Portland bakery fires employees for denying black woman service after closing

So evidently firing employees just doing their job is easier than standing up to a person higher than them on the pity pole complaining.

Portland bakery fires employees for denying black woman service after closing

In one statement, "Back To Eden Bakery" says that according to its own surveillance video, a black woman named "Lillian", who is well known in the area as a "professional equity activist", entered at 9:06 p.m., after the bakery's closing time. Employees had also turned off the "Open" sign, but several customers (all white) who had already ordered were still inside. Two other white women who went to the bakery two minutes before "Lillian", and were also informed that the business was closed for the night.

So zero evidence of racism, but the employees were fired anyway.

Naturally they are also trying to blame the "alt-right" for messing with them being douches.

Our business is under full assault by the Alt-Right and people fueled by their own white supremacy. We have been getting hundreds of calls, emails, DM’s, negative reviews and vitriolic comments from people all over the globe with no connection to Portland or our business. The original post was removed because the number of trolls that were flocking to it was more than we could effectively manage. We took screenshots and know that many others did as well. These comments are not simply critical of our actions (we can handle that) but they are meant to be intimidating and dehumanizing to everyone involved. Our employees and the community that is attempting to support and/or actually dialogue with us is feeling unsafe and we have an obligation to them. We are anti-censorship and support everyone’s freedom of speech but will not allow any of our platforms to be a repository of hate.

Let's be clear here, a person goes to a bakery at closing and the employees tell them everything is shut down and they're closed for the night. Other people were already turned away before them. But they left the doors unlocked and upon closing time, SHOULD have locked them, unlocking the door as needed to leave stragglers out.
  • WHITE PERSON: Walks away realizing they waited too long, don't want to inconvenience others and will have to come back tomorrow.
  • BLACK PERSON: Feels offended and maybe discriminated. Calls company next day and files complaint knowing she can play the race card.
Bakery APOLOGIZES.
Bakery throws employees under the bus to show they are repentant hopefully fearfully avoiding racial lawsuit.
Employees lose jobs, income, unemployment, goes on record.

We now live in an age where employees are scapegoats that an employer wants to pay minimum wage to, no benefits, then wants them to make all kinds of concessions, right up to not even knowing if you are going home at 9PM, 9:30 or 10PM., so you can't even plan your life, and then will throw you under the bus for any slight reason with no loyalty rather than defend, all the while insisting employees be absolutely loyal to and follow a whole litany of company-favoring guidelines.

What was this about "white privilege?"

"In one statement, the bakery admitted that the employees did not necessarily do anything wrong, "this is more about how a black woman was made to feel" at the business." :rolleyes:

This is the world you libs have created.

I had no hand in this creation. Keep trying, Mary.

Every time you call someone racist, or support calling someone racist, for some bullshit reasons, like, not selling them baked goods after closing,

you are creating this world.

Every time you call someone racist, or support calling someone racist, for some bullshit reasons, like, not selling them baked goods after closing,

Good thing I haven't. Anymore bullshit you wish to make up about me?

And i thought i had a problem with being called liberal/leftist
You must piss in more cheerios than i do lol

Can't be bothered to go though your posts to find examples, so, no.

My experience has been that a business will normally lock it's doors at closing time. Anyone that makes it inside before the doors are locked get service. There may be a "last call" to buy before they close their cash registers.
The problem with that policy is that by law, if customers are in a store, the doors must remain unlocked. Its mostly a fire regulation issue.

So, because of that, anyone who enters AFTER a clearly posted business hours and told that the business is closed for the day will expect to not be waited upon.

No doubt. It is far easier to just make up shit and tuck tail instead.

No, From what I recall, you seem to be a fairly standard issue lib, thus, I am fairly certainly that you support the standard lib abuse of the Race Card.

Which is what leads to bullshit like this incident.

I'm just not feeling the motivation to go though your posts to prove it today.

My experience has been that a business will normally lock it's doors at closing time. Anyone that makes it inside before the doors are locked get service. There may be a "last call" to buy before they close their cash registers.
The problem with that policy is that by law, if customers are in a store, the doors must remain unlocked. Its mostly a fire regulation issue. So, because of that, anyone who enters AFTER a clearly posted business hours and told that the business is closed for the day will expect to not be waited upon.

Unless the black customer says they weren't told "right." ITMT, I know for a fact that at least in some situations, you CAN lock the front door with customers inside. It's no different from still having employees inside. There are always other ways out that the employees know in the case of an event. Otherwise, they should have posted an employee at the from entrance to greet customers still trying to enter after closing to TELL them they were closed and turned them away. The bakery could have EASILY apologized and STATED THAT to the lady, give her a free cake and did not have to fire anyone. I hope the employees sue. Shows once again especially in retail that employers have NO regard for people and treat them like dirt thinking they can be easily replaced.

The problem with that policy is that by law, if customers are in a store, the doors must remain unlocked. Its mostly a fire regulation issue. So, because of that, anyone who enters AFTER a clearly posted business hours and told that the business is closed for the day will expect to not be waited upon.

Unless the black customer says they weren't told "right." ITMT, I know for a fact that at least in some situations, you CAN lock the front door with customers inside. It's no different from still having employees inside. There are always other ways out that the employees know in the case of an event. Otherwise, they should have posted an employee at the from entrance to greet customers still trying to enter after closing to TELL them they were closed and turned them away. The bakery could have EASILY apologized and STATED THAT to the lady, give her a free cake and did not have to fire anyone. I hope the employees sue. Shows once again especially in retail that employers have NO regard for people and treat them like dirt thinking they can be easily replaced.

Except that the employees did nothing wrong.

They should not apologize.

Your points about how shitty they are to their employees is correct.

But any admission of guilt on their part, is throwing the employees under the bus.

No, From what I recall, you seem to be a fairly standard issue lib, thus, I am fairly certainly that you support the standard lib abuse of the Race Card.

Wrong again, dipshit.

But any admission of guilt on their part, is throwing the employees under the bus.

I never said the employees did anything wrong! Even the company admitted that. It was the company that apologized, not the two fired.

Wrong again, dipshit.

I don't recall you showing any signs of divergence from the Party Line, but time will tell. I will try to remember to check, on the occasions that issues are discussed.

OR point out any Race Card plays, as predicted.

I never said the employees did anything wrong! Even the company admitted that. It was the company that apologized, not the two fired.

An apology implies admission of wrong doing.

The company should stand by their employees, who did nothing wrong and tell the complainer that company policy is to not serve anyone who shows up after closing time.

Give the lady anything but a slap in the face, and you are validating her bad behavior.

Wrong again, dipshit.

I don't recall you showing any signs of divergence from the Party Line, but time will tell. I will try to remember to check, on the occasions that issues are discussed.

And what party would that be? You don't know much about me and what you recall is just nonsense.

Wrong again, dipshit.

And what party would that be? You don't know much about me and what you recall is just nonsense.

It's a figure of speech to denote conformity of thought.

I'm finding it hard to credit that you did not know that.

My position remains the same.

Forum List

Back