POLL: Conservatives & Progressives: What is your goal here?

What is the point of personally attacking the other "side"?

• No real reason, it's just fun, I'm not serious, they're okay

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • They are evil and I want them to hurt in any way possible

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • One day my side will win, so I'm fucking with them now

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I have severe self esteem issues and this provides temporary comfort

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I think I'm supposed to because other members of my tribe do it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mango, big time, seriously, holy shit.

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
I wonder if this Mac person has any principles. Always ranting on about partisan this that and the other. I take it you believe in the "golden middle" road?

Actually, he says what he says BECAUSE he has principles.

....as opposed to all those who prattle on the way they do conforming to group think but having no fucking clue at all as to actual political principles.
Thanks. It always fascinates me how wingers just don't understand that.

I'm not really sure how being an obedient partisan is a demonstration of "principle".

I actually don't disagree with that for the most part. I'm the guy who started the thread "The Left has completely lost its shit". But the Right has its own faults, and if it thinks it can somehow "beat" the Left, it needs a wakeup call too. Neither the Right nor the Left represent this country. There are more people who don't belong to either tribe.

I would disagree. I think the right represents the country more than the left.

Read these posts on USMB. The left are constantly telling us how capitalism sucks, how much better people in other countries have it, how much happier they are and have more leisure time to spend. They believe that when people make money, it should be handed over to them for their social programs. They believe in rewarding failure and penalizing success.

Did our founders believe any of those things?

There are a lot of utopias for the left, yet they never pack their bags and move there. But there is only one United States of America. Once they ruin that, there is no other USA to move to. That's why we on the right are trying to preserve this country for as long as humanly possible.
Well, regarding the hardcore Left, I can't disagree. I've reached the conclusion that, yeah, they really don't like this country and they have become emboldened to admit it. But, while they're pretty well represented here, they're still the minority within the group that is Left of center. Or maybe some of them just say what they say to fit within their tribe, I don't know.

It's difficult to say for sure where most of the country is. The two ends are so loud and aggressive now that, at least for some of us, aligning with either one of them just ain't an attractive option.
I can't disagree. In truth, I don't run into many radicalized leftists in real life. They have been regulated to places like this and the leadership of the Democrat party (LOL, sorry, couldn't resist). They get a lot of attention because they keep upping the outrageous things they are doing to stay in the headlines. They get full cooperation from the activist media as well, so it seems more prevailent than it really is. Kind of like the left and their on demand core of outraged progressive groups they trot out when they want America to think they are being wronged.
I live in a smaller state (it's kinda purple, leaning blue), and I have a dear friend who has always been (what I would call) a mainstream Democrat, and we've always agreed on a majority of the issues. But, beginning around the time Trump announced, she went completely nuts. Two, three, four over-the-top posts and memes on Facebook a day, and some of them are REALLY nasty in attacking Trump and the GOP.

A few months ago I made the mistake of (mildly) disagreeing with her on one, and she went completely ape shit, threatening to "unfriend" me. It was pretty wild, and I've seen her do that with others.

I haven't done THAT again.
Well, it's not My place, but I usually break off relationships with people like that. I've walked away from someone I admire as an editor and writing mentor because of how unhinged she has become with regard to Trump. Prior, she was reasonable to talk with regarding policies of both parties, now there is no talking to her at all, so I don't. You'll have to chose what you want to do about it, but honestly, this isn't actually rare. Just look at the students in Washington State. They're attacking one of the most progressive professors in the country for not agreeing with them. I call it, "Eating their own".
That's where ideology essentially trumps (sorry) reason and pragmatism.

I see no benefit whatsoever in personally attacking anyone. Especially over political POV's. And honestly to read it constantly is boring, and disgusting.
There has to be a reason for the behavior, though. A clear-thinking adult knows that insulting, mocking and attacking another person isn't going to change that person's mind, so the goal has to be something else. And I'm not talking about just USMB, either. This is literally cultural now. It's everywhere.

Then their goal, whether they realize it or not, is to make themselves feel better by attacking the opposition.

