Rivians’ Tires Are Wearing Out in as Little as 6,000 Miles. Here’s Why.

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

For months now, Rivian owners have debated the cause of a common issue with their electric pickup trucks and SUVs: Rapid front tire wear. Some owners have reported their R1Ts and R1Ses are chewing through tires in as little as 6,000 miles, while other owners have pointed to the driver as being at fault. The complete answer is a bit more complicated, however, because some of the wear appears to be down to the truck's design—though, the owner plays a big role, too.

Tire wear has been the subject of discussion among Rivian owners since early 2022, mere months after the R1T's launch. The community was worried the truck's roughly 7,000-pound curb weight and extreme torque could cause rapid wear, despite Pirelli covering all of Rivian's OE tires for at least 50,000 miles. Still, their concerns have been substantiated by owners complaining of accelerated wear, and even having to replace tires much earlier than expected.

DSC_0651.jpeg

4-8 sets of tires in the same amount of time it takes me to go through one set. At least the EVs are better for the environment.....I mean EV's chewing through rubber tires is wicked green! Right? ;)

If I recall from Rivian’s press releases, if you don’t use the recommended tires, you lose range.
Any cargo? Lose range.
Wrong phase of the moon? Lose range.

Not ready for prime time? Certainly.

For months now, Rivian owners have debated the cause of a common issue with their electric pickup trucks and SUVs: Rapid front tire wear. Some owners have reported their R1Ts and R1Ses are chewing through tires in as little as 6,000 miles, while other owners have pointed to the driver as being at fault. The complete answer is a bit more complicated, however, because some of the wear appears to be down to the truck's design—though, the owner plays a big role, too.

Tire wear has been the subject of discussion among Rivian owners since early 2022, mere months after the R1T's launch. The community was worried the truck's roughly 7,000-pound curb weight and extreme torque could cause rapid wear, despite Pirelli covering all of Rivian's OE tires for at least 50,000 miles. Still, their concerns have been substantiated by owners complaining of accelerated wear, and even having to replace tires much earlier than expected.

DSC_0651.jpeg

4-8 sets of tires in the same amount of time it takes me to go through one set. At least the EVs are better for the environment.....I mean EV's chewing through rubber tires is wicked green! Right? ;)

If I recall from Rivian’s press releases, if you don’t use the recommended tires, you lose range.
Any cargo? Lose range.
Wrong phase of the moon? Lose range.

Not ready for prime time? Certainly.
all next gen tech isnt ready for prime time when it first comes out,,

At around 80K average it fucking well better be. Their tested example was 94K.
the first cell phones costs thousands and could barely call across town,,

other than the model T the first cars cost far outside of the average persons reach and they were very limited and came with extra parts to rebuild the engine on the side of the road,, and they are to this day still working on infrastructure,,

the first cell phones costs thousands and could barely call across town,,

other than the model T the first cars cost far outside of the average persons reach and they were very limited and came with extra parts to rebuild the engine on the side of the road,, and they are to this day still working on infrastructure,,
Yep and the average person with rudimentary skills could get them going. Try that with a EV.
I guess you never owned a WW-2 era Jeep either. ;)

Yep and the average person with rudimentary skills could get them going. Try that with a EV.
I guess you never owned a WW-2 era Jeep either. ;)
a very few people in 1910 knew much about the internal combustion engines since it was new tech,,

and the modern EV is more comparable to computers and cell phones,,

some old people still cant figure them out,,

I know a few people building these things, they put in some crazy hours, and have been for the past 2.5 years, as they work tons of OT to try and meet their deliveries. I saw one in Estes Park last week and a friend in N.C. says he sees a lot of them around Chapel Hill.

I think they are beautiful, and any start-up will have some bugs.

IMG_1963.jpeg

IMG_1962.jpeg

suck is a matter of perspective,, our last set of 10 ply got 60K miles on them and the ones before that got 80K
The perspective is aging.

If you drive a good deal...you won't notice as much.

We live about 2.5 miles from everything.

Our tires wear out with minimal miles just sitting there.

Because new tire compounds (especially from China) are softer, they check and dry rot much more quickly than older American tires.

and the modern EV is more comparable to computers and cell phones

The problem with that comparison is ...

... cell phones and computers provided functions, even in their embryonic states, that previous technology couldn't provide. A Motorola Brick could make phone calls without a land line and an Apple II could to spreadsheets.

A current EV provides NO function that a current ICE vehicle can't provide.

They can't go as far, they take much longer to refuel, they cost more to repair, and will only last on the road a fraction of the years a well maintained ICE vehicle will.

The only thing they currently provide is novelty... a function you could easily get from riding a camel.

The problem with that comparison is ...

... cell phones and computers provided functions, even in their embryonic states, that previous technology couldn't provide. A Motorola Brick could make phone calls without a land line and an Apple II could to spreadsheets.

A current EV provides NO function that a current ICE vehicle can't provide.

They can't go as far, they take much longer to refuel, they cost more to repair, and will only last on the road a fraction of the years a well maintained ICE vehicle will.

The only thing they currently provide is novelty... a function you could easily get from riding a camel.
youre partially correct,, my comment was mainly talking about infrastructure build up and development of new tech not function itself,,,

when your commute and daily use is a few miles the long range doesnt mean much,,

and as I said if you already had a solar system,, using it to charge is just free transportation minus the cost of the car that you would have either way,,

I have an example.

This is a tire from the Buick that I changed out about three months ago.

Plenty of tread...sidewall dry rotted...couldn't trust it anymore.

IMG_20230812_165212952.jpg

IMG_20230812_165309754.jpg

IMG_20230812_165257953~2.jpg

I've been working on cars for 35 years.

Never had this problem until recently.

Used to be you could buy used tires.

Not anymore.

Forum List

Back