Repubs Propose $2.5 TRILLION Cuts..

Legal Services Corporation-is a program to help the poor and primarily women (three out of four of their client base) with legal issues.

Then there's the cutting of beneficial infrastructure programs such as transit systems for the metropolitan areas, which puts more pressure on the US's already crumbling infrastructure. My what brilliant thinking!

I'm not in favor of making such cuts.

But I am eliminating Medicare Part D which is basically corporate welfare for the pharma industry.

As a former pro bono attorney for legal services (yes, that means I worked for free), I know the valuable work they do. I'm not sure about your stats for women, I'd have to think about that. I'm not sure it makes a difference what the sex of your indigent client is though, does it? It still needs cutting. We can't afford it. If we cut all that's in there, it still isn't enough. We won't even balance the budget with those cuts.

As a daily rider of WMATA Metro, I'm not thrilled about what cutting federal subsidies to the system will mean to me personally. But, we can't afford to pay for it. So, VA, DC and MD are going to have to come up with more money to pay for it. I'm not thrilled that one of the line items in there is cutting funding for providing Metro service to Dulles airport, a project that is already well underway, but WE CAN'T AFFORD IT!

Somebody's ox is always going to be gored. The fact of the matter is we built a government we can't pay for and now we need to remake a government we CAN pay for.

Legal Services Corporation-is a program to help the poor and primarily women (three out of four of their client base) with legal issues. Local problem.
Local problem? Explain.

Then there's the cutting of beneficial infrastructure programs such as transit systems for the metropolitan areas, which puts more pressure on the USC's already crumbling infrastructure. My what brilliant thinking! That money belongs in the highway trust fund for road and bridge construction/repair, not for funding money-sucking urban mass transit scams, which are also a local issue.
Mass transit is part of our infrastructure and good transit systems keep businesses in the US. Many international corporations look at the US as falling behind the rest of the world as we let our infrastructure and mass transit systems deteriorate.I'm not in favor of making such cuts. Surprise, surprise.

But I am eliminating Medicare Part D which is basically corporate welfare for the pharma industry. One out of four ain't much, but it's a start.
Try one out of three that you disagree with.

Last edited:
...in spending.

Read it and weep, Dimocrats.. You're being set up. Republicans got elected in November because you nitwits spent gobs of money we don't have and the public didn't want you to. Now they're proposing to keep their promises to those who voted for them, and Dims of course will fight to keep them from doing so. And all the while the voters will be watching and listening to them as the '12 elections get closer every day.

House GOP Lists $2.5 Trillion in Spending Cuts - US News and World Report

I've got an easier cut...

Why make cuts that assist millions of Americans?

Cut Afghanistan and Iraq and you will save $2.5 trillion in ten years
Do both and save $5 tril....Deal?

This.

Sad that WR found a way to attack Reps over the wars but makes no mention of the last 4 years od Dems expanding the wars.

Here, I'll spell it out for RW'er... You can't sit back and say Conservatives are pro war just because Bush (who most conservatives don't like) pushed the country into war. All the while claiming Dems are anti war while they expanded them... Also, most people regardless of part supported Bush going into Iraq, liberals and conservatives in and out of congress... Look up the votes of the Dems in office at the time.

Last edited:
Our existing national debt is the result of decisions made from Reagan on. Baby Bush added $5 trillion himself..

Selective memory?

Was someone defending Bush? I thought not.

Who increased the debt by more than baby Bush in only two years? Now I'll bet that's a poser for ya isn't it?

In the real world,,nobody!

True, Obama will surpass GWB, but he has not accomplished that yet! You must stop reading talking points and assume they are factual. It only takes a few moments to actually see if the talking points are BS or factual.

OK, after looking it up in 8 years Bush added 5 Trillion to the debt. (Give or take a few hundred billion). When he left office the debt was $10.7 Trillion. Source Politifact.

It's now two years later and the debt has passed $14 Trillion and we need to raise the debt ceiling so we aren't in default. So, it isn't more yet, you're right. It will probably be more by this time next year. So, in case you've missed my point, doing worse in three years than the worst guy ever did in 8, is really, really BAD. Doncha think?

