POLL: Conservatives & Progressives: What is your goal here?

What is the point of personally attacking the other "side"?

• No real reason, it's just fun, I'm not serious, they're okay

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • They are evil and I want them to hurt in any way possible

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • One day my side will win, so I'm fucking with them now

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I have severe self esteem issues and this provides temporary comfort

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I think I'm supposed to because other members of my tribe do it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mango, big time, seriously, holy shit.

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
i was hoping when i came in this would be some good political discussions but for the most part it's trump sucks, no you do. while i can ignore the people who do that that's a shitload of people in this group which makes for interesting gaps in conversations i suppose, but it's the only way to filter out much of the noise.

after doing that there simply isn't much discussion of current events it's still more like which side can convince the other they are wrong and who has the most conspiracies today.

oh, and trump sucks.

i'll keep holding out for adult convo and try to get less pulled into the sideshows that i have been pulled into.

i was hoping when i came in this would be some good political discussions but for the most part it's trump sucks, no you do. while i can ignore the people who do that that's a shitload of people in this group which makes for interesting gaps in conversations i suppose, but it's the only way to filter out much of the noise.
Yup.

If I sense there is an actual, normal conversation there with a winger, I'll try. Maybe. There are a few who are simply a waste of time, both ends. But a while back I realized that I'm under no obligation to either enable their behaviors or participate in their little online third-grade slap fights. So I just let them flail away until they get tired and go away.

I do reserve the right, however, to point at what they say and say "see?" They're very willing to illustrate my points for me. Regularly.

:rolleyes-41:

Last edited:
Yup.

If I sense there is an actual, normal conversation there with a winger, I'll try. Maybe. There are a few who simply a waste of time, both ends. But a while back I realized that I'm under no obligation to either enable their behaviors or participate in their little online third-grade slap fights. So I just let them flail away until they get tired and go away.

I do reserve the right, however, to point at what they say and say "see?" They're very willing to illustrate my points for me. Regularly.

when someone goes overboard insulting the *other* side - ignore. they're 12 years old mentally on a good day and simply not worth the frustrations in trying to talk to them.

however, there are some good people "on the other side" of my own views i enjoy talking to and finding that "middle/common ground" to start from. when you lead off with nothing but your differences you'll never see the good in the other side. lead off on where you agree and build up from there.

Yup.

If I sense there is an actual, normal conversation there with a winger, I'll try. Maybe. There are a few who simply a waste of time, both ends. But a while back I realized that I'm under no obligation to either enable their behaviors or participate in their little online third-grade slap fights. So I just let them flail away until they get tired and go away.

when someone goes overboard insulting the *other* side - ignore. they're 12 years old mentally on a good day and simply not worth the frustrations in trying to talk to them.

however, there are some good people "on the other side" of my own views i enjoy talking to and finding that "middle/common ground" to start from. when you lead off with nothing but your differences you'll never see the good in the other side. lead off on where you agree and build up from there.
There's something stopping many, though. It has to be related to ego or self esteem, something like that. They appear to be literally afraid to give an inch, to put forth any effort in finding the tiniest piece of common ground, to just be fundamentally decent to anyone who may disagree with them.

I find the psychology of hardcore partisan ideology absolutely freaking fascinating (who the hell knows why), and that particular behavior is at the top.

The problem is, this is a relatively small minority of our society - most of us are willing to be decent and normal - but they're the loudest and have the most energy and (therefore) influence. And look at where we are. That's no coincidence.

Yup.

There's something stopping many, though. It has to be related to ego or self esteem, something like that. They appear to be literally afraid to give an inch, to put forth any effort in finding the tiniest piece of common ground, to just be fundamentally decent to anyone who may disagree with them.

I find the psychology of hardcore partisan ideology absolutely freaking fascinating (who the hell knows why), and that particular behavior is at the top.

