POLL: Conservatives & Progressives: What is your goal here?

What is the point of personally attacking the other "side"?

• No real reason, it's just fun, I'm not serious, they're okay

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • They are evil and I want them to hurt in any way possible

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • One day my side will win, so I'm fucking with them now

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I have severe self esteem issues and this provides temporary comfort

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I think I'm supposed to because other members of my tribe do it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mango, big time, seriously, holy shit.

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
I have learned over the course of two decades of forum participation, that an open and honest debate with progressives is a pipe dream. They are, hands down, the single most close-minded people on the planet. So, you ask after My goals for participation on sites like this and that is simple.

There may actually be people who first show up on forums like this one, actually looking to express their ideas and have a meaningful conversation. Of course, after a week of seeing what really happens, many of them just leave to continue their search for what it is they were looking for. My purpose, is to provide a counter-point to anything the progressives on this or any site have to say. People need to view, read, and think about all aspects of an issue. A person who considers other points of view without feeling threatened by them is a well rounded individual and it is My goal to put My views out their for them to consider.

I have long given up on the idiots on the left and in truth, though I do try to fight the urge, they really don't deserve much more than ridicule and mocking.

I didn't vote as none of the options fit My goals, though I think mango ir probably closest.
Yeah, I'm all about the mango.

Anyway, I appreciate your response. Tell me this: Do you feel that when the left wing and the right wing are butting heads with their views of things, that between the two the whole picture is being presented? I think that a more accurate picture would include a larger piece, a middle that has both elements of each wing and its own elements as well.
On this forum or forums in general?

On this forum, I would definitively and emphatically say no. I think it was the first reply to this thread that expressed what really goes on here, and typifies what happens. They attend to the flame zone as if it is the be all, end all of this forum. They take the attitudes and meanness to the other topics. So, whenever someone posts a thread, regardless of topics, the replies start right in with the insults. They bypass any attempt at thinking about what is being asked and just go for the throat. The attitudes is pretty much as that poster said. The rest of the forum is nothing and they're just here to laugh and insult their 'target de jour'. for that week or day.
No, what really concerns me is that, at least in my opinion, this forum (and any similar forum) is becoming less and less an anomaly and more and more a microcosm. This kind of behavior is saturating our culture now, everywhere. It infests popular culture, sports, entertainment, everything. I'm seeing/hearing fewer and fewer voices of moderation, and that does worry me.
And who is it that are the trend setters in sports? How about ESPN and this guy, can't get anymore left and anti American than this jackass...

ESPN Host Accuses NFL Of Being Political… The Reason Why Is Insane

And who is it that runs the entertainment industry? Again, the left, who also is responsible for pop culture, and it is ever increasingly, non stop, always pushing the boundaries of liberalism, immorality, hate whitey, anything illegal or perverted is good, and anti Americanism. Then top that off with a massive democrat propaganda trash machine pumping out their lies and bile around the clock on numerous channels and types of media, and the cherry on the cake is always a ripe bloody head of our president being held up ISIS style by some leftist whore, or our president being stabbed in efigy nightly in a bloody knife fest by leftist, and if after all that you still can't understand why NORMAL, patriotic, fly over country Americans that love their country have had a belly full of this trash, then you, Mac, seriously need a wake up call.
I actually don't disagree with that for the most part. I'm the guy who started the thread "The Left has completely lost its shit". But the Right has its own faults, and if it thinks it can somehow "beat" the Left, it needs a wakeup call too. Neither the Right nor the Left represent this country. There are more people who don't belong to either tribe.

I would disagree. I think the right represents the country more than the left.

Read these posts on USMB. The left are constantly telling us how capitalism sucks, how much better people in other countries have it, how much happier they are and have more leisure time to spend. They believe that when people make money, it should be handed over to them for their social programs. They believe in rewarding failure and penalizing success.

Did our founders believe any of those things?

There are a lot of utopias for the left, yet they never pack their bags and move there. But there is only one United States of America. Once they ruin that, there is no other USA to move to. That's why we on the right are trying to preserve this country for as long as humanly possible.

