Oxford University boss says it is 'unfortunate' that some students 'claim a right not to be offended’

Haha, correct. You can do one of two things. Not explain yourself and lose the debate or try and explain yourself and attempt to win the debate
It seems like the perception that you've won the debate is very important to you. I'll let you have it.

Haha, correct. You can do one of two things. Not explain yourself and lose the debate or try and explain yourself and attempt to win the debate
And believing you have won an online debate gets you.................what?

You're a funny little concatenation of ones and zeros.

People's right to not be offended? It extends no farther than my right to be offensive.

Legally speaking yes I agree. But generally speaking it depends on the setting. I as an employer have a right to discipline employees who offend other employees or customers. Same goes for schools and other environments.

As a society if we determine that people have a "right" to not be offended, we are essentially saying there is no right of free speech, since the offendee would be given the power to stop the conversation.

Legally speaking yes I agree. But generally speaking it depends on the setting. I as an employer have a right to discipline employees who offend other employees or customers. Same goes for schools and other environments.

You statement should have been three words long.

"Generally speaking" means only what it means to you, which means nothing to me.

You statement should have been three words long.

"Generally speaking" means only what it means to you, which means nothing to me.

Ok then take “generally speaking” out of my statement and respond to my points if you can. Do you feel that employers and schools have a right to discipline employees and students for offending others?

Forum List

Back