Remember Bill Clinton's backhanded compliments to Obama in 2008?

TheGreatGatsby

Gold Member
Mar 27, 2012
California
I've been wanting to find this for a while b/c I remember just laughing at the time and the look on Obama's face when Clinton was talking about how Obama would trust in people that were smarter than him and he would get the job done. :badgrin:

To give you some setting, in the wake of the "economic collapse" Obama did not present his view on bailouts and give economic policies for days and even the liberal media could only make so many excuses for him and they were like come on, say something already. So it was already a real sensitive topic for BO.

And to make matters worse, the comments were made with only about a week until the election.

"I saw this up close. You know what he did? First, he took a little heat for not saying much. I knew what he was doing. He talked to his advisers. He talked to my economic advisers. He called Hillary, he called me, he called Warren Buffet, He called all over, he called those people. You know why? Because it was complicated and before he said anything he wanted to understand."

And then he went on to sell Obama as a a puppet:

"He said, ‘Tell me what the right thing to do is. What’s the right thing for America? Don’t tell me what’s popular. You tell me what’s right — I’ll figure out how to sell it."

You can just see BO wiggling his thumbs and squirming in his seat.

You can watch it at the end of this video, starting at 8:10:

[youtube]RC-9PgJfJIw[/youtube]

I've been wanting to find this for a while b/c I remember just laughing at the time and the look on Obama's face when Clinton was talking about how Obama would trust in people that were smarter than him and he would get the job done. :badgrin:

To give you some setting, in the wake of the "economic collapse" Obama did not present his view on bailouts and give economic policies for days and even the liberal media could only make so many excuses for him and they were like come on, say something already. So it was already a real sensitive topic for BO.

And to make matters worse, the comments were made with only about a week until the election.

"I saw this up close. You know what he did? First, he took a little heat for not saying much. I knew what he was doing. He talked to his advisers. He talked to my economic advisers. He called Hillary, he called me, he called Warren Buffet, He called all over, he called those people. You know why? Because it was complicated and before he said anything he wanted to understand."

"He said, ‘Tell me what the right thing to do is. What’s the right thing for America? Don’t tell me what’s popular. You tell me what’s right — I’ll figure out how to sell it."

Remember all of the candidate's insults to Romney during the primaries? People still can't endorse him with a straight face. W Bush endorsed Romney while the elevator doors were closing the other day. Slightly half hearted.. :lol:

It's the nature of the beast, you just don't seem to get that. New to politics?

Remember all of the candidate's insults to Romney during the primaries? People still can't endorse him with a straight face. W Bush endorsed Romney while the elevator doors were closing the other day. Slightly half hearted.. :lol:

No, it's not the nature of the beast. You're equating candidates throwing mud at each other to a former president bitch slapping his party's nominee on the eve of an election.

As a tangent; it's only about a 12 minute speech. It's also funny to watch and see all the ways that Clinton advocated Barry and how he fell way short of his warranties. Dems failed by their own standards. I definitely recommend watching the whole thing. It's different than his convention speech which was standard toot his own horn/hate republican garble. In that speech, he builds a case on what Obama can do and boy did he fall short!

No, it's not the nature of the beast. You're equating candidates throwing mud at each other to a former president bitch slapping his party's nominee on the eve of an election.

You don't think W Bush's ringing endorsement of Romney while he was getting on an elevator was a slap in the face?

You don't seem to get this. Seriously.

You don't think W Bush's ringing endorsement of Romney while he was getting on an elevator was a slap in the face?

Bush realizes that he is a polarizing figure. He distanced himself from McCain and being out of the spotlight, he distanced himself from Romney even further. Bush was not going to be in campaign mode for anybody.

Bush realizes that he is a polarizing figure. He distanced himself from McCain and being out of the spotlight, he distanced himself from Romney even further. Bush was not going to be in campaign mode for anybody.

Your argument is getting weaker. If it had been some other candidate, Bush might be more enthusiastic in endorsing that person. Say Condoleezza was running for instance. Bush would be singing her praises from the rooftops. A former president will always carry some weight in certain demographics.

Nobody wants to admit they'll vote for Romney. Clinton is activly campaigning for Obama.

One must remember that Obama kept Clinton from returning to the White House. An thinking person would have picked up on thus.

Your argument is getting weaker. If it had been some other candidate, Bush might be more enthusiastic in endorsing that person. Say Condoleezza was running for instance. Bush would be singing her praises from the rooftops. A former president will always carry some weight in certain demographics.

Nobody wants to admit they'll vote for Romney. Clinton is activly campaigning for Obama.

Bush would probably be enthusiastic if it was one of his people. That's true. But he still wouldn't be hitting the campaign trail. That much is clear. And really none of this really correlates with very backhanded compliments on the eve of elections.

Coming from Rick Santorum, it's pretty bad..

Why? If the guy's a deuche then why is that so bad? You clearly aren't beholden to logic.

Just pointing out that it's much worse than anything Clinton may have said. Where's the flaw in logic?

I was speaking of her logic. As for your logic, where's your flaw? How about simply going off topic. What you're saying doesn't relate to the OP frankly. Good job on that "nutter."

Actually I don't see an insult in what Clinton said. I am no fan of Obama since he put my grandchildren into such debt but by what I read in the OP it seems like someone without experience should do. Didn't matter to those who voted for Obama that he didn't have the experience or the education for the job so I am not sure why admitting as much by Clinton is considered and insult and not just a statement of the reality that all should have known. If anything it is an insult to those who voted for Obama more then Obama himself.

Actually I don't see an insult in what Clinton said. I am no fan of Obama since he put my grandchildren into such debt but by what I read in the OP it seems like someone without experience should do. Didn't matter to those who voted for Obama that he didn't have the experience or the education for the job so I am not sure why admitting as much by Clinton is considered and insult and not just a statement of the reality that all should have known. If anything it is an insult to those who voted for Obama more then Obama himself.

It was an insult. He wanted to at least give the illusion or the impression that he was a keen mind capable of tackling any potential problem. He certainly did not want to be esteemed as having less intelligence than the Clintons either. It was an obvious insult.

Forum List

Back