Prop 8 heads to Calif. Supreme Court

So, you wouldn't have a problem with me marrying my brother then?

I don't really care who you marry. It's none of my business. If you go back far enough, Adam & Eve were brother and sister.
Are you serious? Brother and sister? I thought that since Eve was made from Adam's rib, that made her a clone.
But on the marrying part, I can't wait to collect SS benefits after my brother dies. Maybe I should marry my mother and father to.

Why are you telling me this all? I don't really care about your family. Whatever yours or my moral opposition - it's irrelevant. These people love each other - so why do you want to stop them from getting married? What is it to you? How does it hurt your ability to live? If your son or daughter were gay, wouldn't you want them to be happy?

The people don't want it, so screw them! We'll get the judges to force them to accept it!

You mean kind of like the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s? I wonder if black people would be equal today if they had allowed Alabama to vote on it....

I think the law says that if you are a white guy....you are supposed to refer to "blacks" as "African American"......

Dunno if you are white or not.....but Im pretty sure you're not Bla**...errr...African American.

So, you wouldn't have a problem with me marrying my brother then?

I don't really care who you marry. It's none of my business. If you go back far enough, Adam & Eve were brother and sister.
Are you serious? Brother and sister? I thought that since Eve was made from Adam's rib, that made her a clone.
But on the marrying part, I can't wait to collect SS benefits after my brother dies. Maybe I should marry my mother and father to.

Hey....youre gonna have to start a whole incestual-polygamy thread for that kind of talk...:eusa_whistle:

The people don't want it, so screw them! We'll get the judges to force them to accept it!

You mean kind of like the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s? I wonder if black people would be equal today if they had allowed Alabama to vote on it....

I think the law says that if you are a white guy....you are supposed to refer to "blacks" as "African American"......

Dunno if you are white or not.....but Im pretty sure you're not Bla**...errr...African American.

African American is such a stupid term.

You can be white AND African American.

You can also be black and not be African American.

Hate to break it to you DavidS, but if the Country as a whole followed the proper procedures for creating an amendment and then got enough proper votes to pass it in enough States, NO MATTER WHAT THE AMENDMENT SAID, would then be Constitutional. And NO COURT would have any power to rule otherwise.

In the State of California the people have the right to amend the State Constitution by referendum. The ONLY thing the Courts can do is rule that NOW the people no longer have that right. Which would in fact be UNCONSTITUTIONAL and grounds for impeaching any Justice that so voted.

The only real question is Do the people have the right or do they not to create Amendments through the initiative process.

You do not like it? To damn bad. Move to California , become a citizen, create an initiative to amend the Constitution and get enough people to get it on the ballot and then get the votes to pass it.

Or admit you are a FASCIST.

"In a democracy, the majority of the citizens is capable of exercising the most cruel oppressions upon the minority." Edmund Burke

Right. You are one of the people mentioned in my previous post. Backwards-assed thinking has destroyed the fiber that used to bind this society.

"Capable of" doesn't mean squat. Such is not the case here. Gays possess every right under the Constitution that I do.
exactly! For one there is no place where it defines the role of marriage. So if the Prop 8 does not get thrown out in California state supreme court the could take US supreme court and argue that the US constitution overrides their amendment. For one in Article IV section 2 it states " the citizens of each state shall be entitiled to all privieges and immunities of citizen in the several states."
I would say gay marriage could be clasified as a privilage. So either another state needs to make it legal or the supreme court will legalize it. In the end it won't be illegal in California for long.

"In a democracy, the majority of the citizens is capable of exercising the most cruel oppressions upon the minority." Edmund Burke

Right. You are one of the people mentioned in my previous post. Backwards-assed thinking has destroyed the fiber that used to bind this society.

