Rivians’ Tires Are Wearing Out in as Little as 6,000 Miles. Here’s Why.

No, it isn't. The Rivian can't do the real Rubicon Trail. It can do the bypasses, so can my Subaru Outback. I've done it. If I tried to do the real Rubicon in my Outback I would need to be winched over pretty much every obstacle, and, at the end of the trail, which is just a few miles by the way, my Outback would be a complete write off.
thats a world of difference than a concrete road,, thats what I was calling stupid,,

That time tells me they used ALL of the bypasses. They didn't tackle a single obstacle. So basically they drove on a fairly rough dirt road, but that's it.

They didn't do a single bit of serious off road driving.
the videos I saw are a lot more than a rough dirt road,,

Out in the west that is a rough dirt road. When I am on my computer I will post up what the real Rubicon looks like
dont bother,,

I just watched some of the videos and its far from just a rough dirt road,,

your problem is youre trying to compare it to a custom built off roader instead of a off the shelf stock car/truck,,

dont bother,,

I just watched some of the videos and its far from just a rough dirt road,,

your problem is youre trying to compare it to a custom built off roader instead of a off the shelf stock car/truck,,

No, I am not. The time that it took them to do the trail tells me they used the bypasses. My friend did the real Rubicon in a WWII Jeep. It took him two days, but he did it. Lots and lots of maneuvering with a good ground guide to accomplish it though.

A stock Gladiator Rubicon on factory 33 inch tires was able to traverse it as well, just recently.

Rivian didn't say they did the Rubicon via bypasses, they just claimed to have done the Rubicon.

That is a lie.

Successfully traversing the Rubicon trail is a huge achievement. That's why they lied.

The fact that they chose to lie about it is a huge deal.

It's like someone claiming to have climbed Mt. Everest, when in fact they only climbed up to the base camp.

A stock Gladiator Rubicon on factory 33 inch tires was able to traverse it as well, just recently.

Rivian didn't say they did the Rubicon via bypasses, they just claimed to have done the Rubicon.
A Rubicon already has a far more aggressive drivetrain than a Rivian, and 33" tires are larger than stock Rivian tires, which also won't have the aggressive tread pattern of what comes on a Rubicon. A Rivian was never built to compete with a Rubicon off-road.

This is comparing apples to oranges.

the first cell phones costs thousands and could barely call across town,,

other than the model T the first cars cost far outside of the average persons reach and they were very limited and came with extra parts to rebuild the engine on the side of the road,, and they are to this day still working on infrastructure,,
And the government wasn't forcing people to buy internal combustion cars. In fact most people still used horses in those days. Same thing with cell phones, they were a luxury item at first. I worked for the phone company when cell phones first came out. We had ONE cell phone for the entire district, it was used by whichever supervisor was the off hours duty supervisor, so he was always in touch for emergencies.

A Rubicon already has a far more aggressive drivetrain than a Rivian, and 33" tires are larger than stock Rivian tires, which also won't have the aggressive tread pattern of what comes on a Rubicon. A Rivian was never built to compete with a Rubicon off-road.

This is comparing apples to oranges.
No shit sherlock. If the boys from Rivian had merely said "we did the Rubicon trail using the bypasses" no one would care. For a stock truck that isn't too bad. But they didn't. They implied that they did the ACTUAL Rubicon trail. Have you seen the beginning of the trail? Here it is. A Rivian couldn't even successfully leave the parking lot, much less do the trail itself.

Go to minute 3:45

None of them seem to have been there. One link is from Rivian, one is a news station that have just reported what they've pulled off the wire, and the other two, Hot Cars and Motortrend, were clearly not there either.

Motortrend: Since you're probably dying to know if the Rivian um, died, on the trail—no, it apparently did not. Rivian reports that the R1S electric SUV entered the trail with about 80 percent charge and finished with under 10 percent, reportedly using about 75 percent of the total 135-kWh battery pack energy. Here's the kicker, though—it was only 12 miles long.

Hot Cars: According to Rivian, the stock R1S and its crew completed the Rubicon trail around 3:30 pm after beginning at 7:45 am on August 9th.
Unless I'm wrong, the Rubicon is a lot more than twelve miles long.

LOL....So you have a problem with me buying new vehicles?
So you're jealous.
Perhaps if you planned ahead you'd be able to do the same.
I may be cheap, but I could never take a brand new forty or fifty grand truck offroad. If I was civilian off-roading, I'd want something older and cheaper that wouldn't break my heart if I scratched it or bent some Sheetmetal. That's why I did my off-roading in the Army where uncle sam paid for repairs.

Unless I'm wrong, the Rubicon is a lot more than twelve miles long.

Nope. Twelve miles long is exactly what it is. I live about 20 miles from the end point, and have done it front to back, and back to front. There are trail guides that include the paved sections of the trail, like the Mckinney Rubicon Trail Road which is the end point of the trail. If you include those it is about 22 miles long. But the actual technical section is only 12 miles long.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back