The problem is, this is a relatively small minority of our society - most of us are willing to be decent and normal - but they're the loudest and have the most energy and (therefore) influence. And look at where we are. That's no coincidence.
i actually started using the phrase "normalizing the extreme" long before it became popular but that's what happening. both sides are hugely guilty of it. most talk show hosts feed off it.

tucker for example brings in the biggest idiot he can find and tells them a thing or two. first, that person represents a very small base of people who think in that manner. why are they newsworthy? mostly cause they're stupid and a "prime example" of the other side. "normal" if you will for a "progressive liberal". people now get so caught up in this being the way "progressive liberals" are it's on; so to speak.

the left turns around and does the same. they find something horrible and pretend it applies to all on the other side. "deplorables" for examples. while it may represent a few, many who voted trump were simply tired of her and "business as usual".

but there's a lot of fantastic ideas on both sides that are pushed back decades by our insane bickering we do as adults while never in fact seeing we'd never allow our children to behave in this manner. so many are just guilty of seeing only the worst in what they don't understand and will refuse for whatever reason they hold close to put those notions down and take people on their own as the individuals they in fact are.

apply a stereotype to a person so you don't have to understand them. all too common.

Last edited:
To post in the Flame Zone and laugh.

Upstairs is mostly a wasteland of partisans more interested in reinforcing their tribalism and calling the other side names rather than engaging in any serious discussion.

/---- The libtards want to confiscate the hard earned money of others so they don't have to work. The Conservatives say No Way Jose. What else is there to discuss?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Yup.

i actually started using the phrase "normalizing the extreme" long before it became popular but that's what happening. both sides are hugely guilty of it. most talk show hosts feed off it.

tucker for example beings in the biggest idiot he can find and tells them a thing or two. first, that person represents a very small base of people who think in that manner. why are they newsworthy? mostly cause they're stupid and a "prime example" of the other side. "normal" if you will for a "progressive liberal". people now get so caught up in this being the way "progressive liberals" are it's on; so to speak.

the left turns around and does the same. they find something horrible and pretend it applies to all on the other side. "deplorables" for examples. while it may represent a few, many who voted trump were simply tired of her and "business as usual".

but there's a lot of fantastic ideas on both sides that are pushed back decades by our insane bickering we do as adults while never in fact seeing we'd never allow our children to behave in this manner. so many are just guilty of seeing only the worst in what they don't understand and will refuse for whatever reason they hold close to put those notions down and take people on their own as the individuals they in fact are.

apply a stereotype to a person so you don't have to understand them. all too common.
Holy crap, nice to see someone else think that way about Carlson. I've come to thinking of him as the Jerry Springer of Politics.

Yeah, this is a pretty deep reservoir of elements, this is a mix of political, cultural and psychological components. We're clearly becoming more tribal, and I assume the internet is playing a large role. Members of a tribe now have their own safe spaces from which they can both draw their transparently biased "news and information" without ever having to expose themselves to contrary thought.

Here's what worries me about your statement "there's a lot of fantastic ideas on both sides": What if this tribal behavior is beginning to affect that, what if it is metastasizing? What if this environment is causing us to lose our fundamental intellectual curiosity as a society?

Yup.

tucker for example beings in the biggest idiot he can find and tells them a thing or two. first, that person represents a very small base of people who think in that manner. why are they newsworthy? mostly cause they're stupid and a "prime example" of the other side. "normal" if you will for a "progressive liberal". people now get so caught up in this being the way "progressive liberals" are it's on; so to speak.

Holy crap, nice to see someone else think that way about Carlson. I've come to thinking of him as the Jerry Springer of Politics.

Yeah, this is a pretty deep reservoir of elements, this is a mix of political, cultural and psychological components. We're clearly becoming more tribal, and I assume the internet is playing a large role. Members of a tribe now have their own safe spaces from which they can both draw their transparently biased "news and information" without ever having to expose themselves to contrary thought.

