Obama, Leonardo DiCaprio vow efforts to protect the ocean

Did it even MOVE while he had it, hater dupe? What kind of propulsion does it have? Can you be for cutting pollution and still live in the 21st century, according you idiots? LOL!

This is how stupid you are franco, a Yacht owned by an Oil Sheik would run on anything other oil?

You really are a very dense man/woman.

He's got money he earned fairly and rented a yacht for a few days. WTF is your problem lol?

My problem with it?

Don't complain about pollution and then rent the biggest fucking yacht you can find THAT BURNS CARBON FUELS.

Geeeezus franco you are an idiot.

Much like Gore...that asshole has one of the biggest carbon footprints in the world.

Not only that, his family made their fortune off Zinc mining..I always wondered HOW many people realize this?

SNIP:

Environmentalist Gore allowed zinc mine

Updated 3/18/2007 9:40 AM | Comment | Recommend E-mail | Print |

In a valley next to Al Gore Jr.'s farm near Carthage, Tenn., ground limestone left over from zinc mining spreads out like a white blanket. Some of the lime is sold to treat soil that is too acidic.

In a valley next to Al Gore Jr.'s farm near Carthage, Tenn., ground limestone left over from zinc mining spreads out like a white blanket. Some of the lime is sold to treat soil that is too acidic.

CARTHAGE, Tenn. While area zinc mines have a good environmental track record, according to state officials and regulatory reports, abandoned zinc mines in the tri-state area of Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri caused one of the worst environmental disasters in the country.

Four thousand mines in the area operating from the 19th century until 1970 produced 23 million tons of zinc concentrates and 4 million tons of lead concentrates.

Near the end of mining, some companies mined the pillars of rock supporting the mine roofs. This caused 500 collapses in the area.

More damage was caused when the abandoned mines filled up with water creating an acidic stew that dissolved metals, some very toxic. This water then contaminated nearby ground and surface water.

Finally, the leftover waste rock from mining covered 4,000 acres in the area.

As a result:

• Sites in the area were placed on the Environmental Protection Agency's Superfund list after toxic levels of lead, cadmium and zinc were found in the soil and groundwater.

• A University of Kansas School of Medicine study found an unusually high incidence of cancer, particularly lung cancer in two Kansas counties.

• Several families had to be moved out of their homes after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a health advisory.

• Thousands were taken off well water, put on public water systems and had the soil in their yards cleaned.

Overall, the cleanup has cost millions, all borne by residents and taxpayers because the former owners had long ago gone out of business.

Tennessee environmental officials say, and Ronald Cohen, a professor at the Colorado School of Mines agrees, that the Carthage area mines are protected from acid runoff because the zinc ore is contained in limestone, which neutralizes acid.

CARTHAGE, Tenn. — Al Gore has profited from zinc mining that has released millions of pounds of potentially toxic substances near his farmstead, but there is no evidence the mine has caused serious damage to the environment in the area or threatened the health of his neighbors.

Massive white mountains of leftover rock waste are evidence of three decades of mining that earned Gore $570,000 in royalty payments for the mineral rights to his property.

New owners plan to start mining again later this year, after nearly four years of inactivity. In addition to bringing 250 much-needed jobs to rural middle Tennessee, mine owners will resume paying royalties to some residents who, like Gore, own land adjacent to the mine and leased access to the zinc under their property.

Gore has yet to be approached by the new owner, Strategic Resource Acquisition, said his spokeswoman Kalee Kreider, and he and wife, Tipper, have not decided whether they will renew their lease. It was terminated when the mine closed in 2003.

Last week, Gore sent a letter asking the company to work with Earthworks, a national environmental group, to make sure the operation doesn't damage the environment.

"We would like for you to engage with us in a process to ensure that the mine becomes a global example of environmental best practices," Gore wrote.

Victor Wyprysky, the company's president and chief executive officer, did not respond to requests for comment on the letter.

The letter was sent the week after Gannett News Service posed questions to the former vice president about his involvement with the mine.

Previous mine owners released toxic substances into waterways above the allowable levels several times in the eight years before the mine closed.

But state regulators consider those permit violations minor and monitoring reports provide a clean bill of health for the rivers in the area, which are a source of drinking water. Community leaders and health officials recall no health problems ever associated with the mining.

But now that the mine is reopening and Gore's status as an environmentalist has grown, some of Gore's neighbors see a conflict between the mining and his moral call for environmental activism.
"Mining is not exactly synonymous with being green, is it?" said John Mullins, who lives in nearby Cookeville.

