Obama and his student loan claims

Or you can do it the old fashioned way and get a job and work your way thru.

Yes, in old fashioned times it used to be that way. I worked my way through college working Minimum wage summer jobs at $2 an hour. I am not naive enough to expect college kids to do the same at $7.50 an hour and $35,000 a year tuition

But fairly easy to do at say the University of New Mexico where the spring, summer, and fall tuition for a full course load will cost in state students less than $10,000 per year. Subtract maybe a Pell grant, merit a scholarship or two, do some volunteer work in return for some student discounts, take out student loans when you have to, and you can still work your way through college.

I have a family member who didn't have to pay much of anything for a master's and PhD at Stanford? How? A 4.0 GPA and graduation with honors from the nearby relatively inexpensive state university earned her acceptance and attractive financial packages from all seven top graduate schools to which she applied. She choose Stanford. She still had some hefty student loans preferring to go that route during times she needed to work less and focus more on her academic projects. But she also has qualified for jobs that allowed her to pay them off in fairly short order.

It can still be done for those with the gumption and initiative to do it.

Once again the right points to the extremes and assumes that it applies to all. Not all tuition is $10,000 a year, not all students are 4.0 GPA Stanford candidates

We need to develop solutions that fit the needs of all students. Not just those who live in states with low cost tuitions or off the charts GPAs.

Yes, in old fashioned times it used to be that way. I worked my way through college working Minimum wage summer jobs at $2 an hour. I am not naive enough to expect college kids to do the same at $7.50 an hour and $35,000 a year tuition

Not all colleges are 35K a year.. and even in your time you were not going to work your way thru MIT or Yale on a minimum wage job

but nice try

Thus the extensive student loans, Dave. They can total ten and scores of thousands of dollars. And they have to be paid.

But fairly easy to do at say the University of New Mexico where the spring, summer, and fall tuition for a full course load will cost in state students less than $10,000 per year. Subtract maybe a Pell grant, merit a scholarship or two, do some volunteer work in return for some student discounts, take out student loans when you have to, and you can still work your way through college.

I have a family member who didn't have to pay much of anything for a master's and PhD at Stanford? How? A 4.0 GPA and graduation with honors from the nearby relatively inexpensive state university earned her acceptance and attractive financial packages from all seven top graduate schools to which she applied. She choose Stanford. She still had some hefty student loans preferring to go that route during times she needed to work less and focus more on her academic projects. But she also has qualified for jobs that allowed her to pay them off in fairly short order.

It can still be done for those with the gumption and initiative to do it.

Once again the right points to the extremes and assumes that it applies to all. Not all tuition is $10,000 a year, not all students are 4.0 GPA Stanford candidates

We need to develop solutions that fit the needs of all students. Not just those who live in states with low cost tuitions or off the charts GPAs.

NO we don't as a government.. because your education as an adult is not a right nor guaranteed to you.. it is a personal choice and a personal want... not to mention a personal responsibility...

You can UoP it.. you can community college it for the first 60 credits and achieve to gain a scholarship.. you can join the military for the GI bill... you can save before you attend.. you can gain employment at a business that offers tuition reimbursement or assistance... the list goes on... it is not society's responsibility nor is it government's

Not all colleges are 35K a year.. and even in your time you were not going to work your way thru MIT or Yale on a minimum wage job

but nice try

Thus the extensive student loans, Dave. They can total ten and scores of thousands of dollars. And they have to be paid.

And it is your choice to take them.. and your responsibility to pay them... or to go the various other routes listed before

but nice try

At the time I was paying tuition at a State University of $650 a year. A private university was $2000 to $3000 a year and Ivy League was around $4000 tuition.

Working your way through college in the 1970s was relatively easy even with minimum wage jobs. Today, you are looking at debt regardless of how industrious you may be.

The point is that minimum wage has not kept up with the cost of living and Colleges (both public and private ) have escalated their costs

Wait, I thought Al Qaeda....or Bill Ayers...Or the Saudis...or somebody like that financed his education.

The rightwing talking points are getting their wires crossed.

Sure....you can always ask Daddy to pay

$35k a year? My son's university only charges around $17k a year and he's in a STEM major that has companies waiting on them to graduate to jobs making $70k to start. Life is about choices. Smart choices are best. There is affordable education to be had......that can be paid for.

but nice try

At the time I was paying tuition at a State University of $650 a year. A private university was $2000 to $3000 a year and Ivy League was around $4000 tuition.

Working your way through college in the 1970s was relatively easy even with minimum wage jobs. Today, you are looking at debt regardless of how industrious you may be.

