US plans water heater standards, says they will "save" consumers $11 billion

Yes, that is where the small losses come from. Hot water heaters are not perfectly insulated, so they lose a little heat.

It's pretty trivial. If I touch my hot water heater, it does not feel warm. The hot water pipe leaving the heater is the main source of heat loss.

Heat pump water heaters do exactly the same thing, and that is what this thread is about.
To test the heat loss from the sides of your water heater tape a piece of insulation, about a square foot, on it. After an hour or so stick your hand in between the insulation and the tank. You'll be surprised how warm it is. That's standby heat loss.

To test the heat loss from the sides of your water heater tape a piece of insulation, about a square foot, on it. After an hour or so stick your hand in between the insulation and the tank. You'll be surprised how warm it is. That's standby heat loss.
It's irrelevant!

Biden's proposal does not change that in any way. Please try to follow along.

What does adding a heat pump to a central hot water tank have to do with that? Absolutely nothing.

They are over 90% efficient. Please quit complaining about trivial heat losses. It's nothing.

It's irrelevant!

What does adding a heat pump to a central hot water tank have to do with that? Absolutely nothing.

They are over 90% efficient. Please quit complaining about trivial heat losses. It's nothing.
Trivial losses X 130 million water heaters. :omg:

Trivial losses X 130 million water heaters. :omg:
As I mentioned more than once, Biden's proposed rule does nothing to change the heat losses from central hot water heaters, so it's a bit puzzling why you two keep trying to change the subject to the benefits of instant heaters versus central conventional ones.

The OP mentioned that water heating accounts for about 13% of residential consumption. DOE says electric hot water heaters are over 90% efficient. So, we are talking about 1% of energy use. 1%. And Biden's rule does not reduce these losses at all (so not sure what you are talking about - it's irrelevant, but you are apparently a keyboard warrior and choose to ignore this because you want everyone to switch to tankless heaters to save 1% on their electric bill at a cost of ~$3000).

Goodbye.

As I mentioned more than once, Biden's proposed rule does nothing to change the heat losses from central hot water heaters, so it's a bit puzzling why you two keep trying to change the subject to the benefits of instant heaters versus central conventional ones.

The OP mentioned that water heating accounts for about 13% of residential consumption. DOE says electric hot water heaters are over 90% efficient. So, we are talking about 1% of energy use. 1%. And Biden's rule does not reduce these losses at all (so not sure what you are talking about - it's irrelevant, but you are apparently a keyboard warrior and choose to ignore this because you want everyone to switch to tankless heaters to save 1% on their electric bill at a cost of ~$3000).

Goodbye.
Just fleshing out the subject. Bidens proposals won't affect anyone until the new rules are in place and people replace their water heaters. Until then all sorts of things can happen. Let's talk about that.

If you don't have a tankless water heater, you are behind the curve.

First they came for your lightbulbs, now they come for your water heaters. Oh the humanity!

It's all about making our lives just a bit more miserable, like boiling a frog slowly in water.

Tankless is the way to go.

Depends on your budget and needs really.

It's like an electric car. In some circumstances it's the best choice for someone, but for a lot of people their situation doesn't call for one or they can't afford the upgrade since not only is that tankless more expensive but for most people it also requires pipe retrofitting which adds a lot to the bill.

Some also argue the superiority of tankless saying it can last 20 years. Well, so can a traditional water heater if you add a anode rod to it if it didn't come with one, and use a bonding wire to reduce electrolysis. For 30 bucks you can make a new tank water heater last 20 years or more as well.

So sure. If you have the right living situation and budget a tankless is fine, but if you don't have that specific living situation or budget then it isn't.

But I prefer my tank. If the power goes out I can still take a hot shower 24 hours later and in a emergency situation I have 60 gallons of water already stored.

In the future water conservation may drive the policy and the technology. I can see point-of-use under sink electric water heaters that you first activate via a wall switch. Wait a few seconds and have hot water with no waste. I have measured how much water I waste waiting for it to heat up, and it's a lot; four to five gallons per day (and I live on the first floor). Multiply that by 300 million domestic water users, most of whom are more wasteful than me. Yikes!

Last edited:
Democrat math is a wonderful thing. It will only cost the 63 million homeowners $315 billion to save $11 billion. The thing would need to be replaced long before the break even point, putting Americans further in the hole. Who voted for these morons? They should be ashamed.

It's irrelevant!

Efficiency and standby losses are two different things.

The US government needs to stay out of setting standards for businesses and products. They have never made anything cheaper or better.

I produce hot H2O via a wood boiler, the more wood i huck around, the hotter my water is

~S~

They use a lot of gas keeping 60 gallons of water over 120 degrees, 24 hours a day. My water heater only heats the water when I turn on the tap, the rest of the time, no natural gas or electricity is spent keeping a tank of water hot.

I have very hard water and have never had a water softener. My tankless works amazingly well, and if I want to take a shower for an hour, I'll never run out of hot water,
You did not read his reply. He said electric!

Forum List

Back