Reported Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I report spam, other than that, I don't report anything.

If someone attacks another, it's between them, not me. I may comment but I don't report.

In over four years, of being a member here, I reported one person. I was even reluctant to do that, but felt it necessary.

It happens by people from all sides who have no real sense of personal power.

Considering that cereal_killer and some mods have told me they want members to report infractions, you're giving a very mixed message here.

Which is it?

Are you agreeing that people who report are "douche bag limp dick fags" "who have no real sense of personal power" or are they responsible members of a community?

What is it that the admin and mods want from the members here?

I've been told to report infractions because they're not all caught. Since then, I've been called a paedophile six times and .....well, we all see where that went, don't we?

I've been told to report dupe threads. We all see where that went, don't we?

I'm beginning to think [MENTION=1]jimnyc[/MENTION] bought this place back.

if, big if, you've been called a pedo, then definitely report that. dupe threads, if we reported dupe threads the mods would have nothing else to do but merge threads. perhaps reporting 4 same threads, but two or three...meh.

also, i don't believe you. given your previous whiny thread about rules being broken and then having that thread moved to the FZ, i think you're just being a sensitive individual who can dish out but can't take it. the very fact you bash the former owner of this site only serves to prove my point.

Last edited:
I didn't really understand Howie's question.. Keep track of YOUR reported posts? Or ALL reported posts?

I assure you that we carefully follow the very high IRS standards for archiving customer and employee interactions and NO Report has ever been lost or stolen.. :D Couple of actually serious things.

1) ALL reports are handled. MOST are viewed by more than one mod. We often ask for opinions.

2) This is a community -- not a police state.. If you see a poster getting mugged with illegal posts, report it. If you see blatant rule violations -- report those as well. Poster reports are a vital part of moderating this board.

3) We don't owe an explanation for every report that is reviewed. OCCASIONALLY, we'll send an explanation. You are always welcomed to follow-up on a report by PMing your choice of Mod/Admin.

4) One of main mistakes in poster reports is not taking into consideration the ZONE in which the alleged offense occurred.. Different rules for different zones.

5) There are almost NO RULES about content or opinions if they are expressed legally in the correct forums.

You would not want to be part of message board where ONLY the moderators made calls about infractions. No matter how unbiased they were. We cannot fairly cover every nook and cranny of this board without help from the community. And your OPINIONS on infracts help us to calibrate our actions.

Is there any way for one to keep track of posts they've reported?

So, in before the lock:

I have seen at least two other forums where you could keep track of your reports. First, there was a link for you to see copies of the reports you made, with time-stamp, and then there was a marker as to whether the mods had dealt with it yet.

That being said, I noticed that those systems ultimately led to problems, for people would often copy what they wrote in reports and post that stuff on a thread somewhere.

So, the system that CK has in place right now seems to be pretty balanced, imo. There is nothing in the USMB rules that forbids you from PMing to check up on the status of a report. One thing that could be nice, as a courtesy, would be a PM to a member who issued a report with a simple one-liner like:

"Dear (member name), your report from (date) has been processed. Thank you".

[MENTION=36528]cereal_killer[/MENTION]

In over four years, of being a member here, I reported one person. I was even reluctant to do that, but felt it necessary.

I had a poster respond to me in the clean debate zone once, violating just about every CDz rule that existed. Instead of reporting him, I pm'ed the guy, advised him he could be banned for such and told him he should delete that post and attack me in a flame zone thread I was in.

He did, apologized and viciously attacked me in the flame zone.

No need to take this place so dang seriously.

Right Pop. Proving once again, we are the answer to our questions and we are the solution to our problems. :thup:

Right. In other words: self-control.

I didn't really understand Howie's question.. Keep track of YOUR reported posts? Or ALL reported posts?

I assure you that we carefully follow the very high IRS standards for archiving customer and employee interactions and NO Report has ever been lost or stolen.. Couple things.

1) ALL reports are handled. MOST are viewed by more than one mod. We often ask for opinions.

2) This is a community -- not a police state.. If you see a poster getting mugged with illegal posts, report it. If you see blatant rule violations -- report those as well. Poster reports are a vital part of moderating this board.

3) We don't owe an explanation for every report that is reviewed. OCCASIONALLY, we'll send an explanation. You are always welcomed to follow-up on a report by PMing your choice of Mod/Admin.

