Romney likes to fire people

In my opinion, the rational democrats and liberals understand what Romney said. The drooling hordes (on both sides) have an issue with it.... but that's more because of their lack of intellect than anything else.

They understand it but they will also let it be used to smear him and will turn a blind eye to the facts. Of course it was a dumb thing for him to say. I'm a bit concerned that he is making these mistakes. His margin for error is slight, these errors will mount, even if they can be explained.

But this attack on Bain and what Bain does and what PE firms do is infuriating. Romney needs to articulate it, needs to explain that companies grow and die every day as a natural part of the business cycle and that Bain and other PE firms are a NET positive to job creation.

I quite like my politicians to have feet of clay. Perfection is so very disappointing. The way I see it (and because I have a decent understanding of how it works), I don't get overly bent out of shape by any politician - left or right - making a half assed remark. Each and every one of us says something stupid, badly phrased or without thinking all the time. Politicians are no different. Why should we expect them to be script perfect when they are talking unscripted? I prefer the unscripted comments - one generally learns more from listening to unscripted speech than from hours of scripted, rehearsed speech.

We really need to learn to look rationally at our politicians instead of ragging every single sentence that can be misinterpreted. I like rational thought. It appears that many of the posters here do not.

Sure, I'm with you on this. Nobody is perfect and we should never expect that anyone will be perfect. Mistakes are made everyday by all of us. Point is, this was a big mistake by Romney (and I support him), in that jobs and being fired and job security is on the minds of a lot of people. He should know better. I like unscripted speeches too and have little use for the scripted baloney, but Romney has to be careful here. Obama is going to position himself as the big security blanket. "I'll never fire you", "I won't let them fire you", "vote for me and I won't let them kill your job". He's the bailout president. Us and them. Class warfare. While this will fade it's a net negative for Romney.

That said, it's disappointing to see Gingrich and others trash the work of Bain and PE firms. It's actually more than disappointing. It's sickening. I used to like Gingrich, a lot. Now I hope he goes away quickly and never returns. He disgusts me.

NASHUA, N.H. — Republican front-runner Mitt Romney stumbled down the homestretch of the New Hampshire primary on Monday, declaring, “I like being able to fire people who provide services to me” as his rivals intensified already fierce criticism.

“Gov. Romney enjoys firing people. I enjoy creating jobs,” said former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman, who has staked his candidacy on a strong showing in Tuesday’s primary and has shown signs of gaining ground in recent polls.

Rivals pounce as Romney says: “I like being able to fire people who provide services to me’ - The Washington Post

why did you not print his whole statement Chris?.....

Because it would prove that Chris is a dishonest partisan hack.

For the record, in context, he said:

Asked about the issue in Nashua, New Hampshire, Romney said he wanted a person to be able to own his or her own policy "and perhaps keep it the rest of their life."

"That means the insurance company will have the incentive to keep you healthy. It also means if you don't like what they do, you can fire them," he said.

"I like being able to fire people who provide services to me," Romney added. "If someone doesn't give me the good service I need, I want to say I am going to get somebody else to provide that service to me."

Notice: Nowhere in his comments does he say that he 'likes firing people'.... as asserted by Chris' title. Chris is a liar.

The more I read it, the more it was a stupid choice of words, fire. He should have simply said I like being able to determine who provides services to me. Using "fire" was just dumb. But what is more disappointing is the likes of Huntsman and Gingrich jumping on this. Huntsman ought to know he has no shot in hell of winning. Party means nothing to Huntsman. Same with Gingrich. To hell with both of them.

why did you not print his whole statement Chris?.....

Because it would prove that Chris is a dishonest partisan hack.

For the record, in context, he said:

Asked about the issue in Nashua, New Hampshire, Romney said he wanted a person to be able to own his or her own policy "and perhaps keep it the rest of their life."

"That means the insurance company will have the incentive to keep you healthy. It also means if you don't like what they do, you can fire them," he said.

"I like being able to fire people who provide services to me," Romney added. "If someone doesn't give me the good service I need, I want to say I am going to get somebody else to provide that service to me."

