Ordering Americans To Buy $50 Lightbulbs

So say I tossed my CFL bulbs in the trash and dropped one at work a long time ago......what does that mean :eek:

Yeah i just toss mine in the work dumpster :eusa_silenced:

Mercury is highly toxic to humans and very small amounts can cause severe neurological damage and damage the kidneys. I have read that levels of mercury in the air can reach unhealthy levels from the mercury in a single broken thermometer. I'm sure that is also true of a broken CFL so certainly the area should be carefully and thoroughly cleaned and ventilated.

And that CFL tossed in the dumpster in and of itself isn't going to matter much in the grand scheme of things. But multiplied hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands, millions of times, and I can see some pretty hazardous landfills and risk for people working with the waste.

BTW a local Lowes recently were selling the flourescent bulbs for $1 each.
So how does this mandate a person buying the most expensive bulbs?

This is a much better post...the first one was just nonsense.

The question is, should the government be mandating or banning lightbulbs?

I'm gonna guess, from that other post, that you would be fine with the gov sticking to its Constitutional powers, pretty much.

Yes, it should when the use of high energy bulbs damages the environment.

Both with the CFCs and the LED, there is a large net savings over the lifetime of the bulb. But saving is not a Conservative principle, is it.

BTW a local Lowes recently were selling the flourescent bulbs for $1 each.
So how does this mandate a person buying the most expensive bulbs?

I'm gonna guess, from that other post, that you would be fine with the gov sticking to its Constitutional powers, pretty much.

Both with the CFCs and the LED, there is a large net savings over the lifetime of the bulb. But saving is not a Conservative principle, is it.
depends on what you mean by conservative. I like saving money, so I'm switching to the squiggly bulbs.

Mercury Switchs

There is at least a 100 times more mercury in each of the old household thermostats, light switches & tilt switches than in a florescent bulb. These devices have been thrown into landfills for a 100 years. Only recently have electricians & HVAC workers started disposing of these devices semi properly. A friend of mine collected several ounces in a jar from a couple of buildings that were being bulldozed. He used to play with it in his hands just to watch how it moved & shined. He is still alive & well. He stopped playing with it after I told him it was poison.

Large amounts of mercury switches were built into automobiles up until 2003. Hood & trunk lighting tilt switches, ABS Brakes systems, Airbag systems, Alarm systems. Each of these likely contains a 100 times more mercury than a CFL bulb.

CFLs
Q22 - Do incandescent light bulbs contain mercury?

Incandescent light bulbs do not contain mercury however their use ultimately releases much more mercury into the environment throughout each bulb’s lifetime when compared to CFLs. This is because the biggest source of mercury pollution is coal-fired power plants.

Burning coal to illuminate incandescent lamps releases about five times the mercury into the environment compared to burning the same coal to illuminate CFLs. This is significantly more than the mercury contained in the CFL.

Ultimately, the net benefit of using a low energy CFL is positive, particularly if the mercury in lamp is recycled and kept out of landfills.

Q23 - How much mercury is found in CFLs?

CFLs contain trace amounts of mercury, usually around 3 to 5 mg, with some ‘low-mercury’ CFLs containing as little as 1.4 mg. According to the Australian government the maximum allowable amount of mercury in a CFL is 15 mg.

5 mg is 100 times less than a mercury thermometer or dental filling and one fifth of that found in a watch battery.

Last edited:
Again, for me, the basic issue is not whether one is better than another or whether everybody else in the world is doing something.

For me the issue is that the government presumes to tell me what I should prefer and what I should and should not be allowed to buy rather than me deciding that for myself.

If I prefer the brighter more efficient light of an incandescent, I want that to be my choice. If I don't want to have to follow hazmat rules in order to have light in my home, I would like to have that choice. If I want the energy savings of the CFLs I like having that choice. And if I am only one of few who prefers incandescent, the market itself will phase out that product and I will use something else.

I much prefer that the United States do what is best for the United States and not be subservient to the whims of Europe or anywhere else. And in almost all cases, the free market is far superior to promote innovation, productivity, and prosperity than are government mandates.