"Capable of" doesn't mean squat. Such is not the case here. Gays possess every right under the Constitution that I do.
exactly! For one there is no place where it defines the role of marriage. So if the Prop 8 does not get thrown out in California state supreme court the could take US supreme court and argue that the US constitution overrides their amendment. For one in Article IV section 2 it states " the citizens of each state shall be entitiled to all privieges and immunities of citizen in the several states."
I would say gay marriage could be clasified as a privilage. So either another state needs to make it legal or the supreme court will legalize it. In the end it won't be illegal in California for long.

Wrong again. It is still not legal to wed the same sex in 48 States that I know of. So following YOUR example the 2 States that authorize it should be forced to strike it from their laws.

The Supreme Court will not make any such ruling.

Further, using your argument since pot is not criminal in some States, one can take it to the Supreme Court if they are convicted in some State on Federal or State charges? I think not. Some States allow 14 year olds to get drivers licenses, so using your argument EVERY State must? Doesn't work that way. Wait, a better one, some States allow concealed carry permits. Using your logic we should take it to the Supreme Court and force all States to allow them.

17 States outlaw fully automatic Weapons, 33 do not. Federal laws do not. Using your logic we should take it to court and force those 17 States to allow fully automatic weapons.

Getting the idea yet peabrain?

Hate to break it to you DavidS, but if the Country as a whole followed the proper procedures for creating an amendment and then got enough proper votes to pass it in enough States, NO MATTER WHAT THE AMENDMENT SAID, would then be Constitutional. And NO COURT would have any power to rule otherwise.

In the State of California the people have the right to amend the State Constitution by referendum. The ONLY thing the Courts can do is rule that NOW the people no longer have that right. Which would in fact be UNCONSTITUTIONAL and grounds for impeaching any Justice that so voted.

The only real question is Do the people have the right or do they not to create Amendments through the initiative process.

You do not like it? To damn bad. Move to California , become a citizen, create an initiative to amend the Constitution and get enough people to get it on the ballot and then get the votes to pass it.

Or admit you are a FASCIST.

I'm sorry - you'll have to forgive the delay in my response. To get my mind to grasp such an archaic thought process takes a lot of work.

Okay, so The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was not a constitutional amendment but it outlawed segregation and allowed all races to have equal rights - including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act which allows black people to get married. Officially, there is no constitutional amendment that would allow black people the same rights as white people. There are, however, several laws including the Civil Rights Act.

Oh and uh, Constitutional Amendments can be repealed. For example the 21st amendment repeals the 18th amendment on prohibition.

The introduction of this amendment to ban gay marriage can easily be overturned by the State Supreme Court by introducing another amendment which repeals this ban and allows all homosexuals to be married. It's a bit of a work around, but it can and it will happen because most the California State Legislature supports equal rights for homosexuals as does Arnold.

Really the next step is to modify add Title VII to the 1964 Civil Rights Act which changes the wording to allow homosexuals to get married and makes it a federal law. The only way THAT can be overturned is if they overturn the entire Civil Rights Act and something tells me that they won't do that.

If believing everyone deserves equal rights irregardless of race, religion, gender or sexual orientation makes me a fascist.... well than sieg heil! But I think you need to actually look up the meaning of that before you apply that label to someone... you're a tinsy-winsy bit off.

Last edited:

Wrong again. It is still not legal to wed the same sex in 48 States that I know of. So following YOUR example the 2 States that authorize it should be forced to strike it from their laws.

Further, using your argument since pot is not criminal in some States, one can take it to the Supreme Court if they are convicted in some State on Federal or State charges? I think not. Some States allow 14 year olds to get drivers licenses, so using your argument EVERY State must? Doesn't work that way. Wait, a better one, some States allow concealed carry permits. Using your logic we should take it to the Supreme Court and force all States to allow them.

17 States outlaw fully automatic Weapons, 33 do not. Federal laws do not. Using your logic we should take it to court and force those 17 States to allow fully automatic weapons.

The federal government can also prosecute people for marijuana where it is decriminalized, they usually choose not to.

The federal government can also prosecute people for marijuana where it is decriminalized, they usually choose not to.