The point is that minimum wage has not kept up with the cost of living and Colleges (both public and private ) have escalated their costs

Minimum wage is a starter wage... and never meant to support you in seeking an education in the Ivy League or some prestigious university.... I even knew in the 80's that I was not going to work at $3.35 or $3.85 and pay for a college... nor should I think that a minimum wage job should fund a primo education

But then again.. I am not of the leaning or thought that my adult education should be easy or made easy for me.. financially or otherwise

Attempting to lump himself in with the common folk and their situations of struggle.. while he was making what he tries to label everyone else now as 'rich'... that is indeed pandering

It's a campaign gimmick of course and therefore forgivable. All candidates use campaign gimmicks to get elected. Romney has been struggling for a message through this entire campaign period, and I think as of Tuesday night he had finally honed in on a theme that will resonate with those who don't want a leftwing clueless person in the White House.

Or is Obama clueless?

Why didn't he want to go on to serve at the Supreme Court which his credentials at Harvard would have given him a foot in the door? Who would turn down that opportunity in favor of a poorly defined 'private law practice' and some sort of 'community work'? Nothing in his background or activities suggest he has any altruistic motives of any kind.

Or has he been groomed from the beginning--put into all those prestigious schools by design? By whom? We don't know. The record is sealed.

And was the intent to return to Illinois based on the promise that the strings had already been pulled for him to enter the Illinois State legislature? For Michelle to receive a double six figure salary for which she had zero expertise or training. And a million dollar house would be made magically possible? And from there election to the U.S. Senate? And from there the Presidency? Who else with as thin credentials as Obama possesed, no family with any connections, a poor kid of limited means and strapped with a huge college debt and an extremely thin resume would have enjoyed such a meteroic rise?

We'll never know. The records are sealed.

I'd like to know who the poor slob is that had to trade places with him? :lol:

View attachment 18555

The thing is, any who start digging into or questioning this stuff are immediately trashed, investigated themselves, accused of racism or rightwingnut-ism or some such. The mainstream media simply lacks any curiosity about it whatsoever while they swarm anybody else, most especially somebody on the right, on the thinnest suggestion that there might be something interesting to discover.

Look at all the anomalies. One example: that Nobel Peace Prize. What possibly motivated or persuaded a group who generally have despised America and Americans to give the prize to somebody who had done absolutely nothing to earn or deserve it? But the media didn't even try to find out did they? The lack of interest in that was nothing short of miraculous in a time in which the slightest misspeak or gesture or failure to act on the part of others merits days of intense scrutiny, discussion, condemnation, and specualation.

Anybody who is intellectually honest knows that we have an incompetent President who was the least vetted President we have ever had in the history of this country. No other President would ever be able to get away with so much unchallenged secrecy. And the leftwing media that supports him doesn't care. His supporters more often condemn anybody who even asks potentially embarrassing questions.

Who is he and what is his motivation really?

The obvious question about those student loans are just the tip of the iceberg.

Regardless, student loans are a major burden on college graduates today. starting out life with meager employment prospects and a major debt to pay is rough. And yes, both he President and his wife had to pay off significant debt. Law degrees do not come cheaply

Then maybe Obama should get Government out of helping people pay for the loans being Government has been doing it for a long time and we're yet to see the "pay off" seeing as tuition keeps climbing.

Some would argue that the costs of tuition going up is directly linked to Government subsidizing students to go to school when it would normally be unaffordable. Meaning collage's would have to either take less students (a lot less) and deal with the huge loss in revenues, like 50% or more, or make it more affordable, shift to online classes and update/change the system via the internet to get the quality of education higher while bringing down the costs... It would be a lot like the evolution we see in plants and animals.

It’s actually quite amazing how identical the economy and the theory of evolution is. A weak business dies and new one that evolves their business plan and practice move in… unless you subsidize… then you have a business that infested with disease and rot that should normally die off, but with the help of Government it just keeps getting worse until a plague outbreak happens and you have the 2008 crash… Oddly there was mass stimulus, not allowing enough of the liquidation of the bad debt or “disease and rot” leading to the slowest recovery in US history. Chances are great that we will enter a new a deep recession if not depression before we get out of the “Great Recession.”

but nice try

Back to my KIA/Lexus analogy. Just because a Lexus exists does not mean you should get one when you can only afford a KIA. And no one else is responsible for giving you a Lexus because you want one. What is with all of this entitlement crap from the left?

but nice try

Bravo to your work ethic.

Too bad you stopped considering alternatives.