This is why you heard Eric Cantor on Sunday, strangely, making a point of reminding everyone that the GOP House doesn't control the government.

Our existing national debt is the result of decisions made from Reagan on. Baby Bush added $5 trillion himself..

Selective memory?

Who increased the debt by more than baby Bush in only two years? Now I'll bet that's a poser for ya isn't it?

True, Obama will surpass GWB, but he has not accomplished that yet! You must stop reading talking points and assume they are factual. It only takes a few moments to actually see if the talking points are BS or factual.

Sorry, not reading talking points, just good old fashioned misdisrembering of the factuational number...lol. I thought Bush left with $8.5 Trillion in debt instead of $10.7. But, i did correct it subsequently after RW made me go look it up. That's ok tho, Obama will have us at $15 Trillion this time next year, then he'll have the dubious distinction.

OK, after looking it up in 8 years Bush added 5 Trillion to the debt. (Give or take a few hundred billion). When he left office the debt was $10.7 Trillion. Source Politifact.

It's now two years later and the debt has passed $14 Trillion and we need to raise the debt ceiling so we aren't in default. So, it isn't more yet, you're right. It will probably be more by this time next year. So, in case you've missed my point, doing worse in three years than the worst guy ever did in 8, is really, really BAD. Doncha think?[/QUOTE]

Of course.

This is the list.

Corporation for Public Broadcasting Subsidy. $445 million annual savings.

Save America's Treasures Program. $25 million annual savings.

International Fund for Ireland. $17 million annual savings.

Legal Services Corporation. $420 million annual savings.

National Endowment for the Arts. $167.5 million annual savings.

National Endowment for the Humanities. $167.5 million annual savings.

Hope VI Program. $250 million annual savings.

Amtrak Subsidies. $1.565 billion annual savings.

Eliminate duplicative education programs. H.R. 2274 (in last Congress), authored by Rep. McKeon, eliminates 68 at a savings of $1.3 billion annually.

U.S. Trade Development Agency. $55 million annual savings.

Woodrow Wilson Center Subsidy. $20 million annual savings.

Cut in half funding for congressional printing and binding. $47 million annual savings.

John C. Stennis Center Subsidy. $430,000 annual savings.

Community Development Fund. $4.5 billion annual savings.

Heritage Area Grants and Statutory Aid. $24 million annual savings.

Cut Federal Travel Budget in Half. $7.5 billion annual savings.

Trim Federal Vehicle Budget by 20%. $600 million annual savings.

Essential Air Service. $150 million annual savings.

Technology Innovation Program. $70 million annual savings.

Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) Program. $125 million annual savings.

Department of Energy Grants to States for Weatherization. $530 million annual savings.

Beach Replenishment. $95 million annual savings.

New Starts Transit. $2 billion annual savings.

Exchange Programs for Alaska, Natives Native Hawaiians, and Their Historical Trading Partners in Massachusetts. $9 million annual savings.

Intercity and High Speed Rail Grants. $2.5 billion annual savings.

Title X Family Planning. $318 million annual savings.

Appalachian Regional Commission. $76 million annual savings.

Economic Development Administration. $293 million annual savings.

Programs under the National and Community Services Act. $1.15 billion annual savings.

Applied Research at Department of Energy. $1.27 billion annual savings.

FreedomCAR and Fuel Partnership. $200 million annual savings.

Energy Star Program. $52 million annual savings.

Economic Assistance to Egypt. $250 million annually.

U.S. Agency for International Development. $1.39 billion annual savings.

General Assistance to District of Columbia. $210 million annual savings.

Subsidy for Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. $150 million annual savings.

Presidential Campaign Fund. $775 million savings over ten years.

No funding for federal office space acquisition. $864 million annual savings.

End prohibitions on competitive sourcing of government services.

Repeal the Davis-Bacon Act. More than $1 billion annually.

