Rivians’ Tires Are Wearing Out in as Little as 6,000 Miles. Here’s Why.

I've done Katemcy Rocks here in Texas and I could only run 50% of the obstacles.
The Rivian wouldnt do 10%

is there some rule that if you dont take all the hard obstacles you cant claim you took the trail??

this reminds me of when back in the early 90s I would chase a few friends of mine, one in a lifted chevy truck and the other in a lifted scout with my subaru hatchback,, they were always making fun of me cause I didnt go through the big holes,, but they could never get away from me or get me stuck,,

the chevy ended up blowing two 38" tires acting like a dumbass and the scout got fish in the cab and he sat beside it crying because he broke his toy,,,

big difference between traveling and playing,,

is there some rule that if you dont take all the hard obstacles you cant claim you took the trail??

this reminds me of when back in the early 90s I would chase a few friends of mine, one in a lifted chevy truck and the other in a lifted scout with my subaru hatchback,, they were always making fun of me cause I didnt go through the big holes,, but they could never get away from me or get me stuck,,

the chevy ended up blowing two 38" tires acting like a dumbass and the scout got fish in the cab and he sat beside it crying because he broke his toy,,,

It's about finishing the tough obstacles without breaking your shit.
And yes it's about running the toughest obstacles.
Just like anything else,as a guy you gotta best your buddies.

You might as well take a concrete road if you're gonna take the bypass.

It's about finishing the tough obstacles without breaking your shit.
And yes it's about running the toughest obstacles.
Just like anything else,as a guy you gotta best your buddies.
for some it is,, for me it was about the fun and money,, if it took every dime you have to build your toy its not easy if you break it where a tow job could cost thousands or not available,,

I drove a sidekick from KC to white water Co one time and took the uncompahgre plateau west of montrose,, 62 miles of mountain roads,, I took a detour down a fire road for about 8 miles and when the rocks started pushing up the floor boards I thought it best to turn around on the side of a mountain,, wasnt easy and if I broke something there wasnt help coming for days if at all,,

for some it is,, for me it was about the fun and money,, if it took every dime you have to build your toy its not easy if you break it where a tow job could cost thousands or not available,,

I drove a sidekick from KC to white water Co one time and took the uncompahgre plateau west of montrose,, 62 miles of mountain roads,, I took a detour down a fire road for about 8 miles and when the rocks started pushing up the floor boards I thought it best to turn around on the side of a mountain,, wasnt easy and if I broke something there wasnt help coming for days if at all,,

If you cant afford your hobby you should stop partaking in it.

I agree,if you're gonna take the easy way out you should stop trying to run the hard trails.
isnt that what they did??

no rule that says everyone has to take the hardest route,, more so when youre not driving a super modified truck designed for heavy offroad,,

I suppose it is possible the story is complete bullshit, no one knows for sure if the R1S made all of the Rubicon, half of the Rubicon, or none of it. I don't want to hear Rivian's take on it, I would want to see an independent and legitimate source. Was 4-Wheeler magazine watching this?

theres a difference between afford and destroying things that dont need destroyed,,

its called being smart about it,,

Thats true to a certain extent.
I stopped wheeling my daily driver because it sucked riding the motorcycle rain or shine to work.
I switched to a SXS so I could drag it on a trailer to take it home.

IMG_1980.jpeg

Thats true to a certain extent.
I stopped wheeling my daily driver because it sucked riding the motorcycle rain or shine to work.
I switched to a SXS so I could drag it on a trailer to take it home.

View attachment 815721
its all about the intent,, are you there with friends to ripsnort around and raise hell or just enjoy the scenery from the outback?? or like I did in the sidekick and was just traveling from one place to another on the roughest road I could handle,,
now my subaru I tore the shit out of and put it back together several times,, but all of it was less than ten miles from home,,
not all of us are made of money and do the best we can with what we have,,

I suppose it is possible the story is complete bullshit, no one knows for sure if the R1S made all of the Rubicon, half of the Rubicon, or none of it. I don't want to hear Rivian's take on it, I would want to see an independent and legitimate source. Was 4-Wheeler magazine watching this?

I did some searching and couldnt find anything on the Rivian running the Rubikon.

its all about the intent,, are you there with friends to ripsnort around and raise hell or just enjoy the scenery from the outback?? or like I did in the sidekick and was just traveling from one place to another on the roughest road I could handle,,
now my subaru I tore the shit out of and put it back together several times,, but all of it was less than ten miles from home,,
not all of us are made of money and do the best we can with what we have,,

I'm there to bash the shit out of what I brought.
If it ends up on the trailer so be it.

I did some searching and couldnt find anything on the Rivian running the Rubikon.

I could go on cause theres a long list of them

I could go on cause theres a long list of them
None of them seem to have been there. One link is from Rivian, one is a news station that have just reported what they've pulled off the wire, and the other two, Hot Cars and Motortrend, were clearly not there either.

Motortrend: Since you're probably dying to know if the Rivian um, died, on the trail—no, it apparently did not. Rivian reports that the R1S electric SUV entered the trail with about 80 percent charge and finished with under 10 percent, reportedly using about 75 percent of the total 135-kWh battery pack energy. Here's the kicker, though—it was only 12 miles long.

Hot Cars: According to Rivian, the stock R1S and its crew completed the Rubicon trail around 3:30 pm after beginning at 7:45 am on August 9th.

That article doesn't explain the type of wear the Rivian owners are having. Most likely it's Edge Wear. As for the Camber angle change, that would have to be excessive and constant. Within norms, Camber may dictate only 2% of tire wear. Now for Toe, that can account for excessive wear in a small amount of mileage driven. The Toe would have to be (I'm guessing) 1/4" plus in or out. It may also be caused by Toe Out On Turns because the centerline relation between the front and rear is offset.

I've never aligned a Rivian, so who knows. An inherent design flaw (geometry) coupled with overweight causes excess heat. That will wear a tire prematurely.

Forum List

Back