Ohio Dem seeks to legislate triple pay for retail workers on holidays

Freedom, like all rights, has limitations. Grow up.

Problem is you have no rights at all when it comes to this.
Oh but I do. It's a game of balancing, one right versus another, far too sophisticated for your simple mind to understand.
The amped mind s yours thinking a business you don't own is any of your business. I'll fire those who support it or cut hours to offset it.
What are you drinking? It ain't coffee.
How far is your head up your ass? I'd say ankle deep.
My head deals with reality, your head pretends it doesn't exist.

That's because you can't mind your own business. The hypocrisy about what you say us when society does that where you don't think they should, you pussies whine like little babies.
We regulate commerce, which is required for capitalism to work, and human actions, which is required for society to work. Time to grow up now.
I'm grown. I know that what a husiness pays on a holiday is not my business. You haven't learned that yet boy. Time for you to grow up.
No, you are nothing like a man, just a child pissed off because you can't do whatever you like whenever you like. What you "learned" is BS. Just dogma from an Ayn Rand novel.
A man doesn't have to have someone do something for him. You do and show it by supporting this.
Go back and cry to Ayn, that's as far as you can reason, obviously.
Only to a fuckhead like you.

I thought you hypocrites believed in freedom? Seems that applies only when you think freedom should exist.

Oh but I do. It's a game of balancing, one right versus another, far too sophisticated for your simple mind to understand.

PaintMyHouse,

Are you trying to teach a gorilla to play chess again?

:blowup:
He's sticking his nose into what a business pays when it's none if his business.
Oh but it is our business, in case you hadn't noticed. See Minimum Wage Laws.

Society gets to set the rules, even when you are doing no harm to others we can still limit what you can do, and we do.
I thought you hypocrites believed in freedom? Seems that applies only when you think freedom should exist.

The amped mind s yours thinking a business you don't own is any of your business. I'll fire those who support it or cut hours to offset it.

Recommend a book, Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol...
Might recognize a guy called Ebenezer Scrooge...

You might consider the book a tragedy.

We regulate commerce, which is required for capitalism to work, and human actions, which is required for society to work. Time to grow up now.
I'm grown. I know that what a husiness pays on a holiday is not my business. You haven't learned that yet boy. Time for you to grow up.
No, you are nothing like a man, just a child pissed off because you can't do whatever you like whenever you like. What you "learned" is BS. Just dogma from an Ayn Rand novel.
A man doesn't have to have someone do something for him. You do and show it by supporting this.
No Sweetcheeks, you are a moron to everyone, but morons. Therefore you'll be very popular here.

PaintMyHouse,

Are you trying to teach a gorilla to play chess again?

:blowup:
He's sticking his nose into what a business pays when it's none if his business.
Oh but it is

Recommend a book, Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol...
Might recognize a guy called Ebenezer Scrooge...

You might consider the book a tragedy.
recommend you mind your own business and thus isn't it. If the person doesn't want to work that day, quit.

No Sweetcheeks, you are a moron to everyone, but morons. Therefore you'll be very popular here.
Morons like you think a worker should get more because they work a certain day. Guess it's the only way you'll ever get something.

Morons like you think a worker should get more because they work a certain day. Guess it's the only way you'll ever get something.
You are just too stupid for words.

Stupid is the only word for you.

I wonder how many businesses this pampered elected idiot owns? Millions of people out of work and he's worried about this

SNIP:
Hi. I’m from the government and I’m here to help.

Nobody likes working on the holidays. I’ve had to do it myself back in the day (and I wasn’t even in retail) and it’s no fun. But at least in Ohio, workers who do get called in on Thanksgiving may be cashing in big if some Democrats get their way. It seems that if retailers need their employees to work on Thanksgiving (or other holidays) the state may force them to triple their wages.

A lawmaker in Ohio wants stores in the state to pay triple wages for employees who work on Thanksgiving ? an effort that comes as Macy’s, the holiday’s quintessential retailer, is allowing its workers to choose whether to work that day.

Both are attempts to counter frustration among workers and their families over holiday store hours that have expanded into the holiday.