Notice: Nowhere in his comments does he say that he 'likes firing people'.... as asserted by Chris' title. Chris is a liar.

The more I read it, the more it was a stupid choice of words, fire. He should have simply said I like being able to determine who provides services to me. Using "fire" was just dumb. But what is more disappointing is the likes of Huntsman and Gingrich jumping on this. Huntsman ought to know he has no shot in hell of winning. Party means nothing to Huntsman. Same with Gingrich. To hell with both of them.

I agree about Huntsman and Gingrich. Both seem hell bent on putting their personal ambition over the good of their party - and.... far more importantly.... over the good of the country.

Sure, he could have worded it better... but like I said... I would rather hear unscripted, off the cuff remarks than speeches and prepared responses. Gives me a better understanding of the individual. And, while I am not a 'supporter' of Romney, I'd vote for him. Which is more than I would for Gingrich.

Romney looted American companies and sent their jobs overseas.

He does like to fire people.

22% of the companies he invested in went bankrupt.

So... 78% were a success?

And you call that a bad number. What a logical back flip...

Yeah, go figure.

I find it totally disingenuous that the 'progressives' cant see the context of what he (Romney) was saying. Keep in mind I am no Romney fan, but to take a comment so terribly OUT OF CONTEXT is just plain stupid. Oh and for the the Republican critiques to repeat the LSM's stupidity is even worse!

I dont know about you guys, but if someone is doing a job for me, I like knowing that if they are screwing it up... I can fire them.

I like that too.

Romney's a little out of touch. If your dad's a rich governor, I guess you can fire your health insurance company. If you work for a living, not so much.

Romney looted American companies and sent their jobs overseas.

He does like to fire people.

22% of the companies he invested in went bankrupt.

So... 78% were a success?

And you call that a bad number. What a logical back flip...

Yeah, go figure.

I find it totally disingenuous that the 'progressives' cant see the context of what he (Romney) was saying. Keep in mind I am no Romney fan, but to take a comment so terribly OUT OF CONTEXT is just plain stupid. Oh and for the the Republican critiques to repeat the LSM's stupidity is even worse!

I dont know about you guys, but if someone is doing a job for me, I like knowing that if they are screwing it up... I can fire them.

I like that too.

Honesty in politics is nonexistent. There are Romney ads using an Obama remark out of context as well.

Is it any wonder so many of us are fed up with the status quo?

It's about choice. You can choose another health care if you don't like it.
Dem's had better wake up to the fact that the Democratic party is about no choice.
No choice means no freedom.

Romney's a little out of touch. If your dad's a rich governor, I guess you can fire your health insurance company. If you work for a living, not so much.

Nto true. If you get your insurance through work, you are right. That is part of the problem and something that needs to be addressed desperately. The GOP wants to empower people to make decisions and fire providers who aren't working for them. The Democrats want everyone enslaved to the gov't.

Nto true. If you get your insurance through work, you are right. That is part of the problem and something that needs to be addressed desperately. The GOP wants to empower people to make decisions and fire providers who aren't working for them. The Democrats want everyone enslaved to the gov't.

You're right: working people get their insurance through work. If they get any at all.

Millions of Americans have a health plan which is: I hope I don't get sick. Not much of a choice.

Democrats have a plan. Republicans don't.

The Republicans' plan is "No".

You're right: working people get their insurance through work. If they get any at all.

Millions of Americans have a health plan which is: I hope I don't get sick. Not much of a choice.

Millions of Americans decide to take the risk of not having health insurance. That is their right as free people. We also have the right to say 'tough shit' if they get sick and find themselves having to pay for it themselves.

It would be great if you could stop lying about the Republicans and the 'no' thing. Partisan hackery is not rational.

Millions of Americans decide to take the risk of not having health insurance. That is their right as free people. We also have the right to say 'tough shit' if they get sick and find themselves having to pay for it themselves.

It would be great if you could stop lying about the Republicans and the 'no' thing. Partisan hackery is not rational.

