Obama Spokesperson Claims Straight Couples Are Ruining Marriage

This is not an argument ^ it's a pussified bloviation without substance.

I think it's more because people are living together due to the fact that there are more government handouts available to a single woman with children that has no formal education and is low income. Statistics show that those with high school education or less are not getting married and educated people, i.e. bachelor degree or higher are still getting married at approximately the same rate. They don't need the government handout, so they don't need to stay single.

In U.S., Proportion Married at Lowest Recorded Levels - Population Reference Bureau

A Growing Marriage Gap
Results from the Census Bureau's CPS, released in September 2010, show that the decline in marriage rates continued in 2010.5 Marriage rates have dropped among all major racial/ethnic groups and for both men and women. However, there are substantial differences in marriage trends by level of education. CPS data show that those with only a high school diploma (or less) have experienced a steep decline in marriage during the past decade. In contrast, marriage rates have held fairly steady for those with at least a bachelor's degree.

Between 2000 and 2010, the proportion of young adults who are married dropped 10 percentage points (to 44 percent) for those with a high school diploma or less. For those with at least a bachelor's degree, the percent married dropped only 4 percentage points, to 52 percent. This divergence in trends has led to a growing "marriage gap" between those at different ends of the educational scale.6

The marriage gap used to be reversed. Prior to the 1990s, marriage rates among those with a high school diploma or less were higher than those with a four-year college education. The college-educated were more likely to postpone marriage compared with those in less-educated groups. Marriage rates today look very different, with higher proportions of young, highly educated adults entering formal unions, and a sharp drop among those with less education.

It's relatively the same in the l;ast ten years, but on the decline nonetheless.

Hey, whatever makes you happy dude, this is about the 15th comment you've made about it, but I'm not really sure to what end? Many that are divorced get remarried and don't stay single, so it's a constantly moving target. In the link that you provided I have no idea how they're measuring their numbers, don't have enough time to look, but you might want to read it to learn the details. Ya know, since you're so obsessed with it. :lol:

For gay couples to be contributing to the degradation of marriage, they would first have to be married. In our country, gay marriage is a very new and overall extremely rare occurrence.

One in three - so it's dropping? Last I knew, we were around a 50/50% chance of survival. Britney Spears, Kim Kardashian, Rush Limbaugh, Larry King, Hugh Hefner; marriage has been a joke for a very long time. I don't see how LGBT can do any worse by it.

I used to think the same of women politicians.

They can't be any worse than men.

Then came Hillary, Pelosi, Boxer, Sheila Jackson-Lee.......

HIlary%20Rosen.jpg

Hilary Rosen, who claimed Ann Romney never worked a day in her life was on "This Week" on ABC saying that straight couples were tearing down the institution of marriage. She claimed that because 1 in 3 marriages end in divorce it proves that straight couples don't make the best marriages. Never mind that she's a lesbian and has switched partners and has adoptive children from the union.

Seems to me the Obama Administration wants to make straight couples out to be bigots, strange, abnormal, whatever negative connotation you can dream up.

So is this to be the new normal?

"Here's one more sort of nonpolitical point, which is, you know, sorry, but straight people don't need any help tearing down the institution of marriage. You're doing just fine as it is. One in three divorces. You know, come on."

"The irony is that really, gay people are looking to do the most conservative thing. They want to fight in the armed forces, you know, to protect our country, and they want to join the institution of marriage, loving committed couples raising children. That, you know, I don't know that that's a conversation that the president ought to have on the campaign trail every day, but I do think it's something we ought to recognize and acknowledge."http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/05/14/Rosen-back-lesbian-divorce

Not only is this short-sighted but is is also discriminatory. Using a one-sided statistic to claim that straights are screwing up the institution of marriage while forgetting that statistics show that Gay couples stay together an average of 6 years while straights stay together an average of 18 according to a study published in Time Magazine back in 2004. Behavior: Do Gay Couples Have An Edge? - TIME

I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but I think Hilary Rosen is. It appears that the left wants us to think that straights are odd and Gays are more acceptable, more admirable, more reliable. Seems to me they want to turn the tables on their targets, straight people. Guess being a liberal means you're black, Muslim, a feminist, and are also Gay......or at least support all of the above. If you're not a liberal or an Obama supporter you're a hater.

Honestly.....who's really showing hatred here now.

So tell us why the divorce rate is so high?

Ask G.T.
He seems to want make that point.

