religion Vs. arrogance

Status
Not open for further replies.
dmp said:
Malted Chocolate Caramel Pie

Chocolate graham crust covered with chocolate truffle, filled with chocolate mousse and accented with malted milk, them topped with caramel and decorated with chocolate cream.

attachment.php
Have I told you recently that I think I love you? YUM!

jillian said:
"Inspired" ..... Well, I might believe that. Or I might believe that the bible is a bunch of parables woven together to teach moral lessons.

Why would there have to have been multiple variables for a culture's spoken lore mixed with history to have made it to paper?

Because a bunch of people who never met each other or compared notes put together a singular work over the course of thousands of years without a single contradiction and with the fulfillment of every last prophecy listed over more than two millenia, with the exception of the doomsday prophecies (and most of the precursor prophecies have been fulfilled).

Hobbit said:
Because a bunch of people who never met each other or compared notes put together a singular work over the course of thousands of years without a single contradiction and with the fulfillment of every last prophecy listed over more than two millenia, with the exception of the doomsday prophecies (and most of the precursor prophecies have been fulfilled).

You have absolutely no proof of the above. You have no idea how the bible was put together pre the King James version, or its translations etc. There are no original scriptures left other than the Dead Sea Scrolls, and even those are incomplete, inconclusive and not in the bible. All you have is faith. Nothing more, nothing less...

Hobbit said:
There's plenty of evidence of God. You just don't want to admit it because the existance of God would wreck your idea of life.

Interesting comment. I have not seen one shred of evidence regarding any type of god. Only other peoples' beliefs (which is fine BTW)...

larry_davis said:
i don't know who or what god is, but if such a person or thing exsist, it obviously doesn't want us to know anything about it, otherwise we wouldn't be playing a guessing game. religion is dangerous to me, religious people often are convinced they know it all, yet have no answers, proof or can't solve anything. who's to say your god is real more than someone elses?
:whip3:

You also think you're right. Everyone thinks they're right. What we must control in society is MODES of expression. Free speech to convince is fine; violent jihad is not. The faith of the Self deluded "intellectuals" in communism and secular humanism is more damaging to our society at this juncture than religion.

Hobbit said:
If God didn't want me to know about him, he wouldn't talk to me or have written a book. And I don't think I know everything. In fact, the more I find out, the more I realize that I don't know.

Regardless of any claim to divine attribution, the Bible, The Torah, the Koran, and every other body of religious writings, are the product of human cognition. Thus they are subject to the foibles and failings of their all too human authors.

Bullypulpit said:
Regardless of any claim to divine attribution, the Bible, The Torah, the Koran, and every other body of religious writings, are the product of human cognition. Thus they are subject to the foibles and failings of their all too human authors.

Not necessarily---some can read between the "cognitive" failures and and see the universal truths therein.

Dr Grump said:
You have absolutely no proof of the above. You have no idea how the bible was put together pre the King James version, or its translations etc. There are no original scriptures left other than the Dead Sea Scrolls, and even those are incomplete, inconclusive and not in the bible. All you have is faith. Nothing more, nothing less...

You have no proof that his claims aren't accurate. You clearly have NEVER researched the history of the bible. Try educating yourself. Google is a good place to start :)

UNLESS you are on mainland China.

:D

dmp said:
You have no proof that his claims aren't accurate. You clearly have NEVER researched the history of the bible. Try educating yourself. Google is a good place to start :)

UNLESS you are on mainland China.

:D

The history of the bible is only as good as the research done on it. IMO, if Constantine hadn't converted the Eastern Roman Empire to Christianity it may never have got the foothold it did. Ditto re Mohammed and Islam. It is all in the eye of the beholder.

dilloduck said:
Not necessarily---some can read between the "cognitive" failures and and see the universal truths therein.

Universal as in applying to the human condition. And there are common threads binding all of the world's great religions which provide solid moral guidance. It is these shared characteristics which we should attend to, not the differences, which are superficial at best.

The rifts we see today between religions are the result of focusing on those differences...With the adherents each path insisting that its truth is the only and absolute truth, when nothing could be further from the truth.

The insistence that the general garment of a given religion is fit for all, is the result of human ego, and a desire to impose a given doctrine upon others. What may fit one person or group well may not fit another. And, just as the needs of given individuals or groups for religiosity may differ, so to do religions (or lack thereof) differ.

With religion, as with any other human endeavor, there will be those who wish to take advantage of the gullibility and fears of others. It is such individuals, whose interpretations of doctrine are wholly ego-driven, that sow the seeds of hatred towards those holding differing views...Towards those who somehowfail to conform with their doctrine...Anything different is wrong. It is this emphasis on the differences between the philosophical schools we call religion that gives rise to the sectarian violence we see going on around us...Catholic and Protestant...Muslim and Judeo-Christian...Hindu and Sikh...It has been the source of all religious conflicts down through the centuries, and will continue to be a festering source of conflict and violence so long as we continue to embrace these differences. It's time to grow up and put aside childish things.

Bullypulpit said:
With religion, as with any other human endeavor, there will be those who wish to take advantage of the gullibility and fears of others. It is such individuals, whose interpretations of doctrine are wholly ego-driven, that sow the seeds of hatred towards those holding differing views...Towards those who somehowfail to conform with their doctrine...Anything different is wrong. It is this emphasis on the differences between the philosophical schools we call religion that gives rise to the sectarian violence we see going on around us...Catholic and Protestant...Muslim and Judeo-Christian...Hindu and Sikh...It has been the source of all religious conflicts down through the centuries, and will continue to be a festering source of conflict and violence so long as we continue to embrace these differences.

I agree with most of the above.

Dr Grump said:
The history of the bible is only as good as the research done on it. IMO, if Constantine hadn't converted the Eastern Roman Empire to Christianity it may never have got the foothold it did. Ditto re Mohammed and Islam. It is all in the eye of the beholder.

What does Constantine have to do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back