Respect and submission, are they the same?

I don't think it's okay just because everyone is doing it...I just don't see a whole lot that CAN be done about it. We don't elect our politicians, other people BUY them for us...

I'm not bought. Are you bought? While money and fear can have a lot of influence on people, those same people ultimately make their own decisions. Most people are pretty sensible. We shouldn't let ourselves fall into the trap of believing the idiots we see on television constitute a majority of our fellow Americans. Television both provides entertainment and is a business. What passes for "news" these days is often what is ever most controversial since controversy sells. Which show is more likely to gain higher ratings? A 30 minute special about high school kids helping feed the homeless in Topeka or a teenage gang in a Detroit shithole neighborhood?

Same goes in politics. Those who make money in television make more money showing the nutjobs and controversy rather than the thousands of government workers, including politicians, who are quietly working hard to make our country better.

Just like Jay Leno's old bit call "Jaywalking" where they ask "the man on the street" questions, we shouldn't be fooled into thinking many people are this dumb. They may ask a hundred people these questions, but only show the 1 or 2 truly funny, but completely ignorant, responses.

The Best Of Jaywalking - Final Jay Leno Tonight Show | Daily Video Blog - Videolicious.tv

The bottom line is that most people aren't bought and they aren't stupid.

I dont want my president to have ANYONE I didnt have a chance to vote for telling them what to do.

If she doesnt know the differance between being respectful and Obeying then maybe she wont RESPECT what the American people send her to do.

do you vote for the Presidents Cabinet?......

I dont want my president to have ANYONE I didnt have a chance to vote for telling them what to do.

If she doesnt know the differance between being respectful and Obeying then maybe she wont RESPECT what the American people send her to do.

Good point, but we vote for the President and let him/her pick the Cabinet based on their own judgment. If a Presidential candidate said, "I submit to the board of directors at Exxon. Please vote for me", would you?

There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they
can't get away.

It's not a fine line at all.

You can tell how much you're cuddling with someone by the degree to which they cuddle back. ;)

Joe...you sound as if you have some experience in this area....

...she chewed through the ropes?

Are you one of those guys who always cry after sex....'cause Mace does that....

When girls don't want to cuddle back, I calmly walk away. There were plenty of girls who wanted to cuddle when I met and married my favorite, and I never saw the need for or had an understanding of 'forced cuddling'.... I can't relate to it as a turn on. :dunno:

In this context, submission does not mean rolling over and doing whatever the husband commands his wife to do. There are caveats that require the husband perform duties to his wife also.

I could post link after link, copy and paste, even from "Bible For Dummies" book that could simplify this for many, but I think I would be wasting my time.

If one truly wants to understand what Bachmann meant, they need to read beyond Ephesians 5:22

Disclaiimer: I am not a bible thumper, or a 'right wing loon'.
However, I do do my research before I post.

Really? Then why did she tell the story about not wanting to be a lawyer, but when her husband told her to, she "submitted" to him and did something she didn't want to do?

Michelle Bachmann was asked a question at the debates.............

Out of all the things the President of the United States should be, it would seem absurd to think of that person as submissive. As the most powerful person in the country, the president must exude force, show self-confidence and be aggressive.
But be submissive?

At Thursday’s GOP Presidential debate, many believed Michele Bachmann’s answer regarding the question of submitting to her husband as showing weakness. Many critics questioned her perspective on leadership and authority.
Yet the idea of submission turns out to be central to what the President of the United States must do in order to lead our country.

Bachmann answered by saying submission equals respect. “I respect my husband,” she responded. “He’s a wonderful godly man. We respect each other and we love each other.”
The words respect and love would not be found as synonyms for submission in any thesaurus. Submission is often used as a negative connotation dealing with slavery, abuse or manipulation. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines submission as “an act of submitting to the authority or control of another.”

It appears that submission lacks freedom.

Bachmann’s belief of submission differs from what has been ingrained in today’s culture. How could it be that submission equals respect or even love?