Which destroys your entire reasoning on this having anything to do with the US Supreme Court.

Marriage itself is not a privilege. Marriage is a right according to United States law. In order to "classify" gay marriage as a privilege, you would need to completely re-work all existing laws for marriage in the entire country. It's far less work to just change some wording in current marriage laws to allow homosexuals the right to marry. And by the way, I will bring up once again, that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was not a state issue. It was a federal law.

Marriage itself is not a privilege. Marriage is a right according to United States law. In order to "classify" gay marriage as a privilege, you would need to completely re-work all existing laws for marriage in the entire country. It's far less work to just change some wording in current marriage laws to allow homosexuals the right to marry. And by the way, I will bring up once again, that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was not a state issue. It was a federal law.

And this has nothing to do with Civil Rights. Nor are gays a new race. They are a deviant minority that is protected exactly the same as the non deviant majority. They have lost no rights nor had any civil rights violated.

Which destroys your entire reasoning on this having anything to do with the US Supreme Court.
why it shows no state make a law that goes against a federal law. So therefore if the supreme court says that gay marriage is part of our civil rights, California cannot make a law denying that civil right.
Like I said before no where does the constitution define marriage but it does state no state cannot deny privilage or immunities, or life, and liberty.
Think about Roe v Wade, they made it legal because of the 14th amendment, you don't think they can make gay marriage legal because of the same amendment.

And this has nothing to do with Civil Rights. Nor are gays a new race. They are a deviant minority that is protected exactly the same as the non deviant majority. They have lost no rights nor had any civil rights violated.

Deviant?? Homosexuals are deviant because they are attracted to the same gender?? You've got to be kidding me. That's absolutely hilarious. How old are you, Sarge? 200? I bet you think slavery should be re-enacted in the US, don't you? Those deviant African Americans - us white people give them jobs and they want to leave that??

And again, you're completely missing my point - which isn't a surprise. You do NOT need a federal amendment to give homosexuals the right to marry because marriage is ALREADY a right for all Americans. The federal defense of marriage act is unconstitutional because it violates the rights of about 10% of Americans who are homosexual.

When that federal bill was passed, it deprived homosexuals of the right to marry. In Loving v. Virginia, marriage is defined as a right based upon the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

The United State Supreme Court in 1967 wrote when passing judgment in Loving v. Virginia that:

Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival.... To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law.

This argument can be applied to same-sex marriage as the Supreme Court defined that marriage was a basic civil right.

Last edited:

Deviant?? Homosexuals are deviant because they are attracted to the same gender?? You've got to be kidding me. That's absolutely hilarious. How old are you, Sarge? 200? I bet you think slavery should be re-enacted in the US, don't you? Those deviant African Americans - us white people give them jobs and they want to leave that??

And again, you're completely missing my point - which isn't a surprise. You do NOT need a federal amendment to give homosexuals the right to marry because marriage is ALREADY a right for all Americans. The federal defense of marriage act is unconstitutional because it violates the rights of about 10% of Americans who are homosexual.

When that federal bill was passed, it deprived homosexuals of the right to marry. In Loving v. Virginia, marriage is defined as a right based upon the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

The United State Supreme Court in 1967 wrote when passing judgment in Loving v. Virginia that:

Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival.... To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law.

This argument can be applied to same-sex marriage as the Supreme Court defined that marriage was a basic civil right.

The argument is what IS marriage. And the States are free to define it as between a MAN and a WOMAN. Which is what California has done. Your Court case does not apply to Homosexuals. In fact the weight of History is against your claim. It has been understood and has been codified in LAW to mean between a man and a woman. Your court case establishes that race can not disregard that. It does NOT change the basic foundation of what a Marriage is understood to be.

Or next, since all men have a right to marriage, why can not a man Marry a sheep? Using your law the only thing stopping that is LAWS. If all men have a right to marriage no matter what, then since the age of consent in some States is 14 the a 50 year old can marry any 14 year old he wants. Through out the Country. Why, cause one state says 14 is the age of consent and the other 49 would be refusing to honor that using your logic and that of Luissiana.