IRS Direct Deposit: Require the IRS to deposit fees for some services it offers (such as processing payment plans for taxpayers) to the Treasury, instead of allowing it to remain as part of its budget. $1.8 billion savings over ten years.

Require collection of unpaid taxes by federal employees. $1 billion total savings.

Prohibit taxpayer funded union activities by federal employees. $1.2 billion savings over ten years.

Sell excess federal properties the government does not make use of. $15 billion total savings.

Eliminate death gratuity for Members of Congress.

Eliminate Mohair Subsidies. $1 million annual savings.

Eliminate taxpayer subsidies to the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. $12.5 million annual savings.

Eliminate Market Access Program. $200 million annual savings.

USDA Sugar Program. $14 million annual savings.

Subsidy to Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). $93 million annual savings.

Eliminate the National Organic Certification Cost-Share Program. $56.2 million annual savings.

Eliminate fund for Obamacare administrative costs. $900 million savings.

Ready to Learn TV Program. $27 million savings.

HUD Ph.D. Program.

Deficit Reduction Check-Off Act.

TOTAL SAVINGS: $2.5 Trillion over Ten Years

That's some serious shit right there!

I wonder if they'll have the backbone to do it? Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen.

I wonder how many jobs that will cost....

I've got an easier cut...

Why make cuts that assist millions of Americans?

Cut Afghanistan and Iraq and you will save $2.5 trillion in ten years
Do both and save $5 tril....Deal?

This.

Sad that WR found a way to attack Reps over the wars but makes no mention of the last 4 years od Dems expanding the wars.Here, I'll spell it out for RW'er... You can't sit back and say Conservatives are pro war just because Bush (who most conservatives don't like) pushed the country into war. All the while claiming Dems are anti war while they expanded them... Also, most people regardless of part supported Bush going into Iraq, liberals and conservatives in and out of congress... Look up the votes of the Dems in office at the time.

Actually, the expansion of the war in Afghanistan defintely was a bipartisan effort as the GOP is more hawkish than the Dems.
Also, Afghanistan would be a far different place needing a far different approach if the US wouldn't of moved most of it's intelligence and resources out of Afghanistan for the invasion of Iraq. I doubt one can find anyone in the military or the intelligence community who would disagree with my assessment.

It's now two years later and the debt has passed $14 Trillion and we need to raise the debt ceiling so we aren't in default. So, it isn't more yet, you're right. It will probably be more by this time next year. So, in case you've missed my point, doing worse in three years than the worst guy ever did in 8, is really, really BAD. Doncha think?

You have to look at cause and effect....

...in spending.

Read it and weep, Dimocrats.. You're being set up. Republicans got elected in November because you nitwits spent gobs of money we don't have and the public didn't want you to. Now they're proposing to keep their promises to those who voted for them, and Dims of course will fight to keep them from doing so. And all the while the voters will be watching and listening to them as the '12 elections get closer every day.

Gee.....it looks like they might have FORGOTTEN something.

:eusa_whistle:

"One thing they do not include are any cuts to military spending. In fact, the legislation does not even mention the Department of Defense. This completely flies in the face of the demands of many in the tea party movement and tea party-backed Republican politicians that back cuts in defense spending."

Gee......sounds like it's time to start-over.

:eusa_hand:

Get back to us, when you're serious.​

Letting people keep what's there doesn't "cost" anything.

No deal and no dishonest semantics, either.

It is not yours when you owe the War Debt fiddler back when you were dancing in the streets. That is a very important item to recall. It is like looking at the dinner bill from back when you handed that pretty waitress your American Express card. Got it.
Was against the war.

You fail again, tovarich.

OK, we can drop the dancing in the streets, but you still get hung like the rest of us.

If that keeps you warm at night....

But in point of fact, the same misguided thinking that led Bush to do what he did, is the same kind of misguided thinking that is leading Obama to do what he's doing. It was wrong when Bush did it and doubling or tripling or quadrupling the volume of spending without paying for it, makes it LESS right, NOT more right.

...in spending.

