I feel like this little kid when it comes to explaining how we will need 13,018,022,473,988 MORE kWh IF all cars and trucks are EVs!

It does not matter WHEN it happens, it is bound to happen one day.
So is the end of the world. I’d take an even money bet on which happens first.

Until the transmission and distribution grids undergo basically a complete rebuild, nothing meaningful can happen towards getting us off major reliance on gas and nuclear generation.

So is the end of the world. I’d take an even money bet on which happens first.

Until the transmission and distribution grids undergo basically a complete rebuild, nothing meaningful can happen towards getting us off major reliance on gas and nuclear generation.
Go have your nightmares wherever you like. Such a negative mind, oh my !!!!

Believe what you will. Fossil oil will end at some point and then what?

That is what so many countries are preparing for, just as many are preparing to not depend on Russian oil.

It can be done, it will be done.

The Wright Brothers started small. Then flying grew and grew to what it was .

This is another step in the development of aviation.
It will get there.
ya, do you see their plane and the current plane? It is not apollo guidance computer Vs iPhone 14, it is abacus Vs 80486; Unless you believe nuclear energy is green energy, I don't believe solar is the answer.

Believe what you will. Fossil oil will end at some point and then what?
Yes, it WILL happen at some point. I don’t believe it will be in the next 50 years. Definitely not by 2050. I’m 48 now. In 2050 I would be 76. I’ll likely be dead before then. So this really isn’t a transition I’ll have to deal with in my lifetime. Except possibly via my job; and I doubt even in that venue.
That is what so many countries are preparing for, just as many are preparing to not depend on Russian oil.
They are blindly running off the cliff like lemmings. If the grid upgrades and sufficient, proven sustainable electric sources are not in place before they start really turning off the oil and nuclear generation sources, the results will be catastrophic.

Someday, I hope you will hear about Solar, Wind and other forms of energy which also be used to create electricity in order to light homes, make planes fly, and many other possibilities.
OH boy!!! And someday you may grow up to understand realities of economics! Really?
BUT I am sure you won't take time to follow the proof and financial analysis that oil has MORE to do with our civilization than just gas!
But I'm also sure YOU don't care! Facts? Mean nothing to people like you!
So will nuclear, wind,solar provide materials to make 2.7 billion tires as 7 gallons of oil is needed to make one tire!
.. Tires. A single tire uses 7 gallons of oil...2 billion tires a year use over 250 million barrels... where's the replacement?

kWhneeded4allvehicles.png

How about WIND TURBINES or SOLAR PANELS???
Windturbine4EVs.png

solarpanelsforEVs.png

HOW ABOUT NUCLEAR PLANTS???
Cost4EVsreplacegas093022.png

The Wright Brothers started small. Then flying grew and grew to what it was .

This is another step in the development of aviation.
It will get there.
Hey I don't doubt it... BUT in the meantime!!! Where if all current cars/trucks are EV is the 13 trillion ADDITIONAL kWh come from? And now you
want airplanes?... You just added another... electric planes.
Alice, the battery pack makes up 65% of the aircraft’s weight with 900 kWh. The electric motors produce 3×260 kW of power. This gives the Alice a service ceiling of 30,000 ft (9,144 m) and an approach landing speed of 100 knots.
With a maximum takeoff weight of 6,350 kg (about 14,000 lb), the Alice electric passenger aircraft should fly 650 miles (208 nm) cruising at about 240 knots (276 MPH),
So this means to fly 650 miles it requires 0.722 kWh to travel 1 mile.
Every day, FAA's Air Traffic Organization (ATO) provides service to more than 45,000 flights and 2.9 million airline passengers across more than 29 million square miles of airspace. https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/by_the_numbers
So in America every year if all the above planes were battery operated, there would be 764,760,450 kWh required in addition to the 13,018,022,473,988 additional hours for all cars and trucks or now nearly 14 trillion kWh MORE than what is currently produced by all utilities of less than the nearly 5 trillion kWh for all our businesses, home and others require today!

kWhneeded4allvehicles.png

Hey I don't doubt it... BUT in the meantime!!! Where if all current cars/trucks are EV is the 13 trillion ADDITIONAL kWh come from? And now you
Alice, the battery pack makes up 65% of the aircraft’s weight with 900 kWh. The electric motors produce 3×260 kW of power. This gives the Alice a service ceiling of 30,000 ft (9,144 m) and an approach landing speed of 100 knots.
With a maximum takeoff weight of 6,350 kg (about 14,000 lb), the Alice electric passenger aircraft should fly 650 miles (208 nm) cruising at about 240 knots (276 MPH),
Every day, FAA's Air Traffic Organization (ATO) provides service to more than 45,000 flights and 2.9 million airline passengers across more than 29 million square miles of airspace. https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/by_the_numbers
So in America every year if all the above planes were battery operated, there would be 764,760,450 kWh required in addition to the 13,018,022,473,988 additional hours for all cars and trucks or now nearly 14 trillion kWh MORE than what is currently produced by all utilities of less than the nearly 5 trillion kWh for all our businesses, home and others require today!