The argument is what IS marriage. And the States are free to define it as between a MAN and a WOMAN.

Marriage is a spiritual or legal union between two adults. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Which is what California has done. Your Court case does not apply to Homosexuals.

It applies to all men with the word "man" being interpreted as all people since women can get married. This is a simple interpretation of the words from the Supreme Court. While the case was relevant to interracial marriage, why do you feel a black man and a white woman or visa versa have a RIGHT to be married and a black man and a white man or visa versa don't?

In fact the weight of History is against your claim. It has been understood and has been codified in LAW to mean between a man and a woman. Your court case establishes that race can not disregard that. It does NOT change the basic foundation of what a Marriage is understood to be.

The foundation of marriage? Marriage was around a lot longer than any monothestic religion or any "Bible" that stole the idea from other civilizations and cultures. Ancient Roman Emperors married other men. So your idea for the foundation of marriage, which I assume to be rooted in the "Old Testament" is not the actual foundation of marriage. It might be what YOU think is OK, but you have a very old-fashioned view of the world. You're not very much in touch with what's really going on.

Or next, since all men have a right to marriage, why can not a man Marry a sheep? Using your law the only thing stopping that is LAWS. If all men have a right to marriage no matter what, then since the age of consent in some States is 14 the a 50 year old can marry any 14 year old he wants. Through out the Country. Why, cause one state says 14 is the age of consent and the other 49 would be refusing to honor that using your logic and that of Luissiana.

If a 16 year old girl and a 50 year old man get married today in a state that allows 16 year old girls to get married, it's legal. Whether or not you agree with the marriage is irrelevant. I'm not Agna - I don't believe children should have the right to get married. I believe adults should have the right to irregardless of race, religion, gender or sexual preference.

The argument is what IS marriage. And the States are free to define it as between a MAN and a WOMAN. Which is what California has done. Your Court case does not apply to Homosexuals. In fact the weight of History is against your claim. It has been understood and has been codified in LAW to mean between a man and a woman. Your court case establishes that race can not disregard that. It does NOT change the basic foundation of what a Marriage is understood to be.

And those men you speak wanting to be with young children? Are already pushing for such laws..

The North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA) is a New York City and San Francisco-based unincorporated organization in the United States that advocates the liberalisation of laws against sexual relations between adult and minor males - resolving to "end the oppression of men and boys who have freely chosen mutually consenting relationships". NAMBLA also calls for "the adoption of laws that both protect children from unwanted sexual experiences and at the same time leave them free to determine the content of their own sexual experiences."

North American Man/Boy Love Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

David you wrote..

If a 16 year old girl and a 50 year old man get married today in a state that allows 16 year old girls to get married, it's legal. Whether or not you agree with the marriage is irrelevant. I'm not Agna - I don't believe children should have the right to get married. I believe adults should have the right to irregardless of race, religion, gender or sexual preference.

Why should they not get married, they have the right to have abortions in some states without parental consent why not marriage? I’m curious and abortion is a very grown up decison why not marriage?

ETA:

And adding to that if a child can be tried as an adult when he or she commits murder at the age of 11 why not grant them the right to marry?

http://www.wpxi.com/news/18760897/detail.html

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;1081792 said:

And those men you speak wanting to be with young children? Are already pushing for such laws..

The North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA) is a New York City and San Francisco-based unincorporated organization in the United States that advocates the liberalisation of laws against sexual relations between adult and minor males - resolving to "end the oppression of men and boys who have freely chosen mutually consenting relationships". NAMBLA also calls for "the adoption of laws that both protect children from unwanted sexual experiences and at the same time leave them free to determine the content of their own sexual experiences."

North American Man/Boy Love Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So what, why if we legalize gay marriage would we then have to listen to Nambla?

Forum List

Back