Repubs Propose $2.5 TRILLION Cuts..

This is the list.

Corporation for Public Broadcasting Subsidy. $445 million annual savings.

Save America's Treasures Program. $25 million annual savings.

International Fund for Ireland. $17 million annual savings.

Legal Services Corporation. $420 million annual savings.

National Endowment for the Arts. $167.5 million annual savings.

National Endowment for the Humanities. $167.5 million annual savings.

Hope VI Program. $250 million annual savings.

Amtrak Subsidies. $1.565 billion annual savings.

Eliminate duplicative education programs. H.R. 2274 (in last Congress), authored by Rep. McKeon, eliminates 68 at a savings of $1.3 billion annually.

U.S. Trade Development Agency. $55 million annual savings.

Woodrow Wilson Center Subsidy. $20 million annual savings.

Cut in half funding for congressional printing and binding. $47 million annual savings.

John C. Stennis Center Subsidy. $430,000 annual savings.

Community Development Fund. $4.5 billion annual savings.

Heritage Area Grants and Statutory Aid. $24 million annual savings.

Cut Federal Travel Budget in Half. $7.5 billion annual savings.

Trim Federal Vehicle Budget by 20%. $600 million annual savings.

Essential Air Service. $150 million annual savings.

Technology Innovation Program. $70 million annual savings.

Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) Program. $125 million annual savings.

Department of Energy Grants to States for Weatherization. $530 million annual savings.

Beach Replenishment. $95 million annual savings.

New Starts Transit. $2 billion annual savings.

Exchange Programs for Alaska, Natives Native Hawaiians, and Their Historical Trading Partners in Massachusetts. $9 million annual savings.

Intercity and High Speed Rail Grants. $2.5 billion annual savings.

Title X Family Planning. $318 million annual savings.

Appalachian Regional Commission. $76 million annual savings.

Economic Development Administration. $293 million annual savings.

Programs under the National and Community Services Act. $1.15 billion annual savings.

Applied Research at Department of Energy. $1.27 billion annual savings.

FreedomCAR and Fuel Partnership. $200 million annual savings.

Energy Star Program. $52 million annual savings.

Economic Assistance to Egypt. $250 million annually.

U.S. Agency for International Development. $1.39 billion annual savings.

General Assistance to District of Columbia. $210 million annual savings.

Subsidy for Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. $150 million annual savings.

Presidential Campaign Fund. $775 million savings over ten years.

No funding for federal office space acquisition. $864 million annual savings.

End prohibitions on competitive sourcing of government services.

Repeal the Davis-Bacon Act. More than $1 billion annually.

IRS Direct Deposit: Require the IRS to deposit fees for some services it offers (such as processing payment plans for taxpayers) to the Treasury, instead of allowing it to remain as part of its budget. $1.8 billion savings over ten years.

Require collection of unpaid taxes by federal employees. $1 billion total savings.

Prohibit taxpayer funded union activities by federal employees. $1.2 billion savings over ten years.

Sell excess federal properties the government does not make use of. $15 billion total savings.

Eliminate death gratuity for Members of Congress.

Eliminate Mohair Subsidies. $1 million annual savings.

Eliminate taxpayer subsidies to the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. $12.5 million annual savings.

Eliminate Market Access Program. $200 million annual savings.

USDA Sugar Program. $14 million annual savings.

Subsidy to Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). $93 million annual savings.

Eliminate the National Organic Certification Cost-Share Program. $56.2 million annual savings.

Eliminate fund for Obamacare administrative costs. $900 million savings.

Ready to Learn TV Program. $27 million savings.

HUD Ph.D. Program.

Deficit Reduction Check-Off Act.

TOTAL SAVINGS: $2.5 Trillion over Ten Years

That's some serious shit right there!

I wonder if they'll have the backbone to do it? Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen.

I wonder how many jobs that will cost....

Government jobs don't add value to the economy. They drain money from it. Economics 101.

Also how many private sector jobs that DO add value to the economy would be created when $2.5 trillion is left with Americans who save, invest, plan, and manufacture and/or buy and sell products and services?

The amount of military spending is appropriate for a country the size and with the needs the US has and is well under historical norms.