4) One of main mistakes in poster reports is not taking into consideration the ZONE in which the alleged offense occurred.. Different rules for different zones.

5) There are almost NO RULES about content or opinions if they are expressed legally in the correct forums.

You would not want to be part of message board where ONLY the moderators made calls about infractions. No matter how unbiased they were. We cannot fairly cover every nook and cranny of this board without help from the community. And your OPINIONS on infracts help us to calibrate our actions.

Right. Spot-on.

Stat:

Good post.. We don't issue reciepts when they are handled because EVERY ONE is handled.
I know that sometimes it's 2AM and it seems like waiting for 4 hours is a life-threatening situation,
but it WILL get reviewed and discussed..

6) One thing I forgot to mention is that A LOT of folks expect us to ban people per their report requests. More likely that what we do is NOT gonna be as visible as pinking everyone for parking tickets. Folks DO get PMs from us and infracts and there are paths that LEAD to bans -- but don't think your report got ignored because you didn't see someone change color immediately..

I assure you that we carefully follow the very high IRS standards for archiving customer and employee interactions and NO Report has ever been lost or stolen.. :D Couple of actually serious things.

[MENTION=30473]flacaltenn[/MENTION], I do appreciate your earlier note. Thank you.

I report posts that are clearly personal attacks or contain an offensive amount of profanity.
There are indeed quite a few posting parties that use profanity that of course is always offensive. I believe they know better than that or should. When I was in school I was taught that only uneducated people with low self-esteem use profanity. I agree with that! There is no excuse to use it other than to show one's ignorance and lack of self-respect and respect for others. A person can get their thought across quite well without the use of profanity. Personal attacks also are offensive as again one can use common thoughts to express themselves while having a conversation or discourse with others without sounding like they are a wild, uncontrolled animal on the loose. When I speak I often use great passion to get my thought across and that's one thing, but to start a barrage of cussing and bad language is unwarranted from anyone. There are some folks who do use it and although they may make points worthy of response, if they get into serious attack-mode and start using profanity those posts may be ignored. Thanks for your posting on this matter!

I report posts that are clearly personal attacks or contain an offensive amount of profanity.
There are indeed quite a few posting parties that use profanity that of course is always offensive. I believe they know better than that or should. When I was in school I was taught that only uneducated people with low self-esteem use profanity. I agree with that! There is no excuse to use it other than to show one's ignorance and lack of self-respect and respect for others. A person can get their thought across quite well without the use of profanity. Personal attacks also are offensive as again one can use common thoughts to express themselves while having a conversation or discourse with others without sounding like they are a wild, uncontrolled animal on the loose. When I speak I often use great passion to get my thought across and that's one thing, but to start a barrage of cussing and bad language is unwarranted from anyone. There are some folks who do use it and although they may make points worthy of response, if they get into serious attack-mode and start using profanity those posts may be ignored. Thanks for your posting on this matter!

I generally ignore or just skip over posts that depend on foul language because they almost always lack substance. The use of foul language is usually used to draw attention away from that fact and of course, it always fails.

I generally ignore or just skip over posts that depend on foul language because they almost always lack substance. The use of foul language is usually used to draw attention away from that fact and of course, it always fails.
Agreed!!

`Sides, crude language is not considered an offense here as long as it has content to the OP.

Are there instructions somewhere on this site or elsewhere as to how InfoLinks works? I am particularly interested in converting words and phrases in my posts to hyperlinks to InfoLink'ed websites. Right now, it seems to happen at random. I'd very much like to get it under control and take advantage of the full value InfoLinks has to offer.

`Sides, crude language is not considered an offense here as long as it has content to the OP.

It may not be an "offense" but it is offensive among people of good breeding and education. I would not consider expecting that language be censored here and would complain if it were. Nonetheless, it is indicative of a inability to think or express one's thoughts in a mature and thoughtful manner.

In short, its trashy and stupid. And, we all know what stupid trash is worth - nothing.

That's the choice the poster makes.

It may not be an "offense" but it is offensive among people of good breeding and education. I would not consider expecting that language be censored here and would complain if it were. Nonetheless, it is indicative of a inability to think or express one's thoughts in a mature and thoughtful manner.

In short, its trashy and stupid. And, we all know what stupid trash is worth - nothing.

That's the choice the poster makes.
That is entirely correct! But I sure wish more people showed the ability to understand that.

nope, you ignore posts that prove you wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back