State Rep. Mike Foley, a Democrat from Cleveland, said his bill would allow employees to bow out of the holiday shift without job sanctions while protecting family time from excessive consumerism.

It comes after a federal complaint filed earlier this year accused Wal-Mart of illegally firing, disciplining or threatening more than 60 employees in 14 states for participating in protests over wages and working conditions…

Foley said the idea for his bill came from a call last year from a Cincinnati woman who said both she and her 82-year-old mother had been scheduled to work their retail jobs on Thanksgiving.

“I was offended by it,” he said. “Can’t there be one day that’s carved out of this consumerist, materialistic society we’re living in?”

This is actually a totally separate issue from the federal minimum wage fight, though some will obviously try to conflate the two.

This is a move to have the state government reach far deeper into the day to day operations of businesses and micromanage their personnel policies. The proposed legislation would apply to not only specific days and times, but only a single sector of the workforce.

Businesses of all kinds have to decide when and how to offer their products and services in a way which still produces a profit. (There’s that nasty P word again, though progressives hate to hear it. It’s still a requirement to sustain private enterprise.)

ALL of it here:
Ohio Dem seeks to legislate triple pay for retail workers on holidays Hot Air
In other words, this is... "I'm a progtard democrap, and I will whore myself out for your vote even on the most ridiculous idea on the planet."

When low-margin businesses have to keep their doors closed on holidays, giving up business to others, perhaps another law will be passed forcing them to be open.
That'll teach 'em!
And here's yet another strawman. Nice work Mac.

So I guess you don't know what a straw man is. I didn't put words in anyone's mouth.

You're trying too hard.

I'm just trying to think like a hardcore left wing partisan ideologue like you.

When low-margin businesses have to keep their doors closed on holidays, giving up business to others, perhaps another law will be passed forcing them to be open.
That'll teach 'em!

So I guess you don't know what a straw man is. I didn't put words in anyone's mouth.

You're trying too hard.

Yes, do tell us, what is a strawman? Is it maybe like well, why 3x, make them pay 10x? Yep.

If you agreed with me I'd be in a lot of trouble. Morons never do.

IF THE CUSTOMER is DEMANDING that the stores be opened on Holidays as some here claim, then they won't mind paying a penny or two more in price.... right?

For someone who has retail management experience you sure lack an understanding of basic business concepts. It's not customer demand, it's market demand. People are willing to buy. People want to buy when receiving deals. Other businesses are willing to be open at certain times, and to sell at certain prices. So the market demand is for Company X to make their goods available at competitive prices, with competitively appealing deals, and at times that capitalize on opportunity to make sales before the customer goes somewhere else.

swoosh!
is 'the market demand' some inanimate object Swim?

I thoroughly understand how advertising and promotions and the competition relationship works.

You just keep missing my POINT, and I am beginning to wonder if it is just because you like to hear yourself speak, or just want to debate someone on anything, anything at all, so that you won't get bored????

I came in to this thread because Roadrunner said the businesses opened on Thanksgiving or Holidays because the customers DEMANDED IT, and NOT because the businesses chose, out of their own free will, to do such, so they could increase their sales....

My stance is that the customers did not demand the stores to be opened on holidays, that it was the department store's corporate office that made this decision and spent a ton on advertising to pull the customers away from their T-Day dinner and football, to come in and shop....THAT is how this began.... and I'll stick to that, because it is the truth.

That'll teach 'em!

You're trying too hard.

Yes, do tell us, what is a strawman? Is it maybe like well, why 3x, make them pay 10x? Yep.
I don't agree with you because you're a moron.

That'll teach 'em!

You're trying too hard.

You don't agree with me because you're a know-nothing idiot, but that's entirely understandable, Americans are dumb as dogshit, especially about economics.

That'll teach 'em!

You're trying too hard.

You don't agree with me because you're a know-nothing idiot, but that's entirely understandable.
I know it's not your place to say what a business pays. I know you think the government should get involved to supplement your $2/hour skill level.

You're trying too hard.

You don't agree with me because you're a know-nothing idiot, but that's entirely understandable.
I know it's not your place to say what a business pays. I know you think the government should get involved to supplement your $2/hour skill level.
You know nothing, which is the problem.

Forum List

Back