I do not want the government to continue to have power to take away more and more of our rights, choices, options, and opportunities.

Got that backwards, didn't you? The CFLs are more efficient to the tune of about a 75% reduction in energy usage. Given that, I find the complaints about them to be totally ridiculous. People scream about energy prices everyday, but when you have an option all you want to talk about are your "rights". Give me a break!!! Save that for a REAL issue.

So say I tossed my CFL bulbs in the trash and dropped one at work a long time ago......what does that mean :eek:

Mercury is highly toxic to humans and very small amounts can cause severe neurological damage and damage the kidneys. I have read that levels of mercury in the air can reach unhealthy levels from the mercury in a single broken thermometer. I'm sure that is also true of a broken CFL so certainly the area should be carefully and thoroughly cleaned and ventilated.

And that CFL tossed in the dumpster in and of itself isn't going to matter much in the grand scheme of things. But multiplied hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands, millions of times, and I can see some pretty hazardous landfills and risk for people working with the waste.

that explains my mental issues :lol:

i take it that my town should have a free disposal for these right? Im not being silly im serious, i want to throw them out right.

NEW YORK – Two leading makers of lighting products are showcasing LED bulbs that are bright enough to replace energy-guzzling 100-watt light bulbs set to disappear from stores in January.

Their demonstrations at the LightFair trade show in Philadelphia this week mean that brighter LED bulbs will likely go on sale next year, but after a government ban takes effect.

The new bulbs will also be expensive — about $50 each — so the development may not prevent consumers from hoarding traditional bulbs.

The technology in traditional "incandescent" bulbs is more than a century old. Such bulbs waste most of the electricity that feeds them, turning it into heat. The 100-watt bulb, in particular, produces so much heat that it's used in Hasbro's Easy-Bake Oven.

To encourage energy efficiency, Congress passed a law in 2007 mandating that bulbs producing 100 watts worth of light meet certain efficiency goals, starting in 2012. Conventional light bulbs don't meet those goals, so the law will prohibit making or importing them. The same rule will start apply to remaining bulbs 40 watts and above in 2014. Since January, California has already banned stores from restocking 100-watt incandescent bulbs.
LED bulbs hit 100 watts as federal ban looms - Yahoo! News

You don't have to buy the LED light dimwit, you can buy an equivalent 100 watt CFL for 2-3 bucks.
So...exactly which part of the Constitution covers 'mandating which light bulbs Americans can use'?

The interstate commerce clause. The law only applies to bulbs which enter commerce - if you make your own at home you're A-OK.

Last edited:

that explains my mental issues :lol:

i take it that my town should have a free disposal for these right? Im not being silly im serious, i want to throw them out right.

I think Albuquerque has three or four facilities that can accept these bulbs but we are a trade area of more than a half million people. Smaller towns I don't know. But that is definitely going to be another problem and more of a recycling/proper disposal issue if a lot of folks have to drive long distances in order to properly dispose of the bulbs.

NEW YORK – Two leading makers of lighting products are showcasing LED bulbs that are bright enough to replace energy-guzzling 100-watt light bulbs set to disappear from stores in January.

Their demonstrations at the LightFair trade show in Philadelphia this week mean that brighter LED bulbs will likely go on sale next year, but after a government ban takes effect.

The new bulbs will also be expensive — about $50 each — so the development may not prevent consumers from hoarding traditional bulbs.

The technology in traditional "incandescent" bulbs is more than a century old. Such bulbs waste most of the electricity that feeds them, turning it into heat. The 100-watt bulb, in particular, produces so much heat that it's used in Hasbro's Easy-Bake Oven.