For FY 2010, Department of Defense spending amounts to 4.7% of GDP.[26] Because the U.S. GDP has risen over time, the military budget can rise in absolute terms while shrinking as a percentage of the GDP. For example, the Department of Defense budget is slated to be $664 billion in 2010 (including the cost of operations in Iraq and Afghanistan previously funded through supplementary budget legislation[27][28]), higher than at any other point in American history, but still 1.1–1.4% lower as a percentage of GDP than the amount spent on defense during the peak of Cold-War military spending in the late 1980s

Military budget of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In my opinion it is appropriate to spend less than 5% of GDP on Defense. It would be malfeasance to spend less than 3.5%. Under certain conditions it would be appropriate to spend slightly more than 5%, but that should be rare, well debated and paid for.
Could start handing out bills to Germany, Japan, South Korea, NATO and the rest of the world's military moochers for the costs of America defending their dirt, though.

Lest we get started on Israel's military moochery.

The Conservative Group's Plan is not GOP, officially. These are all pet projects, the elected officials are supposed to drop(?)!

The Obama Deficit Reduction plan sets targets, confronts the bloated, wasteful, military budget, and addresses Social Security Reform.

The Obama Liberals came up with a first step toward Social Security Reform already. The Payroll Tax is now in the less regressive direction. Soon, it can be in the more progressive direction.

Obama debt commission plan: Top recommendations - Dec. 3, 2010

"Crow, James Crow: Shaken, Not Stirred!"
(When businesses get around to expanding--currently terrified of what happened when the GOP was last in charge--then unemployment is likely to drop, and even black teens will not be on the unemployement rolls. There will be more spending money, in those neighborhoods, and on and on. The regular GOP still has to get on board with something other than the TeaBerserker Express, roaming in the supermarkets, hunting for Delaware witches to shoot, so there will be blood to mix in the Matzoh, and sprinkle on the Lox and Bagels: According to their top people(?)!)

The Conservative Group's Plan is not GOP, officially. These are all pet projects, the elected officials are supposed to drop(?)!

The Obama Deficit Reduction plan sets targets, confronts the bloated, wasteful, military budget, and addresses Social Security Reform.

The Obama Liberals came up with a first step toward Social Security Reform already. The Payroll Tax is now in the less regressive direction. Soon, it can be in the more progressive direction.

Obama debt commission plan: Top recommendations - Dec. 3, 2010

"Crow, James Crow: Shaken, Not Stirred!"
(When businesses get around to expanding--currently terrified of what happened when the GOP was last in charge--then unemployment is likely to drop, and even black teens will not be on the unemployement rolls. There will be more spending money, in those neighborhoods, and on and on. The regular GOP still has to get on board with something other than the TeaBerserker Express, roaming in the supermarkets, hunting for Delaware witches to shoot, so there will be blood to mix in the Matzoh, and sprinkle on the Lox and Bagels: According to their top people(?)!)

Rein in spending: The report proposes close to $200 billion in domestic and defense spending cuts in 2015.
From your link.
Do you know where much of this is supposed to come from? They are talking about Military retirees who are over 65, on medicare with tricare as a secondary. they want us to start paying the first $500 in costs and 50% of the next $5000. Annually.

Fuck that.

I've got an easier cut...
Why make cuts that assist millions of Americans?
Cut Afghanistan and Iraq and you will save $2.5 trillion in ten years
Do both and save $5 tril....Deal?
This.
Sad that WR found a way to attack Reps over the wars but makes no mention of the last 4 years od Dems expanding the wars.
Here, I'll spell it out for RW'er... You can't sit back and say Conservatives are pro war just because Bush (who most conservatives don't like) pushed the country into war. All the while claiming Dems are anti war while they expanded them... Also, most people regardless of part supported Bush going into Iraq, liberals and conservatives in and out of congress... Look up the votes of the Dems in office at the time.

I didn't blame either side...I just said get the fuck out

How do we justify $2.5 trillion cuts in programs that help Americans while we spend the same amount to support America hating countries?

This is the list.

Corporation for Public Broadcasting Subsidy. $445 million annual savings.

Save America's Treasures Program. $25 million annual savings.

International Fund for Ireland. $17 million annual savings.

