Ordering Americans To Buy $50 Lightbulbs

If that's true, then states that cared to could circumvent the regulation via intra-state only manufacturing and sale.

I doubt that's even realistically possible.

Horsefeathers. It could be accomplished very easily.

Build a manufacturing facility in your home state.

Produce light bulbs.

Sell them to retailers in your home state.

In the modern day almost all commerce is interstate.

Irrelevant point.

Manifold is correct.

If that's true, then states that cared to could circumvent the regulation via intra-state only manufacturing and sale.

I doubt that's even realistically possible.

Horsefeathers. It could be accomplished very easily.

Build a manufacturing facility in your home state.

Produce light bulbs.

LOL! Produce them from what, thin air?

Sell them to retailers in your home state.
Only to retailers not involved in interstate commerce - wouldn't leave very many.

In the modern day almost all commerce is interstate.

Irrelevant point.
its kinda relevant when it comes to the Constitution as the Constitution grants Congress authority to regulate it.

The same materials that have always been used Einstein. :cuckoo:

Only to retailers not involved in interstate commerce - wouldn't leave very many.

Bullshit. Go read up on Gibbons v Ogden lest you continue to spout ignorance.

its kinda relevant when it comes to the Constitution as the Constitution grants Congress authority to regulate it.

It's completely irrelevant since we're talking about intra-state commerce, which you retardly assume is not possible.

I use CFL's virtually everywhere.

No problems. I have had 2 go bad in 5 years.

Rmemeber you can get CFL's in different wavelengths of light.

if you ever break one....dont use a vacuum.....use a broom and open a window....thats what i was told from the CEQA...( The California Environmental Quality Act ).....

And all manufactured in the same state. OK.

Already have. Don't see your point.

It's completely irrelevant since we're talking about intra-state commerce, which you retardly assume is not possible.

It pretty much isn't anymore.

Yes incandescents require no exotic materials that have to be imported from foreign countries. If you wanted to be truly assinine about it all materials needed to manufacture lightbulbs are readily recycled from old cars piled up all over creation. When you are making basic things you get to use basic materials.

Yes incandescents require no exotic materials that have to be imported from foreign countries. If you wanted to be truly assinine about it all materials needed to manufacture lightbulbs are readily recycled from old cars piled up all over creation. When you are making basic things you get to use basic materials.
75% of world Tungsten production comes from China. The US has only 3.2% of the world's Tungsten reserves. We import about 1/3 from China and about 1/4 from Russia and we get about 1/3 from recycling, you know what CON$ are against.

Again, for me, the basic issue is not whether one is better than another or whether everybody else in the world is doing something.

For me the issue is that the government presumes to tell me what I should prefer and what I should and should not be allowed to buy rather than me deciding that for myself.

If I prefer the brighter more efficient light of an incandescent, I want that to be my choice. If I don't want to have to follow hazmat rules in order to have light in my home, I would like to have that choice. If I want the energy savings of the CFLs I like having that choice. And if I am only one of few who prefers incandescent, the market itself will phase out that product and I will use something else.

I much prefer that the United States do what is best for the United States and not be subservient to the whims of Europe or anywhere else. And in almost all cases, the free market is far superior to promote innovation, productivity, and prosperity than are government mandates.

I do not want the government to continue to have power to take away more and more of our rights, choices, options, and opportunities.
Precisely! Once more, the elite, our supposed "best and brightest" (what a joke!), are forcing the rest of us to do what they (the elite) think is best for us. Horsedung! What do the rest of we the people have to do to rid ourselves of these statists, elitist control freaks (no matter what party they belong to? What? Revolt! Hell, if that what it takes, I am just about ready; enough is enough, and this is about as petty, meddling, and stupidly arrogant as it can get. We need two things desperately in this country: a new breed of politician, and a far weaker central government for them to control! I'd prefer anarchy to this sorry spectacle of politicians and petty bureaucrats, drunk with power. I don't know what we'll throw in Boston harbor this time, but the entire congress (preferably well weighted down with lead, to keep the scum from floating to the top)) would be a good start!

Again, for me, the basic issue is not whether one is better than another or whether everybody else in the world is doing something.

For me the issue is that the government presumes to tell me what I should prefer and what I should and should not be allowed to buy rather than me deciding that for myself.

If I prefer the brighter more efficient light of an incandescent, I want that to be my choice. If I don't want to have to follow hazmat rules in order to have light in my home, I would like to have that choice. If I want the energy savings of the CFLs I like having that choice. And if I am only one of few who prefers incandescent, the market itself will phase out that product and I will use something else.

I much prefer that the United States do what is best for the United States and not be subservient to the whims of Europe or anywhere else. And in almost all cases, the free market is far superior to promote innovation, productivity, and prosperity than are government mandates.