No, what really concerns me is that, at least in my opinion, this forum (and any similar forum) is becoming less and less an anomaly and more and more a microcosm. This kind of behavior is saturating our culture now, everywhere. It infests popular culture, sports, entertainment, everything. I'm seeing/hearing fewer and fewer voices of moderation, and that does worry me.
It sure can seem that way, but I don't really think that our society (USA) as a whole actually live and talk to each other this way. On the few occasions I've heard it happen, usually someone gets a bloodied nose or lip for mouthing off and it wasn't that long ago I thought I was going to do some jail time for punching out a clown who thought he could insult people with impunity. However, 99% of the time, people express their views and then carry on with their day. I do not think that this or any forum is indicative of normal life.

But with the news cycles like they are, I can see where it can look that way.
You would disagree, then, that it's increasingly seeping into our culture?
Well, I think I would qualify that. It isn't so much as 'seeping' into our culture as being taught wholesale by our institutions of higher learning. Right now, it seems to be limited to the pampered class who feel some kind of guilt for their parents success. It is conceivable that these kids will further the decay of civil discourse, but I think I won't live to see it completely degrade to that. There are still enough mature citizens who simply won't put up with it and will fight back hard enough to either stop it, or end it. By end it, I mean on an individual basis.

Though there is quickly become a case for a real shooting civil war.
Y'know, what got me thinking about this wasn't even a national news item, it was my favorite clients, an incredibly sweet little couple in their late 70's.

We were sitting in my office one day a few months ago, talking about some news item, and out of nowhere Mary fucking WENT OFF about the topic. I mean, it was like having Mark freakin' Levin sitting in front of me. Her husband was agreeing with everything, nodding his head, getting more and more worked up. I had never seen that from them before.

Anyway, that's when it started hitting me that this stuff is really reaching street level to a point I haven't seen before.
Well, hopefully, that is the exception rather than the rule. Incidents like that come from being told your opinion doesn't matter (not addressing you but society in general) and that you are just some kind of 'lemming' for even having the audacity to listen to those who don't follow the mainstream thought. An example would be the way people treat those who listen to Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, or Mark Levin. Particularly Limbaugh. The progressives need to marginalize those people, so they make them out to be nothing more than right-wing automatons going
It sure can seem that way, but I don't really think that our society (USA) as a whole actually live and talk to each other this way. On the few occasions I've heard it happen, usually someone gets a bloodied nose or lip for mouthing off and it wasn't that long ago I thought I was going to do some jail time for punching out a clown who thought he could insult people with impunity. However, 99% of the time, people express their views and then carry on with their day. I do not think that this or any forum is indicative of normal life.

But with the news cycles like they are, I can see where it can look that way.
You would disagree, then, that it's increasingly seeping into our culture?
Well, I think I would qualify that. It isn't so much as 'seeping' into our culture as being taught wholesale by our institutions of higher learning. Right now, it seems to be limited to the pampered class who feel some kind of guilt for their parents success. It is conceivable that these kids will further the decay of civil discourse, but I think I won't live to see it completely degrade to that. There are still enough mature citizens who simply won't put up with it and will fight back hard enough to either stop it, or end it. By end it, I mean on an individual basis.

Though there is quickly become a case for a real shooting civil war.
Y'know, what got me thinking about this wasn't even a national news item, it was my favorite clients, an incredibly sweet little couple in their late 70's.

We were sitting in my office one day a few months ago, talking about some news item, and out of nowhere Mary fucking WENT OFF about the topic. I mean, it was like having Mark freakin' Levin sitting in front of me. Her husband was agreeing with everything, nodding his head, getting more and more worked up. I had never seen that from them before.

Anyway, that's when it started hitting me that this stuff is really reaching street level to a point I haven't seen before.
Would you say this was the exception rather than the rule?
Well, I think it's a trend, so it seems to be becoming less of an exception. I could certainly be wrong, but it just seems like it's everywhere, and reaching where it hasn't before.

