Pit bulls are 6% of the national dog population yet they accounted for 70% of 2017 fatal dog attacks

Same old.......my pit bull is so gentle with my kids

Usually muttered after he rips the face off some child

You hear that about people too.

A man goes bezerk and chops up his whole family. Then they interview the neighbors afterwards and they always say "he was a quiet man".

They catch Ted Bundy, interview his mum, "he was a great kid"

Ted Bundy was a pit bull
Right up to biting off a girls face

But yeah absolutely no reason to feel uneasy about having them around your kids.
I don't have any pit bulls and never have. However, I know several families that do and one breeder. They have never had a problem with there pit bulls. I did a lot of investigation before I got our current dog and learned a couple of interesting things about this breed.

First and foremost, Pit Bulls love people and they expect love in return. Unfortunately, many people get pit bulls for home security, to guard the store, or warehouse without understanding their nature. They get them as young dogs, put them in a home or business alone for many hours or days with little human contact which to a Pit Bull or many other dogs is torture. Worse yet some believe they need to "condition" these dogs to make them mean so as be a good watch dog or guard dog only to find they are neither. They then end up in a dog pound then transferred from one rescue shelter to another because adult Pit Bulls are not valued as household pets, primary due to their reputation. Eventually a family adopts the animal but unfortunately, months or years of abuse can't be easily erased and they are often not suitable as a family pet.

Dogs being pack animals need contact and affection. The family becomes the pack and one person, usually the family member that cares most for the animal becomes the leader of the pack. Dogs need this. If you deny this and subject them to isolation and mistreatment, you are likely to have vicious animal.

If you want a pit bull, get a puppy where you know it's history and raise it with all the love and attention it craves and it will reward you with undying love and loyalty.

Bullshit. Pitbulls were bred for one purpose and that is to fight.
Not so.

Some pit bulls were selected and bred for their fighting ability which has been outlaw for over a century in most countries. However, Pit Bulls today are specifically bred for work and companionship. These dogs have long been popular family pets, noted for their gentleness, affection and loyalty.

Even those Pit Bulls bred to fight other animals were not prone to aggressiveness toward people. Dogs used for fighting needed to be routinely handled by people; therefore aggression toward people was not tolerated. Any dog that behaved aggressively toward a person was culled, or killed, to avoid passing on such an undesirable trait. Research on pet dogs confirms that dog aggressive toward other dogs are no more likely to direct aggression toward people than dogs that aren’t aggressive to other dogs.

In short, Pit Bulls make good pets. However, when acquiring any dog, you should be aware of it's history or be prepared to deal with an abused animal which always has the potential for vicious behavior.

Position Statement on Pit Bulls

I respectfully disagree. I believe that Pit Bulls are a menace and any parent who thinks their children are safe around them needs to have their head examined.
All dogs are a menace. German shepherds, labs, huskies..all will kill and eat people.

Intelligent people don't think that dogs are babysitters for children..and don't leave little kids alone in a room with a dog or multiple dogs (even worse) that can kill them. Any more than you put a little kid into a pen with a cow and a calf that can kill them.

But we have a right to have our pets. I think people who think that they have the right to tell other people what pets they can have need to have their head examined.

But yeah absolutely no reason to feel uneasy about having them around your kids.
I don't have any pit bulls and never have. However, I know several families that do and one breeder. They have never had a problem with there pit bulls. I did a lot of investigation before I got our current dog and learned a couple of interesting things about this breed.

First and foremost, Pit Bulls love people and they expect love in return. Unfortunately, many people get pit bulls for home security, to guard the store, or warehouse without understanding their nature. They get them as young dogs, put them in a home or business alone for many hours or days with little human contact which to a Pit Bull or many other dogs is torture. Worse yet some believe they need to "condition" these dogs to make them mean so as be a good watch dog or guard dog only to find they are neither. They then end up in a dog pound then transferred from one rescue shelter to another because adult Pit Bulls are not valued as household pets, primary due to their reputation. Eventually a family adopts the animal but unfortunately, months or years of abuse can't be easily erased and they are often not suitable as a family pet.

Dogs being pack animals need contact and affection. The family becomes the pack and one person, usually the family member that cares most for the animal becomes the leader of the pack. Dogs need this. If you deny this and subject them to isolation and mistreatment, you are likely to have vicious animal.

If you want a pit bull, get a puppy where you know it's history and raise it with all the love and attention it craves and it will reward you with undying love and loyalty.

Not so.

Some pit bulls were selected and bred for their fighting ability which has been outlaw for over a century in most countries. However, Pit Bulls today are specifically bred for work and companionship. These dogs have long been popular family pets, noted for their gentleness, affection and loyalty.

Even those Pit Bulls bred to fight other animals were not prone to aggressiveness toward people. Dogs used for fighting needed to be routinely handled by people; therefore aggression toward people was not tolerated. Any dog that behaved aggressively toward a person was culled, or killed, to avoid passing on such an undesirable trait. Research on pet dogs confirms that dog aggressive toward other dogs are no more likely to direct aggression toward people than dogs that aren’t aggressive to other dogs.

In short, Pit Bulls make good pets. However, when acquiring any dog, you should be aware of it's history or be prepared to deal with an abused animal which always has the potential for vicious behavior.

I respectfully disagree. I believe that Pit Bulls are a menace and any parent who thinks their children are safe around them needs to have their head examined.
All dogs are a menace. German shepherds, labs, huskies..all will kill and eat people.

