religion Vs. arrogance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bullypulpit said:
How do you know?

Secondly, if God isn't going to compell obedience to his will, what business is it of man to attempt to do so?

We don't live in a theocracy.

Well I do know who God is and HE does want us to know about Him.

The problem is most people dont want to talk to Him to learn from Him, they would rather walk after their own ways. He isnt going to force you to get to know Him.

then why doesn't he or she make it known? instead of people having so many different religions? only one is right, right? if even that.
god and jesus made themself very apparent at one like the bible says, but why not now? it wouldn't be such a big deal if we had had this through out the times. instead it's a guessing game based on peoples assumption for what they want god to be.
everybody wants to know the truth, some are tired of sincerely looking and finding no answers, so out of resentment they claim to not care anymore about the truth.

larry_davis said:
then why doesn't he or she make it known? instead of people having so many different religions? only one is right, right? if even that.
god and jesus made themself very apparent at one like the bible says, but why not now? it wouldn't be such a big deal if we had had this through out the times. instead it's a guessing game based on peoples assumption for what they want god to be.
everybody wants to know the truth, some are tired of sincerely looking and finding no answers, so out of resentment they claim to not care anymore about the truth.

Because God operates on 'faith'. If something is 'proven' or 'shown' to you it requires not much faith, does it? Interestingly, the more FAITH one has, the more God is proven to them. ;)

and I bet it's not so much they are tired of looking for answers. I bet it's people don't always like the answers/truth when they are face with fact.

:)

dmp said:
Because God operates on 'faith'. If something is 'proven' or 'shown' to you it requires not much faith, does it? Interestingly, the more FAITH one has, the more God is proven to them. ;)

and I bet it's not so much they are tired of looking for answers. I bet it's people don't always like the answers/truth when they are face with fact.

:)

sounds like you're talking about blind faith, how is that any good? if i wrote a nice little story book about how the sun is god, does that make it true because it's a really good story and the book gets published. question is why do you really believe in god? social, media or family conditioning maybe?

most people i've met that don't care about god eventually give in and admit they have searched but gave up to not getting one shred of proof ever on wich god is the real god. you ever talk to people to that level? just answer yourself in your head.

I am always ironically heartened when I see so many non-believers come here and try to debunk the basis of our faith. It just shows that even they (perhaps especially they) are yearning to fill that emptiness that only God can fill.

Keep searching, even if it is in a confrontational way. We can take it. :mm:

Abbey Normal said:
I am always ironically heartened when I see so many non-believers come here and try to debunk the basis of our faith. It just shows that even they (perhaps especially they) are yearning to fill that emptiness that only God can fill.

Keep searching, even if it is in a confrontational way. We can take it. :mm:

I'm not trying to debunk anything. I'm just wondering why a god will not reveal him/herself. I always find it ironic that believers can never give an answer.

I have no emptiness. How asking a question as to why a god wants you to show faith shows that someone has emptiness, and how they relate to each other, is vacuous at best.

BTW, I'm not berating here (can't tell a tone on a messageboard sometimes), just wondering.

I am an athiest and have come to the conclusion that no matter what the reasons I believe as I do I cannot argue against faith, It has no rhyme nor reason, I am envious.Tell me how to get it, or just give me some, make sure it is faith for the right side.

Dr Grump said:
I'm not trying to debunk anything. I'm just wondering why a god will not reveal him/herself. I always find it ironic that believers can never give an answer.

I have no emptiness. How asking a question as to why a god wants you to show faith shows that someone has emptiness, and how they relate to each other, is vacuous at best.

BTW, I'm not berating here (can't tell a tone on a messageboard sometimes), just wondering.

I wasn't directing my post to you, but I will answer you anyway.

I will try to state it in other terms: If you (the collective you) were truly comfortable in your faithlessness, you would not be here "asking questions" as you put it. Or as I put it, here trying to debunk our faith. Whatever way you wish to characterize it, and whether you can see it or not, you are searching. I once heard someone call it searching to fill that God-sized hole in our soul. I can't think of a better way to put it.

To answer your direct question, I know no more about why God does not reveal Himself to you, than I do why He chose to reveal Himself in the times of the Old Testament. To paraphrase C.S. Lewis, for now, we see through a glass, darkly.

Btw, calling someone vacuous is kind of berating. ;) And is also typical of people who come here to argue against Christianity. It's all part of the journey.

I will leave you with a quote from St. Augustine which is dear to me:

"Unless you believe, you will not understand."

Abbey Normal said:
I wasn't directing my post to you, but I will answer you anyway.