I see no benefit whatsoever in personally attacking anyone. Especially over political POV's. And honestly to read it constantly is boring, and disgusting.
There has to be a reason for the behavior, though. A clear-thinking adult knows that insulting, mocking and attacking another person isn't going to change that person's mind, so the goal has to be something else. And I'm not talking about just USMB, either. This is literally cultural now. It's everywhere.

I agree. And I won't ''listen'' to anyone attacking me.....or others. All I see is the attack. Want my attention, and for me to give thought to what you have to say? Talk to me in a decent way.

I agree. And I won't ''listen'' to anyone attacking me.....or others. All I see is the attack. Want my attention, and for me to give thought to what you have to say? Talk to me in a decent way.
Yeah, my little brain my not work properly, but when I see an insult, immediately the first thing that pops to mind is the motivation behind the insult. The words or inference or point are essentially irrelevant.

I used to be a conservative. I voted for Reagan, twice. So, I understand how conservatism lures in the weak-minded with stories about how nothing is ever your fault, and how you never have to take responsibility for anything, or do anything except hate the right people, listen to TheParty, and obey TheParty without ever questioning them.

I grew out of that phase and escaped the cult. Because I did, I now serve as a message of hope to other conservatives. You are not obligated to stay in the conservative eternal-victim cult forever. I'm proof that there is a way out of that nightmare.

(That's one reason why I attract so much blind sputtering hatred from the conservatives here. There's nobody a cultist hates more than someone who has left the cult, an apostate.)

I used to be a conservative. I voted for Reagan, twice. So, I understand how conservatism lures in the weak-minded with stories about how nothing is ever your fault, and how you never have to take responsibility for anything, or do anything except hate the right people, listen to TheParty, and obey TheParty without ever questioning them.

I grew out of that phase and escaped the cult. Because I did, I now serve as a message of hope to other conservatives. You are not obligated to stay in the conservative eternal-victim cult forever. I'm proof that there is a way out of that nightmare.

(That's one reason why I attract so much blind sputtering hatred from the conservatives here. There's nobody a cultist hates more than someone who has left the cult, an apostate.)
They probably get angry with you because such a high percentage of your posts are precisely the kind of nasty personal insults that inspired this thread.

I don't know what you are actually trying to accomplish. My assumption is that the behavior provides you with some kind of temporary self-esteem boost, and that the fourth answer down in the poll would be appropriate for you and many others.

Of course, that goes for such people on both ends of the spectrum, one of the many ways in which they are very similar.

Yeah, my little brain my not work properly, but when I see an insult, immediately the first thing that pops to mind is the motivation behind the insult. The words or inference or point are essentially irrelevant..
Now that's just dumb
And actually, all kidding aside, it really is.
So when someone insults you, you take it seriously and get angry?

So when someone insults you, you take it seriously and get angry?.
No. And even if they start with Hey, you useless shibag cock-sucking faggot asshole, I still read their post and skip over the insults. It's what adults do.
So you don't take insults seriously, yet my post was "just dumb".

Okie dokie.

No. And even if they start with Hey, you useless shibag cock-sucking faggot asshole, I still read their post and skip over the insults. It's what adults do.

Okie dokie.
It was dumb. Read over the insults and between the lines. It's an adult thing.

Okie dokie.
I find motivations and behaviors fascinating. It's not required that you do as well.

I actually don't disagree with that for the most part. I'm the guy who started the thread "The Left has completely lost its shit". But the Right has its own faults, and if it thinks it can somehow "beat" the Left, it needs a wakeup call too. Neither the Right nor the Left represent this country. There are more people who don't belong to either tribe.

Read these posts on USMB. The left are constantly telling us how capitalism sucks, how much better people in other countries have it, how much happier they are and have more leisure time to spend. They believe that when people make money, it should be handed over to them for their social programs. They believe in rewarding failure and penalizing success.

There are a lot of utopias for the left, yet they never pack their bags and move there. But there is only one United States of America. Once they ruin that, there is no other USA to move to. That's why we on the right are trying to preserve this country for as long as humanly possible.
Well, regarding the hardcore Left, I can't disagree. I've reached the conclusion that, yeah, they really don't like this country and they have become emboldened to admit it. But, while they're pretty well represented here, they're still the minority within the group that is Left of center. Or maybe some of them just say what they say to fit within their tribe, I don't know.