Really. They're exercising their right to choice? Sort of like they're exercising their right to see a doctor or pay the rent?

The GOP has plans. They can even get Democrats to sign on. It is the White House saying No.
Wyden-Ryan Medicare Plan Shakes Up Politics More Than Policy : Shots - Health Blog : NPR
White House rejects new Wyden-Ryan Medicare plan - Washington Times

The GOP has plans. They can even get Democrats to sign on. It is the White House saying No.
Wyden-Ryan Medicare Plan Shakes Up Politics More Than Policy : Shots - Health Blog : NPR

From your link:

There's not much that's new in the Medicare proposal just unveiled by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.)

And

The latest one, like Ryan's original, would include a cap on total Medicare spending

And

The Wyden-Ryan scheme could, over time, cause the traditional Medicare program to 'wither on the vine' because it would raise premiums, forcing many seniors to leave traditional Medicare and joint private plans."

I take it back. The Republicans do have a plan: destroy Medicare.

So Chris, you'd prefer to live in a nation where you can't fire people who fail to provide you with what you want? You really think we should be forced to continue paying for crappy service? Do you work for a telephone company or something?

You know.........for almost 18 years I was never given the opportunity to fire people, as firing people out of the Navy requires a command evaluation and approval from BUPERS before they can be kicked out.

When I took over at MEPS Amarillo, there was a classifier who wasn't really the best worker ever. I brought this up to my boss in San Antonio, and he told me that if I wanted, he'd send me to classifier school and I could take his job over. About a week after I came back from school and had the job figured out, the MCPO called me up and asked how I was doing. When I told him that things were going well, he asked me if I still wanted the classifier that I was going to replace. I said no, and he told me to tell him to leave MEPS and go back to recruiting, as he was now fired from MEPS.

Now.........even though the guy did shoddy work and I had to go back and clean up about a years worth of contracts, when I told him he was fired, I didn't really feel good about telling him he was fired, I was just relieved that we were going to be able to get things done properly.

A few years later, I was working as manager of a bar, and a couple of times I caught some of the workers skimming off of the till. Yes, they were fired on my recommendation, but no, I never felt good about telling someone they'd lost their job.

Shoot........I've even been laid off once, and no, it's not fun.

Mitt Romney making the comment he did (especially in this economy with a lot of people out of work) shows that he's not really sensitive to the plight of others, and really could have used a better choice of words.

That being said............the main reasons I don't like Romney is because corporations are NOT people, he got a deferment to stay out of the war being a missionary in France, his sons (all 5 of them) have never served, and I really don't think that he'd make sound military decisions.

I also think that Romney is out of touch with the common man and uses them more as a prop to bolster his image than actually listening to them.

No.............even though Romney said he's "unemployed", I don't think he really understands what that means to the rest of us.

From your link:

There's not much that's new in the Medicare proposal just unveiled by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.)

And

The latest one, like Ryan's original, would include a cap on total Medicare spending

And

The Wyden-Ryan scheme could, over time, cause the traditional Medicare program to 'wither on the vine' because it would raise premiums, forcing many seniors to leave traditional Medicare and joint private plans."

I take it back. The Republicans do have a plan: destroy Medicare.

What a dishonest fuck you are.
Notice that Wyden is a Democrat. And who has been cutting Medicare $500B?

Of course I have no sympathy for Romney, but what a glaring example of sideshow politics.

What I find particularly frustrating is that people are all puffed up over the out-of-context sound bite and not even paying attention to what he was really saying in that speech. Which was, essentially, that he wants a health care plan pretty much just like Obama's.

I thought his health care plan was Obama's...?

Edit: I mean before it was Obama's.

Edit Edit: I mean, back when he was for it, before he was agains it?

If he is elected, it is highly unlikely he will dismantled the HC law. Instead, he will infuriate the Tea Baggers by making changes to it and perhaps scale it back some of its programs. He won't be able to completely do away with it.

Of course, we all know he doesn't want to anyway, being a moderate and all.

GO MITT!

Forum List

Back