Intelligent people don't think that dogs are babysitters for children..and don't leave little kids alone in a room with a dog or multiple dogs (even worse) that can kill them. Any more than you put a little kid into a pen with a cow and a calf that can kill them.

But we have a right to have our pets. I think people who think that they have the right to tell other people what pets they can have need to have their head examined.

I'm not suggesting that your dogs be taken away and euthanized. What I'd like to see is for the breed itself to die out and go extinct. With so many dog breeds to choose from I don't see any trait that makes Pits so remarkable that it's worth the risk they obviously pose.

Not so.

All, I can say is that has not been my experience and it is contrary to the position of the ASPCA, American Veterinary Medical Association, and the CDC.

Yeah I guess the outrageous statistics are just a coincidence
The CDC says the statistic is meaningless, because it is totally built to ER technicians and fake press who have no way of knowing what breed the dog is.

Not so.

All, I can say is that has not been my experience and it is contrary to the position of the ASPCA, American Veterinary Medical Association, and the CDC.

The CDC says the statistic is meaningless, because it is totally built to ER technicians and fake press who have no way of knowing what breed the dog is.

Even if the breed is misidentified half the time, that still means that Pits are responsible for 35% of the total fatal attacks. 35% out of hundreds of breeds.

Not so.

I'm not suggesting that your dogs be taken away and euthanized. What I'd like to see is for the breed itself to die out and go extinct. With so many dog breeds to choose from I don't see any trait that makes Pits so remarkable that it's worth the risk they obviously pose.
Pit bulls will eventually give way to social pressures and insurance companies that won't cover them

Not so.

Tough shit. The risk isn't a real risk, it's just your own abject fear based on ignorance. It has no basis in fact. Pits are no more dangerous than any other powerful dog with a prey drive. If there were hundreds of german shepherds running around in poor neighborhoods, then the *dangerous* breed would be German Shepherds. If there were hundreds of Rotties running around, the *dangerous* dogs would be rotties. If hundreds of Golden fucking Retrievers were running around (the only dogs that have ever offered to bite me in my whole, long life have been Golden Retrievers) then it would be Golden Retrievers who pose the threat.

All the dogs have different traits they're bred for. Rotties were war dogs, for pete's sakes, they were bred to take down humans. Great Pyrenees are bred to fight, and kill, bears and wolves.

They're all potentially dangerous. A pit is no more potentially dangerous than any of the others.

Not so.

Even if the breed is misidentified half the time, that still means that Pits are responsible for 35% of the total fatal attacks. 35% out of hundreds of breeds.

Nope. The statistics are meaningless. That's why the CDC says it's meaningless.

Not so.

It's not just that they're misidentified. It's that the stats are compiled using news articles, and new articles don't cover all the attacks.
You need to read the CDC disclaimer instead of idiotically continuing to yammer about it.

Nope. The statistics are meaningless. That's why the CDC says it's meaningless.

feelz.jpg

Not so.

Tough shit. The risk isn't a real risk, it's just your own abject fear based on ignorance. It has no basis in fact. Pits are no more dangerous than any other powerful dog with a prey drive. If there were hundreds of german shepherds running around in poor neighborhoods, then the *dangerous* breed would be German Shepherds. If there were hundreds of Rotties running around, the *dangerous* dogs would be rotties. If hundreds of Golden fucking Retrievers were running around (the only dogs that have ever offered to bite me in my whole, long life have been Golden Retrievers) then it would be Golden Retrievers who pose the threat.

All the dogs have different traits they're bred for. Rotties were war dogs, for pete's sakes, they were bred to take down humans. Great Pyrenees are bred to fight, and kill, bears and wolves.

They're all potentially dangerous. A pit is no more potentially dangerous than any of the others.
Bull Shit

I grew up in an era when German Shepherds were the most popular breed
Most were not even on a leash

No where close to the carnage to people and other pets from Pit Bulls

Here's a great documentary on the subject. It's a bit long and I'm sure close minded people won't watch it but who knows, maybe posting it here will save a life.

Here's a great documentary on the subject. It's a bit long and I'm sure close minded people won't watch it but who knows, maybe posting it here will save a life.

Canadian idiocy.

No, you aren't saving lives by making people afraid of dogs. You're just establishing your believe that anything you find *scary* should be outlawed...regardless of whether or not there's an actual threat.

The reality is, dogs can kill people. Get over it. Avoid ghettos, where black people like to let their vicious dogs run loose.

Canadian idiocy.

No, you aren't saving lives by making people afraid of dogs. You're just establishing your believe that anything you find *scary* should be outlawed...regardless of whether or not there's an actual threat.

The reality is, dogs can kill people. Get over it. Avoid ghettos, where black people like to let their vicious dogs run loose.

Oh, I see. When it comes to black people, statistics matter and do reflect a pattern of behavior. I agree. But not pit bulls, no. The statistics are lies.

Canadian idiocy.

Given the long history of viscous attacks, people are right to be scared of the breed

Insurance companies are a dollar and cents business. They want no part of insuring a pit bull.

Canadian idiocy.

Oh, I see. When it comes to black people, statistics matter and do reflect a pattern of behavior. I agree. But not pit bulls, no. The statistics are lies.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that there are packs of pits running loose in black neighborhoods...and that almost all of those busted for dog fighting are minorities.

Forum List

Back