ALL of it here
Environmentalist Gore allowed zinc mine - USATODAY.com

oh noooooooo! people who give a flying about the planet and aren't waiting for G-d to save them.

:cuckoo:

ah yes----the claim that Christians don't care about the planet. :lol:

I don't know about all christians but a bunch who post here say they're gonna get raptured or some such crap like that there so what do they care about the planet?

He's got money he earned fairly and rented a yacht for a few days. WTF is your problem lol?

My problem with it?

Don't complain about pollution and then rent the biggest fucking yacht you can find THAT BURNS CARBON FUELS.

Much like Gore...that asshole has one of the biggest carbon footprints in the world.

Not only that, his family made their fortune off Zinc mining..I always wondered HOW many people realize this?

SNIP:

CARTHAGE, Tenn. While area zinc mines have a good environmental track record, according to state officials and regulatory reports, abandoned zinc mines in the tri-state area of Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri caused one of the worst environmental disasters in the country.

Four thousand mines in the area operating from the 19th century until 1970 produced 23 million tons of zinc concentrates and 4 million tons of lead concentrates.

Near the end of mining, some companies mined the pillars of rock supporting the mine roofs. This caused 500 collapses in the area.

More damage was caused when the abandoned mines filled up with water creating an acidic stew that dissolved metals, some very toxic. This water then contaminated nearby ground and surface water.

As a result:

• Sites in the area were placed on the Environmental Protection Agency's Superfund list after toxic levels of lead, cadmium and zinc were found in the soil and groundwater.

• A University of Kansas School of Medicine study found an unusually high incidence of cancer, particularly lung cancer in two Kansas counties.

• Several families had to be moved out of their homes after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a health advisory.

• Thousands were taken off well water, put on public water systems and had the soil in their yards cleaned.

Overall, the cleanup has cost millions, all borne by residents and taxpayers because the former owners had long ago gone out of business.

Tennessee environmental officials say, and Ronald Cohen, a professor at the Colorado School of Mines agrees, that the Carthage area mines are protected from acid runoff because the zinc ore is contained in limestone, which neutralizes acid.

CARTHAGE, Tenn. — Al Gore has profited from zinc mining that has released millions of pounds of potentially toxic substances near his farmstead, but there is no evidence the mine has caused serious damage to the environment in the area or threatened the health of his neighbors.

Massive white mountains of leftover rock waste are evidence of three decades of mining that earned Gore $570,000 in royalty payments for the mineral rights to his property.

New owners plan to start mining again later this year, after nearly four years of inactivity. In addition to bringing 250 much-needed jobs to rural middle Tennessee, mine owners will resume paying royalties to some residents who, like Gore, own land adjacent to the mine and leased access to the zinc under their property.

Gore has yet to be approached by the new owner, Strategic Resource Acquisition, said his spokeswoman Kalee Kreider, and he and wife, Tipper, have not decided whether they will renew their lease. It was terminated when the mine closed in 2003.

Last week, Gore sent a letter asking the company to work with Earthworks, a national environmental group, to make sure the operation doesn't damage the environment.

"We would like for you to engage with us in a process to ensure that the mine becomes a global example of environmental best practices," Gore wrote.

Victor Wyprysky, the company's president and chief executive officer, did not respond to requests for comment on the letter.

The letter was sent the week after Gannett News Service posed questions to the former vice president about his involvement with the mine.

Previous mine owners released toxic substances into waterways above the allowable levels several times in the eight years before the mine closed.

But state regulators consider those permit violations minor and monitoring reports provide a clean bill of health for the rivers in the area, which are a source of drinking water. Community leaders and health officials recall no health problems ever associated with the mining.

But now that the mine is reopening and Gore's status as an environmentalist has grown, some of Gore's neighbors see a conflict between the mining and his moral call for environmental activism.
"Mining is not exactly synonymous with being green, is it?" said John Mullins, who lives in nearby Cookeville.

ALL of it here

"We would like for you to engage with us in a process to ensure that the mine becomes a global example of environmental best practices,"
Gore wrote.

I'm not saying that Gore or DiCaprio are perfect but clearly, there is just a bit more to this story than LIAR staph admits.

Meanwhile, what has the right done?

They filibuster on the behalf of big oil, big busiess, big polluters.