1. For a real-world perspective on the American ethic, find the Alan Shepard book, “Scratch Beginnings, in which the author recounts his own social experiment, at age 24, starting out at the lowest rung of the economic ladder. The question: could he conquer poverty in one year at his best efforts?

2. He left his home with nothing but a tarp, sleeping bag, an empty gym bag, the clothes on his back, and $25. The went to Charleston, South Carolina…a city where he had never been before, and where he knew nobody. He didn’t use his college education as a resume, nor any family or other contacts.

3. The first night he finds the Crisis Ministries homeless shelter, and, next morning, begins working odd jobs. Within a few weeks, he gets a regular job with a moving company. He moonlights on weekends to make extra money.

4. He makes friends and contacts, and these help him to find jobs and housing…Within five months, he gets a raise from the moving company to $10/ hour. And another, to $11/hour in less than nine months.

5. Progress was retarded by breaking his foot on the job, yet by three months he was able to move out of the homeless shelter and rent a room in a large house in an upscale part of town. (It was owned by a friend he met while working a second job on weekends.) Then, just a month later, he moved into a two-bedroom duplex with the cousin of one of his co-workers. It was a bit rundown, so the two of them spent a week-end making it like new. (His share was $325 because he took the master bedroom.)

6. After just ten months he was living in his own furnished apartment, with his own car, and he had $5,300 in savings.

a. The book also tells of other low-income people he met, and how they, also, would like a safety net second to their own work,

"Scratch Beginnings: Me, $25, and the Search for the American Dream" [Paperback]
Adam W. Shepard (Author)

Stop cryin,' start tryin.'

I think you have a very valid point. The cost of higher education has grossly outpaced the rate of inflation, particularly over the past decade, and as a result few people can do today what you did 30-40 years ago. Hell, even in the 90s it wasn't as bad. My father had moved out to Las Vegas in 93. My older brother graduated high school in 94 and moved out there with my dad. He only needed to live there for six months to establish residency and then was able to get the in state tuition rate of $2500 year at UNLV. You can't find that any more.

It's getting near impossible for someone to pay their way through school if they're enrolled full time. It's certainly doable if you go part time, but it's going to take much longer.

Regardless, student loans are a major burden on college graduates today. starting out life with meager employment prospects and a major debt to pay is rough. And yes, both he President and his wife had to pay off significant debt. Law degrees do not come cheaply

Then maybe Obama should get Government out of helping people pay for the loans being Government has been doing it for a long time and we're yet to see the "pay off" seeing as tuition keeps climbing.

Some would argue that the costs of tuition going up is directly linked to Government subsidizing students to go to school when it would normally be unaffordable. Meaning collage's would have to either take less students (a lot less) and deal with the huge loss in revenues, like 50% or more, or make it more affordable, shift to online classes and update/change the system via the internet to get the quality of education higher while bringing down the costs... It would be a lot like the evolution we see in plants and animals.

It’s actually quite amazing how identical the economy and the theory of evolution is. A weak business dies and new one that evolves their business plan and practice move in… unless you subsidize… then you have a business that infested with disease and rot that should normally die off, but with the help of Government it just keeps getting worse until a plague outbreak happens and you have the 2008 crash… Oddly there was mass stimulus, not allowing enough of the liquidation of the bad debt or “disease and rot” leading to the slowest recovery in US history. Chances are great that we will enter a new a deep recession if not depression before we get out of the “Great Recession.”

Shame on you Avory for using evolution as an example. You know they won't buy your argument since everyone knows that conservatives don't believe in science! ;)

but nice try

1. For a real-world perspective on the American ethic, find the Alan Shepard book, “Scratch Beginnings, in which the author recounts his own social experiment, at age 24, starting out at the lowest rung of the economic ladder. The question: could he conquer poverty in one year at his best efforts?

2. He left his home with nothing but a tarp, sleeping bag, an empty gym bag, the clothes on his back, and $25. The went to Charleston, South Carolina…a city where he had never been before, and where he knew nobody. He didn’t use his college education as a resume, nor any family or other contacts.

3. The first night he finds the Crisis Ministries homeless shelter, and, next morning, begins working odd jobs. Within a few weeks, he gets a regular job with a moving company. He moonlights on weekends to make extra money.

4. He makes friends and contacts, and these help him to find jobs and housing…Within five months, he gets a raise from the moving company to $10/ hour. And another, to $11/hour in less than nine months.

5. Progress was retarded by breaking his foot on the job, yet by three months he was able to move out of the homeless shelter and rent a room in a large house in an upscale part of town. (It was owned by a friend he met while working a second job on weekends.) Then, just a month later, he moved into a two-bedroom duplex with the cousin of one of his co-workers. It was a bit rundown, so the two of them spent a week-end making it like new. (His share was $325 because he took the master bedroom.)

