Orthodox Jewish Men Cause Flight Delay By Refusing To Sit Next To Women

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
o-ORTHODOX-PLANE-570.jpg

One person's requirement for religious accommodation can seem all-too-much like discrimination to another.

An El Al flight from New York to Tel Aviv last week encountered delays when several ultra-orthodox Jewish men refused to take their seats next to women over religious objections.

Ultra-orthodox Judaism forbids physical contact between men and women unless they are first-degree relatives or married to one another. In an airplane with close quarters, maintaining such separation is not easy.

As orthodox and secular Jewish passengers boarded the flight scheduled to arrive at Ben Gurion airport on the morning of Rosh Hashanah, the men began asking women seated next to them to move, sometimes even offering compensation for seat changes, Ynet News reports.

One passenger, identified as Galit, was sitting next to her husband when an ultra-orthodox, or haredi, man asked her to move. But she refused to change seats, Galittold Ynet:

"I ended up sitting next to a haredi man who jumped out of his seat the moment we had finished taking off and proceeded to stand in the aisle."

Some of the haredi men spent much of the eleven-hour flight standing and praying in the aisle, which caused general commotion and made it difficult to reach the restroom, Galit said.

More: Orthodox Jewish Men Cause Flight Delay By Refusing To Sit Next To Women

Absolutely bizarre!

It's easy for the rest of us to make fun of these people but I admire them for their strong faith in God.

It's easy for the rest of us to make fun of these people but I admire them for their strong faith in God.

Good for you. I think they're full of shit. They're giddy over something they have no proof of.

You have some nerve talking about the holy Jews like that. Some nerve I tell you. It's El Al and the plane is headed for Israel. Show some respect and be still. You don't want to provoke the LORD to wrath.

It is not easy to make fun of holy Jews. Not if you fear the LORD. If you are meshugenah? Yes! If you are morally insane? Yes. If you fear the LORD and know the Holy Scriptures? Absolutely not.

Good for you. I think they're full of shit. They're giddy over something they have no proof of.

You have some nerve talking about the holy Jews like that. Some nerve I tell you. It's El Al and the plane is headed for Israel. Show some respect and be still. You don't want to provoke the LORD to wrath.

You think women should give up their seats so men won't be polluted by sitting next to them? Seriously...I don't care what religion it is - if they have issues sitting next to us, they can charter a private flight.

lakhota said:

Would you be so upset if the centerpiece of the story were a coupla gays who refused to sit next to any women on the plane?

What about if it were a coupla gays who refused to sit next to a family of evangelical Christians?

A group of Navajos who refused to sit next to some women?

I would do it in a NY minute, Coyote. Yes. It's the right thing to do.

If you want to go to Israel maybe you should charter a private flight if you don't want to respect the custom of the holy Jews who are headed there. After all. It's their airline and their Jewish nation. ( El Al ) God blesses those who bless the Jews. I'll go the extra mile for His blessing!

Any time.

They booked a seat on a plane, they don't get to decide who they sit next to. Sit down, belt up, and shut up. Or get off.

lakhota said:

Would you be so upset if the centerpiece of the story were a coupla gays who refused to sit next to any women on the plane?

What about if it were a coupla gays who refused to sit next to a family of evangelical Christians?

A group of Navajos who refused to sit next to some women?

It does appear the Jews cannot even tie their shoes or travel in peace now without being criticized for it! Bye now!

they don't touch members of the opposite sex other than relatives out of respect for their family and others.

they probably should have planned better. But there is no reason they couldn't respected as well.

Actually, all Judaism forbids physical contact between the sexes unless related or married. Surprised to hear it happened on El-Al though I must say. Issue came up a few years ago in New York. Seems a synagogue letting out onto a narrow street or sidewalk forced men and women into too-close a proximity. Both sides complained so the synagogue wound up letting one sex out first, they'd drive off or catch buses n cabs, then the other sex would go out.

Usually this sort of thing is accomodated by El-Al.

You think women should give up their seats so men won't be polluted by sitting next to them? Seriously...I don't care what religion it is - if they have issues sitting next to us, they can charter a private flight.

This is probably some ultra ultra ultra orthodox branch of Hasidim. They also probably neglected to inform El Al of their anal-ness regarding proximity to unrelated females.

That being said, even if they did touch a woman by accident, I'm sure there is some purification ritual they can do.

they don't touch members of the opposite sex other than relatives out of respect for their family and others.

they probably should have planned better. But there is no reason they couldn't respected as well.

Good thorough article here about it:
May I Shake the Lady s Hand - Mitzvahs Traditions

It is indeed out of respect and a polite refraining from intimate contact with those not our spouse or relatives (though there's a prohibition against overly intimate 'casual contacts' between even familiy members like hugging and kissing can't say I agree with that aspect but it's there.)

Forum List

Back