Wiki"
:Engineer Mubarak Saad al Ahbabi directed the construction of Azzam, with technical engineering by Lürssen including design by Nauta Yachts and interior design by Christophe Leoni. Following a year of engineering, the yacht was built in three years, which is a record building time according to Superyacht Times. Azzam possesses the ability to travel at high speed in warm and shallow waters while providing luxurious and sophisticated accommodations. [4]

Features[edit]
Among many other features, the yacht has a main salon with a length of 29 m and a beam of 18 m with an open plan and no pillars. She will travel in excess of 32 knots powered by a combination of two gas turbines and two diesel engines with a total power output of 70 MW (94,000 hp) [5] through four pump-jets,[6] two of which are non-movable round water outlets in the middle of the stern, and two with thrust vectoring capabilities using moveable duct water outlets positioned on either side of the non-movable ones. The yacht was delivered on 9 September 2013.

Sounds like it's advanced as possible, can travel shallow waters without damage. But carry on with the brainwashed hate fest lol...

Yup, Booosh inexplicably did 2 good things, that reserve and the Africa Aids thing...life is crazy...lol.

Last edited:
Wiki"
:Engineer Mubarak Saad al Ahbabi directed the construction of Azzam, with technical engineering by Lürssen including design by Nauta Yachts and interior design by Christophe Leoni. Following a year of engineering, the yacht was built in three years, which is a record building time according to Superyacht Times. Azzam possesses the ability to travel at high speed in warm and shallow waters while providing luxurious and sophisticated accommodations. [4]

Features[edit]
Among many other features, the yacht has a main salon with a length of 29 m and a beam of 18 m with an open plan and no pillars. She will travel in excess of 32 knots powered by a combination of two gas turbines and two diesel engines with a total power output of 70 MW (94,000 hp) [5] through four pump-jets,[6] two of which are non-movable round water outlets in the middle of the stern, and two with thrust vectoring capabilities using moveable duct water outlets positioned on either side of the non-movable ones. The yacht was delivered on 9 September 2013.

Sounds like it's advanced as possible, can travel shallow waters without damage. But carry on with the brainwashed hate fest lol...

Yup, Booosh inexplicable did 2 good things, that reserve and the Africa Aids thing...life is crazy...lol.

Carbon Fuels dickwad.

I wonder what Leo thinks about Obama giving the wind industry a 30 year permit to kill endangered birds...or if he even thinks.

My problem with it?

SNIP:

As a result:

ALL of it here

"We would like for you to engage with us in a process to ensure that the mine becomes a global example of environmental best practices,"
Gore wrote.

I'm not saying that Gore or DiCaprio are perfect but clearly, there is just a bit more to this story than LIAR staph admits.

Meanwhile, what has the right done?

They filibuster on the behalf of big oil, big busiess, big polluters.

I guess you did not read my post about what Bush did and his Blue Water Legacy. You want to know what republicans have done?

George W. Bush using the Antiquities Act, Northwestern Hawaiian Islands National Monument protects roughly 140,000 square miles (360,000 km2) of the Pacific Ocean, larger than all of America's national parks combined.

Richard Nixon

Under Nixon, the Environmental Protection Agency was created, Environmental Impact Assessments became a familiar task for federal agencies, and the Clean Air Act, the National Environmental Policy Act, the Environmental Pesticide Control Act, and the Endangered Species Act all became law.

George Bush 41

The Clean Air Act was strengthened immensely under his watch, leading both to a cleanup of acid rain and a reduction in smog.

Russell Train

The second administrator of Nixon’s Environmental Protection Agency, Train was in many ways its conceptual father. To Republicans in the 1960s, he was Mr. Environment.

The Princeton- and Columbia-trained attorney established his bona fides in the Republican establishment in the 1950s as a congressional aide and Treasury Department lawyer. All the while, he was a serious shaper of the nascent conservation movement. In 1961, he founded the African Wildlife Foundation, which he chaired until 1969. He helped found, and later was named chairman emeritus of, the World Wildlife Fund. He helped to establish the College of African Wildlife Management in Tanzania, and later served as president of The Conservation Foundation.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/po...ther-era-who-helped-the-environment/green-gop

Hey, Leo DiCaprio once played a passenger on the Titanic. Qualifying him as an expert in oceanography seems right.

No shit
Just who I want MY PRESIDENT to team up with and pass Regulations on us to save the ocean...Next they'll be saving the skies, the sun and the moon

For all the Global warming nut-jobs- Let me know if you want to go snipe hunting. I will let you hold the bag

-Geaux

Forum List

Back