Repubs Propose $2.5 TRILLION Cuts..

As silly as it is to say that government jobs don't add value to the economy - and it is silly to make a broad generalization about all government jobs ...

... jobs that do not create value relative to their costs by definition do not add value.

Not all jobs are the same.

If we decided to dedicate $5 trillion to building statues of our political leaders, that has much less value than dedicating $5 trillion to research for nanotechnology, neural networks, biotechnology, genomics, etc., which make our lives better.

I cannot disagree with that. However badly spent, virtually all domestic spending funnels right back into the economy. Even unemployment benefits and welfare. virtually every dime of that is spent in the economy.

the most valuless govt jobs are the purely political ones. Such as the presidents political advisor, etc.

Certain types of spending increase the velocity of money. We can also think of some types of government spending as insurance, such as social security or welfare, whereby the risks of poverty and the attendant ills are spread throughout the economy, at least up to a point where it discourages productive behavior.

However, those types of programs are design to induce a certain type of behavior. If resources are funneled from productive sectors to unproductive sectors, that destroys wealth.

I understand what you are saying, but the welath winds up in someones pocket.
Food Stamps puts how many billions into the grocery and food production chain each year?
Medicare and medicaid how much into the health care industry and pharma industry?
It is a suck up situation on the wealth I agree and there is problems with helping to create a more class dividied society. But we need more soloutions to work on those issues.
That suckup wealth flow also does cereate some jobs up the chain.

Not a simple problem with a simple soloution.

I don't want to cut any programs that help Americans either. I just want to cut the programs that encourage Americans to be dependent, irresponsible, foolish, or speculative from an early age rather than programs that encourage values and a culture in which people consider it an honor and responsibility to become independent, self reliant,a positive in their society, and prosper.
Yes if congress and the people could just agree on what those things are....[/
Spending on programs not authorized by the Constitution should be cut. Anything cut should be left to the state's perogative.

Cut the spending and shift the responsibility from Washington to individuals and local govenments and you will see money being spent far more efficiently. You will see it wasted much less. And you will be able to see people support themselves far better.

Total crap
The constitution specifically authorizes very little. It basically says.....Do what's best for the country

Total crap
The constitution specifically authorizes very little. It basically says.....Do what's best for the country

No, it doesn't say that at all.

Is there any reason why you want a bueaucrat in Washington deciding how to educate your children rather than you and your local community?

Who decides it is necessary for out national defense to invade and occupy foreign countries?
The constitution only authorizes a military for the defense of the USA.
We have not been attacked by any nation since WW2.

Could still be a drop in the bucket but it is a start. So i have to applaud them for their efforts.

If they cut 2.5 annually from the Budget, I believe we would be running a surplus.

Drop in the Bucket?

Yes, that's tre, But they are planning to cut 2.5 Trillion over 10 years. not each year for 10 years.

ok so a quarter Trillion a year. with a 1.5 Trillion Deficit I would hardly call cutting it by 17.5% a drop in a bucket. Not enough for sure, but a good start is what I call that.

This is the list.

Corporation for Public Broadcasting Subsidy. $445 million annual savings.

Save America's Treasures Program. $25 million annual savings.

International Fund for Ireland. $17 million annual savings.

Legal Services Corporation. $420 million annual savings.

National Endowment for the Arts. $167.5 million annual savings.

National Endowment for the Humanities. $167.5 million annual savings.

Hope VI Program. $250 million annual savings.

Amtrak Subsidies. $1.565 billion annual savings.

Eliminate duplicative education programs. H.R. 2274 (in last Congress), authored by Rep. McKeon, eliminates 68 at a savings of $1.3 billion annually.

U.S. Trade Development Agency. $55 million annual savings.

Woodrow Wilson Center Subsidy. $20 million annual savings.

Cut in half funding for congressional printing and binding. $47 million annual savings.

John C. Stennis Center Subsidy. $430,000 annual savings.

Community Development Fund. $4.5 billion annual savings.

Heritage Area Grants and Statutory Aid. $24 million annual savings.

Cut Federal Travel Budget in Half. $7.5 billion annual savings.