Legal Services Corporation. $420 million annual savings.

National Endowment for the Arts. $167.5 million annual savings.

National Endowment for the Humanities. $167.5 million annual savings.

Hope VI Program. $250 million annual savings.

Amtrak Subsidies. $1.565 billion annual savings.

Eliminate duplicative education programs. H.R. 2274 (in last Congress), authored by Rep. McKeon, eliminates 68 at a savings of $1.3 billion annually.

U.S. Trade Development Agency. $55 million annual savings.

Woodrow Wilson Center Subsidy. $20 million annual savings.

Cut in half funding for congressional printing and binding. $47 million annual savings.

John C. Stennis Center Subsidy. $430,000 annual savings.

Community Development Fund. $4.5 billion annual savings.

Heritage Area Grants and Statutory Aid. $24 million annual savings.

Cut Federal Travel Budget in Half. $7.5 billion annual savings.

Trim Federal Vehicle Budget by 20%. $600 million annual savings.

Essential Air Service. $150 million annual savings.

Technology Innovation Program. $70 million annual savings.

Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) Program. $125 million annual savings.

Department of Energy Grants to States for Weatherization. $530 million annual savings.

Beach Replenishment. $95 million annual savings.

New Starts Transit. $2 billion annual savings.

Exchange Programs for Alaska, Natives Native Hawaiians, and Their Historical Trading Partners in Massachusetts. $9 million annual savings.

Intercity and High Speed Rail Grants. $2.5 billion annual savings.

Title X Family Planning. $318 million annual savings.

Appalachian Regional Commission. $76 million annual savings.

Economic Development Administration. $293 million annual savings.

Programs under the National and Community Services Act. $1.15 billion annual savings.

Applied Research at Department of Energy. $1.27 billion annual savings.

FreedomCAR and Fuel Partnership. $200 million annual savings.

Energy Star Program. $52 million annual savings.

Economic Assistance to Egypt. $250 million annually.

U.S. Agency for International Development. $1.39 billion annual savings.

General Assistance to District of Columbia. $210 million annual savings.

Subsidy for Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. $150 million annual savings.

Presidential Campaign Fund. $775 million savings over ten years.

No funding for federal office space acquisition. $864 million annual savings.

End prohibitions on competitive sourcing of government services.

Repeal the Davis-Bacon Act. More than $1 billion annually.

IRS Direct Deposit: Require the IRS to deposit fees for some services it offers (such as processing payment plans for taxpayers) to the Treasury, instead of allowing it to remain as part of its budget. $1.8 billion savings over ten years.

Require collection of unpaid taxes by federal employees. $1 billion total savings.

Prohibit taxpayer funded union activities by federal employees. $1.2 billion savings over ten years.

Sell excess federal properties the government does not make use of. $15 billion total savings.

Eliminate death gratuity for Members of Congress.

Eliminate Mohair Subsidies. $1 million annual savings.

Eliminate taxpayer subsidies to the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. $12.5 million annual savings.

Eliminate Market Access Program. $200 million annual savings.

USDA Sugar Program. $14 million annual savings.

Subsidy to Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). $93 million annual savings.

Eliminate the National Organic Certification Cost-Share Program. $56.2 million annual savings.

Eliminate fund for Obamacare administrative costs. $900 million savings.

Ready to Learn TV Program. $27 million savings.

HUD Ph.D. Program.

Deficit Reduction Check-Off Act.

TOTAL SAVINGS: $2.5 Trillion over Ten Years

That's some serious shit right there!

I wonder if they'll have the backbone to do it? Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen.

I wonder how many jobs that will cost....

Government jobs don't add value to the economy. They drain money from it. Economics 101.

Bullshit! No matter where the money comes from it money into the economy.
Building roads adds no money into the economy?
Building arms and ships, planes adds no money into the economy? Ask Lockheed, Boeing, etc.

I don't want to cut any programs that help Americans either. I just want to cut the programs that encourage Americans to be dependent, irresponsible, foolish, or speculative from an early age rather than programs that encourage values and a culture in which people consider it an honor and responsibility to become independent, self reliant,a positive in their society, and prosper.

