Oxford University boss says it is 'unfortunate' that some students 'claim a right not to be offended’

Gee, an outgoing Oxford Chancellor saying that, in a way, gives me a little more faith in at least a segment of our young college students.
More correctly how the stupid little snowflakes have their heads up their Libtard asses.

Interesting. So if you ran a business and one of you employees was offending your customers and driving them away, you wouldn’t feel that you had a right to discipline or fire that employee?

Depends on whether or not I agreed with them.

As fate would have it, I've been in exactly this situation. I had a casual laborer doing some work in my place of business. A potential customer came in and while we were talking about the work she wanted done, she saw the message on the man's T-shirt and tore into him. He tore back. She asked me what he was doing there and when I told her, she demanded I make him leave until we were done with her business.

I threw her ass out.

When people beg to be offended, they will be obliged.

Depends on whether or not I agreed with them.

As fate would have it, I've been in exactly this situation. I had a casual laborer doing some work in my place of business. A potential customer came in and while we were talking about the work she wanted done, she saw the message on the man's T-shirt and tore into him. He tore back. She asked me what he was doing there and when I told her, she demanded I make him leave until we were done with her business.

I threw her ass out.

I bet that filled your tough guy bucket. But in that story you contradicted your previous statements and proved my point. You threw a customer out because she was being offensive and obnoxious.

More correctly how the stupid little snowflakes have their heads up their Libtard asses.
Back in the day, I took everything the professors said, that was not testable with huge grain of salt. Their opinions were their opinions. I came and was paying for their testable knowledge. I have gotten the impression (poor impression) that, the kids now don't know to look at that way and take their teachers, instructors and professors opinions as facts of life and the world, to believe and live by. Only many do not work in the outside world. Here was a chancellor saying some didn't freely accept these extra personal nuggets. It is a good sign for those that do not freely accept.

I bet that filled your tough guy bucket. But in that story you contradicted your previous statements and proved my point. You threw a customer out because she was being offensive and obnoxious.

I threw a customer out because she came into my business looking for something to take offense at and was abusive to someone else because of it.

But I'm not surprised that your bias keeps you from understanding the importance of that.

I threw a customer out because she came into my business looking for something to take offense at and was abusive to someone else because of it.

But I'm not surprised that your bias keeps you from understanding the importance of that.

I absolutely understand the importance of that. It was the exact point I was making.

Interesting. So if you ran a business and one of you employees was offending your customers and driving them away, you wouldn’t feel that you had a right to discipline or fire that employee?

So just to be clear here since you are being argumentive, do you believe someone has a "right" to not be offended?
We can debate all day long about what is tasteful, or what is not, but do you believe it's a "right" to not be offended?

So when I asked the question:

Do you feel that employers and schools have a right to discipline employees and students for offending others?

And you answered “No”

How does that work with your kicking a customer out of your store for being offensive to your employee? Doesn’t that go against your “No” answer?

So when I asked the question:

Do you feel that employers and schools have a right to discipline employees and students for offending others?

And you answered “No”

How does that work with your kicking a customer out of your store for being offensive to your employee? Doesn’t that go against your “No” answer?

Not at all, but then there's your bias again, making you ask dumb questions.

You asked about employees and students, not customers. Every business knows it has the right to refuse to serve any potential customer they don't wish to serve.

You want to try again?

:dunno:

So just to be clear here since you are being argumentive, do you believe someone has a "right" to not be offended?
We can debate all day long about what is tasteful, or what is not, but do you believe it's a "right" to not be offended?
Thanks for the question. Legally per our constitution everybody has the right to be offensive if they want to be. But any institution, business or organization also has the right to have a code of conduct and discipline or penalize guests, employees, customers or patrons in their establishments as they see fit.

There may be exceptions to how people talk to law enforcement, but I don’t know the specifics with that one

Does that answer your question?

Thanks for the question. Legally per our constitution everybody has the right to be offensive if they want to be. But any institution, business or organization also has the right to have a code of conduct and discipline or penalize guests, employees, customers or patrons in their establishments as they see fit.

There may be exceptions to how people talk to law enforcement, but I don’t know the specifics with that one

Does that answer your question?

Not really.
Do you believe a person has a "right" to not be offended?

Not at all, but then there's your bias again, making you ask dumb questions.

You asked about employees and students, not customers. Every business knows it has the right to refuse to serve any potential customer they don't wish to serve.

You want to try again?

:dunno:

You’re right I didn’t ask about customers. So to be clear…

You don’t believe you have the right as a business owner to discipline an employee who is offending you or your customers. You don’t think a teacher has the right to kick a student out of class for offending other students. But you do think a business owner has the right to kick customers out of their store for offending employees.

Did I get that correct?

Not really.

That "right to not be offended" is and has always been so stupid. For someone who actually lives in the real world to say they have the right not to be offended is like someone standing in the rain saying they have the right not to get wet. It's their own responsibility to carry a fucking umbrella.

Just stupid.

You’re right I didn’t ask about customers. So to be clear…

You don’t believe you have the right as a business owner to discipline an employee who is offending you or your customers. You don’t think a teacher has the right to kick a student out of class for offending other students. But you do think a business owner has the right to kick customers out of their store for offending employees.

Did I get that correct?
You need to find someone your own age and IQ range to play your little childish games with.

You lose, troll.

Get over it.

Not really.
Of course not. That would involve a law against not offending others which I just explained is not constitutional.

Now if that offense is threatening then it’s a different story. If the offense violates an organizations code of conduct the non-legal recourse is fair game.

That work for you?

You need to find someone your own age and IQ range to play your little childish games with.

You lose, troll.

Get over it.

I lose?! Haha who’s trying to be machoman now?!

How do I lose when you avoid answering my questions?! Quitters aren’t winners. Answer my questions and try to win the debate or bail.

Your contradiction is pretty clear so I’m expecting the insult troll games to start but I’d prefer you try and win through engagement and intellect

Forum List

Back