Trim Federal Vehicle Budget by 20%. $600 million annual savings.

Essential Air Service. $150 million annual savings.

Technology Innovation Program. $70 million annual savings.

Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) Program. $125 million annual savings.

Department of Energy Grants to States for Weatherization. $530 million annual savings.

Beach Replenishment. $95 million annual savings.

New Starts Transit. $2 billion annual savings.

Exchange Programs for Alaska, Natives Native Hawaiians, and Their Historical Trading Partners in Massachusetts. $9 million annual savings.

Intercity and High Speed Rail Grants. $2.5 billion annual savings.

Title X Family Planning. $318 million annual savings.

Appalachian Regional Commission. $76 million annual savings.

Economic Development Administration. $293 million annual savings.

Programs under the National and Community Services Act. $1.15 billion annual savings.

Applied Research at Department of Energy. $1.27 billion annual savings.

FreedomCAR and Fuel Partnership. $200 million annual savings.

Energy Star Program. $52 million annual savings.

Economic Assistance to Egypt. $250 million annually.

U.S. Agency for International Development. $1.39 billion annual savings.

General Assistance to District of Columbia. $210 million annual savings.

Subsidy for Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. $150 million annual savings.

Presidential Campaign Fund. $775 million savings over ten years.

No funding for federal office space acquisition. $864 million annual savings.

End prohibitions on competitive sourcing of government services.

Repeal the Davis-Bacon Act. More than $1 billion annually.

IRS Direct Deposit: Require the IRS to deposit fees for some services it offers (such as processing payment plans for taxpayers) to the Treasury, instead of allowing it to remain as part of its budget. $1.8 billion savings over ten years.

Require collection of unpaid taxes by federal employees. $1 billion total savings.

Prohibit taxpayer funded union activities by federal employees. $1.2 billion savings over ten years.

Sell excess federal properties the government does not make use of. $15 billion total savings.

Eliminate death gratuity for Members of Congress.

Eliminate Mohair Subsidies. $1 million annual savings.

Eliminate taxpayer subsidies to the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. $12.5 million annual savings.

Eliminate Market Access Program. $200 million annual savings.

USDA Sugar Program. $14 million annual savings.

Subsidy to Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). $93 million annual savings.

Eliminate the National Organic Certification Cost-Share Program. $56.2 million annual savings.

Eliminate fund for Obamacare administrative costs. $900 million savings.

Ready to Learn TV Program. $27 million savings.

HUD Ph.D. Program.

Deficit Reduction Check-Off Act.

TOTAL SAVINGS: $2.5 Trillion over Ten Years

That's some serious shit right there!

I wonder if they'll have the backbone to do it? Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen.

No they won't and anyone that believes otherwise is a moron or suffers a mental disease ... :eusa_hand:

This would be a good start - but without reforming SS and Medicare, it's not enough to fix the spending problem.

You might want to look at the figures. The real figures.

Social Security and Medicare aren't huge financial issues. The problem is that they CAN BECOME huge issues.

The way to get control of any problem there is to flat stop this business of people on Medicare getting and using services and goods they don't need. Some of those people think it's freebee time and are clearly abusing the system. A good example is that b.s. where Medicare is paying for YMCA activities -- the same activities that happen to be free at Senior Citizen Centers. Maybe someone smart would care to explain that one to me. And the "Welcome to Medicare" exam as well. Excuse me?? We are paying for that rubbish??

We tend also to ignore the fact that Social Security and Medicare are not free. Everyone receiving them has paid for them over the years through payroll deductions. AND the recipients and payees most certainly were not party to the decision to take all the monies from the SS account and dump it in the general fund -- and never pay it back plus interest. WE put that money in that account, WE made it a very healthy chunk of money, and politicians simply snatched it.

So we also have to stop this grab and go that politicians think THEY are entitled to.

I wonder how many of you stupid white trash redneck types that are ranting on this thread against spending are currently on welfare or have family members living off government money ...

I'm 100% sure a few of you are. The most committed 'republicans' are poor white trash welfare-dwellers.

'Nuff said.

This is the list.