6. After just ten months he was living in his own furnished apartment, with his own car, and he had $5,300 in savings.

a. The book also tells of other low-income people he met, and how they, also, would like a safety net second to their own work,

"Scratch Beginnings: Me, $25, and the Search for the American Dream" [Paperback]
Adam W. Shepard (Author)

Yeah dude, but that requires like.......doing stuff. :eusa_hand:

I think you have a very valid point. The cost of higher education has grossly outpaced the rate of inflation, particularly over the past decade, and as a result few people can do today what you did 30-40 years ago. Hell, even in the 90s it wasn't as bad. My father had moved out to Las Vegas in 93. My older brother graduated high school in 94 and moved out there with my dad. He only needed to live there for six months to establish residency and then was able to get the in state tuition rate of $2500 year at UNLV. You can't find that any more.

It's getting near impossible for someone to pay their way through school if they're enrolled full time. It's certainly doable if you go part time, but it's going to take much longer.

"This analysis yields the following tips for graduating with an undergraduate degree and no debt:
• Enroll at an in-state public college. 85% of undergraduate students who graduate with no debt
graduated from public colleges, with almost 78% enrolled in an in-state public college. State
appropriations help public colleges keep tuition low for state residents.
• Do not enroll at a for-profit college. Less than 7% of students enrolled in for-profit colleges
graduated with no debt, compared with 30% at non-profit colleges and 51% at public colleges.
• Enroll in a 2-year or shorter program. Half of students who graduate with no debt graduated
from a community college. (A third graduated from a public 4-year college.) 61% of students
receiving an Associate’s degree from a public college graduated with no debt. 68% of students
receiving a Certificate from a public college graduated with no debt. This compares with slightly
more than a third of students receiving a Bachelor’s degree.
• Enroll in a low-cost college. 88% of students who graduate with no debt graduated from a
college with tuition and fees under $10,000. 57% graduated from a college with a total cost of
attendance under $10,000 and 86% graduated from colleges with a total cost of attendance under
$20,000.
• Spend less on textbooks. Three quarters of students who graduate without debt spent $1,000 or
less per year on textbooks.
• Live at home with your parents. Students who live at home with their parents are more likely to
graduate without debt than other students. (Better to have a child live at home while enrolled in
college than to be forced to live at home after graduating from college because of too much debt.)
• Choose your parents wisely. 56% of upper-income undergraduate students graduated with no
debt, compared with 36% of low-income students and 45% of middle-income students. Students
whose parents have advanced degrees are more likely to graduate without debt, probably because
their parents have higher average income. More than two thirds of students who graduated
without debt receive help paying for tuition and fees from their parents. A small percentage of - 2 -
students graduated with no federal or private student loan debt because their parents borrowed
from the Parent PLUS loan program instead."
http://www.fastweb.com/nfs/fastweb/static/PDFs/Graduating_without_debt.pdf

Here's one more:
ROTC....

.....imagine going to college with the idea of serving your country, rather than looking to have your neighbors pay for your college.....

Adam W. Shepard (Author)

Yeah dude, but that requires like.......doing stuff. :eusa_hand:

My bud went to Yale on ROTC...on the day he graduated, he was commissioned in Armored Cav.

So it takes longer. So it's tougher for the kid who doesn't have wealthy parents or a sugar daddy willing to finance his/her education. So maybe you have to buy a Kia instead of the Lexus. It is still doable.

In 1965 tuition and fees at Harvard was about $1800/term or $5,400/year if you went year round full time. That might as well have been a million for the family earning $15,000/year which would have been pretty average back then. Without pretty much a full scholarship, the poor kid wasn't going to go there.

In 1990 tuition at Harvard Law, the year Obama presumably graduated, was $13,400/year. Again prohibitive for the average American family at that time but nevertheless, if Obama had taken out the full $40,000 in student loans to finance three years of Law school, $40,000 is a pretty modest student loan balance to pay off these days.

The tuition at Harvard now averages about $35,000/year. Without pretty much a full scholarship or somebody to otherwise bankroll that, the poor kid isn't going to go there with or without student loans. And those full scholarships are tough to get as the admission standards are extrenely high.

So did Obama get into Harvard Law as my family member got into Stanford? By graduating Magna cum Laude with additional credentials from an undergraduate school and therefore meriting a full scholarship to continue his education?

Anybody want to offer any odds on that?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back