Prop 8 heads to Calif. Supreme Court

Because the PEOPLE don't want them to.

Seems pretty simple to me. It's called "democracy".
the people didn't want desegregation either. What the majority wants isn't always right!

It isn't always wrong, either, but it IS democratic.

Racial segregation in no way is comparable to sexual behavior. One is genetic. The other is behavior.
They have not proven or disproved that homosexuality is not genetics!

These same-sex marriage advocates are obviously racists since blacks in California voted overwhelmingly against same-sex marriage.

So are you sure that you are going to say that the same-sex marriage advocates are racist because they are opposed to something that blacks overwhelmingly supported?

I'll give you a moment to either confirm the above statement or retract it...

:eusa_whistle:

Okay. So using the same logic, if you are opposed to Barack Obama, then you are racist as well, since blacks overwhelmingly supported him.

:lol: GOTCHA!

"The minority is sometimes right; the majority always wrong." George Bernard Shaw

"All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression. " Thomas Jefferson

Shaw is wrong.

Jefferson does not support your argument.

Next?
"The majority, oppressing an individual, is guilty of a crime,
abuses its strength, and by acting on the law of the strongest
breaks up the foundations of society." --Thomas Jefferson to Pierre
Samuel Dupont de Nemours, 1816.

"In a democracy, the majority of the citizens is capable of exercising the most cruel oppressions upon the minority." Edmund Burke

"The minority is sometimes right; the majority always wrong." George Bernard Shaw

"All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression. " Thomas Jefferson

Shaw is wrong.

Next?

Problem with your argument is no one is being oppressed.

And I don't need to quote dead men to make my argument. Our current society is a DIRECT reflection of allowing the minority to dictate the laws to the majority.

"In a democracy, the majority of the citizens is capable of exercising the most cruel oppressions upon the minority." Edmund Burke

Right. You are one of the people mentioned in my previous post. Backwards-assed thinking has destroyed the fiber that used to bind this society.

"Capable of" doesn't mean squat. Such is not the case here. Gays possess every right under the Constitution that I do.

All the quotes in the world doesn't change the fact that the voters in California voted against it.

Doesn't matter if you or gay people agree.

If you aren't happy with the way a Democracy works, you could always move to Venezuela.

Last edited:
The only role the court would have is determining if the vote was within the framework of the State Constitution on how it is amended. They have no say on whether the Amendment itself is Constitutional since it is either part of the Constitution legally and out side the power of the Court or the method was not Constitutional and so the Amendment is void.

The people don't want it, so screw them! We'll get the judges to force them to accept it!

You mean kind of like the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s? I wonder if black people would be equal today if they had allowed Alabama to vote on it....

Because the PEOPLE don't want them to.

Seems pretty simple to me. It's called "democracy".
the people didn't want desegregation either. What the majority wants isn't always right!

I'll agree with that hypothesis! Electing you know who wasn't right, that's for damn sure! Let's start over shall we?

I wish we could, but isn't it too late? After all, Bush already served 8 years... why didn't you bring this up back in March 2001??

Shaw is wrong.

Next?

And I don't need to quote dead men to make my argument. Our current society is a DIRECT reflection of allowing the minority to dictate the laws to the majority.

Again - I refer to civil rights movements in the past. You know - women were minorities back in the early 20th century. African Americans are still minorities.... and neither of them were being oppressed - they just weren't afforded the same rights as other people... kind of like gays.

Again - who the fuck are we to tell people they can't get married? If two people love each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together, who the hell am I to say no they can't? Let them go off and be happy. Enough of this bullshit - the only people who don't want gay people to get married are homophobes.

These same-sex marriage advocates are obviously racists since blacks in California voted overwhelmingly against same-sex marriage.

So are you sure that you are going to say that the same-sex marriage advocates are racist because they are opposed to something that blacks overwhelmingly supported?

I'll give you a moment to either confirm the above statement or retract it...

Okay. So using the same logic, if you are opposed to Barack Obama, then you are racist as well, since blacks overwhelmingly supported him.

:lol: GOTCHA!

*respectfully snipped*

The opposite argument could be made that many who voted fort Obama were racist because they voted for Obama based on his color.

Again - I refer to civil rights movements in the past. You know - women were minorities back in the early 20th century. African Americans are still minorities.... and neither of them were being oppressed - they just weren't afforded the same rights as other people... kind of like gays.

Again - who the fuck are we to tell people they can't get married? If two people love each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together, who the hell am I to say no they can't? Let them go off and be happy. Enough of this bullshit - the only people who don't want gay people to get married are homophobes.

Ya who are we to make laws at all? I mean if consenting adults want to do X, how dare the Government make a law about it? You are so stupid as to be beyond ignorant.

Ya who are we to make laws at all? I mean if consenting adults want to do X, how dare the Government make a law about it? You are so stupid as to be beyond ignorant.

We have laws to protect people. You're comparing two people who are in love and want to spend the rest of their lives together to some one who wants to harm themselves and do drugs? Do you still call black people *******?

So, you wouldn't have a problem with me marrying my brother then?

I don't really care who you marry. It's none of my business. If you go back far enough, Adam & Eve were brother and sister.

I don't really care who you marry. It's none of my business. If you go back far enough, Adam & Eve were brother and sister.
Are you serious? Brother and sister? I thought that since Eve was made from Adam's rib, that made her a clone.
But on the marrying part, I can't wait to collect SS benefits after my brother dies. Maybe I should marry my mother and father to.

Forum List

Back