Corporation for Public Broadcasting Subsidy. $445 million annual savings.

Save America's Treasures Program. $25 million annual savings.

International Fund for Ireland. $17 million annual savings.

Legal Services Corporation. $420 million annual savings.

National Endowment for the Arts. $167.5 million annual savings.

National Endowment for the Humanities. $167.5 million annual savings.

Hope VI Program. $250 million annual savings.

Amtrak Subsidies. $1.565 billion annual savings.

Eliminate duplicative education programs. H.R. 2274 (in last Congress), authored by Rep. McKeon, eliminates 68 at a savings of $1.3 billion annually.

U.S. Trade Development Agency. $55 million annual savings.

Woodrow Wilson Center Subsidy. $20 million annual savings.

Cut in half funding for congressional printing and binding. $47 million annual savings.

John C. Stennis Center Subsidy. $430,000 annual savings.

Community Development Fund. $4.5 billion annual savings.

Heritage Area Grants and Statutory Aid. $24 million annual savings.

Cut Federal Travel Budget in Half. $7.5 billion annual savings.

Trim Federal Vehicle Budget by 20%. $600 million annual savings.

Essential Air Service. $150 million annual savings.

Technology Innovation Program. $70 million annual savings.

Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) Program. $125 million annual savings.

Department of Energy Grants to States for Weatherization. $530 million annual savings.

Beach Replenishment. $95 million annual savings.

New Starts Transit. $2 billion annual savings.

Exchange Programs for Alaska, Natives Native Hawaiians, and Their Historical Trading Partners in Massachusetts. $9 million annual savings.

Intercity and High Speed Rail Grants. $2.5 billion annual savings.

Title X Family Planning. $318 million annual savings.

Appalachian Regional Commission. $76 million annual savings.

Economic Development Administration. $293 million annual savings.

Programs under the National and Community Services Act. $1.15 billion annual savings.

Applied Research at Department of Energy. $1.27 billion annual savings.

FreedomCAR and Fuel Partnership. $200 million annual savings.

Energy Star Program. $52 million annual savings.

Economic Assistance to Egypt. $250 million annually.

U.S. Agency for International Development. $1.39 billion annual savings.

General Assistance to District of Columbia. $210 million annual savings.

Subsidy for Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. $150 million annual savings.

Presidential Campaign Fund. $775 million savings over ten years.

No funding for federal office space acquisition. $864 million annual savings.

End prohibitions on competitive sourcing of government services.

Repeal the Davis-Bacon Act. More than $1 billion annually.

IRS Direct Deposit: Require the IRS to deposit fees for some services it offers (such as processing payment plans for taxpayers) to the Treasury, instead of allowing it to remain as part of its budget. $1.8 billion savings over ten years.

Require collection of unpaid taxes by federal employees. $1 billion total savings.

Prohibit taxpayer funded union activities by federal employees. $1.2 billion savings over ten years.

Sell excess federal properties the government does not make use of. $15 billion total savings.

Eliminate death gratuity for Members of Congress.

Eliminate Mohair Subsidies. $1 million annual savings.

Eliminate taxpayer subsidies to the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. $12.5 million annual savings.

Eliminate Market Access Program. $200 million annual savings.

USDA Sugar Program. $14 million annual savings.

Subsidy to Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). $93 million annual savings.

Eliminate the National Organic Certification Cost-Share Program. $56.2 million annual savings.

Eliminate fund for Obamacare administrative costs. $900 million savings.

Ready to Learn TV Program. $27 million savings.

HUD Ph.D. Program.

Deficit Reduction Check-Off Act.

TOTAL SAVINGS: $2.5 Trillion over Ten Years

That's some serious shit right there!

I wonder if they'll have the backbone to do it? Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen.

I wonder how many jobs that will cost....

Government jobs don't add value to the economy. They drain money from it. Economics 101.

"Added to this, three and a half million men and women are directly engaged in the defense establishment. We annually spend on military security more than the net income of all United States corporations.

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence -- economic, political, even spiritual -- is felt in every city, every State house, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the militaryindustrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist."
.....In THE 1%ERS' HAND$!!!!!!!!

