Real Americans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jgbkab, May 3, 2009.

1. jgbkab

jgbkab Relieved

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I see the term "Real Americans" tossed around a lot and I wonder what characteristics make anyone a "realer" American than I. I was born and raised in the USA. I never claimed allegiance to another country. I've only left the country on official military business.

Some people think that it is un-American to question your country or to dissent. Some people think the opposite. Does it matter that a person lives in Hollywood and star in movies? Does it matter if some people were born in other countries and became US citizens? I never saw any test for being a Real American. What say you?

2. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,051
    I would say once they become citizens they are real Americans.

Unamerican would obviously be anything that you would do to intentionally damage this country.

Dissent and/or questioning the government's actions does not necessarily mean you are not a real American.

To me that does not mean one should abuse the privileges liberty and freedom of being able to disent to the point that it would damage the country in a manner that would or could be defined as treason.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. jgbkab

jgbkab Relieved

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    So Rod, once you commit some form of treason, you're not a real American anymore? What if you're just suspected of it?

I think that is where we get most of the Real American" or traitor talk from. People having their own individual ideals of what real is.

real (rē′əl, rēl)

adjective

1. existing or happening as or in fact; actual, true, etc.; not merely seeming, pretended, imagined, fictitious, nominal, or ostensible
    1. authentic; genuine
    2. not pretended; sincere
    3. designating wages or income as measured by purchasing power
    4. Law of or relating to permanent, immovable things real property
    5. Math. designating or of the part of a complex number that is not imaginary: all irrational and rational numbers are real numbers
    6. Optics of or relating to an image made by the actual meeting of light rays at a point
    7. Philos. existing objectively; actual (not merely possible or ideal), or essential, absolute, ultimate (not relative, derivative, etc.)

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    American movie stars are reel Americans.

5. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,233
    You could spend hours discussing "what makes a real American." I think an easier question to answer would be, "what makes a person UNamerican," and I'd answer that simply, any person that does not assimilate, or uses a hyphenated name, such as african American.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  6. jgbkab

jgbkab Relieved

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    You are entitled to your opinion. I am black and was born and raised in America. But my opinion is that someone can act un-American but nothing you say or do can make you un-American unless you choose to be.

7. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Comedians ... those are the truest to the American ideal than anyone else.

8. jgbkab

jgbkab Relieved

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Eh, maybe not the ideal American but do you agree that they are real Americans?

9. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    No, the ideal American, think about it ... nothing offends them but they do care about people. They can take an insult with a laugh, but when push comes to shove they don't back down. They don't scream when you copy their jokes (most anyway). Finally they don't see the world through rose colored glasses. It's the American dream.

10. jgbkab

jgbkab Relieved

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I think we agree that comedians aren't ideal Americans. But they are real Americans, no?