It's difficult to say for sure where most of the country is. The two ends are so loud and aggressive now that, at least for some of us, aligning with either one of them just ain't an attractive option.
I can't disagree. In truth, I don't run into many radicalized leftists in real life. They have been regulated to places like this and the leadership of the Democrat party (LOL, sorry, couldn't resist). They get a lot of attention because they keep upping the outrageous things they are doing to stay in the headlines. They get full cooperation from the activist media as well, so it seems more prevailent than it really is. Kind of like the left and their on demand core of outraged progressive groups they trot out when they want America to think they are being wronged.
I live in a smaller state (it's kinda purple, leaning blue), and I have a dear friend who has always been (what I would call) a mainstream Democrat, and we've always agreed on a majority of the issues. But, beginning around the time Trump announced, she went completely nuts. Two, three, four over-the-top posts and memes on Facebook a day, and some of them are REALLY nasty in attacking Trump and the GOP.

A few months ago I made the mistake of (mildly) disagreeing with her on one, and she went completely ape shit, threatening to "unfriend" me. It was pretty wild, and I've seen her do that with others.

Well, it's not My place, but I usually break off relationships with people like that. I've walked away from someone I admire as an editor and writing mentor because of how unhinged she has become with regard to Trump. Prior, she was reasonable to talk with regarding policies of both parties, now there is no talking to her at all, so I don't. You'll have to chose what you want to do about it, but honestly, this isn't actually rare. Just look at the students in Washington State. They're attacking one of the most progressive professors in the country for not agreeing with them. I call it, "Eating their own".

I agree that people have went NUTS with this past election. I've had family & friends go bezerk over it like I've never seen before. Normally politics was never an issue......whether we agreed or not....it just was and was ok. I blocked a few on FB just because I was tired of seeing what they posted....but kept them as 'friends' because we were before the election & hoped to again. But they unfriended me just because I had commented that even Republicans are entitled to their opinions & shouldn't be chastised for it, just as Democrats do. (trying to keep peace between 2 family members of opposing sides) and BOY did I get told. And the worst offenders, that I know are from the left.

Okie dokie.
I find motivations and behaviors fascinating. It's not required that you do as well.
I find truths (and decent arguments) fascinating. They could come from the Devil Himself and I wouldn't give a flying fuck. Nor do I care if they try to insult me.

I agree that people have went NUTS with this past election. I've had family & friends go bezerk over it like I've never seen before. Normally politics was never an issue......whether we agreed or not....it just was and was ok. I blocked a few on FB just because I was tired of seeing what they posted....but kept them as 'friends' because we were before the election & hoped to again. But they unfriended me just because I had commented that even Republicans are entitled to their opinions & shouldn't be chastised for it, just as Democrats do. (trying to keep peace between 2 family members of opposing sides) and BOY did I get told. And the worst offenders, that I know are from the left.
When the right steals an election, it upsets the left. Give it time.

They probably get angry with you because such a high percentage of your posts are precisely the kind of nasty personal insults that inspired this thread.

^^^ Triggered

If you're going to pull off your "Unlike all you awful people who have all these personality flaws, which I don't share, I am so perfect", you can't have meltdowns like that.

Now, tell everyone more about their multiple personality flaws, while simultaneously crying crocodile tears about insults, you poor thing.

Now, being that I value honesty, I'd much rather talk to an honest partisan who insults me than a smarmy weasel like you.

^^^ Triggered

If you're going to pull off your "Unlike all you awful people who have all these personality flaws, which I don't share, I am so perfect", you can't have meltdowns like that.

Now, tell everyone more about their multiple personality flaws, while simultaneously crying crocodile tears about this insults, you poor thing.

You might want to tone down your stinking hypocrite routine just a 'tad. That's one way the partisans here are a lot more honest than you.
Yet another great example, thanks.

I continue to wonder what you think such behavior actually accomplishes.

Forum List

Back