I definitely agree that there is a large group who are sick of being mocked, and yeah, they sure as hell voted in 2016. You can't be mocked in a ballot box.

On this forum, I would definitively and emphatically say no. I think it was the first reply to this thread that expressed what really goes on here, and typifies what happens. They attend to the flame zone as if it is the be all, end all of this forum. They take the attitudes and meanness to the other topics. So, whenever someone posts a thread, regardless of topics, the replies start right in with the insults. They bypass any attempt at thinking about what is being asked and just go for the throat. The attitudes is pretty much as that poster said. The rest of the forum is nothing and they're just here to laugh and insult their 'target de jour'. for that week or day.
And who is it that are the trend setters in sports? How about ESPN and this guy, can't get anymore left and anti American than this jackass...

And who is it that runs the entertainment industry? Again, the left, who also is responsible for pop culture, and it is ever increasingly, non stop, always pushing the boundaries of liberalism, immorality, hate whitey, anything illegal or perverted is good, and anti Americanism. Then top that off with a massive democrat propaganda trash machine pumping out their lies and bile around the clock on numerous channels and types of media, and the cherry on the cake is always a ripe bloody head of our president being held up ISIS style by some leftist whore, or our president being stabbed in efigy nightly in a bloody knife fest by leftist, and if after all that you still can't understand why NORMAL, patriotic, fly over country Americans that love their country have had a belly full of this trash, then you, Mac, seriously need a wake up call.
I actually don't disagree with that for the most part. I'm the guy who started the thread "The Left has completely lost its shit". But the Right has its own faults, and if it thinks it can somehow "beat" the Left, it needs a wakeup call too. Neither the Right nor the Left represent this country. There are more people who don't belong to either tribe.
I disagree again. I think the right does represent what is best about America... patriotism, love of country, tell the truth, obey the law, have some morals, be of good character... all tenets of the conservative ideology.

The left is just the opposite of all that, and it's un-American. The left identifies more now with illegal aliens and fanatical muslims from half way around world than they do legal American citizens.
By "represent", I mean our current opinions.

My assumption is that, you feel if you can win enough elections and implement enough of your policies, the resulting success would change hearts & minds on the issues in your favor - is that fair?
That is actually being played out today. Simply look at what has happened over the past 20 years or so. The GOP (even though I think they have serious problems) have made huge inroads into politics. They own a majority of Governorships, they own a huge majority of State legislatures, they own a majority of the US House, and US Senate, and they have an R in the Presidency (thought its debatable about how conservative he is). In fact, the Democrat party (predominately progressive) has been reduced to a regional party. They have huge populations on the coasts and some isolated pockets around major cities, but for the most part, the majority of America has been slowly rejecting their philosophy as just to radical.

I disagree again. I think the right does represent what is best about America... patriotism, love of country, tell the truth, obey the law, have some morals, be of good character... all tenets of the conservative ideology.

The left is just the opposite of all that, and it's un-American. The left identifies more now with illegal aliens and fanatical muslims from half way around world than they do legal American citizens.

My assumption is that, you feel if you can win enough elections and implement enough of your policies, the resulting success would change hearts & minds on the issues in your favor - is that fair?
Well wouldn't you say the conservatives have been winning quite a few elections since 2010? The left has lost over a thousand seats of power.

But no, all this winning hasn't changed any leftists minds. In fact quite the opposite is true, it's just triggered them into some type of frenzied melt down. They were having an absolute shit fit that Trump and his supporters wouldn't accept the outcome of the election, providing Hitlery won, but look at them now. Their hypocrisy is epic and mind numbing.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm all about the mango.

Anyway, I appreciate your response. Tell me this: Do you feel that when the left wing and the right wing are butting heads with their views of things, that between the two the whole picture is being presented? I think that a more accurate picture would include a larger piece, a middle that has both elements of each wing and its own elements as well.

Read these posts on USMB. The left are constantly telling us how capitalism sucks, how much better people in other countries have it, how much happier they are and have more leisure time to spend. They believe that when people make money, it should be handed over to them for their social programs. They believe in rewarding failure and penalizing success.

