Ordering Americans To Buy $50 Lightbulbs

I remember when CD Rom drives cost a thousand to 1,500 a pop. Now they cost 15 dollars. It will be the same with these bulbs. The current technology being phased out is a hundred years old. Sometimes you just have to drag Conservatives kicking and screaming into the world of "today".

You missed the part about losing the choice of what to buy.

Are you still pissed off because you can't buy paint with lead in it too?

Incandescent bulbs are killing anyone.

But just try breaking a CFL!

Which part of the constitution allows individual rights to coprorations?

Which part allows the regulation of drugs both prescription and non prescription?

Which part allows prohibiting the marriage of gays?

Which part...

I think the one thing you're forgetting is this is a state's rights issue, not a federal issue.

The federal government is impeding the rights of states when it comes to this.

Course if anyone wants to take em to court they can get the law thrown out as unconstitutional, just like they did the line-item veto.

Usually this is a market-driven thing. Whether or not anyone will buy the damned things. They make em too expensive people will just use something else.

I remember when CD Rom drives cost a thousand to 1,500 a pop. Now they cost 15 dollars. It will be the same with these bulbs. The current technology being phased out is a hundred years old. Sometimes you just have to drag Conservatives kicking and screaming into the world of "today".

No, because leaded paint WAS hazardous to our health.

But now they want us to give up light bulbs that are not hazardous to our health and replace them with bulbs containing material more toxic than lead.

Don't you see even a little bit of problem with that?

But now they want us to give up light bulbs that are not hazardous to our health and replace them with bulbs containing material more toxic than lead.

I didn't know that.

I'll have to look into it.

I didn't know that.

I'll have to look into it.

OK, you win.

snopes.com: CFL Mercury Light Bulbs

I'll be stocking up on incandescents starting this weekend.

You don't have to buy cfls...which are no more dangerous than the flourescent bulbs that have been around for decades. If you are that terrified there are still other options.

This is a much better post...the first one was just nonsense.

The question is, should the government be mandating or banning lightbulbs?

I'm gonna guess, from that other post, that you would be fine with the gov sticking to its Constitutional powers, pretty much.

Nope, because the constitution is way out of date. The writers could not envision our electric grid or our dependence on oil nor the effects of polloution, etc.
And our govt has not kept up in updating the constitution.

Nor could the founders envision how lazy and spoiled the American people would become.

That's Truthmatter's Brand of Stupid. The Constitution did not cover the proper disposition of horseshit either

I suspected that you operated outside the constitution.

SAY WHAAA??...

The new $50 Bulb will replace incandescent Bulbs that have now been Banned by our Government. The Ban takes effect starting in January 2012.

Wow. Should our Government really be banning products and forcing Citizens to purchase particular products? This seems very disturbing to me. How can this be allowed to go forward? I've actually read where these new Bulbs are actually pretty hazardous. You don't want one of these Bulbs breaking in your Home. But these will be the only Bulbs you'll be allowed to purchase starting next year. Banning the old Bulbs just looks like an awful abuse of Power to me. I'm just so baffled as to how our Government can be allowed such unchecked power. Many are suspecting GE is behind this whole thing. They do have a very close relationship with this President. GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt is now his "Jobs Czar." I'm very disappointed this is being allowed to move forward. But what say you all?
"Should our Government really be banning products and forcing citizens to purchase particular products?"

SEE: Obamacare.

You mean "Romneycare". Oops.

SAY WHAAA??...

The new $50 Bulb will replace incandescent Bulbs that have now been Banned by our Government. The Ban takes effect starting in January 2012.

Wow. Should our Government really be banning products and forcing Citizens to purchase particular products? This seems very disturbing to me. How can this be allowed to go forward? I've actually read where these new Bulbs are actually pretty hazardous. You don't want one of these Bulbs breaking in your Home. But these will be the only Bulbs you'll be allowed to purchase starting next year. Banning the old Bulbs just looks like an awful abuse of Power to me. I'm just so baffled as to how our Government can be allowed such unchecked power. Many are suspecting GE is behind this whole thing. They do have a very close relationship with this President. GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt is now his "Jobs Czar." I'm very disappointed this is being allowed to move forward. But what say you all?
"Should our Government really be banning products and forcing citizens to purchase particular products?"

SEE: Obamacare.

You mean "Romneycare". Oops.
Yep......That too. But at least we have a model to show that the failure of it is in the beginning stages so, in a sense, Romney did us a favor.

They banned Freon R-12 almost 20 years ago but you can still buy it. Mexico or some other country will make them & get them in the USA somehow.

i think cfl's are a world wide effort....i mean, phasing out the incandescent is a world wide effort....i don't think we will be able to get them from mexico or china.... let me see if i can find the info on this that i had read....

YES, a WORLDWIDE effort.

Phase-out of incandescent light bulbs
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LED lamp, efficiency class A
Tubular-type compact fluorescent lamp is one of the most popular types on the European market
Halogen incandescent light bulb

Governments around the world have passed measures to phase out incandescent light bulbs for general lighting. The aim is to encourage the use and technological development of more energy-efficient lighting alternatives, such as compact fluorescent lamp (CFLs) and LED lamps. Brazil and Venezuela started to phase them out in 2005,[1] and the European Union, Switzerland,[2] and Australia[3] started to phase them out in 2009.[4] Likewise, other nations are planning scheduled phase-outs: Argentina,[5] Russia, and Canada in 2012,[6] and Malaysia in 2014.[7] Although the United States is not phasing out incandescent light bulbs, it has set minimum efficiency standards for lighting which preclude most legacy incandescent designs; these minimum standards phase in between 2012 and 2014.[8]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_incandescent_light_bulbs

i want my mtv on beta?

Government banned beta?

How many of you who support the banning of the incandescent have used the LED lights that this article was touting?

How about the CFL lights we have had for a while?

You know that crappy light quality of many of the CFL bulbs, well multiply that by 5 for the light quality from the LED bulbs, they really suck.

I bought one thinking "heck this uses even less than these CFLs and maybe the light will be decent from them" Nope, I was wrong, i'm sticking to my CFLs in lights that are on a lot and my incandescents in the bathroom and where I read.

Forum List

Back