"One thing they do not include are any cuts to military spending. In fact, the legislation does not even mention the Department of Defense. This completely flies in the face of the demands of many in the tea party movement and tea party-backed Republican politicians that back cuts in defense spending."

The amount of military spending is appropriate for a country the size and with the needs the US has and is well under historical norms.

For FY 2010, Department of Defense spending amounts to 4.7% of GDP.[26] Because the U.S. GDP has risen over time, the military budget can rise in absolute terms while shrinking as a percentage of the GDP. For example, the Department of Defense budget is slated to be $664 billion in 2010 (including the cost of operations in Iraq and Afghanistan previously funded through supplementary budget legislation[27][28]), higher than at any other point in American history, but still 1.1–1.4% lower as a percentage of GDP than the amount spent on defense during the peak of Cold-War military spending in the late 1980s

Military budget of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In my opinion it is appropriate to spend less than 5% of GDP on Defense. It would be malfeasance to spend less than 3.5%. Under certain conditions it would be appropriate to spend slightly more than 5%, but that should be rare, well debated and paid for.

...in spending.

The amount of military spending is appropriate for a country the size and with the needs the US has and is well under historical norms.

Sorry.

Common-sense suggests The Joint Chiefs know better than ANYone......

HERE

This is the list.

Corporation for Public Broadcasting Subsidy. $445 million annual savings.

Save America's Treasures Program. $25 million annual savings.

International Fund for Ireland. $17 million annual savings.

Legal Services Corporation. $420 million annual savings.

National Endowment for the Arts. $167.5 million annual savings.

National Endowment for the Humanities. $167.5 million annual savings.

Hope VI Program. $250 million annual savings.

Amtrak Subsidies. $1.565 billion annual savings.

Eliminate duplicative education programs. H.R. 2274 (in last Congress), authored by Rep. McKeon, eliminates 68 at a savings of $1.3 billion annually.

U.S. Trade Development Agency. $55 million annual savings.

Woodrow Wilson Center Subsidy. $20 million annual savings.

Cut in half funding for congressional printing and binding. $47 million annual savings.

John C. Stennis Center Subsidy. $430,000 annual savings.

Community Development Fund. $4.5 billion annual savings.

Heritage Area Grants and Statutory Aid. $24 million annual savings.

Cut Federal Travel Budget in Half. $7.5 billion annual savings.

Trim Federal Vehicle Budget by 20%. $600 million annual savings.

Essential Air Service. $150 million annual savings.

Technology Innovation Program. $70 million annual savings.

Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) Program. $125 million annual savings.

Department of Energy Grants to States for Weatherization. $530 million annual savings.

Beach Replenishment. $95 million annual savings.

New Starts Transit. $2 billion annual savings.

Exchange Programs for Alaska, Natives Native Hawaiians, and Their Historical Trading Partners in Massachusetts. $9 million annual savings.

Intercity and High Speed Rail Grants. $2.5 billion annual savings.

Title X Family Planning. $318 million annual savings.

Appalachian Regional Commission. $76 million annual savings.

Economic Development Administration. $293 million annual savings.

Programs under the National and Community Services Act. $1.15 billion annual savings.

Applied Research at Department of Energy. $1.27 billion annual savings.

FreedomCAR and Fuel Partnership. $200 million annual savings.

Energy Star Program. $52 million annual savings.

Economic Assistance to Egypt. $250 million annually.

U.S. Agency for International Development. $1.39 billion annual savings.

General Assistance to District of Columbia. $210 million annual savings.

Subsidy for Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. $150 million annual savings.

Presidential Campaign Fund. $775 million savings over ten years.

No funding for federal office space acquisition. $864 million annual savings.

End prohibitions on competitive sourcing of government services.

Repeal the Davis-Bacon Act. More than $1 billion annually.

IRS Direct Deposit: Require the IRS to deposit fees for some services it offers (such as processing payment plans for taxpayers) to the Treasury, instead of allowing it to remain as part of its budget. $1.8 billion savings over ten years.

