Portland bakery fires employees for denying black woman service after closing

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
So evidently firing employees just doing their job is easier than standing up to a person higher than them on the pity pole complaining.

Portland bakery fires employees for denying black woman service after closing

In one statement, "Back To Eden Bakery" says that according to its own surveillance video, a black woman named "Lillian", who is well known in the area as a "professional equity activist", entered at 9:06 p.m., after the bakery's closing time. Employees had also turned off the "Open" sign, but several customers (all white) who had already ordered were still inside. Two other white women who went to the bakery two minutes before "Lillian", and were also informed that the business was closed for the night.

So zero evidence of racism, but the employees were fired anyway.

Naturally they are also trying to blame the "alt-right" for messing with them being douches.

Our business is under full assault by the Alt-Right and people fueled by their own white supremacy. We have been getting hundreds of calls, emails, DM’s, negative reviews and vitriolic comments from people all over the globe with no connection to Portland or our business. The original post was removed because the number of trolls that were flocking to it was more than we could effectively manage. We took screenshots and know that many others did as well. These comments are not simply critical of our actions (we can handle that) but they are meant to be intimidating and dehumanizing to everyone involved. Our employees and the community that is attempting to support and/or actually dialogue with us is feeling unsafe and we have an obligation to them. We are anti-censorship and support everyone’s freedom of speech but will not allow any of our platforms to be a repository of hate.

Soon businesses will have to do away with business hours because it limits minorities access or something.

"In one statement, the bakery admitted that the employees did not necessarily do anything wrong, "this is more about how a black woman was made to feel" at the business." :rolleyes:

We long for the day when all businesses have corporate strategies based on feelings!

I would have fired them for turning away money.
After closing? How many places do you know that praise when employees keep store open past hours?
I ran a Pizza Hut a while back. If i would have got caught doing that? Written up or fired.
Hek, if we were to enter an order past our scheduled time, corporate would have been calling and bitching me out.

After closing? How many places do you know that praise when employees keep store open past hours?
I ran a Pizza Hut a while back. If i would have got caught doing that? Written up or fired.
Hek, if we were to enter an order past our scheduled time, corporate would have been calling and bitching me out.
Yes even after closing I still would have served anyone as long as customers are in the establishment.

My experience has been that a business will normally lock it's doors at closing time. Anyone that makes it inside before the doors are locked get service. There may be a "last call" to buy before they close their cash registers.

You will see a lot of this since professional equity activists have a cause. Black people can now tell businesses when they open and close for the benefit of black people.

Their business hours are odd to me. I can't think of a single bakery in my area that is open that late. It's a good thing b/c the last thing I need is to be able to walk a block and pick up a Burnt Almond Torte after dinner.

Well as a white male of some age this has happened to me maybe 50 times over the years, showing up a couple minutes after closing and being denied service.

Not once did I ever feel offended, I just chastised myself for not getting there earlier and came back the next day, never posted on social media or called the papers.

I guess this is just the differences between and white male and a black female.

If you're scheduled for 40 hours, and working late puts you into overtime, it would be the last check you pick up in a franchise.

My experience has been that a business will normally lock it's doors at closing time. Anyone that makes it inside before the doors are locked get service. There may be a "last call" to buy before they close their cash registers.

Most insurance companies won't let you count out/reconcile tills if a non-employee is there or if the door is unlocked. If you get robbed, you're not covered.

The dumbass employees forgot the golden rule, lock the front doors if you be closed.

It may be a small store with only a couple of employees trying to close. We never locked the doors when a non-employee was still there. Against policy. Couldn't open the safe if a non-employee was in the building. Insurance has a list of criteria to cover a claim. If you forget to lock the safe and someone smashes your plate glass window to rob you, the window is covered but the money is not. Small businesses cannot afford the risk.

I used to do that at a radio station. Was supposed to shut the station down at midnight but sometimes I didn't feel like it and stayed up playing bonus tracks for whoever was still listening. No commercials scheduled, free radio. :eusa_dance:

Never got "caught", if anybody cared. I knew the Program Director was already asleep.

If you're scheduled for 40 hours, and working late puts you into overtime, it would be the last check you pick up in a franchise.

Most insurance companies won't let you count out/reconcile tills if a non-employee is there or if the door is unlocked. If you get robbed, you're not covered.

Thank you. Salient points. It's always more complex than the superficially emotional.

I used to count tills all the time while open. It was a McD's in the 1980's and we had up to nine cashiers at a time when buzy...

Forum List

Back