even talk about the Cold War and War on Terrorism - massive constructs which grew Washington beyond belief. Reagan used the Cold War to put military bases all over the globe - he didn't just want Washington to control the 50 states, nope, Ronnie wanted a Government big enough to manage the entire global system. Talk about Big Government. Bush put Washington in charge of rebuilding whole Arab nations. (Are you kidding me? The GOP doesn't trust Washington to run a laundromat, yet they put Washington in charge of rebuilding whole Arab cultures? What? Are you kidding? Why does the GOP trust government so much?)

How did the GOP convince their small government base to go along with this stuff? Answer: the base is easily manipulated because most of them get their information from Talk Radio and television.

(We know the Liberals want to grow government, but why does the GOP always want to grow it bigger?)

Like Bush, Newt wants to create another National Security Presidency whereby Washington pulls all the states under its protective, nanny wing.

Attention GOP: stop trusting government to do the impossible. We know Washington can't end poverty. And we know it can't lower global temperatures. So why do you trust it to provide total safety from harm?

(Washington can't fix poverty or evil or global warming, but you can bankrupt taxpayers trying)

(People don't get it: we can't afford the War on Terrorism Part II. We can't afford another round of the profligate Bush years. After Obama, we can't afford Big Government Conservatism - which always manages to spend twice as much as the Dems, if Reagan and Bush 43 are any indicator)

Life comes with risk. A terrorist might some day attack us. Only Republicans, living in fear, are stupid enough to trust a big nanny state to protect them.

Silly Republicans. They never learn. Every time they control the presidency, they make government bigger and bigger.

Just wait until 2012. The War on Terrorism will be back on steroids - and Big Government will be given more and more power to protect us.

(Wow. Just Wow)

Last edited:

VERY IMPRESSED.

You know what bothers me--everyone seems to be ready to forgive Romney for his health care bill in Mass. they seem to be ready to forgive Perry on his stance on immigration--YET they won't forgive Newt Gingrich for a couple of stupid advertisements he made years ago--and in my opinion he is the most knowlegable--frank and sincere GOP candidate?

Beats Me?

Newt is the most intelligent guy, but I don't think he'd make a good president based on how he ran the House for the four years he was speaker and the truly awful presidential campaign he's run. (You know, the one where his entire staff quit because he wouldn't listen to them.)

Forum List

Back