Read more: Garrett Kling Op-Ed: Give Me a Submissive President in 2012 - Op-Ed - Fox Nation
Garrett Kling Op-Ed: Give Me a Submissive President in 2012 - Op-Ed - Fox Nation

Now......let's look at what Dictionary.com has to say...........

re·spect   /rɪˈspɛkt/ Show Spelled[ri-spekt] Show IPA
noun
1. a particular, detail, or point (usually preceded by in ): to differ in some respect.
2. relation or reference: inquiries with respect to a route.
3. esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability: I have great respect for her judgment.
4. deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment: respect for a suspect's right to counsel; to show respect for the flag; respect for the elderly.
5. the condition of being esteemed or honored: to be held in respect.
sub·mit   /səbˈmɪt/ Show Spelled [suhb-mit] Show IPA verb, -mit·ted, -mit·ting.
verb (used with object)
1. to give over or yield to the power or authority of another (often used reflexively).
2. to subject to some kind of treatment or influence.
3. to present for the approval, consideration, or decision of another or others: to submit a plan; to submit an application.
4. to state or urge with deference; suggest or propose (usually followed by a clause): I submit that full proof should be required.
Now...........not for nothing, but if Bachmann has repeatedly stated that a woman is to submit to her husband (according to her beliefs in the Bible), shouldn't we be electing her husband to be president rather than his wife?

I mean..........he's the ultimate "head" of the woman, according to her. Do we really want that in a president?

You were in the Navy, you know exactly what it means to submit yourself to another person. Can you explain the difference between respecting a superior and submitting to him in the military chain of command? Can you do it in a way that does not render the dictionary definitions of the words completely wrong, yet totally agree with them in all points?

Good point, but we vote for the President and let him/her pick the Cabinet based on their own judgment. If a Presidential candidate said, "I submit to the board of directors at Exxon. Please vote for me", would you?
thats not the point of this though......Truth is saying....."I dont want my president to have ANYONE I didnt have a chance to vote for telling them what to do.".......does not his Cabinet fit in here?.....these guys are maybe very influential in steering his decisions....you do not get to vote for them.....thats the point being made.....

Bachmann had a perfect opportunity to state that the Biblical mandate of a wife to submit to her husband only applies to personal family matters and would not apply to her decisions as President.

She did not.

This clearly implies that ultimately she would feel obligated to allow her husband to make the final decisions as President. There is no doubt that at some time during her Presidency, the two of them would strongly disagree on at least one issue - if not many - and that she would be obligated to submit to her husband's position.

At the next Repug debate, we should require that her husband be present so as to hear his views!

Bachmann had a perfect opportunity to state that the Biblical mandate of a wife to submit to her husband only applies to personal family matters and would not apply to her decisions as President.

She did not.

This clearly implies that ultimately she would feel obligated to allow her husband to make the final decisions as President. There is no doubt that at some time during her Presidency, the two of them would strongly disagree on at least one issue - if not many - and that she would be obligated to submit to her husband's position.

At the next Repug debate, we should require that her husband be present so as to hear his views!

I see, when she stated that she would be the one making the decisions in the White House she actually said that she will let her husband make all the decisions and everyone in the world hear her wrong.

Got it.

She did not.

:cuckoo:

Out of all the things the President of the United States should be, it would seem absurd to think of that person as submissive. As the most powerful person in the country, the president must exude force, show self-confidence and be aggressive.
But be submissive?

At Thursday’s GOP Presidential debate, many believed Michele Bachmann’s answer regarding the question of submitting to her husband as showing weakness. Many critics questioned her perspective on leadership and authority.
Yet the idea of submission turns out to be central to what the President of the United States must do in order to lead our country.

Bachmann answered by saying submission equals respect. “I respect my husband,” she responded. “He’s a wonderful godly man. We respect each other and we love each other.”
The words respect and love would not be found as synonyms for submission in any thesaurus. Submission is often used as a negative connotation dealing with slavery, abuse or manipulation. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines submission as “an act of submitting to the authority or control of another.”

Bachmann’s belief of submission differs from what has been ingrained in today’s culture. How could it be that submission equals respect or even love?