View attachment 707345
Very good but I think you are forgetting that these people are thinking that unicorns will fart magical faerie dust that will enable all the things they wish for to magically appear at no cost and with no limits or downside

View attachment 707345
Why not let time tell us, as I have said.
What is your problem with letting the future tell how humans are going to deal with it?

At some point fossil fuel will be gone. No more.

Let the time take its time. :)

What is your problem with letting the future tell how humans are going to deal with it?

Oh I agree! Which is what replaced horses with gas cars... time! NOT one federal mandate in place at that time. Let the market determine.
But when you are FORCING the issue, there are so many little details, like where are you going to get the material to make 2.7 billion tires that
7 gallons of oil does for each tire made. Or maybe the oil that is used to lubricate the wind turbines... all synthetic oil still has a residual of petroleum involved. YES I believe that at some point electric will replace the majority of transportation but to FORCE it with dumb ass comments like this:
"I guarantee We Are Going To Get Rid of Fossil Fuels”

Pure ignorance of the details and totally appealing to an even more ignorant group!
The real indicator of the ignorance of the group Biden was appealing to, is they almost NEVER supply and facts, links, substantiation such as this:
A partial list of items made from a barrel of oil... https://elsegundo.chevron.com/our-businesses/whats-in-a-barrel-of-oil
Here’s what just one barrel of crude oil can produce:
Enough liquefied gases (such as propane) to fill 12 small (14.1 ounce) cylinders for home, camping or workshop use.
Enough gasoline to drive a medium-sized car (17 miles per gallon) over 280 miles.
Asphalt to make about one gallon of tar for patching roofs or streets.
Lubricants to make about a quart of motor oil.
Enough distillate fuel to drive a large truck (five miles per gallon) for almost 40 miles. If jet fuel fraction is included, that same truck can run
nearly 50 miles.
Nearly 70 kilowatt hours of electricity at a power plant generated by residual fuel.
About four pounds of charcoal briquettes.
Wax for 170 birthday candles or 27 wax crayons.
There are enough petrochemicals left in that same barrel to provide the base for one of the following:
A petri dish (holds up to 2.5 ounces) with domestic crude oil being poured into it
39 polyester shirts
750 pocket combs
540 toothbrushes
65 plastic dustpans
23 hula hoops
65 plastic drinking cups
195 one-cup measuring cups
11 plastic telephone housings
135 four-inch rubber balls
The lighter materials in a barrel are used mainly for paint thinners and dry-cleaning solvents and they can make nearly a quart of one of these products.
The miscellaneous fraction of what is left still contains enough by-products to be used in medicinal oils, still gas, road oil and plant condensates –
a real industrial horn of plenty.
So again... what will replace the above items made from fossil fuels that Biden guarantees to "We Are Going To Get Rid of Fossil Fuels”

I agree with you LET time tell us! NOT Joe Biden guaranteeing to get rid of fossil fuels. That is totally stupid!
But you tell us how "time" will take care of the facts that fossil fuels aren't just for gas. That it just naive.
Tell me if time will come up with the FACT that 7 gallons of oil is used to make 1 tire. 2.7 billion tires take 300 million barrels per year.
And again unlike you I provide facts. How Oil Prices Impact Tire Pricing
But we aren't letting "time" tell us. We have Federal government/many state governments all pushing something that has YET to be proven,
i.e. Co2 emissions are bad! Proof? Well this whole article declares Co2 the bad guy ... for example:
When sunlight reaches Earth, the surface absorbs some of the light’s energy and reradiates it as infrared waves, which we feel as heat.
Carbon dioxide, for example, absorbs energy at a variety of wavelengths between 2,000 and 15,000 nanometers — a range that overlaps with that of infrared energy..https://news.climate.columbia.edu/2021/02/25/carbon-dioxide-cause-global-warming/
BUT no where in ANY of the substantive documents like the above recognize another factor in the heating of the earth.
This is a fact:
Overall, Earth's spin has slowed by about 6 hours in the past 2740 years, the team reports today in the Proceedings of the Royal Society A. That sounds like a lot, but it works out to the duration of a 24-hour day being lengthened by about 1.78 milliseconds over the course of a century.

Hmmm.. so earth rotation slows down means Sun shining more on earth keeping earth warmer and the oceans warmer which in turn causes
more Co2 to be released!
Warm oceans are less able to absorb CO2 than cold ones, so as the temperature rises,
the oceans release more CO2 into the atmosphere, which in turn causes the temperature to rise again.

But how many people like you have considered that as a major contribution to "global warming"???
For example, the glaciation of Earth (195,000–123,000 years ago) reduced humanity to a tiny population clinging to a coastline of South Africa (Marean 2010).

OH I don't disagree with your statement.."letting the future tell how humans are going to deal with it?" I agree let humans determine...NOT governments!... Just as the CEO of Chevron, a top 10 oil refinery company , said:
You’re looking at committing capital 10 years out, that will need decades to offer a return for shareholders, in a policy environment where governments around the world are saying, ‘We don’t want these products.’”
"where governments"! So yes let it be a market driven decision just as converting from horse and buggy to cars was a "market" driven NOT government edict as Biden has GUARANTEED!!!

