Remind me why we had to extort $20BB from BP again?

The "Greatest Environmental Disaster EVAH!!!!!!" is a major fizzle. There's a few tar balls, a few birds covered in oil and not much else.

The vast majority of the oil dissipates long before it gets anywhere near the shore.

Remind me why we had to extort $20B from BP again, why did we circumvent the entire judicial process?

The greatest damage was to our judicial system which was upended by the Marxist Ideologue in an effort to extort $20B from BP

I'm happy to remind you, but you'll probably forget again.

1. We didn't extort anything. We didn't "Take" the money. It was escrowed.

2. BP agreed to the settlement. A function of law was un-necessary. The judicial system exists to settle disputes where the parties cannot reach an agreement on their own. So we didn't circumvent anything either.

3. As a result of (factual, indisputable) numbers 1&2, there was no damage to our judicial system. As such, we didn't upend anything.

Remember when the sky was falling because of the oil leak and a bunch of right wingers became environmentalists for like six whole weeks?

The "Greatest Environmental Disaster EVAH!!!!!!" is a major fizzle. There's a few tar balls, a few birds covered in oil and not much else.

The vast majority of the oil dissipates long before it gets anywhere near the shore.

Remind me why we had to extort $20B from BP again, why did we circumvent the entire judicial process?

The greatest damage was to our judicial system which was upended by the Marxist Ideologue in an effort to extort $20B from BP

Frank - you are displaying the gross lack of intelligence that is so characteristic of Conservatives.

When catastrophe threatens and there is a robust response that prevents that catastrophe, Conservatives always declare that there never was a real threat and that the reponse was an over reaction.

The reponse to this Oil spill has been the llargest emergency response to a catastrphe in the U.S. since WWII. Just because the response was very successful and largely averted this disaster does not mean that that the disaster was not real.

I've heard the same thing from Conservatives about the Bird Flu - that it was all a liberal hoax. In fact the response to the Bird Flu, by the W.H.O. was magnificient. It stopped a major epidemic from happening.

Instead of saying that the reponse to the Oil Spill was unnesccesary, you should recognize the hard work (oops...forgot Conservative never value hard work), by the tens of thousandds of people that have worked to stop it.

But then you'd have to give kudos to the Obama administration...and OMG! anything but that!

We are no longer a nation of laws, we are a nation of Obama and his brainless, mindless zombies.

You're a tool.

You people don't understand!! BP is the victim here!!!!!

Our law is the victim. We just became a nation of men and not of laws.

Would you want a Republican president to take that course of action if say the Tides Foundation or the NYTimes or George Soros fucks up?

Uhhhhh.... Yes.

I don't see how The Tides Foundation, Soros or the NYT is in a position to do harm to the comons.

Really? Soros pulled the British pound down cause millions to suffer. If he does the same to the dollar or to the stock market, maybe a future panicky Republican President will demand he put $20 Billion into an escrow

Obama is doing more damage to the Gulf economy than the oil ever could

What ever happened to the Conservative principle of accountability? I see that it applies to poor people on welfare but it obviously does not apply to mega corporations

Whatever happened to Libs getting all huffy about the "Imperial Presidency"?

Libs don't care about the law, or civil society, all they care about is Obama, praise be his Holy Name

Libs don't care about the law, or civil society, all they care about is Obama, praise be his Holy Name

Hey, dumdum, you seem to have glazed right over my answer to your concern.

As it turns out, use of the legal system was un-necessary in this case. It was settled, amicably and consensually, out of court.

When you can show me that out of court settlements are illegal, you'll have a case. Right now, you just look like a fool.

As it turns out, use of the legal system was un-necessary in this case. It was settled, amicably and consensually, out of court.

When you can show me that out of court settlements are illegal, you'll have a case. Right now, you just look like a fool.

Yes, the NY Crime families settle their beefs the same way.

It's the "Jesse Jackson Rainbow Coalition Corporate Shakedown Scam" writ Very Large.

Instead of actually doing something to protect the coasts and marshlands from the oil, the Obama Machine went into shakedown mode.

How inspiring!

Did you know it's actually a plus for BP. They write off $20 billion next year but they only have to pony up $5 billion a year for the next 4 years.

I suspect Obama made some deals with BP on this spill. He used them to try to push through Cap and Trade.

I wouldn't put anything past BP after their deal with Libya to release the Lockerby bomber prematurely just to get drilling contracts off their coast.

Last edited:

Oh, BULLSHIT!

Like many liberals, I have my criticism of the Obama administration. As a matter of fact, the low approval rating of the President and congress is more due to dissatisfied liberals than any great increase in the number of conservatives.

The reason liberals do not harp on our criticism of the Obama administration and congress is that we are too busy arguing with a legion of semi-psychotic right wing nuts cases that are so far out of touch with reality that they obviously pose an incredible threat to this nation.

GET THE FUCK IN TOUCH WITH REALITY!

What utter nonsense.

BP was facing enormous civil court cases.

Still is, but at least they were smart enough to prove before-hand that they were going to be reasonable by agreeing to put $20 B in escrow to mitigate the civil damnages they are SURELY going to be responsible for.

Trying to construe this mutual agreement as something odious is, naturally, something only a right wing CRANK would believe.

Last edited:

Oh, BULLSHIT!

Like many liberals, I have my criticism of the Obama administration. As a matter of fact, the low approval rating of the President and congress is more due to dissatisfied liberals than any great increase in the number of conservatives.

The reason liberals do not harp on our criticism of the Obama administration and congress is that we are too busy arguing with a legion of semi-psychotic right wing nuts cases that are so far out of touch with reality that they obviously pose an incredible threat to this nation.

GET THE FUCK IN TOUCH WITH REALITY!

The reason liberals do not harp on our criticism of the Obama administration is because mindless Zombies always do their masters bidding

Obammmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Obamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Obamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Obama has turned us into a Monarchy, he need not consult the Senate or the People, Obama knows best

Last edited:

What utter nonsense.

BP was facing enormous civil court cases.

Still is, but at least they were smart enough to prove before-hand that they were going to be reasonable by agreeing to put $20 B in escrow to mitigate the civil damnages they are SURELY going to be responsible for.

Trying to construe this mutual agreement as something odious is, naturally, something only a right wing CRANK would believe.

They were treatened with CRIMINAL proceeding by Emperor Obama and Lord knows what else.

Did they get a waiver from any civil or criminal action as a result of agreeing to the escrow?

What? Was that a No?

I have little doubt that more oil will wash up in the coming months. Commerical fishing and oil exploration will be damaged for a long time. BP has saved billions in litigation costs by being forthcoming with payments. I think it makes an excellent case study on how a corporation should deal with a crisis. Some of it good, some of it not.

BP still has the bankruptcy weapon should Obama get too out of line.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back