Here's what worries me about your statement "there's a lot of fantastic ideas on both sides": What if this tribal behavior is beginning to affect that, what if it is metastasizing? What if this environment is causing us to lose our fundamental intellectual curiosity as a society?
everything comes and goes in phases. history repeats itself quite often if you look carefully.

anti-war
hate the establishment
racial tensions
terror attacks
muslim issues

is that 2017 or 1970? take away today's faces the problems are the same but we keep getting in our own way of resolving them. but in time, and it's starting to happen now, things will calm down. people get tired of windmills that never change and find something else to occupy their time and in a few years what they'd die for today they may not even notice.

human nature.

the only horrible thing about all this is if we repeat as we did in the early 70s that puts disco, bell bottoms and white polyesther suits in our future.

then again we have the manbun now - maybe that's todays response to yesterdays issues.

Yup.

everything comes and goes in phases. history repeats itself quite often if you look carefully.

anti-war
hate the establishment
racial tensions
terror attacks
muslim issues

is that 2017 or 1970? take away today's faces the problems are the same but we keep getting in our own way of resolving them. but in time, and it's starting to happen now, things will calm down. people get tired of windmills that never change and find something else to occupy their time and in a few years what they'd die for today they may not even notice.

human nature.

the only horrible thing about all this is if we repeat as we did in the early 70s that puts disco, bell bottoms and white polyesther suits in our future.

then again we have the manbun now - maybe that's todays response to yesterdays issues.
:laugh:

I hope you're right.

The wild card here is the internet, which is clearly exacerbating this. At least now. Maybe we'll find a way to mitigate that.

anti-war
hate the establishment
racial tensions
terror attacks
muslim issues

human nature.

I hope you're right.

The wild card here is the internet, which is clearly exacerbating this. At least now. Maybe we'll find a way to mitigate that.
i used to think until last night when having a convo with a friend (who i can't get to join this place cause he hates the idiots hogging up most of the convos) where i said in the last 50 years no other timeframe has seen the changes we've seen.

he pointed out 1840-1940. you go from shanty houses and dirt roads to driving your buick over to the clevers house with indoor plumbing, grocery stores, television and so forth. look how much someone living to be 100 saw in those years also.

like anything new, it will wear off and people will move onto something else. the internet will stay as our form of communication and connectivity but sooner or later you'll just get tired of responding to idiots and they go away also and you come to find that when you lose their chatter, you lose a lot of that bad perspective in the world.

it likely went on before the internet but who could tell unless you were there with the person being an idiot. but then the "idiots" couldn't feed their conspiracies with other online conspiracies. time will vet that out.

it always does.

but i do wish it would hurry.

anti-war
hate the establishment
racial tensions
terror attacks
muslim issues

human nature.

I hope you're right.

i used to think until last night when having a convo with a friend (who i can't get to join this place cause he hates the idiots hogging up most of the convos) where i said in the last 50 years no other timeframe has seen the changes we've seen.

he pointed out 1840-1940. you go from shanty houses and dirt roads to driving your buick over to the clevers house with indoor plumbing, grocery stores, television and so forth. look how much someone living to be 100 saw in those years also.

like anything new, it will wear off and people will move onto something else. the internet will stay as our form of communication and connectivity but sooner or later you'll just get tired of responding to idiots and they go away also and you come to find that when you lose their chatter, you lose a lot of that bad perspective in the world.

it likely went on before the internet but who could tell unless you were there with the person being an idiot. but then the "idiots" couldn't feed their conspiracies with other online conspiracies. time will vet that out.

it always does.

but i do wish it would hurry.
Agreed, let's get to it.

And that's the most hopeful message I've seen in a while.

Gee, now where did they draw that conclusion from???

Common sense. if you can't get her preggers, it ain't sex.

Great. See if you can get a girl to do that while you're at work, and when you get fired, tell the unemployment office you were not having sex and see if they give you a check. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin: Let me ask: if you found out your wife or GF was doing that with another guy, it would't bother you because she was not having sex???

Forum List

Back