I think we should all be applauding them for proposing any cuts at this point. They're finally headed in the right direction. I have to be content with this new direction. It really is a start. The Democrats are going to do everything in their power to stop the Republicans from making any real cuts. They're going to paint them as "Evil Ogres" & "Nazis" to their Welfare entitlement sheep. And of course their Welfare sheep are going to eat that shit up. So cutting anything is going to be an incredibly difficult challenge. We'll just have to take what we can get at this point. It wont be exactly what we want but it is something. I applaud the Republicans for at least accepting reality and trying to do something. I really do hope they're successful.

Unfortunately, Im not sure I can do that. Dont get me wrong, Im glad they are doing something. But $2.5 Trillion over 10 years is a drop in the bucket to this governments spending.

And I am curious if they are using real math or Washington Math. Where cuts are really just slower increases. Cause it sure sounds like it that's what it might be.

It's a shame a city so corrupt is named after such a good and honorable man.

I don't want to cut any programs that help Americans either. I just want to cut the programs that encourage Americans to be dependent, irresponsible, foolish, or speculative from an early age rather than programs that encourage values and a culture in which people consider it an honor and responsibility to become independent, self reliant,a positive in their society, and prosper.

Yes if congress and the people could just agree on what those things are....

Do both and save $5 tril....Deal?
This.
Sad that WR found a way to attack Reps over the wars but makes no mention of the last 4 years od Dems expanding the wars.
Here, I'll spell it out for RW'er... You can't sit back and say Conservatives are pro war just because Bush (who most conservatives don't like) pushed the country into war. All the while claiming Dems are anti war while they expanded them... Also, most people regardless of part supported Bush going into Iraq, liberals and conservatives in and out of congress... Look up the votes of the Dems in office at the time.

I didn't blame either side...I just said get the fuck out

How do we justify $2.5 trillion cuts in programs that help Americans while we spend the same amount to support America hating countries?

We don't. We cut both. Then there is no dilemna.

How do we justify spending Trillions of dollars we don't have while pretending that cutting alittle of our spending back over the span of 10 years is just too difficult to accomplish?

Yes if congress and the people could just agree on what those things are....

There is a simple way to start:

Spending on programs not authorized by the Constitution should be cut. Anything cut should be left to the state's perogative.

Cut the spending and shift the responsibility from Washington to individuals and local govenments and you will see money being spent far more efficiently. You will see it wasted much less. And you will be able to see people support themselves far better.

Over ten years. That's chump change compared to the last two years of democrat spending like a community activist with a stolen ATM card.

what's more, the "spending reduction act of 2011" proposed by members of the conservative republican study committee, chaired by ohio rep. Jim jordan, would reduce current spending for non-defense, non-homeland security and non-veterans programs to 2008 levels, eliminate federal control of fannie mae and freddie mac, cut the federal workforce by 15 percent through attrition, and cut some $80 billion by blocking implementation of obamacare. [see a slide show of the top congressional travel destinations.]

fail

And yet it's still far superior to anything you've proposed

Ohh 2.5 trilliion cut in PROJECTED spending over the next 10 years?

Yep what I figured.

Which is, of course, the main problem here.

It's exactly like that 10 year PROJECTED surplus that never really existed back during the 2000 campaign.

Ohh 2.5 trilliion cut in PROJECTED spending over the next 10 years?

Yep what I figured.

Which is, of course, the main problem here.

It's exactly like that 10 year PROJECTED surplus that never really existed back during the 2000 campaign.

And which party controlled both houses and the presidency after 2000 to 2006?

BOTH parties suck at overspending. the dems just do not keep promising it all the time and failing to deliver thru the last 3 presidents. and 6 years of total control.

We need to cut spending NOW, not fictional projected spending while spending more on other things during the next 10 years.

this is just politics as usual and many keep falling for it time after time.

What about bringing back Paygo? for real this time.
It seemed to work pretty well last time, but was abandoned when Bush and the repubs got into power.

Last edited:
Could still be a drop in the bucket but it is a start. So i have to applaud them for their efforts.

If they cut 2.5 annually from the Budget, I believe we would be running a surplus.

Drop in the Bucket?

Yes, that's tre, But they are planning to cut 2.5 Trillion over 10 years. not each year for 10 years.

Forum List

Back