Require collection of unpaid taxes by federal employees. $1 billion total savings.

Prohibit taxpayer funded union activities by federal employees. $1.2 billion savings over ten years.

Sell excess federal properties the government does not make use of. $15 billion total savings.

Eliminate death gratuity for Members of Congress.

Eliminate Mohair Subsidies. $1 million annual savings.

Eliminate taxpayer subsidies to the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. $12.5 million annual savings.

Eliminate Market Access Program. $200 million annual savings.

USDA Sugar Program. $14 million annual savings.

Subsidy to Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). $93 million annual savings.

Eliminate the National Organic Certification Cost-Share Program. $56.2 million annual savings.

Eliminate fund for Obamacare administrative costs. $900 million savings.

Ready to Learn TV Program. $27 million savings.

HUD Ph.D. Program.

Deficit Reduction Check-Off Act.

TOTAL SAVINGS: $2.5 Trillion over Ten Years

That's some serious shit right there!

I wonder if they'll have the backbone to do it? Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen.

I wonder how many jobs that will cost....

Government jobs don't add value to the economy. They drain money from it. Economics 101.

Sorry.

Common-sense suggests The Joint Chiefs know better than ANYone......

HERE

The joint chiefs don't know better. They are current occupants of an office who may say a variety of things that they are told to say for a variety of reasons. (Most of them political). It's much more reasonable to look over the decades and see what we've spent and what was the effect of the expenditures on the military forces, readiness etc. This is a much more reliable method than listening to idle speculation by even the best informed individuals.

I'm sure you've heard that hindsight is 20/20. There are times to use that 20/20 hindsight constructively and this is one of them.

If that keeps you warm at night....

But in point of fact, the same misguided thinking that led Bush to do what he did, is the same kind of misguided thinking that is leading Obama to do what he's doing. It was wrong when Bush did it and doubling or tripling or quadrupling the volume of spending without paying for it, makes it LESS right, NOT more right.

you missed the entire point. During first 6 years for the Bush presidency, we were in a bull market, tax collection was up due to high employment. bush also used accounting gimmicks to keep the original cost of both wars off the budgets and deemed emergency spending (which did not have to be accounted for in the annual budget). he also gave 2 huge tax cuts to the wealthy. still during a time of high employment and a bull market Bush managed to incur over $5 Trillion in new debt. i t would seem to say to me that even during times of economic boom, republicans still dont know how to balance the budget.

fast forward from 2006 - 2010 and what do we have: the worst recession since the great depression, high unemployment and low tax collection. it was a given that no matter what obama did, he would have increased both the debt and deficit. he also had to put the wars on the budget, by doing this he increased the debt and deficit exponentially, but it was the right thing to do. you also tend to forget that as the debt increases, so does the interest on this, thus leading to a faster increase in the debt.

so in 2011 what do we have now, still high unemployment, low tax collection and a skyrocketing debt and deficit. so i think we truthfully need to ask ourselves these questions.

is now really the right time to eliminate many of the programs that the lower and middle class rely upon?
if we eliminate these suggested programs how may will this contribute to more job losses or any job creation?
instead of simply eliminating many programs, can we plan ahead and scale back many projects and programs that are widely used?
is it time for a flat tax system in the US?

If you leave it alive, someone will take it up years later and then baseline budgeting gets a hold of it and spending spirals out of control. That's the history of federal budget for the last 50 years.

In the long run, the less government does, the cheaper it will be. The more it does the more expensive it will be. Period. I don't care if the pay back period is 25 years or 50 years, with any luck the country will be around for longer than that, therefore it's cheaper to bite the bullet now than it would be later.

Didn't Haliburton teach you any lessons???

And the contracts of Haliburton you are complaining about were created and put out by what entity again???

Fucking idiot.... jump off a bridge, it's not worth the effort

The Bush and Cheney admin.

It's a good start but they need to do much more.

About half the deficit is due to the recession. When the economy starts growing at capacity, the deficit will be $600-$700 billion a year. So it is not enough.

Forum List

Back