Read more: Garrett Kling Op-Ed: Give Me a Submissive President in 2012 - Op-Ed - Fox Nation

Garrett Kling Op-Ed: Give Me a Submissive President in 2012 - Op-Ed - Fox Nation

re·spect   /rɪˈspɛkt/ Show Spelled[ri-spekt] Show IPA
noun
1. a particular, detail, or point (usually preceded by in ): to differ in some respect.
2. relation or reference: inquiries with respect to a route.
3. esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability: I have great respect for her judgment.
4. deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment: respect for a suspect's right to counsel; to show respect for the flag; respect for the elderly.
5. the condition of being esteemed or honored: to be held in respect.

verb (used with object)
1. to give over or yield to the power or authority of another (often used reflexively).
3. to present for the approval, consideration, or decision of another or others: to submit a plan; to submit an application.
4. to state or urge with deference; suggest or propose (usually followed by a clause): I submit that full proof should be required.

Now...........not for nothing, but if Bachmann has repeatedly stated that a woman is to submit to her husband (according to her beliefs in the Bible), shouldn't we be electing her husband to be president rather than his wife?

I mean..........he's the ultimate "head" of the woman, according to her. Do we really want that in a president?
Lunacy. Could it be that Her husband is a partner with her and garnered Respect? Each unto the other?

But Ill bet your one of these creeps that is afraid of women that would keep them barefoot and pregnant and bringing your beer to you. Chauvinist pig afraid of strong women...whod'a thunk it?

I'm not understanding the outrage here, frankly. Because Bachmann had repeatedly said in her presidential campaign speeches that she believes women should be submissive to their husbands, people have a perfect right to question her further on that.

When Obama ran in 2008, he told an enraptured nation that Rev. Wright was like a father to him, and in his book he said that Rev. Wright was the most influential person in his life. Well, folks turned around and took a hard look at the most influential person in this would-be president's life and discovered a controversial, anti-white viewpoint permeating the good reverend's sermons.

Did people have a right to question Obama to see if he shared the beliefs of the most influential man in his life? You bet they did. I, for one, wanted to know the answer to that question... a question which Obama also dodged. So I didn't vote for him. (Didn't vote for McCain either.)

Bachmann is a public figure asking for the most important job in the land. If she cannot stand behind the beliefs that she is campaigning on when asked a direct question, then I can't blame people for questioning her veracity.

I seriously don't see what all the hubbub is about. :dunno:

What is wrong with a woman wanting to please her husband?

If I was married I would want to please my wife.

How can one love another without wanting the other to be happy?

Nothing at all. Her choice. However, there's a lot wrong with a President doing it. The President, regardless of gender, race or any other personal factor, should always put the nation first. To do less violates their oath of office.

The oath of office of the President of the United States is an oath or affirmation required by the United States Constitution before the President begins the execution of the office. The wording is specified in Article Two, Section One, Clause Eight:

“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

Nothing at all. Her choice. However, there's a lot wrong with a President doing it. The President, regardless of gender, race or any other personal factor, should always put the nation first. To do less violates their oath of office.

The oath of office of the President of the United States is an oath or affirmation required by the United States Constitution before the President begins the execution of the office. The wording is specified in Article Two, Section One, Clause Eight:

“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

I don't see anything in there about putting the country above their family. I would personally vote against anyone who said that the country would come before their family, and would do my best to make sure anyone that ran against them would win the election. I see no reason to trust anyone that does not put their family first.

Respect is what Republicans don't have for education, Middle Class Americans or the President.

Submission?

Well,
fsehorse.jpg

which one is you Dean?.....its gotta be the guy in front.....otherwise you look like a fat chick....

I'm not a Republican. I don't play that game.

GOP Committee Investigating $2K Trip to Topless Bondage-Themed Club - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Federal Election Commission filings show that the Republican National Committee in February spent about $1,946 at Voyeur West Hollywood, the Daily Caller first reported, describing the location as a "bondage-themed nightclub featuring topless women dancers imitating lesbian sex."

you gotta be a Republican?......

But be submissive?

verb (used with object)

You were in the Navy, you know exactly what it means to submit yourself to another person. Can you explain the difference between respecting a superior and submitting to him in the military chain of command? Can you do it in a way that does not render the dictionary definitions of the words completely wrong, yet totally agree with them in all points?

Actually, no. I don't know what it means to submit to another person. I do however know that I'm supposed to support and defend the Constitution of the United States and to obey all LAWFUL orders given to me by those of higher rank.

If I was submissive, I wouldn't defy an unlawful order.

Try again.

Forum List

Back