There are a lot of utopias for the left, yet they never pack their bags and move there. But there is only one United States of America. Once they ruin that, there is no other USA to move to. That's why we on the right are trying to preserve this country for as long as humanly possible.
Well, regarding the hardcore Left, I can't disagree. I've reached the conclusion that, yeah, they really don't like this country and they have become emboldened to admit it. But, while they're pretty well represented here, they're still the minority within the group that is Left of center. Or maybe some of them just say what they say to fit within their tribe, I don't know.

It's difficult to say for sure where most of the country is. The two ends are so loud and aggressive now that, at least for some of us, aligning with either one of them just ain't an attractive option.

Well, regarding the hardcore Left, I can't disagree. I've reached the conclusion that, yeah, they really don't like this country and they have become emboldened to admit it. But, while they're pretty well represented here, they're still the minority within the group that is Left of center. Or maybe some of them just say what they say to fit within their tribe, I don't know.

It's difficult to say for sure where most of the country is. The two ends are so loud and aggressive now that, at least for some of us, aligning with either one of them just ain't an attractive option.
civil%20war_zpsur0ny5a1.jpg

Well wouldn't you say the conservatives have been winning quite a few elections since 2010? The left has lost over a thousand seats of power.

But no, all this winning hasn't changed any leftists minds. In fact quite the opposite is true, it's just triggered them into some type of frenzied melt down. They were having an absolute shit fit that Trump and his supporters wouldn't accept the outcome of the election, providing Hitlery won, but look at them now. Their hypocrisy is epic and mind numbing.
Yeah, no doubt, your point is being played out in elections, at least for now. But, speaking as someone who leans Left, I think that part of it is the fact that so many on the hardcore Left are fairly, uh, repulsive. Above and beyond the individual issues, they're just not very attractive right now. How much that factors into this, I don't know.

I can't disagree. In truth, I don't run into many radicalized leftists in real life. They have been regulated to places like this and the leadership of the Democrat party (LOL, sorry, couldn't resist). They get a lot of attention because they keep upping the outrageous things they are doing to stay in the headlines. They get full cooperation from the activist media as well, so it seems more prevailent than it really is. Kind of like the left and their on demand core of outraged progressive groups they trot out when they want America to think they are being wronged.

The election was stolen. The majority did not get their way. There is no other rational way to look at it, Snowflakes, so start dealing with the fact that the majority hates this asshole in the Oval Office (a day here or there) and did not want him or his host of criminals running the place. What can be done to undo him (he's pretty good at it himself) will be done. Count on it.

That is actually being played out today. Simply look at what has happened over the past 20 years or so. The GOP (even though I think they have serious problems) have made huge inroads into politics. They own a majority of Governorships, they own a huge majority of State legislatures, they own a majority of the US House, and US Senate, and they have an R in the Presidency (thought its debatable about how conservative he is). In fact, the Democrat party (predominately progressive) has been reduced to a regional party. They have huge populations on the coasts and some isolated pockets around major cities, but for the most part, the majority of America has been slowly rejecting their philosophy as just to radical.
Yeah, that could be, see post 87.

The election was stolen. The majority did not get their way. There is no other rational way to look at it, Snowflakes, so start dealing with the fact that the majority hates this asshole in the Oval Office (a day here or there) and did not want him or his host of criminals running the place. What can be done to undo him (he's pretty good at it himself) will be done. Count on it.

What a perfect example of the left. We had an election the same way we've been doing it since the founding of this country, and the left calls that "stealing an election."

Yeah, no doubt, your point is being played out in elections, at least for now. But, speaking as someone who leans Left, I think that part of it is the fact that so many on the hardcore Left are fairly, uh, repulsive. Above and beyond the individual issues, they're just not very attractive right now. How much that factors into this, I don't know.
Whatever do you mean?

helen-thomas.jpg

:biggrin:

Ya know, the sad part is, you're not even smart enough to know how STUPID you sound.