Biden...I want you to look into my eyes, I guarantee We Are Going To Get Rid of Fossil Fuels

Totally shows Biden believes in a police state, i.e. the government makes ALL YOUR life decisions, you must DRIVE a EV or you won't drive!

I feel like this little kid when it comes to explaining how we will need 13,018,022,473,988 MORE kWh IF all cars and trucks are EVs!​

Before George W. Bush, Barack Obama and Donald Trump became presidents of the USA we knew here in Germany in public only one president of the USA: John F. Kennedy.

Here something what he said and what we Germans would call "typical US-American" (source: John F. Kennedy (JFK) Moon Speech Transcript: "We Choose to Go to the Moon")

John F. Kennedy: (00:04)
We meet in an hour of change and challenge, in a decade of hope and fear, in an age of both knowledge and ignorance. The greater our knowledge increases, the greater our ignorance unfolds. No man can fully grasp how far and how fast we have come. But condense, if you will, the 50,000 years of man’s recorded history in a time span of about a half a century. Stated in these terms, we know very little about the first 40 years, except at the end of them, advanced man had learned to use the skins of animals and cover them.

John F. Kennedy: (00:51)
Then about 10 years ago, under this standard, man emerged from his caves to construct other kinds of shelter. Only five years ago, man learned to write and use a car with wheels. Christianity began less than two years ago. The printing press came this year. And then less than two months ago, during this whole 50 year span of human history, the steam engine provided a new source of power. Newton explored the meaning of gravity. Last month, electric lights and telephones and automobiles and airplanes became available. Only last week, we developed penicillin and television and nuclear power. This is a breathtaking pace and such a pace cannot help but create new ails as it dispels old.

John F. Kennedy: (01:53)
So it is not surprising that some would have us stay where we are a little longer, to rest, to wait. If this capsuled history of our progress teaches us anything, it is that man in his quest for knowledge and progress is determined and cannot be deterred.

John F. Kennedy: (02:15)
We shall send to the moon 240,000 miles away, a giant rocket, more than 300 feet tall on an untried mission to an unknown celestial body, and then return it safely to Earth. But why some say the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask, why climb the highest mountain? Why 35 years ago fly the Atlantic? We choose to go to the moon. We chose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things not because they are easy, but because they are hard. Because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we’re willing to accept. One we are unwilling to postpone. And therefore, as we set sail, we ask God’s blessing on the most hazardous and dangerous and greatest adventure that man has ever gone.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a first step.

Laozi

Last edited:
Very good but I think you are forgetting that these people are thinking that unicorns will fart magical faerie dust that will enable all the things they wish for to magically appear at no cost and with no limits or downside
You are so on target! Right!!

There are still lots of people who believe that an electric car can be charged with solar panels on the roof of the car.

Even those who know better aren't attempting to correct them.

If more people realized just how inefficient electric cars are, we wouldn't even be discussing their widespread use.

They already exist. Keep up with the times.
You’re a fan of a bygone era that was a total contrivance to begin with and you ask others to keep up? You’re a retread.
Read this thread…

There are still lots of people who believe that an electric car can be charged with solar panels on the roof of the car.

Even those who know better aren't attempting to correct them.

If more people realized just how inefficient electric cars are, we wouldn't even be discussing their widespread use.

Produce electricity with solar panels (or more simple with solar heat) - transfer the electric energy which you do not need directly into hydrogen (loss ~50% what's quite okay instead to lose 100%). Then you can run electromotors with hydrogenium. And btw: Nothing becomes true because you or anyone else including me thinks something. We have to find the true ways and to realize them. To do nohing helps no one except your feeling to be a wise guy, wise guy.

Yes, it WILL happen at some point. I don’t believe it will be in the next 50 years. Definitely not by 2050. I’m 48 now. In 2050 I would be 76. I’ll likely be dead before then. So this really isn’t a transition I’ll have to deal with in my lifetime. Except possibly via my job; and I doubt even in that venue.

You are not happy to be born in paradise and to leave a hell behind you. And god is also not happy about his children who do so. It is absolutelly not any problem to think in thousands of years and to work as if to live forever and to love as if to die tomorrow.

They are blindly running off the cliff like lemmings.

By the way: That's a fake film! Lemmings don't do so.

If the grid upgrades and sufficient, proven sustainable electric sources are not in place before they start really turning off the oil and nuclear generation sources, the results will be catastrophic.

What a luck that everyone else is an idiot - this helps you not to have to start to think on your own.

It does not matter WHEN it happens, it is bound to happen one day.

STAY TUNED. !!!!
I could never quite figure out the glee the right wing (and others on the left) take when it comes to hoping that alternative forms of energy fail.

Its almost as if they think we have a truly endless supply of coal, oil, timber, etc...

Forum List

Back