I will try to state it in other terms: If you (the collective you) were truly comfortable in your faithlessness, you would not be here "asking questions" as you put it. Or as I put it, here trying to debunk our faith. Whatever way you wish to characterize it, and whether you can see it or not, you are searching. I once heard someone call it searching to fill that God-sized hole in our soul. I can't think of a better way to put it.

To answer your direct question, I know no more about why God does not reveal Himself to you, than I do why He chose to reveal Himself in the times of the Old Testament. To paraphrase C.S. Lewis, for now, we see through a glass, darkly.

Btw, calling someone vacuous is kind of berating. ;) And is also typical of people who come here to argue against Christianity. It's all part of the journey.

I will leave you with a quote from St. Augustine which is dear to me:

"Unless you believe, you will not understand."

I am absolutely comfortable in my faithlessness. I am not asking questions because I do not know the answers. I know in my mind as to why things are as they are, what I am asking is why YOU (Christians, Muslims - anybody with any type of belief in a god) have the beliefs you have. I also ask questions (which never seems to be answered by those who believe) such as "why does a god need for you to have faith". Most give answers like C S lewis, which sums it all up really. IOW, nobody knows. As for vacuous, fair enough.. ;) As for St Augustine....I have believed, and I still don't understand.. ;)

Kathianne said:
No purpose?

Yeah, well that's the big one isn't it? It's interesting re the title of this thread, especially the arrogance aspect. I have been told in the past by religious people (not just Christians, but Muslims and Hindus too) that it is arrogant to think that this world is just chance and that I could possible think otherwise is preposterous and, well, arrogant. IOW, what makes you think you are so special to think all this was some sort of cosmic accident. I flip the other way. I am one of 6 billion people on a planet, that is one of nine in our solar system, circling a star that is supposedly one of 400 million (could be more depending on who you read) in our galaxy, and our galaxy is one of supposedly 15 billion (again depending on who you read), and a god decided to pick our little corner of the Universe to make home? I don't think so, I see that as arrogance. I believe that gods were created to explain the unexplainable. As science catches up with nature, unexplainable things are becoming less of a mystery. Nature has given us cognisant thought, which in turns makes us wonder the purpose of life. Humans, being arrogant by nature, think of themselves as so important, that there MUST be more to life than our mortal life here on Earth. I don't buy it. Don't get me wrong, I wish I did. I mean, the pay off for being a Christian is huge if correct. I'd be a fool not to believe in such a thing. But, I just can't. It makes no logical sense. In saying that, I believe religions help a lot of people get through the day, so it is an important part of what/who we are to some and definitely has a place in society.

Dr Grump said:
Yeah, well that's the big one isn't it? It's interesting re the title of this thread, especially the arrogance aspect. I have been told in the past by religious people (not just Christians, but Muslims and Hindus too) that it is arrogant to think that this world is just chance and that I could possible think otherwise is preposterous and, well, arrogant. IOW, what makes you think you are so special to think all this was some sort of cosmic accident. I flip the other way. I am one of 6 billion people on a planet, that is one of nine in our solar system, circling a star that is supposedly one of 400 million (could be more depending on who you read) in our galaxy, and our galaxy is one of supposedly 15 billion (again depending on who you read), and a god decided to pick our little corner of the Universe to make home? I don't think so, I see that as arrogance. I believe that gods were created to explain the unexplainable. As science catches up with nature, unexplainable things are becoming less of a mystery. Nature has given us cognisant thought, which in turns makes us wonder the purpose of life. Humans, being arrogant by nature, think of themselves as so important, that there MUST be more to life than our mortal life here on Earth. I don't buy it. Don't get me wrong, I wish I did. I mean, the pay off for being a Christian is huge if correct. I'd be a fool not to believe in such a thing. But, I just can't. It makes no logical sense. In saying that, I believe religions help a lot of people get through the day, so it is an important part of what/who we are to some and definitely has a place in society.

I can respect that, not agree, but respect. I have my own doubts, for a myriad of reasons, all mine, not God's. My faith is not as strong as I wish. I get very mad at God, very. At the same time, I do believe there is a plan, a reason for all of us. Do I think 'God's people' are only on earth? :dunno: Admit that upfront. God is greater than the most 'certain' Christian, Jew, Muslim, android. None of us will know until the event, which cannot be shared.

Kathianne said:
I can respect that, not agree, but respect. I have my own doubts, for a myriad of reasons, all mine, not God's. My faith is not as strong as I wish. I get very mad at God, very. At the same time, I do believe there is a plan, a reason for all of us. Do I think 'God's people' are only on earth? :dunno: Admit that upfront. God is greater than the most 'certain' Christian, Jew, Muslim, android. None of us will know until the event, which cannot be shared.

We're all gonna find out one day I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back