Your brain has been pumped so full of garbage that all you can do is regurgitate some line of pure horse shit.

Get a clue.

How much factors into it? They took over your party. I would say quite a bit.

Last edited:

I can't disagree. In truth, I don't run into many radicalized leftists in real life. They have been regulated to places like this and the leadership of the Democrat party (LOL, sorry, couldn't resist). They get a lot of attention because they keep upping the outrageous things they are doing to stay in the headlines. They get full cooperation from the activist media as well, so it seems more prevailent than it really is. Kind of like the left and their on demand core of outraged progressive groups they trot out when they want America to think they are being wronged.
I live in a smaller state (it's kinda purple, leaning blue), and I have a dear friend who has always been (what I would call) a mainstream Democrat, and we've always agreed on a majority of the issues. But, beginning around the time Trump announced, she went completely nuts. Two, three, four over-the-top posts and memes on Facebook a day, and some of them are REALLY nasty in attacking Trump and the GOP.

A few months ago I made the mistake of (mildly) disagreeing with her on one, and she went completely ape shit, threatening to "unfriend" me (really?). It was pretty wild, and I've seen her do that with others.

I haven't done THAT again.

I live in a smaller state (it's kinda purple, leaning blue), and I have a dear friend who has always been (what I would call) a mainstream Democrat, and we've always agreed on a majority of the issues. But, beginning around the time Trump announced, she went completely nuts. Two, three, four over-the-top posts and memes on Facebook a day, and some of them are REALLY nasty in attacking Trump and the GOP.

A few months ago I made the mistake of (mildly) disagreeing with her on one, and she went completely ape shit, threatening to "unfriend" me (really?). It was pretty wild, and I've seen her do that with others.

Take a stand (for once), Mac in the middle.

Take a stand (for once), Mac in the middle.
Okay, fence sitter.

A few months ago I made the mistake of (mildly) disagreeing with her on one, and she went completely ape shit, threatening to "unfriend" me. It was pretty wild, and I've seen her do that with others.

Well, it's not My place, but I usually break off relationships with people like that. I've walked away from someone I admire as an editor and writing mentor because of how unhinged she has become with regard to Trump. Prior, she was reasonable to talk with regarding policies of both parties, now there is no talking to her at all, so I don't. You'll have to chose what you want to do about it, but honestly, this isn't actually rare. Just look at the students in Washington State. They're attacking one of the most progressive professors in the country for not agreeing with them. I call it, "Eating their own".

Well Mac, seeing as how you called a pretty decent conservative politician a "winger, " and lumped him in as though he's the same kind of SHIT that the shooter was is... well... stupid.

So you list yourself in your list of hey look at me everybody as white, and damn proud of it, but expect to be taken seriously, or given any respect all for the rest of the list?

That about sum up your position, as you are calling out the OP?
You got a problem with white people being proud of who they are? Well aren't you just the typical garden variety dumbass progtard racist. GFY, you pathetic leftist turd...

racist_zpsejcstwbq.jpg

Then you'll lose that bet. But then, you're an admitted loser.

I am white. I'm also a veteran, as was my father and grandfathers.

My son was wounded in Iraq in '06 in the West Anbhar Province.

We all served with many brave and dedicated people of all races and backgrounds.

You are a disgrace to the uniform.
............... :lol:

If it wasn't for hyperbole and insipid verbal garbage, you wouldn't have a thing to say.

You're a pathetic brain dead prog, and I suspect massive liar.

Idiot.

You are a disgrace to the uniform. And that flag you have stuck up your pathetic ass isn't going to change that. I'm just grateful to God, that as angry as my son could be for what he saw happen to his friends, that he didn't turn out to be anything like you. He is a good man, and a true patriot to his country, because he is nothing like you.

I wonder if this Mac person has any principles. Always ranting on about partisan this that and the other. I take it you believe in the "golden middle" road?

Actually, he says what he says BECAUSE he has principles.

....as opposed to all those who prattle on the way they do conforming to group think but having no fucking clue at all as to actual political principles.

Forum List

Back