I do not want the government to continue to have power to take away more and more of our rights, choices, options, and opportunities.
Precisely! Once more, the elite, our supposed "best and brightest" (what a joke!), are forcing the rest of us to do what they (the elite) think is best for us. Horsedung! What do the rest of we the people have to do to rid ourselves of these statists, elitist control freaks (no matter what party they belong to? What? Revolt! Hell, if that what it takes, I am just about ready; enough is enough, and this is about as petty, meddling, and stupidly arrogant as it can get. We need two things desperately in this country: a new breed of politician, and a far weaker central government for them to control! I'd prefer anarchy to this sorry spectacle of politicians and petty bureaucrats, drunk with power. I don't know what we'll throw in Boston harbor this time, but the entire congress (preferably well weighted down with lead, to keep the scum from floating to the top)) would be a good start!

The "elite". Hilarious. Better to stick with 100 year old technology then use what comes from the "elite". Republicans hate "elite". They prefer old and stupid.

The technology in traditional "incandescent" bulbs is more than a century old. Such bulbs waste most of the electricity that feeds them, turning it into heat. The 100-watt bulb, in particular, produces so much heat that it's used in Hasbro's Easy-Bake Oven.

LED Bulbs Get Brighter As Ban Looms

Get that? The bulb produces so much heat, it's used in an "oven" to bake.

However, 60-watt bulbs are the big prize, since they're the most common. There are 425 million incandescent light bulbs in the 60-watt range in use in the U.S. today, said Zia Eftekhar, the head of Philips' North American lighting division. The energy savings that could be realized by replacing them with 10-watt LED bulbs is staggering.

Oops.

How about this novel approach...we inform the citizens of the choices, as in an open debate, and allow them to make up their own minds....

... as opposed to bans and mandates.

Why is coercion so prominent in the Left's approach?
Because they know the Right hates this country so much that they will choose to aid and abet the enemies of this country by being as wasteful as humanly possible rather than starve our enemies of the oil money that fuels their terrorist attacks on our soil.

April 22, 2008
RUSH: "It's very simple. Drive. Drive! Drive five miles above the speed limit when you're on the highway. Go out and buy, buy, buy! Use extra toilet paper. Clog up the toilet if you have to with extra toilet paper. Use, use, use. Turn on every light in the house, every light in the office, and leave it on when you leave -- and if you see anybody driving a stupid hybrid around, just buzz 'em with your horn and wave at 'em as you speed by."

Is it a "death wish"?

How the hell did the administration ever get away with promoting light bulbs made with toxic heavy metals as being "green"? If you read the instructions (how much paper does it take to instruct the public how to screw in a lightbulb) you have to call in a haz-mat crew if you break one of those mercury based light bulbs. Sometimes you break one over your head and are showered with toxic stuff in your eyes. How green is that? How do you trade off energy logic when the president takes half a dozen 747's to Norway to campaign for a Chicago winter Olympics that ain't gonna happen. It's all a liberal shell game.

75% of world Tungsten production comes from China. The US has only 3.2% of the world's Tungsten reserves. We import about 1/3 from China and about 1/4 from Russia and we get about 1/3 from recycling, you know what CON$ are against.

You don't have to use tungsten boyo. There's a lightbulb burning in a fire station in Livermore California that has burning continuously for 110 years now, guess what no tungsten!

Livermore's Centennial Light

Thanks for this PC. It reminded me that I've got to start hoarding light bulbs soon.

Why would you hoard light bulbs when the fluorescent bulbs cost $1?

compact-fluorescent-bulb.jpg

How the hell did the administration ever get away with promoting light bulbs made with toxic heavy metals as being "green"?

How the hell do you get away with not including the extra mercury released in the production of the extra energy needed to run incandescents in your computations?

If you read the instructions (how much paper does it take to instruct the public how to screw in a lightbulb) you have to call in a haz-mat crew if you break one of those mercury based light bulbs
Great then stop tossing them against hard surfaces for fun. sorry but if breaking a light bulb is a regular occurrence for you maybe you should have someone else handle your light bulbs.
Sometimes you break one over your head and are showered with toxic stuff in your eyes.
Why would I do that?
How green is that?
Its stupid. Stop breaking lightbulbs over your head moron.
How do you trade off energy logic when the president takes half a dozen 747's to Norway to campaign for a Chicago winter Olympics that ain't gonna happen. It's all a liberal shell game.

Dude shut the fuck up, you're a moron.

Yes incandescents require no exotic materials that have to be imported from foreign countries.
Uhh, interstate commerce dude.

Uhhhh, no kidding dude. You could make the point that anything imported to make them could be controlled because it is coming from another state. I pointed out that all materials could be readily found INTRA STATE, do try to keep up.

Forum List

Back