I think it's because of the deterioration of society. Too many kids getting married for the wrong reasons. Too many alternatives. Take your pick.

Last edited:
I think it's more because people are living together due to the fact that there are more government handouts available to a single woman with children that has no formal education and is low income. Statistics show that those with high school education or less are not getting married and educated people, i.e. bachelor degree or higher are still getting married at approximately the same rate. They don't need the government handout, so they don't need to stay single.

In U.S., Proportion Married at Lowest Recorded Levels - Population Reference Bureau

It's relatively the same in the l;ast ten years, but on the decline nonetheless.

Hey, whatever makes you happy dude, this is about the 15th comment you've made about it, but I'm not really sure to what end? Many that are divorced get remarried and don't stay single, so it's a constantly moving target. In the link that you provided I have no idea how they're measuring their numbers, don't have enough time to look, but you might want to read it to learn the details. Ya know, since you're so obsessed with it. :lol:

Numbers don't lie, is all I can tell you. Marriage is and has been on the decline for quite some time, amongst all of the population. http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/p70-125.pdf

HIlary%20Rosen.jpg

Hilary Rosen, who claimed Ann Romney never worked a day in her life was on "This Week" on ABC saying that straight couples were tearing down the institution of marriage. She claimed that because 1 in 3 marriages end in divorce it proves that straight couples don't make the best marriages. Never mind that she's a lesbian and has switched partners and has adoptive children from the union.

Seems to me the Obama Administration wants to make straight couples out to be bigots, strange, abnormal, whatever negative connotation you can dream up.

So is this to be the new normal?

Not only is this short-sighted but is is also discriminatory. Using a one-sided statistic to claim that straights are screwing up the institution of marriage while forgetting that statistics show that Gay couples stay together an average of 6 years while straights stay together an average of 18 according to a study published in Time Magazine back in 2004. Behavior: Do Gay Couples Have An Edge? - TIME

I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but I think Hilary Rosen is. It appears that the left wants us to think that straights are odd and Gays are more acceptable, more admirable, more reliable. Seems to me they want to turn the tables on their targets, straight people. Guess being a liberal means you're black, Muslim, a feminist, and are also Gay......or at least support all of the above. If you're not a liberal or an Obama supporter you're a hater.

Honestly.....who's really showing hatred here now.

Ask G.T.

I think it's because of the deteriation of society. Too many kids getting married for the wrong reasons. Too many alternatives. Take your pick.

Well, the number of "kids" getting married is at an all time low, as people are waiting longer and longer until marriage. Again, statistical fact, not fiction, and so the "dumb kids" theory cannot factually explain the increasing divorce rate. http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/p70-125.pdf

But "I think" is always better than "Raw data," huh?

It means a lot.

Rosen points out a stat to which you post one of the reasons for it and claim I'm not living in reality. I'm really not seeing what you're getting at other than you want to show how cynical you can be.

You exactly do NOT see what I'm getting at - it's because you're dumb. No biggy.
I can see you aren't really talking about this thread, or trying to derail it.

I know your point. Marriage isn't trendy and normal families are for sucks and squares. Am I right?

No, you're wrong. I did not make my opinion of marriage, I stated its trend in society as downward, which is a fact, and it was in response to someone's comment stating the opposite, which was *not* fact. That hard?

Ask G.T.

I think it's because of the deteriation of society. Too many kids getting married for the wrong reasons. Too many alternatives. Take your pick.

Well, the number of "kids" getting married is at an all time low, as people are waiting longer and longer until marriage. Again, statistical fact, not fiction, and so the "dumb kids" theory cannot factually explain the increasing divorce rate. http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/p70-125.pdf

Because I'm 55.......>90% of newlyweds are kids to me.

Last edited:
Ask G.T.

Because I'm 55.......>90% are kids to me.

oh gee paw, great answer

You exactly do NOT see what I'm getting at - it's because you're dumb. No biggy.
I can see you aren't really talking about this thread, or trying to derail it.

I know your point. Marriage isn't trendy and normal families are for sucks and squares. Am I right?

No, you're wrong. I did not make my opinion of marriage, I stated its trend in society as downward, which is a fact, and it was in response to someone's comment stating the opposite, which was *not* fact. That hard?

No, it'sd not hard. And it is not my statment ether.

Not my fault you pooped your drawers and feel like pouting.

Myself and others wanted to know what you were getting at?

Forum List

Back