How do you Teabaggers justify defending the people that're rippin'-everyone-off??

Where's the honor in being the suckers you are??

:eusa_eh:

It's amazing how eliminating 2.5 trillion dollars from the budget could be compared trying to shave a monkeys back with kindergarten scissors. It shows how bad our situation is.
In addition to this, I need to see some structural issues changed.

Until social security is reform, USAID is dissolved into nothing more than an emergency response organization, prohibition is done away with, we stop policing the globe, and the tax code is reformed I won't be totally happy.

These cuts will be easily targeted though. Dems will say all the cuts are domestic cuts that are republican-backed that does nothing for them. They'll yell "hey how bout those useless wars, why did decide to cut those and bring the troops home". Something they've had a four year window of opportunity to do themselves. Then they'll vote in a huge block against it, and it'll be "change as usual".

Last edited:
The amount of military spending is appropriate for a country the size and with the needs the US has and is well under historical norms.

Sorry.

Common-sense suggests The Joint Chiefs know better than ANYone......

HERE

The joint chiefs don't know better. They are current occupants of an office who may say a variety of things that they are told to say for a variety of reasons. (Most of them political). It's much more reasonable to look over the decades and see what we've spent and what was the effect of the expenditures on the military forces, readiness etc. This is a much more reliable method than listening to idle speculation by even the best informed individuals.

I'm sure you've heard that hindsight is 20/20. There are times to use that 20/20 hindsight constructively and this is one of them.
I'm sure investor$ (in the defense-industry), and Imperiali$t$ (in-general) appreciate your $upport.​

"I spent 33 years and 4 months in active service as a member of our country's most agile military force--the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from second lieutenant to Major General. And during that period I spent most of my time being a high-class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer for capitalism. I suspected I was part of a racket all the time. Now I am sure of it. Like all members of the military profession I never had an original thought until I left the service." - Major General Smedley Darlington Butler, USMC

"I spent 33 years and 4 months in active service as a member of our country's most agile military force--the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from second lieutenant to Major General. And during that period I spent most of my time being a high-class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer for capitalism. I suspected I was part of a racket all the time. Now I am sure of it. Like all members of the military profession I never had an original thought until I left the service." -
Major General Smedley Darlington Butler, USMC

Hey...........anybody who grows up with the name "Smedley" is highly likely to be an odball and say even more oddball things!! ANd this dolt is a "Smedley Darlington"....................OK!!!!!

bikercover1.jpg

SS is pretty easy to fix for quite a while.
Raise the age to draw since we live longer now.
Remove the cap on the max salary you have to pay SS contributions on.
and maybe raise the contribution level by 1/2%.
And QUIT spending any surplus. It does have to be paid back!

Medicare now is a whole nuther ballgame.

I don't want to cut any programs that help Americans either. I just want to cut the programs that encourage Americans to be dependent, irresponsible, foolish, or speculative from an early age rather than programs that encourage values and a culture in which people consider it an honor and responsibility to become independent, self reliant,a positive in their society, and prosper.
wow.....how specific.

John Boner might be looking for another speechwriter.

Give him a call.​

OK so the repubs want to cut a measly 1/5th of the current deficit.

Isn't that epic fail by definition?

Why don't they want to cut the entire deficit?

Now we are getting somewhere...

While we are at it, lets repeal the Bush tax cuts and save $7.5 trillion....Deal?
Letting people keep what's there doesn't "cost" anything.

No deal and no dishonest semantics, either.

You are a pussy when it comes to cutting the deficit

I'm willing to give up my tax cut....why aren't you?

Its for the good of the country

What's stopping you? Send in a check for the extra amount you're willing to give up if you're so committed.

Didn't Haliburton teach you any lessons???

And the contracts of Haliburton you are complaining about were created and put out by what entity again???

Fucking idiot.... jump off a bridge, it's not worth the effort

The Bush and Cheney admin.

Care to see what other (COUGH CLINTON) Presidents have also used Haliburton for no-bid contracts...

The key is that it was the government actually doing the spending REGARDLESS of which President.... so it was still government spending

Forum List

Back