To encourage energy efficiency, Congress passed a law in 2007 mandating that bulbs producing 100 watts worth of light meet certain efficiency goals, starting in 2012. Conventional light bulbs don't meet those goals, so the law will prohibit making or importing them. The same rule will start apply to remaining bulbs 40 watts and above in 2014. Since January, California has already banned stores from restocking 100-watt incandescent bulbs.
LED bulbs hit 100 watts as federal ban looms - Yahoo! News

So...exactly which part of the Constitution covers 'mandating which light bulbs Americans can use'?
(in 2007, Democrats controlled both chambers of Congress)

Is that after the 'toilet bowl amendment'? ("When the federal government mandated that new toilets use no more than 1.6 gallons per flush,...")

there not ordering, they discontinuing incandescents , you can still get fluorescents .

I think Albuquerque has three or four facilities that can accept these bulbs but we are a trade area of more than a half million people. Smaller towns I don't know. But that is definitely going to be another problem and more of a recycling/proper disposal issue if a lot of folks have to drive long distances in order to properly dispose of the bulbs.

The ones i have in my house were bought 3 years ago and they are still running fine. Disposal may not be a huge issue since the last so damn long.

The ones i have in my house were bought 3 years ago and they are still running fine. Disposal may not be a huge issue since the last so damn long.

Well some of us are cheap buggers and bought these bulbs in the late 90's early 21st century.....my originals have been all dying out this year.

We've been using them, especially in our mutliple bulb light fixtures, for a long time too. But we already have had to dispose of several bulbs. Just three or four little bulbs. But multiply those three by millions. . . .

Plus when everybody who isn't hoarding incandescents is forced to use them, there will be many many more.

depends on what you mean by conservative. I like saving money, so I'm switching to the squiggly bulbs.

thats EXACTLY why i bought them all those years ago.

I've heard someone coin them "ObamaBulbs" the other day on the radio :lol:

I bought mine under bush

We've been using them, especially in our mutliple bulb light fixtures, for a long time too. But we already have had to dispose of several bulbs. Just three or four little bulbs. But multiply those three by millions. . . .

Plus when everybody who isn't hoarding incandescents is forced to use them, there will be many many more.

I honestly have a case of 60w, 75w, and 100w incandescents in my basement....im waiting to sell them for good money on ebay ;).

i did this with some mach3 razors one time and made almost $500.00 in 2 weeks......and when i say made i mean profit, not revenue ;).

I bought mine under bush

Us too. And we use them in the multiple bulb fixtures because those fixtures don't have to produce the high light volume we need for some things and they are more energy efficient and they don't burn out as often.

For reading lamps or lighting we use for close work--hobbies, etc.--the incandescents are much better.

As for environmental concerns, if people use more LEDs or CFLs than incandescents trying to get the same quantity and quality of light, there won't be that much energy savings. And those promoting energy savings as necessary to save the environment don't seem to want to even discuss the toxic disposal issues.

The interstate commerce clause. The law only applies to bulbs which enter commerce - if you make your own at home you're A-OK.

If that's true, then states that cared to could circumvent the regulation via intra-state only manufacturing and sale. Somehow I doubt they would get away with that.

I bought mine under bush

Us too. And we use them in the multiple bulb fixtures because those fixtures don't have to produce the high light volume we need for some things and they are more energy efficient and they don't burn out as often.

For reading lamps or lighting we use for close work--hobbies, etc.--the incandescents are much better.

As for environmental concerns, if people use more LEDs or CFLs than incandescents trying to get the same quantity and quality of light, there won't be that much energy savings. And those promoting energy savings as necessary to save the environment don't seem to want to even discuss the toxic disposal issues.

Thats basically how i use lighting too.

BTW I notice that where i use 60w incandescents I need to use 20w (75w equivalent) CFLs to get an acceptable level of brightness. still use less electricity though....i just bought 23w/100w equivalent ones and man they are nice and bright after a few minutes.

If that's true, then states that cared to could circumvent the regulation via intra-state only manufacturing and sale.

I doubt that's even realistically possible.

Horsefeathers. It could be accomplished very easily.

Build a manufacturing facility in your home state.

Produce light bulbs.

Sell them to retailers in your home state.

In the modern day almost all commerce is interstate.

Irrelevant point.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back